• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's...................week 14..................vs Ratbirds!

Why we didn't sell out to STOP the run is mind-boggling to me. As you stated. A first down might as well be a TD. We needed a stop there. I wonder who called the defensive there. And obviously, Tomlin was on board with it. Crazy.
I looked it like this. A 6 to 8 yard run on first was actually worse than a 15. You had the two min warning and two timeouts. You sell out on first. If they block it great and he gets 15 so be it. Like I said they ran it like 1st quarter. And the line was getting to Bush every time. There was literally no chance you were going to stop them like that.

It's like watching my son's high school defense sometimes. I mean scheme-wise. So frustrating.

I wouldn't say that the OC went away from the run in the second half -- they just had no success with it. Take out the two QB scrambles, and they ran it 18 times for 49 yards, 2.7 YPA. With a long carry of eight yards.

First half: 3, 3, 5, 1, 1, 1, 7, 8, 1, 1, 3, 2
Second half: 0, 4, 1, -1, 1, 8

The run sucked. All day.

After two nice scrambles out of Pickett on passing plays, Canada started up with the run-run-pass-punt sequences twice, on the first two possessions of the game, and it didn't work, of course. Just stupid.

As far as the rest of the game, once again it boils down to turnovers. The Steelers were minus-3, and lost the game by 2 points. That's one area that KP had improved upon greatly in the last few weeks, and that's why the Steelers won some games. I thought Mitch played pretty well, except for the turnovers. But that's a HUGE exception. He's the #1 game goat and the main reason they lost. You can't give the ball away 3 times like that and expect to win, even against backup quarterbacks. The Steelers just aren't good enough to overcome it.
This team isn't good enough to overcome a cough. So yeah turnovers will kill their chances at a W every time.

Mitch had a good game overall and was the reason why this offense moved the ball at all today. He pushed the ball downfield which is tough to do with this very limited scheme. First INT was not his fault. Second was his fault but was a great play by the LB.

Third INT was his fault too but it seemed to be a pre-determined deep shot. Problem is the play was stupid. It was a play action that the ravens had no reason to respect, so they didn't. The safety was able to stay deep and help.

I see people giving the defense a pass. Why? Oh because the ravens only scored 16 and it was the steeler offense that should have scored more. Well, the ravens D was in that same boat. The difference is they blocked a FG and had 3 INTs. In other words, they actually made plays. No, the steeler defense was not good today. Just because the raven offense struggled without their QB does not equate to a good performance.

Devin Bush is a bum. How insane is it that they choose to play Spillane in pass situations? Bush is small. We knew that when we drafted him. Nobody expected him to be Levon Kirkland out there, but he dame sure could have been James Farrior, a smart, athletic player who made tons of plays. But no, Bush is not a football player, he's just a guy who runs fast. Makes you wish he was as good as Larry Foote. At least he was in the right place.

Myles Jack is just a guy. He's Larry Foote. Not bad so long as we get a good LB to play with him in tandem.

Dionte Johnson is NOT a deep threat. Stop trying to make that a thing. Yeah, he's fast enough and he can get open but he doesn't track the ball well and doesn't know how to box out to win contested balls.

George Pickens is a deep threat. You can see that it's natural for him and if you get the ball near him, it's his. Why are they trying to re-invent the wheel with him?

The bright spot of this loss is it pokes a hole in the notion that this OL and the run game and the offense in general is pointing up. It's not. They just had a stretch of bad opponents. The Ravens defense didn't fall for any stupid tricks and is too big to be moved by the steelers mediocre talents.

Once the run game is in check, the pass game has no shot because it only works if the defense is worried about the run.

Here's what i want for the rest of the season. I want the steelers to come away with honest evaluations of their problems. It's crazy that with so much money spent on defense, they have so many needs. They need a top CB. No more spare parts. The OL is NOT fixed. Canada is over his head and needs to go. Be open to the possibility that Warren is better than Najee.

Agreed on all points

I think Bush's best attribute was speed and it was taken away with his significant injury. He just never seemed to regain that speed. But the guys keeping him clean don't overly do a good job of it. Not sure Najee will be the type of back that can blow open games but he is capable of being a regular chain mover. Which we have seen some of. The team just needs to continue to improve the O-Lineman.

Tomlin doesn't call the D but I am sure he has his hand in it.

This team wants to run the ball but far too long ignored building the Oline. They want to stop the run but don't have enough Dline capable.

These two areas have to be fixed by hook or crook.

