• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Final Draft Thoughts

Well--I guess its time to show them if you got them .....

Here ya go..

Steelers first 4 picks
D. Banks - corner - Maryland
D. Hall - Edge - Auburn
J. Battle - S - Alabama
M. Bergeron - OT - Syracuse

Badcat---I would give you a "Like" on that post about Izzy...but I cant because of the "piss on Pitt" comment, even though I'm a Fighting Irish guy first, but when your born and raised a "yinzer"...cant align with your Pitt hate...

Otherwise....good post and analyst about Izzy...I agree.
Being a Pitt grad from the mid-70's, I'll refrain from comment on either school.

Well, I have to admit, it was hysterical listening to 60 something female Irish fans cursing like drunken sailors. walking down cardiac hill, after witnessing a loss they were not expecting.

You know, Tomlin was absolutely giddy at that presser the other day.
Maybe he was that way because he knows the Bengals desperately need a Safety and there is only one available with anywhere near a 1st round grade. One who is projected to be slot capable also. And taking him would not only shore up Safety depth, and give you a viable slot, but would also **** the Bengals like they have ****** the Steelers so many times in the draft.
Although I don't think Branch is the pick at 17 (or should be), it's the last few hours we can throw out our wild and crazy thoughts.
If all the OT's, including Wright, are gone by 17, and they may well be, I'd be OK with Branch, for the reasons you listed.

Here ya go..

Steelers first 4 picks
D. Hall - Edge - Auburn
J. Battle - S - Alabama
I really like Hall, he reminds me off a stable James Harrison. Not sure about Battle. Cool with Banks and Bergeron

Here ya go..

Steelers first 4 picks
D. Hall - Edge - Auburn
J. Battle - S - Alabama
Unlike some, OK 1 poser on this board, I'll predict before the draft.

17. Darnell Wright - OT - Tennessee
32. Darnell Washington - TE - Georgia
49. Drew Sanders - ILB - Arkansas
80. Tyrique Stevenson - CB - Miami

Was Matt Canada present at any of the pro days or other functions for this draft?

The consensus on this OT class is that there are maybe 2 or 3 top prospects, then a few 2nd round talents and the rest are just a bunch of guys.

I think the Steelers want a franchise LT as do most fans but what happens if there’s a run on OT and you get shut out? I’d much rather them take best available skill players than reach and take a 2nd round talent at 1.17 or a 3rd or 4th round talent in round 2.

The Steelers forced the Kendrick Green pick at C a few years ago and we see how that worked out.

We also have to realize that the Steeler OL right now after free agency, is good. It’s not great, it can use that upgrade at OT, but if they don’t add anything, this OL should be able to play well enough to not be a weakness.
Bit of a difference between late 3rd round pick and mid 1st rounder.

Was Matt Canada present at any of the pro days or other functions for this draft?
Apparently not. If he was, it wasn't until very late as there was an article I read about him not being at any pro days, etc.

Being a Pitt grad from the mid-70's, I'll refrain from comment on either school.

Well, I have to admit, it was hysterical listening to 60 something female Irish fans cursing like drunken sailors. walking down cardiac hill, after witnessing a loss they were not expecting.
Fightin' Irish ---Dunkin' Irish.....one in the same man..
;)

My guess for the first 4 rounds (barring any trades):

17. Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee
32. Bryan Bresee, DT, Clemson
49. Tyrique Stevenson, CB, Miami
80. Joe Tippmann, OC, Wisconsin
120. Zach Harrison, DE, Ohio State
Your first two is where I was heading. Stevenson and Tippman I love but don't think either will be there, maybe Stevenson. I know centers tend to slide but in my opinion Tippman is the best of the bunch and will go early round two. I'd love it though.

My guess for the first 4 rounds (barring any trades):

17. Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee
32. Bryan Bresee, DT, Clemson
49. Tyrique Stevenson, CB, Miami
80. Joe Tippmann, OC, Wisconsin
120. Zach Harrison, DE, Ohio State
I would pop some champagne if it played out like this.

