• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Fletcher Cox to Pittsburgh? Eagles Released Him Today

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers were interest in Fletcher Cox at the trade deadline last year, and as recently as last weekend according to ESPN insider Jordan Shultz.

#Eagles receiving lots of interest for 6x Pro Bowl DT Fletcher Cox. League sources say #Bills, #Steelers and #Chargers all interested (#Cardinals aren’t due to lack of money).

Trading Cox would mean a $40M dead cap charge for Philly, so the return would have to be substantial.

— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) March 12, 2022

Now the veteran is available, and the Steelers wouldn’t have to give up any compensation to acquire him. Cox wound up starting 16 games last season and finished the year with 35 tackles, 3.5 sacks, two forced fumbles, and a fumble recovery. He added three tackles in the Eagles’ playoff loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Recently the Steelers brass said that Stephon Tuitt had shown interest in returning to football, but there’s been no indication of when they will happen. It still might not happen. but even if Tuitt returns, the addition of Cox would allow the Steelers to give Cam Heyward more breaks. That was supposed to be a goal of the team last season, but with the rash of injuries it never happened.

It’s said that Cox could still return to the Eagles, but it’s unclear on how willing Cox will be after the team tried to trade him, and then ultimately released him. It was reported that Cox wasn’t thrilled about his role on the Eagles defense last season. The Eagles will be on the hook for a dead cap hit of 12 million for Cox already even with the post June 1st designation.

If the Eagles would’ve kept Cox on the roster past 4pm today, he would’ve earned an 18 million dollar roster bonus.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

No. Older, probably too expensive. If the Steelers continue to follow what they are doing right now, it is to sign younger guys around their second contracts. It's why I don't think they'll sign the safety from KC, Matheiu or however you spell his name.

break out the template....

not used right

if he will sign for the right price

he would look good in Black and Gold

Too old. And by that, I mean that their FA signings this year are all younger players. The oldest one is what ... 27, 28? They've focused on YOUTH and experience with the guys they've picked up. And the two - three year contracts mean those guys have the incentive to play well so that they can hit a big payday before they turn 30.

If you are cutting Tuitt and saving real money and the price is right sure. You don't want too many FAs here. That rarely works well.

Too old. And by that, I mean that their FA signings this year are all younger players. The oldest one is what ... 27, 28? They've focused on YOUTH and experience with the guys they've picked up. And the two - three year contracts mean those guys have the incentive to play well so that they can hit a big payday before they turn 30.
Yeah they aren’t gunning for the older bigger names really, though some older experience isnt bad to have… that offense was absurdly young outside of ben last year and the defense lost a ton of locker room leadership when haden left.. Heyward cant do it all

Yeah they aren’t gunning for the older bigger names really, though some older experience isnt bad to have… that offense was absurdly young outside of ben last year and the defense lost a ton of locker room leadership when haden left.. Heyward cant do it all
No, he can't. But, on the defensive side, you also have Watt; and it's time for Minkah to step up as the leader of the secondary. Could use some vet leadership on the offensive side. But, again, you have Daniels (who's young and experienced) and Cole. Trubisky should bring some leadership qualities with him if he can command some respect with his play.

I’d bring in Cox and talk with him. If we could sign him to a reasonable contract then we should and then move on from Tuitt whose availability has not been very good for the contract we gave him. We need guys that are in the right frame of mind and I just don’t think Tuitt is. I wouldn’t trust him or rely on him for 2022.

Cox may be slowing down but the Eagles signed him to be a big athletic disrupter inside. They aren’t getting the bang for the buck anymore. In the Steelers system he can play more with strength.

If Tuitt is done then Cox makes sense.

Calais Campbell could make sense too. He’s old and not an every down guy but he’s still big and strong and would add depth.

Cox may be slowing down but the Eagles signed him to be a big athletic disrupter inside. They aren’t getting the bang for the buck anymore. In the Steelers system he can play more with strength.

If Tuitt is done then Cox makes sense.

Calais Campbell could make sense too. He’s old and not an every down guy but he’s still big and strong and would add depth.
agreed.

saw Cox: 31 years - thought i saw 51.
Man has been around awhile.

His skills have definitely been on the decline for some time now, but he could still be valuable as a rotational guy on the defensive line at the right price. Trading for Cox would have been foolish; scooping him up on the cheap makes sense.

Recently the Steelers brass said that Stephon Tuitt had shown interest in returning to football
This right here is my problem with Tuitt, and it shows you these guys get paid way too much.

I've personally shown some interest in going to work myself.

Tuitt should be busting his *** right now proving he is back or wants to be back. If he is not training every day at the Steelers facility, he should be required to send them videos of him training. Otherwise, cut him. He was out of shape last year and ended up getting hurt but could have played pretty much the entire season. He chose to take the year off. Sure, everyone grieves differently but I've never heard of this anywhere, ever.