• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game thread - rats vs. Good guys Part II incase you don't understand basic calendar skills

The Andrews thing was legit. He gave himself up, play was over. Had the shoe been on the other foot with the Steelers driving to tie/win, and Friermuth given himself up after a short 1st down catch, getting up to give the ball to the ref and its knocked away and they give possession to Baltimore to end the game, every ********** on here would be losing their minds, talkin about "HE GAAAVE HIMSELF UUUUP, HOW CAN THEY NOT SEE THAT?!?!?!" So I dont wanna hear it
If the refs truly believed that he gave himself up why were there not any blown whistles? In the end, it basically gave the Ravens a TO. Simply terribly refereeing. And if the shoe was on the other foot and it happened to us....I would have blamed Tomlin for horrible coaching.

Nothing. In this game, Kenny Pickett gave himself up when he tripped in the backfield. He laid there like a slug...it was his only defense.

Kenny very clearly gave himself up by not moving for an extended period. Andrews got up immediately. I watched it back a few times. He did absolutely nothing to signal he was giving himself up. He did not catch the ball and then intentionally take a knee or roll on the ground. He went to the ground as part of making that catch and then immediately got up and started running without being touched.

It probably was his intent to give the ball to the ref but too bad. That play was still live. Are the refs mind readers now? Maybe every RB that fumbles from now on should just claim he gave himself up.
To me this is dead on and exactly my point.

Nothing. In this game, Kenny Pickett gave himself up when he tripped in the backfield. He laid there like a slug...it was his only defense.

Kenny very clearly gave himself up by not moving for an extended period. Andrews got up immediately. I watched it back a few times. He did absolutely nothing to signal he was giving himself up. He did not catch the ball and then intentionally take a knee or roll on the ground. He went to the ground as part of making that catch and then immediately got up and started running without being touched.

It probably was his intent to give the ball to the ref but too bad. That play was still live. Are the refs mind readers now? Maybe every RB that fumbles from now on should just claim he gave himself up.
I love the Christmas story reference. Timely.
I agree with your assessment of the play. However, I would like to see the video of the play again. In the one, quick replay that was shown, I thought his knee was on the ground when he was touched and had the ball knocked out. But, I am not 100% certain of that without seeing it again.

Oh and there was about 4 or 5 spots that never ended up costing them but they ended up on the wrong side of.

The last one - where the stupid ***** give Najee 9.5 yards on a 10-yard run and they have to QB sneak - could have cost them the game.

Thoughts on Robinson tonight at ILB?

Active. One play he was caught in between receivers but moving with such purpose he popped the WR on the sideline after a short gain. He was busy dropping a bit to give attention to Andrews as well so can't blame him for that. He also blew up a running play by reading it and blasting the RB in the hole, was talking afterwards and Edmunds told him to calm down.

That whole giving yourself up thing needs to have a hand go in the air like a fair catch or something. Him getting up, I would have plowed the shiznit out of him if it were me and they shouldn't throw a flag. No whistle blew and he could have easily been getting back up to run. They need to come up with something for that in the rules. You know damn well if one of our guys would have flattened him there, we would have gotten a penalty and that would have been complete BS.

I thought Andrews was definitely giving himself up, but agree 100% that it was certainly not clear. The thing that pissed me off is that the clock wound down to 18 seconds as the Steelers recovered the ball.

If the refs believed he had given himself up, that would not have stopped the clock. The refs also believed that Fitz did not swipe the ball to delay the game since they did not throw a flag. Therefore, under the rules, (1) great, he gave himself up, and (2) fine, clock is running, get the ball to the hash, set it and clock keeps running.

If the refs truly believed that he gave himself up why were there not any blown whistles? In the end, it basically gave the Ravens a TO. Simply terribly refereeing. And if the shoe was on the other foot and it happened to us....I would have blamed Tomlin for horrible coaching.
You (and most of us) would have, and already do, blame Tomlin for horrible coaching, regardless

When I saw it I couldn't say he definitely gave himself up. Even if that was the initial intent he jumped up with the ball untouched.

I was on the fence early but leaning toward your viewpoint... He didn't toss the football or get touched. For me at that point he wasn't down...
No whistle equals live ball.

You (and most of us) would have, and already do, blame Tomlin for horrible coaching, regardless
I try not to blame Tomlin for things that are not his responsibility. There is plenty enough real things like sticking with an OC on an offense with a pretty damn good passer and some offensive weapons that averages 1.5 TD a game.