That aside. I rewatched the final sequence of the game. Cause sometimes in my rage I don't really remember as they are. So on First and Ten in a situation where there is literally not a ****** chance in hell they are throwing and a First Down might as well be TD. Bush and Jack are five yards off the ball acting like it's first and ten in the First quarter. They gave them 6. Second down the Nose makes a good play limits it to one. Third and three. They bring up Spillane on the all important 3rd down which again they are conceding they are not going to throw. But he literally blitzes C. Sort of. Which basically left B wide open about as easy as it gets. Now I guess that could have been Spillane but. Still. See I don't view Trubisky's errors in real time thevsame as that bullshit where you have time to think. Yeah let's play it base here cause we don't want to give up a TD. Like WTF. I don't know what happens when these clowns run film but I'd truly love to see that.
Exactly this!

And to make matters worse....watch Spillane on the 3rd down play not penetrate to the ball and LITERALLY WAIT for the pulling guard to take him out of the play and clear the hole for the first down!!

Just unbelievable!!
I wish we had the Ravens inside backers.
If we switched inside backers before the game....the Steelers would of won by 3 scores.

Trubisky showed hesitancy? No, he SHOULD have shown some hesitancy. He was slinging it as evidenced by his stats. He should have reigned it in a little.

Big FU to Tomlin. Aside from the obvious and not that it ultimately made a difference, but he needs to understand that TOs can’t put time back on the clock and sometimes you need to use them on defense when it becomes apparent that you’re getting the ball back instead of letting :35 tick off the clock. That’s several plays lost.

Also, Tomlin should have went onside after the Friermuth TD and loaded the box on the final series.

I think Bush's best attribute was speed and it was taken away with his significant injury. He just never seemed to regain that speed. But the guys keeping him clean don't overly do a good job of it. Not sure Najee will be the type of back that can blow open games but he is capable of being a regular chain mover. Which we have seen some of. The team just needs to continue to improve the O-Lineman.

Tomlin doesn't call the D but I am sure he has his hand in it.

This team wants to run the ball but far too long ignored building the Oline. They want to stop the run but don't have enough Dline capable.

These two areas have to be fixed by hook or crook.
Agreed on Bush...
I almost spit out my drink yesterday when the announcer called Devin Bush one of the best in the business...

Agreed on Bush...
I almost spit out my drink yesterday when the announcer called Devin Bush one of the best in the business...
He is

one of the best at not getting off blocks.

Exactly this!

And to make matters worse....watch Spillane on the 3rd down play not penetrate to the ball and LITERALLY WAIT for the pulling guard to take him out of the play and clear the hole for the first down!!

Just unbelievable!!
I wish we had the Ravens inside backers.
If we switched inside backers before the game....the Steelers would of won by 3 scores.
I love how after the game Trubisky explains why he pushed and admits that he pushed too far and its his responsibility, but Tomlin NEVER would say we should have blitzed every gap.

FU to the goats Mitch, Canada and Tomlin. Looks like Mitch decides where he is going to throw in the huddle and then chucks it there without even trying to read.

Our old DC said in an interview after his retirement that Tomlin called the D. Just saying.

I'm giving a retroactive goat grade to Kevin Colbert for building a team so soft in the trenches. Completely botched the right way to rebuild going with the fancy toys rather than the big uglies.

I'm giving a retroactive goat grade to Kevin Colbert for building a team so soft in the trenches. Completely botched the right way to rebuild going with the fancy toys rather than the big uglies.
True he should get his fair share of blame. He was co-parenting.

This team isn't good enough to overcome a cough. So yeah turnovers will kill their chances at a W every time.
The Steelers were good enough to overcome some inaccurate throws from Pickett and still get wins against bad teams. Three interceptions against a good Ravens team, even without Lamar Jackson, are the main reason they lost yesterday. They lost a close game to the Dolphins by six points with KP's three picks. It's a shame, really -- this team could have a winning record right now. I still believe that they're better than most people think.

watching monday night, I Think the cards Oline is even worse than ours

Mitch had a good game overall and was the reason why this offense moved the ball at all today. He pushed the ball downfield which is tough to do with this very limited scheme. First INT was not his fault. Second was his fault but was a great play by the LB.

Third INT was his fault too but it seemed to be a pre-determined deep shot. Problem is the play was stupid. It was a play action that the ravens had no reason to respect, so they didn't. The safety was able to stay deep and help.

I see people giving the defense a pass. Why? Oh because the ravens only scored 16 and it was the steeler offense that should have scored more. Well, the ravens D was in that same boat. The difference is they blocked a FG and had 3 INTs. In other words, they actually made plays. No, the steeler defense was not good today. Just because the raven offense struggled without their QB does not equate to a good performance.

