• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's................vs Bills

Steelman, Leftwich wasn't bad.

I don’t want to excuse Hodges completely, but I’m not sure Ben or any QB without a great ability to scramble would have had a much better game.

An OL that can't hold back the pass rush combined with bad play calling and missing our #1 WR and TE would be trouble for ANY NFL QB. Duck made too many mistakes, but I think he a playing well overall for a rookie.

Don't discount McDonald as a blocker. He's an asset in that department.

I'm tempted to add our trainers as goats. What's up with Ju-ju's recovery?

Reactions: JMM
The game plan was terrible. No dump offs at all to the RB's in the 1st half. No quick passing. No Duck roll outs. No answer the entire game for 3rd and long (just about every series we ended with a 3rd and long) where the Bills would rush 5 to 7 guys, yes up to 7 guys. If someone can't run a quick crossing pattern or get open quickly, then they shouldn't be playing. Or, if someone is one on one, just lob the ball out there and let the WR run and get it.

Speaking of shouldn't be playing....Holton saw the field way too much again. Play Diontae, Washington and either Jones or Cain but not Holton. And, Chicklets was seeing the field far too often on D. Why the **** would you not have your best players on the field for a 4th and 5ish? Chicklets was in there. Dumb! Dumb! Dumb! If Dupree leaves in the offseason, they better bring someone in to replace him because Chicklets has improved to nothing more than an average backup. He is not a starter.

Even with all of that, Duck was still bad. His accuracy was terrible. He was missing open guys. And, he made some terrible throws. Now, the question is...what does Tomlin do. My guess is Duck gets the next start but like Rudolph, if he sucks things up again, Rudolph might be back in sooner than anyone anticipated.

Another thing I noticed. Ben got fired up at one of the coaches//assistants on the sidelines after one of our bad offensive plays. Not sure if he was mad at the play call or what but you could tell he wasn't happy and was letting someone know about it.
It was after a wldcat in the red zone

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Steeler Nation mobile app

I think the problem is playcalling more than anything. You can pretty much tell what the Steelers are going to do based on formation and personnel. Then add to it that Fichtner has no imagination or rhythm to his play calls, and this is what you get. Getting yourself into 3rd and long then going empty set is sure fire way to tip your hand to the defense. And the Steelers do it over and over and over. It is frustrating to say the least.

They have zero creativity from an offensive perspective. They run wildcat, and that’s their answer to being creative.....it worked one game. They are so predictable, it’s disgusting. Ball at the 10 yard line going in, and they run jumbo set with Benny Snell. After Conner made some wonderful moves to get into the position. Speaking of Conner, eight carries?? Eight mother f@$&#%% carries?! Yet, he averaged over 5ypc. This was the kind of game where Conner, or Samuels should’ve had 8-10 catches a piece. Instead, Fitchner comes out, and puts the game on the shoulders of a rookie, third string qb, and chuck it 38 ******* times to a merry band of misfits outside of Washington and Johnson. The bills are absolutely a beatable team, and sans the big play to Brown, and a few runs that saw our defense look foolish with missed tackles, it was self-inflicted, once again. The playcalling did nothing to help get the offense ahead of the chains on first or second down, and they look like they’re just winging it on the fly, hoping to have some success.

FU to Fictner.
People bitching about Duck, he made some good throws but the simple fact is the Bills have a better defense than we've seen in a while. Remember the first game when we had all our starters and didn't even score a TD against the Pats, they held us to 3 points.
I'm not bitching about Hodges. He has played pretty well. But we have to be real here. It's pretty much the same as Rudolph. They won a few games in spite of him. When they needed him to win a game he couldn't. You can see a difference between a QB that can win a game and one that can win it for you.

When this season ends in two weeks, three or hopefully more. There will be a whole lot of pat on the backs with the coaching staff. But if it ends in two or by circumstances in three, everyone should look at how they really got there. A lot of mostly ****** teams beat. A very good defense no doubt. But Fichtner is terrible. Tge oline has taken a big step back. Everyone will keep their jobs. I just dont know about that.

Look. Hodges is a nice guy, and it's a neat story, but he isn't an NFL quarterback.

The fact that he is apparently the BEST option at QB speaks to the monumental failure of the coaching staff to teach the position.

