• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Going back-back, to cali cali... I mean Iraq

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
******* pool of waste. So, let them burn or send in the drones?

500,000 flee fighting in Iraq

Heavy fighting erupted inside Tikrit -- the hometown of former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein -- as the military tried to regain control, the sources and a police official in Baghdad said.

According to the witnesses in Tikrit and the Samarra police officials, two police stations in Tikrit were on fire and a military base was taken over by militants, believed to be from the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, also known as ISIS and ISIL.

The governor of Salaheddin province, of which Tikrit is the capital, was missing, according to the sources.

Suspected ISIS militants raided the Turkish Consulate in Mosul on Wednesday, capturing 48 people, including diplomats, and they also seized parts of Baiji, the site of Iraq's largest oil refinery, police officials in Tikrit told CNN.

The devastating ISIS advance is proving an object lesson of much that is wrong in Iraq and the region -- with a festering civil war over the border in Syria adding fuel to the growing sectarian tensions at home.

ISIS is exploiting this to expand its influence, from cities like Falluja and parts of Ramadi that it wrested from the government in Anbar early this year, and from Syrian towns like Raqqa it controls over the border.

That it is capable of fighting the forces of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on one hand, its fellow radicals on another and the Iraqi government on top of that is an indication of the depth to which ISIS has established itself in the region.

The group was an offshoot al Qaeda in Iraq, responsible for the deaths of many U.S. troops in western Iraq. With American help, Iraqi tribal militias put ISIS on the defensive.

But when U.S. troops left the country, the extremist militants found new leadership, grew stronger while in Syria, and returned to Iraq, making military gains often off the backs of foreign fighters drawn to Syria's conflict.

CNN's Mohammed Tawfeeq, Ivan Watson, Talia Kayali, Barbara Starr, Victoria Eastwood, Chelsea J. Carter and Salma Abdelaziz contributed to this report.

Page 2

PoloMalo43

Banned
Reaction score
Well if that's a waste of blood and treasure, all I can say is I'm glad we had a guy in office who would never do that after 9-11

The above line is sarcasm for those in this forum who don't get it, you know who you are.

Ironcitysteelers

Contributor
Reaction score
Really. First response. bush nice. Glad to see your fall back is there for ya

Roy92040

Senor Blues
Contributor
Reaction score
I think that for now it's their problem.

Ironcitysteelers

Contributor
Reaction score
Just seen on cnn, there are close to Baghdad. They are moving quick. Good holding your country together Maliki

Spike

Reaction score
Fall of Saigon, 1975

the blood is on Obama's hands

Iraq Asked U.S. for Strikes, Officials Say

As the threat from Sunni militants in western Iraq escalated last month, Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki secretly asked the Obama administration to consider carrying out airstrikes against extremist staging areas, according to Iraqi and American officials.

But Iraq’s appeals for military assistance have so far been rebuffed by the White House, which has been reluctant to open a new chapter in a conflict that President Obama has insisted was closed when the United States withdrew the last of its forces from Iraq in 2011.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/12/w...rstrikes-on-militants-officials-say.html?_r=1

Ironcitysteelers

Contributor
Reaction score
Load those bit he's up with nukes. Is oil still good with a little radiation?

Hineswardkickedurpanzyass

Reaction score
I never understood how heartless some people could be. The same folks asking to help in Darfur/Tibet/name some shithole country where people were being slaughtered because of their religious beliefs or ethnicity are the same ones saying we should have never been in Iraq where Saddam systematically killed hundreds of thousands of Kurds.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They wanted us gone .............................. Enjoy yourself, *******.

ark steel

Reaction score
I never understood how heartless some people could be. The same folks asking to help in Darfur/Tibet/name some shithole country where people were being slaughtered because of their religious beliefs or ethnicity are the same ones saying we should have never been in Iraq where Saddam systematically killed hundreds of thousands of Kurds.

This is why we need the karma button back.

RollRed

Reaction score
Well if that's a waste of blood and treasure, all I can say is I'm glad we had a guy in office who would never do that after 9-11

The above line is sarcasm for those in this forum who don't get it, you know who you are.

What's comical is that they'll go on and on about losing $500 million on Solyndra and things like that, but the trillion dollars and counting we pissed away in Iraq doesn't garner a peep. The Pentagon loses $500 million in the couch every day. Whats really tragic though is the thousands of young men that never made it home and the thousands more that have to live the rest of their lives with their arms and legs blown off... all that so they could enrich their defense contractor buddies. Since Bush was living the good life during Vietnam, I guess it's no surprise he learned nothing from it. On the other hand, I'm sure ol' "Five Deferrment Dick" Cheney remembered Vietnam quite well. He just doesn't give a **** if a few working class kids have to die so he and his Haliburton homies can pocket a cool $50-$60 billion in the process. But hey, this all happened on a republican adminisrtation's watch so.. you know... It's all good...

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
This will be Afghanistan in 2 years once all our troops are out of there as well.

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
What's comical is that they'll go on and on about losing $500 million on Solyndra and things like that, but the trillion dollars and counting we pissed away in Iraq doesn't garner a peep. The Pentagon loses $500 million in the couch every day. Whats really tragic though is the thousands of young men that never made it home and the thousands more that have to live the rest of their lives with their arms and legs blown off... all that so they could enrich their defense contractor buddies. Since Bush was living the good life during Vietnam, I guess it's no surprise he learned nothing from it. On the other hand, I'm sure ol' "Five Deferrment Dick" Cheney remembered Vietnam quite well. He just doesn't give a **** if a few working class kids have to die so he and his Haliburton homies can pocket a cool $50-$60 billion in the process. But hey, this all happened on a republican adminisrtation's watch so.. you know... It's all good...

