• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's...........Week 6........vs Tampa Bay

If this is so......let’s hope it continues throughout the season. Great job today by all involved. 👍👍

Now a question Ike.
During the week of an upcoming game, would Tomlin,Austin,and Flores not normally pitch in a defensive game plan?
I say this with no malice. I’ve never been the coach of a team. I would have just assumed that the coaches put there heads together every game and come up with a plan. As that is there job is it not?
Every week there is a game plan for the offense and defense. They review the tape of the past game and point out what worked, what didn’t. Then they review the opponent scout tape, which is usually several games combined by the Asst staff for the coaches to go over. Wednesday they install the game plan, with practices including scout team focus through a walk through before travel day. When everyone is healthy enough to play, game planning is pretty much routine. You are finding the weaknesses in the opponents and exploiting them on both sides of the ball.

When the game plan was being installed last week, Tomlin was already aware of the starting three CB, plus Kazee and Minkah were probably not playing. That left only one starting DB (Edmonds) available after Thursday, with two DBs being called up due to lack of players. Plus, with TJ still out and Leal being a late week scratch placed on IR for a knee injury suffered in practice, Loudermilk was getting a hat with the rotation. With all the new players and the moving parts of the defensive game plan against Brady’s offense, Tomlin, Austin and Flores placed an emphasis on the back ups listening and communicating constantly with the veterans and leaders (Heywood, Jacks, Edmonds) so as to be on the same page on every snap. The DBs we’re put through constant scenarios so as to prepare for Leftwich’s and Brady’s scheme. All the while Tomlin, Flores amd Dunbar made changes to the DL’s approach to switching unpredictable formations against 11 and 21 personnel so Brady couldn’t guess which LB was covering what gap or shallow to mid route. If you rewatch the game, just watch how many times Brady and the line are switching up their line calls because they can‘t isolate the buck LB off the DL. All six DL (Cam, Larry, Adams, Loudermilk, Alalau amd Wormley) played a great game.

Now why can’t this happen on the Offense? Well, Canada doesn’t gameplan with his position coaches, nor does he watch film with any one apparently. Tomlin let Arians and Haley do their thing (Haley heavily involved his assistants more so than Arians, who had Ben provide input too).

Also, they gotta find somebody to replace Dotson. That guy takes too many penalties, and because of him, Kenny is injured. He is just bad. I think if they could upgrade the LG spot, they'd be light years ahead.
With Moore improving I see Dotson as the weakest link. Still better than the scrub behind him though. But sure they could upgrade the position. I think both lines still can use a player.

Well never in my wildest dreams did I think this game would play out like this one did today. A complete team win in all 3 phases of the game....Special Teams, Defense and Offense. The Steelers were able to hold it all together today when I didn't think it was possible against Steeler Killah...Tom Brady 12-3 in his career vs Steelers including 3 wins in AFC Championship games. I've gotta give props to Mitch Trubisky who came off the bench today after Pickett went down with an injury and led the Steelers offense downfield making several key throws on 3rd & long conversions.....I hope I'm not the only one that noticed this but today Mitch didn't look heistant in his throws....he knew he had nothing to lose and he let it rip. That is something he didn't do in his first 4 starts for the Steelers but something he needs to do as it's the only way to play. Nice to also see Chase Claypool step late in the game with some big catches on those 3rd & longs. Defensively I'll say this...what a performance! Even Devin Bush make a nice play breaking up the 2 Point Conversion to help preserve the lead. Overcoming all those injuries on Defense (Watt, Leal, Sutton, Wallace, Fitzpatrick, Witherspoon all OUT). Nice to see the team win this one today. Someome please tell me why oh why is this offense throwing the ball consistently outside the numbers of the football field when they are on offense? When we saw Trubisky throw and use the middle of the field...this team was able to march right down the field for the score. I only saw 1 throw over the middle of the field in the first half.....and don't give me that bullshit "NO ONES OPEN". They weren't even running routes to players into the middle of the field. That's all play calling! You can't move an offense up and down the football field without utilitizing the entire field. It's just not possible. Hopefully a sign of things to come. Let's enjoy this one....for 24 hours and look ahead to Miami next Sunday.

Per Tomlin's Post Game:
Kenny Pickett - Concussion, he's in the protocol
James Pierre - Hamstring
Myles Jack - Ankle, able to return
Larry Ogunjobi - Back, able to return

Game Balls:
Mitch Trubisky - He really stepped up today and played great....9 for 12 144 yds 1 TD
Chase Claypool - 7 rec 96 yds including 2 key 3rd and long catches....nice to finally see him step up
Terrell Edmunds - 10 tackles today
Larry Ogunjobi - He was very disruptive today up front...blowing holes in Tampa's O-line and you could see it made Brady very uncomfortable out there
Cam Heyward - He and Ogunjobi did alot today to make Brady uncomfortable out there today
Stephen Sims - Great job returning the football today including an 89 yd return. Can we officially say buh-bye to Gunner O?

