• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

George Pickens says.....

When I finally started watching, I noticed later in the game Pickett rarely even looked Pickens way. This is when he was targeting CAIII. Now this was from my seats in the stadium so not exactly the clear view you get on coaches film. It was still interesting to see.
He doesn't read the whole field, so when starts looking left and releases quickly, he never sees the right half of the field.

I hope Picken's attitude doesnt become more of a problem. I get he is frustrated, but he has done questionable things the last 2 years. maybe work on route running instead of relying on circus catches?

Pickens has already shown he is a huge diva that can't control himself and Tomlin doesn't appear to want to reign him in now as he should. With a little under 5 minutes in the game Pickens made a catch and then taunted the 9ers dude and mouthed off to everyone in earshot and got a 15-yard penalty. Tomlin smiled at him and sent him right back in without missing a play. He should have sat him for the rest of the game to send the message that what he did was and is not acceptable. It's only going to get worse and happen more often.

Too bad our best coach on the staff walked out the door, and it showed

Too bad out HC is buds with one of the worst OCs, hired him and continues to retain him against every bit of common sense (no matter how many crayons he shoves in his mouth)

Pickens has already shown he is a huge diva that can't control himself and Tomlin doesn't appear to want to reign him in now as he should. With a little under 5 minutes in the game Pickens made a catch and then taunted the 9ers dude and mouthed off to everyone in earshot and got a 15-yard penalty. Tomlin smiled at him and sent him right back in without missing a play. He should have sat him for the rest of the game to send the message that what he did was and is not acceptable. It's only going to get worse and happen more often.

It's stuff like this that amazes me. You get enough of those, you're going to lose - especially when you have a total offense of just a few yards. This team is its own worst enemy in so many ways, and it's like they can't see it on film when they go back to the lab.

^^^^^^THIS ^^^^^^^

Just letting this go, sends a message to the entire team………. No Consequences

Devas are born that way but we assist in their growing maturation.

Salute the nation

It's stuff like this that amazes me. You get enough of those, you're going to lose - especially when you have a total offense of just a few yards. This team is its own worst enemy in so many ways, and it's like they can't see it on film when they go back to the lab.

I also wonder, I’m sure Coach Tomlin has close football friends / life advisers that he can confide in that speak of the horrid OC talent.

Can you imagine going to MaMa’s for your birthday and she getting all up in your face asking “What the **** is wrong with you, I raised you better than that”.

Or does she see NFL Coach and free meal ticket and just shuts the hellA up?

Salute the nation

I also wonder, I’m sure Coach Tomlin has close football friends / life advisers that he can confide in that speak of the horrid OC talent.

Can you imagine going to MaMa’s for your birthday and she getting all up in your face asking “What the **** is wrong with you, I raised you better than that”.

Or does she see NFL Coach and free meal ticket and just shuts the hellA up?

Salute the nation

Yeah, I honestly don't get it. Obviously, Tomlin comes off as a likeable guy and he's not completely stupid - far from it. He has to have (I would think) a circle of close friends and relatives that ask him, "Why are you allowing this - or why do you keep doing the same thing?" The only thing that comes to mind is that he's really, really stubborn or a complete narcissist. Or both. Some people refuse to listen or change, even when problems stare them in the face. But we don't blink in the face of adversity.

Last edited:
The problem I have is that when you have a talent like Pickens and you aren't targeting him 8-10 times a day you are wasting him. And if you target him for just a bunch of 2-5 yard passes you are again wasting him. I would throw a minimum of 2 deep passes. Any time the safety stays flat or comes down on his side he should be going deep and we need to throw it up and let him get it.

The problem I have is that when you have a talent like Pickens and you aren't targeting him 8-10 times a day you are wasting him. And if you target him for just a bunch of 2-5 yard passes you are again wasting him. I would throw a minimum of 2 deep passes. Any time the safety stays flat or comes down on his side he should be going deep and we need to throw it up and let him get it.
The Steelers are wasting a lot of players right now.