Those were the good ole days, when the President actually needed Congressional approval for it's military action. You can also thank Hilary, Kerry, Biden, Reid, and Schumer for their support of Bush.

I thought the war in Iraq was misguided, and stupid. As a result, I voted for Kerry, in protest. Not because I thought Kerry was a good choice, but because I never trusted Bush again. Having said that, I'd take Bush over Obama any day of the week.

What is happenng in Iraq right now is a 1400 year old sectarian war. Sunni vs Shia. It's been put on hold at times, but it has always been there. These AQ militants are in this for purely theological reasons.
Where are the Iranians? Why didn't Maliki ask them for help? Maybe he did, and they said no thank you That would be surprising, being that they will end up fighting them on their doorstep in the future.

If I were Obama, I would send in the drones,but I would ask for compensation. I would ask for payments totaling our entire cost of the Iraq war, with interest.

Spike

Reaction score
At least Obama's newest bestest terrorist buddies he just released will have a new jihadist home.

U.S. Said to Rebuff Iraqi Request to Strike Militants

WASHINGTON — As the threat from Sunni militants in western Iraq escalated last month, Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki secretly asked the Obama administration to consider carrying out airstrikes against extremist staging areas, according to Iraqi and American officials.

But Iraq’s appeals for military assistance have so far been rebuffed by the White House, which has been reluctant to open a new chapter in a conflict that President Obama has insisted was over when the United States withdrew the last of its forces from Iraq in 2011.

The swift capture of Mosul by militants aligned with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria has underscored how the conflicts in Syria and Iraq have converged into one widening regional insurgency with fighters coursing back and forth through the porous border between the two countries. But it has also called attention to the limits the White House has imposed on the use of American power in an increasingly violent and volatile region.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/12/w...rstrikes-on-militants-officials-say.html?_r=1

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Bomma is racist and hates Muslims. Or does He love them? I can't tell. Someone explain it to me.

Spike

Reaction score
Bomma is racist and hates Muslims. Or does He love them? I can't tell. Someone explain it to me.

He just created the next Bin Laden

WW III - here we come

Iran's president vows to combat terrorism in Iraq

Predominantly Shiite Muslim Iran will combat the "violence and terrorism" of Sunni extremists who have launched an anti-government offensive in neighbouring Iraq, President Hassan Rouhani warned on Thursday.

"This is an extremist, terrorist group that is acting savagely," Rouhani said live on state television.

The president did not elaborate on what steps Iran would take to help thwart a bid by fighters from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) to push toward Baghdad after seizing several cities and towns to the north.

http://www.news.net/article/1469252/irans-rouhani-vows-to-combat-terrorism-in-iraq?referid=

-----------------

Jihadists seize hostages at university in Iraq's Ramadi

Jihadists took staff and students hostage on Saturday at a university campus in the Iraqi city of Ramadi, where security forces have battled anti-government fighters for months, police said.

The attack is the third major operation by militants in three days, following heavy fighting and suicide bombings in northern Iraq on Friday and a major assault on the city of Samarra on Thursday.

The militants from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant group infiltrated the university from the nearby Al-Tasha area, killed its guards, and blew up the bridge leading to its main gate, police said

-----------------------
The United States vowed Wednesday to boost aid to Iraq amid fears the US-backed Iraqi army is increasingly powerless against emboldened militants more than two years after American forces withdrew.

But State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki denied the offensive by the Islamic State of Iraq and Levant had caught Washington by surprise

Washington is committed to "working with the Iraqi government and leaders across Iraq to support a unified approach against ISIL's continued aggression," Psaki told reporters, adding that the US administration had long warned of the dangers posed by the militants now sweeping toward Baghdad.

A US official said President Barack Obama's administration was considering sending "more weaponry" to Iraq after ISIL seized the cities of Mosul and Tikrit.

http://www.news.net/article/1467261/us-vows-to-back-iraq-in-fight-against-jihadist-threat?

Last edited:

hamster

Contributor
Reaction score
Iran had no choice. Fight em now, or fight em later.
This is going to be a blood bath.

Ironcitysteelers

Contributor
Reaction score
Get your popcorn ready. China must love this. All the bs that we get ourself in and they just sit back and chill (or waiting).

hamster

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, wait a second. Didn't Bammy say he had AQ on the ropes? This can't be happening.

Steelerfan

Reaction score
If we had just made the whole place a glass parking lot, we wouldn't have these problems now. Just sayin'.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
totally agree. now that we have a strong, handsome leader who can swing a big stick and boost troop morale, we can regain our footing as a superpower.

Vader

Reaction score
If we had just made the whole place a glass parking lot, we wouldn't have these problems now. Just sayin'.

This. I would have never gone to Iraq or Afghanistan. I'd have carpet bombed Afghanistan's Al Qaeda camps. With Iraq I would have sent my arms inspectors in and demanded to see a building. If they refused I'd turn it into ashes. Then I'd go to the next building. Eventually he'd get the idea.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This. I would have never gone to Iraq or Afghanistan. I'd have carpet bombed Afghanistan's Al Qaeda camps. With Iraq I would have sent my arms inspectors in and demanded to see a building. If they refused I'd turn it into ashes. Then I'd go to the next building. Eventually he'd get the idea.

this needed to be said twice.