Devin Bush is a bum. How insane is it that they choose to play Spillane in pass situations? Bush is small. We knew that when we drafted him. Nobody expected him to be Levon Kirkland out there, but he dame sure could have been James Farrior, a smart, athletic player who made tons of plays. But no, Bush is not a football player, he's just a guy who runs fast. Makes you wish he was as good as Larry Foote. At least he was in the right place.

Myles Jack is just a guy. He's Larry Foote. Not bad so long as we get a good LB to play with him in tandem.

Dionte Johnson is NOT a deep threat. Stop trying to make that a thing. Yeah, he's fast enough and he can get open but he doesn't track the ball well and doesn't know how to box out to win contested balls.

George Pickens is a deep threat. You can see that it's natural for him and if you get the ball near him, it's his. Why are they trying to re-invent the wheel with him?

The bright spot of this loss is it pokes a hole in the notion that this OL and the run game and the offense in general is pointing up. It's not. They just had a stretch of bad opponents. The Ravens defense didn't fall for any stupid tricks and is too big to be moved by the steelers mediocre talents.

Once the run game is in check, the pass game has no shot because it only works if the defense is worried about the run.

Here's what i want for the rest of the season. I want the steelers to come away with honest evaluations of their problems. It's crazy that with so much money spent on defense, they have so many needs. They need a top CB. No more spare parts. The OL is NOT fixed. Canada is over his head and needs to go. Be open to the possibility that Warren is better than Najee.

All i'd like to see is coaching staff to stop putting Pickett in front of a f*cking firing squad. 2022 is over. deal with it. Run the f*cking ball.

everything else you said is like gospel. Here's to wishing Rooney had the balls to fire Tomlin.

I love how after the game Trubisky explains why he pushed and admits that he pushed too far and its his responsibility, but Tomlin NEVER would say we should have blitzed every gap.

Which is WHY when it's 3rd down and the game - and you have ******* for linebackers - why are you not using 5 or hell, even 6 defensive linemen?!!

keep those f*ckers off the 2nd level! if you don't, you literally lose the whole game right there.

Which is WHY when it's 3rd down and the game - and you have ******* for linebackers - why are you not using 5 or hell, even 6 defensive linemen?!!

keep those f*ckers off the 2nd level! if you don't, you literally lose the whole game right there.

It’s the trend in the nfl… and its only gotten worse since the Bengals made that unholy run to the Super Bowl using a heavy drop 8 defensive set…

The nfl is reactionary… you win by being a trendsetter, not chasing trends… the current trend is to not blitz and ten percent of snaps only have two or three guys not back in coverage … basically our ilbs are safeties the majority of time… and a lot of times one or both olb is in coverage too … its super passive to prevent the short pass from eating into them alive

I mean if those numbers trend any higher then logically the move back to a power run offense might actually make sense again…

Agreed on Bush...

He had to have meant best in the business at fooling the Steelers on draft day.

I still think Jarvis Jones was better at that.

The Steelers were good enough to overcome some inaccurate throws from Pickett and still get wins against bad teams. Three interceptions against a good Ravens team, even without Lamar Jackson, are the main reason they lost yesterday. They lost a close game to the Dolphins by six points with KP's three picks. It's a shame, really -- this team could have a winning record right now. I still believe that they're better than most people think.
I believe they had potential to be better than they showed sure. But that old saying you are what your record says you are is true too. As this team has some unfortunate breaks but still they are a bad team. As the rats showed us what good trench play can do for a team. They address that in the offseason that can give the team enough of a solid base to get back to winning.

Tomlin calls the defense.

Unfortunately, this is a true statement but also the scheme of the “D” isn’t that great either. That scheme is a Tomlin factor as well.

Salute the nation

“Yeah, and that is the head scratcher because everything is down-hill, so you should know where it is going by that point. To not get off the field and just give our offense more of a chance. That stings the most. I screwed up on a numerous amount of plays, trying to do too much. That’s what we all did and as a leader, I need to take more account for it.”
Cam Heyward.
Well Cam, maybe you wouldn't try to do too much if you weren't covering for having a ILB that doesn't engage.

“Yeah, and that is the head scratcher because everything is down-hill, so you should know where it is going by that point. To not get off the field and just give our offense more of a chance. That stings the most. I screwed up on a numerous amount of plays, trying to do too much. That’s what we all did and as a leader, I need to take more account for it.”
Cam Heyward.
Well Cam, maybe you wouldn't try to do too much if you weren't covering for having a ILB that doesn't engage.
Both of them.