Hire a real ******* QB coach to help your clown-car QBs.
Or bring in a vet so if Ben goes down the season isn't lost.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

I'm not bitching about Hodges. He has played pretty well. But we have to be real here. It's pretty much the same as Rudolph. They won a few games in spite of him. When they needed him to win a game he couldn't. You can see a difference between a QB that can win a game and one that can win it for you.

Not for me. Rudolph is a sitting duck in the pocket and isn't as accurate. He does nothing well. Hodges is accurate (
[FONT=&quot]67.8 % [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]completely[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] for the season )[/FONT]​
, and has some mobility. He's the better of the two. 3-1 as a starter. Very good for any rookie QB.​

How about a FU to the Oline who can't seem to open holes for a run game consistently, and can't keep the pass rush off our rookie QB's.

Hell, Pouncy even forgot how to hike the damn ball...

I was wondering how far I'd go down the post before the OLine was mentioned. They are highly suspect. No time for the kid to throw and very little push or gaps opened when running the ball. He's a great guy and someone we all can look up to (literally) but Alehagggndro Villlanueava (with the fine Corinthian Leather) might need to go find start looking for his life's work sooner than later. The guy looks out of position, slow and totally lost at times. Maybe he is just really missing Munch's guidance.

The loss was on Duck,the O-line, the ****** punt and ****** play calling. They all contributed. When it mattered the most the team **** the bed.

FU needs to go to Randy F. That game plan was awful. Or maybe it wasn't a plan and he was wingin' it. Either way, it was awful...just plain awful. I coulda drawn that **** up with sidewalk chalk on my driveway and had a better plan that that.

Ayep

Run run pass for a half didnt work.

One throw to a TE, no quick slants or RB screens, but oh we'll just throw a wildcat in when we run out of ideas, that was the drive killer we didt need

I still blame the punter, ****** us right from the start

The one play that stands out to me was the 3rd and 18. They let Allen scramble for like 12 yards and give them the chance to get the first on 4th down. I think they would have punted on 4th and long

Hodges has three fumbles in his short professional playing career. I think Hodges is fumble prone.

Not for me. Rudolph is a sitting duck in the pocket and isn't as accurate. He does nothing well. Hodges is accurate (
[FONT=&quot]67.8 % [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]completely[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] for the season )[/FONT]​
, and has some mobility. He's the better of the two. 3-1 as a starter. Very good for any rookie QB.​
I guess you can kinda see what you want. Rudolph throws 61%. But Duck was a very small sample. And I think we all saw his pass distribution last night. Rudolph more looks the part. Hodges has more Moxie. Neither guy is probably a starting NFL QB.

The one play that stands out to me was the 3rd and 18. They let Allen scramble for like 12 yards and give them the chance to get the first on 4th down. I think they would have punted on 4th and long

I agree. This was after Barry’s 22 yard punt. People are bitching about the punt, but we pushed them out of scoring range with a sack on the next play, then couldn’t close the deal on defense. The defense has to shoulder some blame here. They don’t get a pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

I never said he was the reason the Steelers lost. He was a contributor..
Sure but so was about 10 different other things more notable. D kept the Steelers in the game all the way until the end. 5 plus turnovers won't win you games against good teams.

Last edited:
Ball security was a huge problem last night, from both Hodges and Johnson.

And while we’re talking about Johnson, what was up with his half-*** effort on the Tre’Davious Whiten49 yard interception. He sure didn’t seem to be going all out chasing White down. If Fieler hadn’t hustled his *** off, that was six points.

Look. Hodges is a nice guy, and it's a neat story, but he isn't an NFL quarterback.

The fact that he is apparently the BEST option at QB speaks to the monumental failure of the coaching staff to teach the position.

Hire a real ******* QB coach to help your clown-car QBs.

I knew this day was coming. Folks have been singing Hodges’ praises since training camp. Then they started this “Duck Mania” crap. There was no way this kid was ever going to live up to the hype. He was an I drafted rookie for a reason. There’s a reason that when he was cut, not a single team claimed him.

As you said, nice kid, but he was never the answer. Now some of the same people are calling him “trash.” He’s not trash. He’s just who we knew he was all along.