• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Has Fields done enough to be #1

Not disagreeing. Look at the box when Najee is on the field.

Because we don't scare ANYONE with our passing game - everyone knows the play will be a run. 99% of the time.

Poor OL play coupled with that equates to his poor play. Just saying...
I disagree bud. they were running play action quite a bit and threw to Najee at least three times. I'd like to see more passes to him actually. I love watching him in open space. Najee lacks vision and that is why he is sucking. If you go back and watch Patterson, he makes the right reads on the blocks, makes the cut, and hits the burners. Naj isn't doing that.

Moving train? Is he healthy? Is he practicing? Does he know the playbook?

If the answers are yes,then get that kid in for a few plays and go from that point on. It's not like they have endless options at wr.
I agree 100%. There should be at least a handful of plays his skill set would be best so that they can play him now. We have no one else getting open consistently and catching balls now.

If the Steelers can respond with a win this week with Fields at the helm, I see no logical reason to take him out and Tomlin should say so. If he has a few bad games in a row, then you can consider benching him but they were forced down this path with the Wilson "injury" so now they have to stick with it so they can see if they have something moving forward.

If the Steelers can respond with a win this week with Fields at the helm, I see no logical reason to take him out and Tomlin should say so. If he has a few bad games in a row, then you can consider benching him but they were forced down this path with the Wilson "injury" so now they have to stick with it so they can see if they have something moving forward.

It's a good audition for the future. They're screwed if they can't establish a solid running game. It's not some complex offense.

If I'm a defense I keep stacking the box and pressing, until they make me change by beating it consistently.

LG on the road taps Frazier when Fields is ready..... on the given play.....LG was looking to Fields waiting for Fields to signal he was ready when Frazier snapped the ball. This has nothing to do with Fields. Frazier apparently felt a phantom touch from our LG and snapped the ball. Watching the replay Frazier doesn't get touched.....yet states that he was. How do you fix that is the question.
I remember a time when the Center would look down between his own damn legs to see when/if the QB was ready for the snap. Maybe instead of the fanny patting, we could do something as simple as that?

Not disagreeing. Look at the box when Najee is on the field.

Because we don't scare ANYONE with our passing game - everyone knows the play will be a run. 99% of the time.

Poor OL play coupled with that equates to his poor play. Just saying...
Next Gen also says Harris did not face an eight-man box on any of his 16 carries against the Titans. For the season, Harris (17%) and Warren (14.29%) have similar rates of “stacked boxes” for their runs.

2. Jaylen’s jumps

Warren has as many carries of 10 or more yards this season (nine) as Harris — despite Harris having 100 carries to Warren’s 56.

In more subjective evaluation by Pro Football Focus, Warren ranks 30th among the 63 NFL running backs with the most carries this season; Harris is 48th. Among that group with 32 carries or more, Warren grades as the 21st-best runner, Harris the 52nd. Warren has a slight edge in yards after contact per carry (2.93 to 2.91) but a significant one in “missed tackles forced” per carry (.32 to .20).

Warren also has a significant edge in the grade for receiving (he rates 13th among NFL backs, Harris 43rd) with a much better rate of receiving yards per route run — Warren’s 1.82 is fourth-best in the league, whereas Harris is at 0.86.

Next Gen also says Harris did not face an eight-man box on any of his 16 carries against the Titans. For the season, Harris (17%) and Warren (14.29%) have similar rates of “stacked boxes” for their runs.

2. Jaylen’s jumps

Warren has as many carries of 10 or more yards this season (nine) as Harris — despite Harris having 100 carries to Warren’s 56.

In more subjective evaluation by Pro Football Focus, Warren ranks 30th among the 63 NFL running backs with the most carries this season; Harris is 48th. Among that group with 32 carries or more, Warren grades as the 21st-best runner, Harris the 52nd. Warren has a slight edge in yards after contact per carry (2.93 to 2.91) but a significant one in “missed tackles forced” per carry (.32 to .20).

Warren also has a significant edge in the grade for receiving (he rates 13th among NFL backs, Harris 43rd) with a much better rate of receiving yards per route run — Warren’s 1.82 is fourth-best in the league, whereas Harris is at 0.86.
what? the same Jaylen Warren who has all of 14 carries this season?

LG on the road taps Frazier when Fields is ready..... on the given play.....LG was looking to Fields waiting for Fields to signal he was ready when Frazier snapped the ball. This has nothing to do with Fields. Frazier apparently felt a phantom touch from our LG and snapped the ball. Watching the replay Frazier doesn't get touched.....yet states that he was. How do you fix that is the question.
The phantom slap-***!

I remember a time when the Center would look down between his own damn legs to see when/if the QB was ready for the snap. Maybe instead of the fanny patting, we could do something as simple as that?
Didn't they change the rules to not allow that? For some reason, I thought they did.

Today, I am seeing articles lamenting our WR2 situation again...

I am going to reiterate, The lack of wrs not named Pickens to produce is almost certainly directly tied to Fields and not the wrs themselves

Indy was banged up in the secondary and was short on depth. Fields targeted Pickend despite him drawing their best cover guys...

Last week, against a better secondary, wrs got open just fine...

Remember, Fields wasnt properly taught an NFL offense in Chicago... it led to him being a more one or two read then run type down there... in three seasons his wr 2 never was higher than 4th in targets... unless the wr2 or 3 is the main target on a play, on a ton of plays, he checks the wr1, the TE, and RB... then runs...

Its something he had to work on when getting here.. and last week vs the chargers, it seemed he had a breakthrough...

So again... the worse thing for Fields is reinforcing bad habits in the passing game..

