• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Free agency news thread

Maybe not now that they lost their best CB, who was still a CB2. They must now sign a decent CB in FA that will be a starter.
If they don't they are forcing themselves to pick a CB round 1 and that usually doesn't end well. That wouldn't be a BPA approach.

Maybe not now that they lost their best CB, who was still a CB2. They must now sign a decent CB in FA that will be a starter.
That's what I'm thinking, they are kind of forced to pay maybe more than the 11 mill yr. Sutton received.

Sort of irritates me Steelers let him test the market. Best free agent right out the door. And doing what to improve the team? They are always acting like they are the smartest in the room. No aggressive moves to get better just the same ol outdated approach.
Unless they tag him, they can’t stop him. The Steelers may have made an offer and he still decided to see what else he could get from other teams.

If they don't they are forcing themselves to pick a CB round 1 and that usually doesn't end well. That wouldn't be a BPA approach.
Even then, they still need another starter. Same as last year, they have CB2's and CB3's. Even if they draft the best CB available in Rd. 1, they still need one in free agency. They pretty much have to sign a starter now. Maybe they go upwards of $12 to $14 million and get an improvement over Sutton.

Unless they tag him, they can’t stop him. The Steelers may have made an offer and he still decided to see what else he could get from other teams.
They did nothing to try to retain him. This stinks of them being in love with a corner in the draft. They didn't cut some cutable players, do any easy restructures. No they sat back and acted like a versatile corner is an easy replace. Their same ol ho hum approach out of the gates. Come end of the year expect the same ****** results we have grown to be accustomed to. Seriously I don't know WTF they are thinking...

Even then, they still need another starter. Same as last year, they have CB2's and CB3's. Even if they draft the best CB available in Rd. 1, they still need one in free agency. They pretty much have to sign a starter now. Maybe they go upwards of $12 to $14 million and get an improvement over Sutton.
Or they bottom feed and get a substandard replacement then force feed the draft praying for a miracle. The more likely scenerio.

It isn't an earth shattering contract. They didn't clear space to even be competitive. There is no unknown here. Just more substandard standard ****.
This is what had me concerned all weekend, other than the Jackson release, where were the restructures or extensions (Trubisky if he is staying) to open more cap space? And I knew the longer we went without hearing was resigned he'd be gone. Idk wtf they're doing.....guess just force another Artie Burns pick or waste the little draft capital you have to trade up for one of the top 3 CBs just to make sure you don't miss out on them. What a mess.

Last edited:
Jamel Dean is probably the most expensive CB this year in free agency, he's only 26. No I'm not drinking right now but the thought crossed my mind after Sutton left.

KC signs OT Jawaan Taylor to 4 year 80 mill, 60 mill guaranteed.

Jamel Dean is probably the most expensive CB this year in free agency, he's only 26. No I'm not drinking right now but the thought crossed my mind after Sutton left.
Dean or Murphy are the only equal to upgrade options, and will probably cost more. This all smells of "This draft has great talent and depth at CB, and we feel we can get excellent talent at multiple points of this draft"

How many of these talented CBs in this year's draft will be pro-ready? Close to none.

Or they bottom feed and get a substandard replacement then force feed the draft praying for a miracle. The more likely scenerio.
This is probably what they will do. Bring in another CB2 around $8 million per and reach for a CB in Rd. 1. They will go into next year with no legit CB1 again since Hayden was here. The absolutely worst-case scenario is if they trade up for a CB. They need their 1st 4 picks this year and they need to make good selections with all 4.

Sort of irritates me Steelers let him test the market. Best free agent right out the door. And doing what to improve the team? They are always acting like they are the smartest in the room. No aggressive moves to get better just the same ol outdated approach.
yep Slash. Right out the door in less than 2 hours of Free Agency. Draft a corner. Does well. Good teammate by all accounts. Do they make it a priority to sign him? Where is that second contract? Instead he’s out the door instantly l,just like Mike Hilton. It’s always the same arrogant approach. We will see the exact same thing with Alex Highsmith.

In a way earlier thread,everyone was just assuming that Sutton would sign here. I asked then.....what if he and Edmonds leave? I’m sure they have a master plan.

Last edited:
Good luck in Detroit, Sutton

The Steelers have a master plan! Tick tock,tick tock,tick tock!
I don’t even know why I waste my time on this organization. This owner doesn’t really seem like he’s all in on winning like his father.

KC signs OT Jawaan Taylor to 4 year 80 mill, 60 mill guaranteed.
Remember a couple years ago in the playoffs the O line was KC’s downfall. And look what they’ve done since. They are all in on recognizing and protecting their #1 asset. In 2-3 short years. With a huge QB contract.
Focus and Commitment. Something we could use more of.

I don’t even know why I waste my time on this organization. This owner doesn’t really seem like he’s all in on winning like his father.
He's not. They are ok with mediocre. Something else to ponder if you are reaching on a CB in the draft you aren't fortifying the trenches. Once again we get to lower our expectations.

Wonderful.

Just got back from a jaunt to store and local radio claiming Rodgers to Jets deal is done. I haven't seen anything

Just got back from a jaunt to store and local radio claiming Rodgers to Jets deal is done. I haven't seen anything
They're just waiting to see if Rodgers is on board with it, or if he's gonna retire

They did nothing to try to retain him. This stinks of them being in love with a corner in the draft. They didn't cut some cutable players, do any easy restructures. No they sat back and acted like a versatile corner is an easy replace. Their same ol ho hum approach out of the gates. Come end of the year expect the same ****** results we have grown to be accustomed to. Seriously I don't know WTF they are thinking...
Why do you think they did nothing to try to retain him? It was reported they were in talks with him. For all you know they offered him 95% of what the Lions offered and he decided to test the market.

His father? You mean the one that let players like Leon Searcy, Eric Green, Rod Woodson, Niel O’Donnel, Chad Brown and Carnell Lake walk?

Why do you think they did nothing to try to retain him? It was reported they were in talks with him. For all you know they offered him 95% of what the Lions offered and he decided to test the market.
Because I see what they have done leading up to the fail. Again that contract wasn't earth shattering. He was arguably more valuable being versatile for the Steelers but they treated him like he was easily replaceable.

Offering him less isn't being aggressive. It is being cocky thinking those old ways are good enough. They aren't. I have seen enough to know they aren't...

it probably had to do with guaranteed money he got from DET.