• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Get Excited If You Want the Steelers to Select Malik Willis in 1st Round On Thursday Night

I'm more excited by the advertising posts on this forum.

Hey, have you heard about the new keto diet?
Yeah I am thinking about getting rid of food and going the keto gummy bear route. (better odds of a cold day in hell)

Although we are making banana pancakes for breakfast. It is a keto equivalent with what ingredients we use.

🤓

So when he threw more his accuracy declined. Am I reading this correctly isn't that the opposite of what you want? Only remotely accurate in spurts. Still not hitting the 70 percent marker. Just don't find anything attractive there that takes me away with we are looking more at a Action Jackson prospect and less at a Russell Wilson. Thanks for the breakdown BTW love when fans do it.
It is the opposite of what you want, however, I did think it added context to his weakness. I don’t break down QB film, but I would assume a qualified NFL staff could pick out what happened in these games and work on the issue. Early on I’d imagine any team that drafts Willis would limit him.

Dammit, slash, Willis hit 61% but that was against the best CB's and S in the world. When he moves on to lesser competition in the NFL, hoo-boy, watch out!

Ben played with those same third rate type players and hit a 69 completion percentage in his last season. Closely hitting that desired 70 percent marker.

However we want to spin it Willis accuracy wasn't improving to the level that you think he will be consistent moving forward.
Ben threw the ball 5 yards passed the line of scrimmage. I was going to complete 60% of the passes in that offense.

Dammit, slash, Willis hit 61% but that was against the best CB's and S in the world. When he moves on to lesser competition in the NFL, hoo-boy, watch out!
NFL teams will forever lean on Josh Allen. Completed under 60% of his passes in college. Now he only completes 62% of his passes for his career but just about every team in the league would trade their starter for him.

Willis isn’t near the top of my draft board and I’m not a fan of any of the QBs in the first, but I’ll acknowledge Willis and the others do have the ability to improve as players.

NFL teams will forever lean on Josh Allen. Completed under 60% of his passes in college. Now he only completes 62% of his passes for his career but just about every team in the league would trade their starter for him.

Willis isn’t near the top of my draft board and I’m not a fan of any of the QBs in the first, but I’ll acknowledge Willis and the others do have the ability to improve as players.
I was thinking of Allen before you mentioned him. The pros and cons of Willis. But I think most would say Allen is an exception to the rule. That and I think he had an exceptional coach tutoring him. And he didn't fail at one school and bail. Plus Allen has that size factoring in.

Ben threw the ball 5 yards passed the line of scrimmage. I was going to complete 60% of the passes in that offense.
Over 4000 yards passing that year if he was throwing short he sure stayed on the field a long time then.😉

No. Just no. This guy against legitimate D1 was garbage. 3 INTs against Ole Miss with zero TDs. and 1 TD and 1 INT against Army while throwing 50%. I don't give a hoot how far you can throw and how fast you can run. You are meat in the NFL if you lack accuracy. Enough of this talk of Willis. In any other draft this guy is late #2 or third rounder.

He did it against Virginia Tech, he has guys who won't even be considered UDFA in the NFL. Not saying I like him as the pick, but he has elevated his team against better competition. He was the only reason they beat VT

Oh, I read that as “last season.” I see you meant his last season in college.
Yep just referencing college comparisons. I should have been clearer. Always looking for that trend..

Yep just referencing college comparisons. I should have been clearer. Always looking for that trend..
I look for improvement from year to year or just insane stats they are too hard to ignore. I know next year Young and Stroud are at the top and put up incredible numbers. But like Willis, you have to ask was it their skills or the level of talent around them? Stroud had 2 first-round wide receivers in this year's draft and the top WR prospect for 2023 in Smith‑Njigba. At that point, where do you look at the rest of next year's QBs next to the guys this year?

Spencer Rattler
-Anticipated top pick who lost his starting job. He seems very immature.

Will Levis
-Good size and a big arm. Flashing some potential to move up draft boards, but has developing to do.

Tyler Van Dyke
-I don't know when he's eligible, but he looks the part. Size, arm strength, ability to extend plays. He was very good in his first year starting.

Jake Haener
-Said to have superior arm talent, but is small at 6'1" and 195 lbs. However, made HUGE improvements from 2020 to 2021. Will be 24 next year.

Phil Jurkovec
-A local favorite playing in the WPIAL, he has the ability to make some big-time throws down field. The short and intermediate stuff leaves some to be desired. Has prototypical size and plus pocket movement. I don't see first-round talent when I watch him.

Kedon Slovis
-At one time was touted as a potential top-5 pick and transferred to Pitt. Will look to bounce back to get back into the conversation.

Anthony Richardson
-Really doesn't have any experience but is a name being thrown out there as a breakout candidate.

I look for improvement from year to year or just insane stats they are too hard to ignore. I know next year Young and Stroud are at the top and put up incredible numbers. But like Willis, you have to ask was it their skills or the level of talent around them? Stroud had 2 first-round wide receivers in this year's draft and the top WR prospect for 2023 in Smith‑Njigba. At that point, where do you look at the rest of next year's QBs next to the guys this year?

Spencer Rattler

Will Levis
-Good size and a big arm. Flashing some potential to move up draft boards, but has developing to do.