Game Goats:
Kevin Dotson - The O-line wasn't great today but this guy was absolutely attrocious today
Mason Cole - He wasn't good today and the botched snap on 2nd & 3 putting us in a 3rd & 13 almost cost us the game

FU's:
Tom Brady - You killed us most of your career....Your the GOAT but I'll always hate you! Your still a *****! **** YOU! I'm gonna go bang Giselle tonight and she'll finally see what a real man is!
Matt Canada - I'm quickly becoming a hater....not much is going to change my mind....his play calling STINKS!

And Boswell should get a game ball. He's our MVP right now.

Don't want to piss in anyone's Cheerios and don't want to be negative, but this team still stinks. Everything had to go perfectly for them to win and it did. Boz gets the bounce over the goalpost, Bush knocks down the 2 pointer, Spillane knocks down a TD pass(this happens as often as Haley's comet) Mitch made some big time 3rd down throws, recovered the bad snap/ fumble that changed a 2nd and 3 to a 3rd and 16...then converted the 3rd and 16. The Myles Jack fingertip pass deflection that stopped a sure Bucs TD... the Sims kick return to the 10. Everything went right and we barely beat them, albeit with a lot of backups in there. Let's hope they've turned the corner, but don't hold your breath for your blood pressures sake at least. Be pleasantly shocked if they continue to produce in the weeks ahead as I will be. :herewego:
We won't despite giving them 3 points to end the first half. Given the field position and momentum the offense had to run the clock down yet the first play was a pass that never was, clock is dead and they used their TOs to get the ball back

We get a lead then play not to lose it instead of playing to add to it
I kept yelling that at the TV before Canaduh even called the plays. I knew we had gone and were going to stay conservative after that first scoring drive. It's like he blows his load on one drive and then that's it - no more creativity. But, they did make plays later in the game again when they needed to. So, he can apparently do it but they (Canaduh and Tomlin) obviously choose to live in their fears and go conservative in every game so far this year. Play to f'ing win! Play to score 30+ in every game no matter what the D is doing.

I kept yelling that at the TV before Canaduh even called the plays. I knew we had gone and were going to stay conservative after that first scoring drive. It's like he blows his load on one drive and then that's it - no more creativity. But, they did make plays later in the game again when they needed to. So, he can apparently do it but they (Canaduh and Tomlin) obviously choose to live in their fears and go conservative in every game so far this year. Play to f'ing win! Play to score 30+ in every game no matter what the D is doing.

His offense is horrible. I swear it looks like the same 10-15 plays every week with 3-5 of them actually working a little.Look at what the defense did as a mash unit of backups. That was a some great planning and someone lit a spark under everyone's *** because they played ******* inspired like it really mattered. So did the offense late in the game when they started running hurry up.

I haven't seen that in a good long while.

I never have an issue losing when you see people giving it all they have for a victory. That includes offensive coaching game plans. You can't keep running plays that fail horribly 90% of the time because they use them too much.

so Steeler players finally began to make some plays yet they still stink

go eat a bag of dicks
I wouldn't want to deprive you of a meal...yes the team still stinks. You must be 12 years old.

Take a look at the Steelers walking into the locker room today after upsetting the Bucs. First off you'll see Isiah Loudermilk.....good lord that guy is a MONSTER....at the :43 second mark watch you will Matt Canada come in...hug someone and walk into the locker room.....

seconds later you see The Boz walking in...."LISTEN TO WHAT HE SAYS".....

Sure as hell sounds to me like it's directed at Canada

Listened a few times but couldn't make it out. What did Boz say?

Boswell said "“it ain’t cause of you, I can guarantee you that much.”
Wow.
I did read somewhere in these threads that some of the players didn't particularly care for Canadas schemes.

Sure if they caught that many breaks in those games. I can't recall.

That's right you can't recall because there are no excuses for losing. Nor are there for winning.

Bush, Spillane, Trubisky, Jack did what they are supposed to do and you're calling them lucky breaks?

I thought Arthur Maulet played great today and I love his fire after the last game. I am starting to think he’s turning into a quality player.
I always thought he was short area capable like a certain CB who fled to the Bungles. But also like Hilton he can get exposed in coverage. Overall a good effort player.

With Moore improving I see Dotson as the weakest link. Still better than the scrub behind him though. But sure they could upgrade the position. I think both lines still can use a player.
That's why I said they had to find somebody. To me, Greene isn't even an option at this point. Hell, put Hassenauer over there or something.

Game balls=Trubisky, Claypool and our defense, especially all the backups that stepped up. All it took to get Claypool going was for me to cut him from one of my fantasy teams. . .

FU to Brady, every day, and 10 times on Sunday. Buh-Bye now and dont let Giselle's strap on slap you on the *** on your way out the door!

Take a look at the Steelers walking into the locker room today after upsetting the Bucs. First off you'll see Isiah Loudermilk.....good lord that guy is a MONSTER....at the :43 second mark watch you will Matt Canada come in...hug someone and walk into the locker room.....

seconds later you see The Boz walking in...."LISTEN TO WHAT HE SAYS".....

Sure as hell sounds to me like it's directed at Canada

"Ain't cause of you. Guarantee that one."

I HOPE that was directed at Canada.

And Boswell should get a game ball. He's our MVP right now.
Yes, if only Boswell could have connected on those two crucial field goal situations against Buffalo, the Steelers would have only lost by 29.