• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's..............@ Bungles.....

I agree. If we didn't get +5 turnovers we'd lose the game. Tomlin risking Harris in a the last pre-season game when the injury take 4-6 week to recover was a dumb move ( he hurt his foot again )

He didn't hurt his foot. His ankle was rolled.

and he also should have taken control and run out the clock yesterday...but he didn't opting to pass and keeping a lot of seconds on the clock.

# **** for brains!

Don't know why we seem to forget that the play prior to the pass, Harris rolled his ankle. By rule, since the clock stopped for the injury, the Steelers were forced to take a timeout to avoid a penalty. That stopped the clock, meaning they could NOT run out the clock any more. Too much time left.

Criticize the 3-yard hitch (again), fine. But suggesting the Steelers could have run out the clock at that point is simply inaccurate.

Relax .........next man up .......... the standard is the standard ....... and all that jazz

A good BJ can make you forget an injured TJ .........Whattttttttttttttt ? well maybe not
He just needs those special massages. I know a guy in Cleveland.

Don't know why we seem to forget that the play prior to the pass, Harris rolled his ankle. By rule, since the clock stopped for the injury, the Steelers were forced to take a timeout to avoid a penalty. That stopped the clock, meaning they could NOT run out the clock any more. Too much time left.

Criticize the 3-yard hitch (again), fine. But suggesting the Steelers could have run out the clock at that point is simply inaccurate.
While all of that is true, you still have to run the ball in that situation, and make Cincinnati have to use all of their timeouts. The incompletion allowed the Bengals to retain one, and they absolutely needed it with the first down pass to the 17 with 27 seconds left. Without that timeout, they'd have lost close to ten seconds and most likely a down with a spike. They ended up scoring on 4th down with 2 seconds left. We can all do that math.

So it was absolutely the wrong call by Tomlin to risk an incompletion there. Especially on a pass play that was going nowhere anyway.

While all of that is true, you still have to run the ball in that situation, and make Cincinnati have to use all of their timeouts. The incompletion allowed the Bengals to retain one, and they absolutely needed it with the first down pass to the 17 with 27 seconds left. Without that timeout, they'd have lost close to ten seconds and most likely a down with a spike. They ended up scoring on 4th down with 2 seconds left. We can all do that math.

So it was absolutely the wrong call by Tomlin to risk an incompletion there. Especially on a pass play that was going nowhere anyway.

So nothing changes in the Bungles playcalling if they have no timeouts? They run exactly the same plays in the same sequence and to the same part of the field?

Let me repeat: Because of Harris' injury, there was literally no way to run out the clock. There wasn't. The Bungles were getting the ball back. Running the ball means the Bungles get the ball with 53 seconds on the clock instead of 1:28.

Look, if Bungles get the ball back with 53 seconds and running the ball on 3rd down means they get the ball with 15 seconds, I'm with you. But 53 seconds in today's NFL is a lot of time. Counting spiking the ball, that equals 8 or 9 plays.

And I can guaran-*******-tee that if Tomlin runs the ball and the Bungles drive for the TD, fans would be chastising Tomlin for "turtle ball" and "living in his fears."

So nothing changes in the Bungles playcalling if they have no timeouts? They run exactly the same plays in the same sequence and to the same part of the field?
I don't know what they do differently. But I know they would have had less time had they chosen to go over the middle. 3 of their 4 completions for a total of 34 yards were in the middle of the field and ended in bounds...would they have had that luxury without that timeout in their pocket?
Let me repeat: Because of Harris' injury, there was literally no way to run out the clock. There wasn't. The Bungles were getting the ball back. Running the ball means the Bungles get the ball with 53 seconds on the clock instead of 1:28.
You don't have to repeat that they couldn't run out the clock. I already said it was true.

No, actually running the ball there meant that the Bengals would have gotten the ball left with about 1:25 on the clock, just with zero timeouts instead of one.
Look, if Bungles get the ball back with 53 seconds and running the ball on 3rd down means they get the ball with 15 seconds, I'm with you. But 53 seconds in today's NFL is a lot of time. Counting spiking the ball, that equals 8 or 9 plays.

And I can guaran-*******-tee that if Tomlin runs the ball and the Bungles drive for the TD, fans would be chastising Tomlin for "turtle ball" and "living in his fears."
Throwing a 5 yard curl on 2nd-and-12 while risking a clock stoppage is not fearless. It's just stupid. If Tomlin indeed makes the decision to throw the ball, then he also needs to make sure that Canada knows to call a play that makes it to the sticks.