Tyler Van Dyke
-I don't know when he's eligible, but he looks the part. Size, arm strength, ability to extend plays. He was very good in his first year starting.

Jake Haener
-Said to have superior arm talent, but is small at 6'1" and 195 lbs. However, made HUGE improvements from 2020 to 2021. Will be 24 next year.

Phil Jurkovec
-A local favorite playing in the WPIAL, he has the ability to make some big-time throws down field. The short and intermediate stuff leaves some to be desired. Has prototypical size and plus pocket movement. I don't see first-round talent when I watch him.

Kedon Slovis
-At one time was touted as a potential top-5 pick and transferred to Pitt. Will look to bounce back to get back into the conversation.

Anthony Richardson
-Really doesn't have any experience but is a name being thrown out there as a breakout candidate.
Size and arm strength seem to be better overall in comparison. Accuracy a mixed bag but you will get that. I understand the Stroudt concerns but there is some pretty attractive things to like. I think by end of season we will get a better picture of the class. I think I just like the potential better in comparison. How it shakes out might sway or strengthen that.

I'm just glad we only have to put up with this for another 108 hours or so.

Not a big fan of this extended waiting on the draft to get done. I'm already sick of hearing about it. To me it still won't solve the teams biggest problem in reaching the top of the hill.

Besides the fact that they would likely give up big capital to even get him. It's cause of Kordell. I defended that guy to the BITTER end on the Trib Live Board. I felt the Bears raped them getting him. I was very clearly wrong. And since then I've seen so many athletic run first qbs come and go. RG3 is gonna be the greatest. And it never works. And that's fine. Anyone of tge top four or five could bust just as easy. The problem is I can see Willis coming out like gang busters and putting the Steelers in a huge bind like the Ravens are with Jackson. And that isn't a three year mistake. That will be almost a decade once they sign him to the mega deal. At least the others will either sink or swim.

I don't know if the 61% tells the full story. Willis had 5 games under 60% passing. Three of those games he threw for 30 or more passes (the other two he threw 28 and 24 passes).

When looking at his games when he had 30 or more passes, his completion percentage was 50%. In his other 10 games, he completed 66% of his passes, which is more in line with what you'd want to see.

There is a similar issue with Ridder and Howell, given they both had 4 games under 60% passing. Pickett and Corral each had two (not counting the bowl game for Corral since he was injured early).

Games with 65% or better completion percentage:
Willis-7
Ridder-5
Howell-5
Pickett-7
Corral-8
I would be ok with Corral in 2. He probably goes before that though.

Spencer Rattler

Will Levis

Tyler Van Dyke

Jake Haener

Phil Jurkovec

Kedon Slovis

Anthony Richardson

Nice overview, SF448. I think that in 2022, Slovis reminds people why he was considered a top-tier QB. Good size, decent mobility in the pocket, accurate. He lacks the arm strength I would like but his accuracy and decision-making are pluses.

Nice overview, SF448. I think that in 2022, Slovis reminds people why he was considered a top-tier QB. Good size, decent mobility in the pocket, accurate. He lacks the arm strength I would like but his accuracy and decision-making are pluses.

So "thought" to be less than ideal arm strength, but great accuracy and decision making.......so Kenny Pickett lol. It's funny to start hearing all the excuses for the talent of next year's class already, when you all harp on this year's class for those "weaknesses". Wait until next year though, since that's the popular narrative

What is his deal? I see he started out looking impressive and his completion percentage slowly went to **** as did his TDs and INTs dipped and raised.

Different coach, scheme?

So "thought" to be less than ideal arm strength, but great accuracy and decision making.......so Kenny Pickett lol. It's funny to start hearing all the excuses for the talent of next year's class already, when you all harp on this year's class for those "weaknesses". Wait until next year though, since that's the popular narrative
The one thing that isn't consistent is arm strength and size. A bunch of midgets this year in comparison. Also their isn't two prospects in the running for the number 1 overall pick. Even out of the gates that is more impressive. You put some more experience behind them and you might be surprised how attractive that class ends up looking.

The one thing that isn't consistent is arm strength and size. A bunch of midgets this year in comparison. Also their isn't two prospects in the running for the number 1 overall pick. Even out of the gates that is more impressive. You put some more experience behind them and you might be surprised how attractive that class ends up looking.

Well Pickett and Ridder aren't midgets, but I get that the rest are shorter than normal

I get excited thinking about the outrage and incredulity that will overtake this place if the Steelers draft Willis.

Well Pickett and Ridder aren't midgets, but I get that the rest are shorter than normal
The two also have enough question marks that nobody is putting either at 1 or 2 overall. Nobody in this class gets top billing, the next class starts out of the gates looking like franchise 1A and franchise 1B. That is even without a season helping some others out. I have high hopes for the next class.

I get excited thinking about the outrage and incredulity that will overtake this place if the Steelers draft Willis.
And how will you respond if they pass him by, if he is there at 20?

The two also have enough question marks that nobody is putting either at 1 or 2 overall. Nobody in this class gets top billing, the next class starts out of the gates looking like franchise 1A and franchise 1B. That is even without a season helping some others out. I have high hopes for the next class.

Same was said about Sam Howell one year ago, alot changes in a year