Tomlin confuses me. Players love to play for him and say how much football knowledge he has, but I sure dont see it. He rarely gives any type of real analysis and just speaks in catchy phrases. We have too much talent to be playing like we do

The Steelers are wasting a lot of players right now.

Same in the past, this coaching regime has a history of that.

Salute the nation

Yes...and in the post-game interviews, TJ absolutely did not look or sound happy. He should've been all smiles at his accomplishment.

"Watt tied the all-time Steelers sack record in Week 1 against the San Francisco 49ers, but he brushed off the accomplishment due to the team's poor performance. Watt made several impact plays, including 3 sacks and 2 forced fumbles, showing his relentless pursuit on the field."

That the 49ers used other coverages than what the Steelers prepared for. I swear, I don't know how this circus can carry on. This proves that money does not correlate to being smart...
But I'm preeeeeetty sure the Steelers didn't use different receiver packages than the niners prepared for... so it's all good.

Remember when many here didn't want O'Canada to leave as it would make it to hard on KP8 having a new OC ?

I said back then, keeping O'Canada would be more devastating than firing him. KP8 is being damaged each day, practice or game.

Salute the nation
“Many here” is that true? How could that be true?

“Many here” is that true? How could that be true?

It was many, lot of people were positive on O’Canadfa coming off the last season with the several wins and KP* doing well.

Salute the nation

Remember when many here didn't want O'Canada to leave as it would make it to hard on KP8 having a new OC ?

I said back then, keeping O'Canada would be more devastating than firing him. KP8 is being damaged each day, practice or game.

Salute the nation
Who? This place was nearly apoplectic that he wasn’t fired at the bye or the end of the season. Unless I missed something after all that.

That isn't what happened at all, but it's what everyone is running with. Pickens wasn't happy about how Warner slammed him to the ground and got in his face about it. He wasn't taunting, especially not anyone and everyone within 15 yards. It was all to Warner, who I'm sure had something to say back.

And Tomlin might not have spit in his face like Cowher, he didn't just smile and put him back in. He told him he can't do things like that, told him to let it go, and they needed him to get back in the game.

Look I get the Tomlin hate, but there's no need to make **** up, there's plenty of negative things to discuss.

Who? This place was nearly apoplectic that he wasn’t fired at the bye or the end of the season. Unless I missed something after all that.

Maybe is wasn’t many, but mostly Coach Tomlin posters. End season by about a month or so.

Salute the nation

https://Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2023/09/getting-sick-and-tired-of-that-damn-offensive-coordinator-stephen-a-smith-wants-steelers-to-hire-todd-haley/

I can't get the link to work, but SA Smith thinking like me...

I agree. I said before the game they had to throw multiple long throws to Pickens and at least 1 or 2 early on to help loosen things up and get the 9ers away from stacking the box. We didn't run enough to even find that out but they also didn't have any semblance of a mid to long-range throwing game either. It was all short crap Canaduh was calling or allowing. If Pickens is 1 on 1 on the outside especially with no over-the-top help, KP has to be given the green light to take 2 or 3 steps and throw it down the sidelines.

I agree. I said before the game they had to throw multiple long throws to Pickens and at least 1 or 2 early on to help loosen things up and get the 9ers away from stacking the box. We didn't run enough to even find that out but they also didn't have any semblance of a mid to long-range throwing game either. It was all short crap Canaduh was calling or allowing. If Pickens is 1 on 1 on the outside especially with no over-the-top help, KP has to be given the green light to take 2 or 3 steps and throw it down the sidelines.
I would love to get a game film view of the offense. Sometimes it is just so frustrating not being able to see the entire field and routes. I am not defending Canada but I do feel he has routes past 10+ and 20+ yards. I feel the biggest issue with him is preparation. It seems like just like Tomlin we come ill prepared and there's no adjustments made. I also feel that Pickett is currently not comfortable throwing deep. He looked great vs the backups in preseason but when that window is tight he just doesn't throw it deep. I hope that changes because if it doesn't I don't see us getting better even with a new OC.