Don't worry, they'll turn on Pickett too, eventually.
Having Mitch start a few and suck will help give him some buffer. He is expected to struggle some as a rookie. Mitch is the sacrificial lamb designed to take the heat as the guy who replaced Ben then Kenny is the savior.

I don't know what they do differently. But I know they would have had less time had they chosen to go over the middle. 3 of their 4 completions for a total of 34 yards were in the middle of the field and ended in bounds...would they have had that luxury without that timeout in their pocket?

Again, they use their play selection differently. Steelers tried to win the game with a 1st down.

No, actually running the ball there meant that the Bengals would have gotten the ball left with about 1:25 on the clock, just with zero timeouts instead of one.

Good point. With 1:25 on the clock, including spiking, they can run 10 to 12 plays.

Throwing a 5 yard curl on 2nd-and-12 while risking a clock stoppage is not fearless. It's just stupid. If Tomlin indeed makes the decision to throw the ball, then he also needs to make sure that Canada knows to call a play that makes it to the sticks.

Did you miss what I wrote? I said, "criticize the 3-yard hitch (again), fine."

That means I think criticism of the play call is fine.

Again, they use their play selection differently. Steelers tried to win the game with a 1st down.
Again, the Bengals don't have as many opportunities to go over the middle without a timeout. And the Steelers weren't going to win the game with a 5-yard completion on 2nd-and-12.
Good point. With 1:25 on the clock, including spiking, they can run 10 to 12 plays.
And they were able to run several more with an extra timeout.
Did you miss what I wrote? I said, "criticize the 3-yard hitch (again), fine."

That means I think criticism of the play call is fine.
No, I read it. But, by the same token, you then can't also say that they "tried to win the game" with that play. It's totally incongruous.

If no one had given an F-U to the punk ***** Joe Mixon, I'd like to submit one to him.

No, I read it. But, by the same token, you then can't also say that they "tried to win the game" with that play. It's totally incongruous.

No, it's not. You were criticizing the fact the Steelers threw a pass first, and criticizing the play call second. I criticize the play call because that very play - the short hitch - was not successful. No idea why Canada thought that would change.

Getting a 1st down is the only way to guarantee a win. The ONLY way. Najee loses 2 yards and gets hurt because of (shock) horrible run blocking. That stops the clock. Running up the gut twice more GUARANTEES the Bungles get the ball with about 1:25 on the clock. Harping on the one timeout because the Bungles scored on the last play is 100% hindsight being 20/20. The entire drive is different if they have no timeouts but 1:25 is way too much time to feel like they are going to wind up in a Hail Mary situation.

Finally, the offensive line cannot run block for ****. Simply slamming the RB into the line three times is a guaranteed way to insure Bungles get the ball back. I still have no idea why the Steelers did not use Mitch's running abilities more and have him run a QB draw. The way the DL was charging up the field and the man coverage outside would have given him a chance to get a lot of yards.

Anyone see the tic tok of Tomlin doing the AB dance in the locker room after the game with the guys… yeah they seem happy…
Sadly yes I saw them dancing. Should not have been a celebration. When you go down to the wire to win a game where you had 6 sacks and 5 turnovers and you barely win, there is a problem.

I think people are forgetting that we just beat the superbowl runner up. By all accounts we should have been run over, but somehow squeaked out a win. The Bengals D was good last year and they have one of the most loaded offenses. For us to go into their place w/o Ben and a crap oline and win is impressive. It was ugly, but we shouldnt read too much into it. What do you think Bengals fans are thinking right now?
Bengal fans think???!!!

No, it's not. You were criticizing the fact the Steelers threw a pass first, and criticizing the play call second. I criticize the play call because that very play - the short hitch - was not successful. No idea why Canada thought that would change.
You said the Steelers were trying to win the game. Throwing a five yard curl was not going to win the game. At best, it's 3rd-and-7. At worst, that batted ball ends up in the hands of a Bengal on the 10-yard line. Thus, yes, those two statements remain incongruous. My criticism of Tomlin has nothing to do with that.
Getting a 1st down is the only way to guarantee a win. The ONLY way. Najee loses 2 yards and gets hurt because of (shock) horrible run blocking. That stops the clock. Running up the gut twice more GUARANTEES the Bungles get the ball with about 1:25 on the clock. Harping on the one timeout because the Bungles scored on the last play is 100% hindsight being 20/20. The entire drive is different if they have no timeouts but 1:25 is way too much time to feel like they are going to wind up in a Hail Mary situation.
Throwing for 5 yards when you need 12 also GUARANTEES absolutely nothing, and also risks a clock stoppage, which is exactly what happened.

