• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ex-Steelers Cornerback Steven Nelson Talks Upcoming Game vs Steelers

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The secondary for the Pittsburgh Steelers this upcoming season is going to look a lot different than it has in recent past. This specific group has been the downfall of this defense dating back to the early 2000’s, but up until these past few years, this secondary group has been able to hold their own. Obviously, this organization has added some pieces through free agency or trade that has helped ramp up their pass defense in hopes of becoming more of a balanced defensive unit, and trying not to rely so much on the defensive front.

That being said, the Steelers look to be going into this new season with a handful of guys that lack NFL experience in the secondary. It has been reported that early into training camp, defensive coordinator Kevin Butler has been rolling with last year’s returning starter Joe Haden and first year starter Cameron Sutton on the outside, one on one with the opponents top targets. Whoever is going to be named the team’s starting slot corner is still left in question, but as of late it seems the team is showing confidence in 2nd year camp standout James Pierre’s ability to take the starting role and make it his.

What makes this year a bit more interesting is that last year’s former starting corner, Steven Nelson, requested a release from the team after a potential time playing issue sparked. If you watched any Steeler football last year, you would have noticed Nelson as a solid cornerback opposite of Haden, ending the season with 2 interceptions and found himself one on one with many teams’ number one targets. Nelson was someone who this team could confidently rely on both production wise and durability wise, something every team in this league values.

“It’ll be cool to see old teammates and stuff like that, No bad blood there. (I’m) still communicating with my teammates. But I’m an Eagle now. And that’s the way it is,” Nelson said via Eagles.com. He continued. “It seems to be different,” … “Two different coaching staffs. Two different flavors. Wherever you go in the league, it’s going to be a little bit different.”

Whether or not Nelson actually sees the field tonight is left in question. It is his first game with the Eagles organization and even if he hits the field, it will most likely be for a limited amount of time. I don’t think many Steeler fans will be looking for Nelson in the Eagles colors, especially after the terms in which he left. What our eyes will be focused on is this team’s secondary as we still try and find the best group or cornerbacks this team can produce.

Do you think this year’s secondary will be better than last seasons? Comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Well, he kept it pretty toned down didn't he...