Bit of a difference between late 3rd round pick and mid 1st rounder.

the point I was making was that the Steelers could get shut out of the OT market in rd 1. After the top guys are off the board, you are now drafting a depth guy so you can make the case to skip OT until rd 4.

the point I was making was that the Steelers could get shut out of the OT market in rd 1. After the top guys are off the board, you are now drafting a depth guy so you can make the case to skip OT until rd 4.
I agree Tape. Here is the thing LT is a high priced commodity. So if you want one of the ones that projects to high quality LT you are gonna pay up. So it give up the round 2.17 and a little or the 32 pick probably straight up. But to me good enough is good enough there. The inside run is gonna be way better. That I can guarantee. They got two quality guards now. So then there is a narrative about the tackles getting Kp killed. Kenny got hurt on the same violent tackle twice last year. That had nothing to do with blocking. You'd have to really look at it to decide if Moore is a danger to KP. I favor putting three starters or situational players over one really good one and a second. But I do think the Steelers see it differently.

I agree Tape. Here is the thing LT is a high priced commodity. So if you want one of the ones that projects to high quality LT you are gonna pay up. So it give up the round 2.17 and a little or the 32 pick probably straight up. But to me good enough is good enough there. The inside run is gonna be way better. That I can guarantee. They got two quality guards now. So then there is a narrative about the tackles getting Kp killed. Kenny got hurt on the same violent tackle twice last year. That had nothing to do with blocking. You'd have to really look at it to decide if Moore is a danger to KP. I favor putting three starters or situational players over one really good one and a second. But I do think the Steelers see it differently.
Not sure what you are talking about. Against the Ravens, two guys went pretty much unblocked. Kenny evaded the first one straight up the middle, then as he scrambled outside, he got thrown on his head by the second.

Ok Top 4 no trades it is. Time to put them up.

1. Deonte Banks CB Maryland. I would prefer a Tackle. Especially Broderick Jones. The top ones are gone. Brian Branch would certainly not be a disappointment here.

2. Anton Harrison. OT Oklahoma. Let’s hope he can be the guy.

3. Joe Tippmann. OC. Wisconsin If John Micheal Schmitz is gone. We need a QB for our line. I would grab one or the other here. This is a hard pick if Jack Campbell or Mavi is here still. Steeler tradition.....a great center for our line.

4. Byron Young Edge. Tennessee. We will be exposed with any injury at Edge....he’s dynamic. Even if the plan on resigning Alex,Edge is needed. Especially with the costs of Edge in FA.

5. Jayden Reed WR. Michigan State. Would be nice if he lasted this long. Good at creating separation....route running.
I think Mingo will be gone by here.

Bryce Ford Wheaton blew up the combine. 6-4 221 pounds,runs like a cheetah. Shall be interesting to see where he will go. Do you take a chance on what many had as a 7th rounder till combine came.

And there we have it. Like most I’m sure,So many other players I like. Let’s Hope the Steelers and their loyal fans have a great Draft. And don’t throw the remote at the TV!

Sounds as though Chase Young could be on the trade block this evening. Could 32 or 49 be offered to the Commanders for his services? Would it be worth it?

Ok Top 4 no trades it is. Time to put them up.

1. Deonte Banks CB Maryland. I would prefer a Tackle. Especially Broderick Jones. The top ones are gone. Brian Branch would certainly not be a disappointment here.

2. Anton Harrison. OT Oklahoma. Let’s hope he can be the guy.

3. Joe Tippmann. OC. Wisconsin If John Micheal Schmitz is gone. We need a QB for our line. I would grab one or the other here. This is a hard pick if Jack Campbell or Mavi is here still. Steeler tradition.....a great center for our line.

4. Byron Young Edge. Tennessee. We will be exposed with any injury at Edge....he’s dynamic. Even if the plan on resigning Alex,Edge is needed. Especially with the costs of Edge in FA.

5. Jayden Reed WR. Michigan State. Would be nice if he lasted this long. Good at creating separation....route running.
I think Mingo will be gone by here.

Bryce Ford Wheaton blew up the combine. 6-4 221 pounds,runs like a cheetah. Shall be interesting to see where he will go. Do you take a chance on what many had as a 7th rounder till combine came.

And there we have it. Like most I’m sure,So many other players I like. Let’s Hope the Steelers and their loyal fans have a great Draft. And don’t throw the remote at the TV!
If they want a LT, even Harrison, I suspect they will need to use 17 on him if they don't trade up for Paris or Broderick. Wright will likely be gone as well and we'll be left with 3 QB's, 2 WR's, and a running back that we don't want.