Yes, I believe that I already said that the dynamics of the drive would have been different, but you cannot deny that they would have also been looking towards the sideline more, instead of throwing easy completions over the middle.
Finally, the offensive line cannot run block for ****. Simply slamming the RB into the line three times is a guaranteed way to insure Bungles get the ball back. I still have no idea why the Steelers did not use Mitch's running abilities more and have him run a QB draw. The way the DL was charging up the field and the man coverage outside would have given him a chance to get a lot of yards.
Can't argue with that.

Having Mitch start a few and suck will help give him some buffer. He is expected to struggle some as a rookie. Mitch is the sacrificial lamb designed to take the heat as the guy who replaced Ben then Kenny is the savior.
Without an O-line, running game or a decent OC, Kenny won't be the savior of ****. He'll suffer just like Ben last year and Mitch yesterday.

Passing after Najeh got hurt and caused an injury time out was the right thing to do… you have to go for the first down in two plays at that point… as you saw at the end of the game, leaving time on the clock was a terrible idea for any team in the nfl…

Now had we run then passed while the clock was running, thats not great… but there we would have been conceding them getting the ball back with way too much time

Without an O-line, running game or a decent OC, Kenny won't be the savior of ****. He'll suffer just like Ben last year and Mitch yesterday.
IF they call the pays like yesterday you are correct. If they call the plays for him like they did in the preseason he would be fine. Not sure why they didn't use those plays more with mitch and make it simple for him and the line. Move your pocket and roll out more as well. Mitch is mobile don't try and make him stand in the pocket and improvise call the game so you give him real targets on the move.

With the way the defense was playing, you absolutely do not throw the ball in that situation. Force the Bengals to use the rest of their time outs.

With the way the defense was playing, you absolutely do not throw the ball in that situation. Force the Bengals to use the rest of their time outs.
No. Thats how you lose. This nfl is weighted too far towards offense… you could have the best D in the past two decades and you are a fool to give any team more than a minute to win it… if you are talking running it thrice and giving them a long field and thirty seconds it’s different, but even then, look at that bills Kc game … that is how quick teams score when they are pressing and not playing safely…

Defense is just not something you can take for granted these days… win it with the ball in your hands if you can…

No. Thats how you lose. This nfl is weighted too far towards offense… you could have the best D in the past two decades and you are a fool to give any team more than a minute to win it… if you are talking running it thrice and giving them a long field and thirty seconds it’s different, but even then, look at that bills Kc game … that is how quick teams score when they are pressing and not playing safely…

Defense is just not something you can take for granted these days… win it with the ball in your hands if you can…
I will ride with the best guys on my team. If that's Ben under center, I'm throwing it, not with Mitch. Give me Heyward, Watt, Fitzpatrick and gang to make a stop with Cincy having no time outs.

What good is a 5 yd hitch play when you need 12 yards? The end result was an incompletion. If you were going to throw it then at minimum at least throw it to the sticks....minimum. otherwise you run the ball and make them use a TO. Them having an extra TO simply changed the play calling. Saying otherwise is simply false. It benefited the Bengals having that TO.

What good is a 5 yd hitch play when you need 12 yards? The end result was an incompletion. If you were going to throw it then at minimum at least throw it to the sticks....minimum. otherwise you run the ball and make them use a TO. Them having an extra TO simply changed the play calling. Saying otherwise is simply false. It benefited the Bengals having that TO.
Because it was going to be two pass plays or a draw. The 5 yard pass is a high percentage pass and if it goes perfectly you get 3rd and 6 or 7, which is very manageable even with a run

What good is a 5 yd hitch play when you need 12 yards? The end result was an incompletion. If you were going to throw it then at minimum at least throw it to the sticks....

Jesus Christ, it's like talking to a sprinkler.

I SAID that the play call was bad. The debate was not me saying, "Hey, that ******* 3-yard hitch is brilliant." I SAID that I also criticized the play call itself, but not the decision in general to throw a pass to get a 1st down and WIN THE GAME.

Gee, I wish I had been more clear, something like:

Wait ...