We dont need him to be a true pocket passer, but we do need him to spread the ball around more... teams arent respecting the pass and its killing the run game early
I disagree. These guys were bottom depth chart guys before the season and they're proving it through the first quarter. Receivers not named Pickens have combined for 14 receptions. Jefferson is WR2 (I guess) and has 5 catches for 36 yards. He's just not suited for that role.

IMO, this is like saying the current state of the offensive line with backups playing at both guard positions aren't playing as well because of the scheme rather than the lack of talent. Adams is out there right now and if the Steelers actually want to contend this year, it is a move they should go out and make. A true alpha receiver and would instantly produce better than the scrubs we are running out there on a weekly basis. Pickens would still get his numbers as well.

What has Russ done in a Steelers uniform that he deserves to even be in the discussion?
Fields.
Well that blocking sled the bone head took on is reportedly still feeling the effects of that hit 🤣

Obviously it’s Fields

He just needs to keep improving, which he has been when the players around him aren’t setting him up for failure. Naj consistently putting him in 2nd and long doesn’t help, nor do things like crazy fumbles in the RZ or horrid snaps, or awful officiating (aka the league standard when playing the Steelers)

I’ve seen good zip on the ball, solid accuracy and improving reads when given any time behind the OL…sure he has tried to do too much a couple of times resulting in bad plays but if he cleans that up he could become fairly dangerous. If the offense stays on schedule he’s controlling TOP and getting first downs which fits the AS offense and his deep ball has been better than I expected.

If we had a RB with speed/burst and could run a stretch play threatening the edge of the D he would really open up the field combing that with play action and mixing in some bootlegs.

As long as he keeps this trajectory he should be in consideration for a new contract at seasons’ end.

Ben Still had game left in him.

It was the OL and Offensive scheme that took it out of him.

Proof was his 7 come from behind wins.

Tomlin invested nothing into the OL for Ben’s last season and it was crap ****, and showed.

Ben was better than anyone they had on the roster and add in the eventual 1st rnd Pickett

Salute the nation
Was that because of his vet savvy though? I clearly remember he didn't have the arm strength anymore and him throwing a lot of short and middle stuff.

I disagree. These guys were bottom depth chart guys before the season and they're proving it through the first quarter. Receivers not named Pickens have combined for 14 receptions. Jefferson is WR2 (I guess) and has 5 catches for 36 yards. He's just not suited for that role.

IMO, this is like saying the current state of the offensive line with backups playing at both guard positions aren't playing as well because of the scheme rather than the lack of talent. Adams is out there right now and if the Steelers actually want to contend this year, it is a move they should go out and make. A true alpha receiver and would instantly produce better than the scrubs we are running out there on a weekly basis. Pickens would still get his numbers as well.
Jefferson is barely a bottom half of the league WR3
He’d be a solid WR4

He’s definitely not equipped to be WR2

Spot on with the OL
We have almost the entire preseason projected starting OL out injured with only Moore still standing

Granted Frazier definitely is a huge upgrade over Herbig and likely would’ve won the job had Herbig not got injured but the injuries to the OL and non stop shuffling of guys in to patch it up is giving zero continuity to a group that really needs some.

Meh.....My main concern is after the season Wilson is gone. Fields might get resigned. I rather see what Fields can and can not do to find out do we resign him or look to draft a qb.
True, but it would be great if we could keep both. A Montana/Young type situation using Wilson to maybe get one more Lombardi while Fields develops and learns from Russ. Wilson has to know there aren't many places where he will start and that team will be a contender....there's probably no place like that. Maybe he works a cap friendly deal since he already got "the bag" as the youngsters say from the Broncos. And with this defense and one more receiver he has to know he could get one more ring. We can dream can't we?

Last edited:
True, but it would be great if we could keep both. A Montana/Young type situation using Wilson to maybe get one more Lombardi while Fields develops and learns from Russ. Wilson has to know there aren't many places where he will start and that team will be a contender....there's probably no place like that. Maybe he works a cap friendly deal since he already got "the bag" as the youngsters say from Denver. And with this defense and one more receiver he has to know he could get one more ring. We can dream can't we?
I can certainly dream that the Steelers do better at QB than bring Russ back yet another year older and more injury prone next year.

I’ll take Fields on a 2-3 year deal and a draft pick with some semblance of a possibility of a future at the QB position over another year of even OldeRuss

If Russ can’t get healthy this year, force his way onto the field and win some playoff games I can definitely dream bigger than bringing him back…comparing him to Montana is absurd

What could Fields learn from Russ? Don’t take on the blocking sled and hurt yourself? Think he already knows that…mission accomplished!

They aren’t both coming back

I can certainly dream that the Steelers do better at QB than bring Russ back yet another year older and more injury prone next year.

I’ll take Fields on a 2-3 year deal and a draft pick with some semblance of a possibility of a future at the QB position over another year of even OldeRuss

If Russ can’t get healthy this year, force his way onto the field and win some playoff games I can definitely dream bigger than bringing him back…comparing him to Montana is absurd

What could Fields learn from Russ? Don’t take on the blocking sled and hurt yourself? Think he already knows that…mission accomplished!

They aren’t both coming back
Comparing the situation...not the individuals as in Russ= Montana. Before any of this we had Pickett and Mason no one saw us having this discussion today, anything can happen.

Comparing the situation...not the individuals as in Russ= Montana. Before any of this we had Pickett and Mason no one saw us having this discussion today, anything can happen.
gotcha, that makes more sense

I still hope like hell that ain’t the anything that does happen…I definitely want better than Russ coming back moving forward.

Sadly I see Allen mentoring Fields more on the sidelines than Russ does. He just is in his own world with that smug look on his face…

He looks like butt hurt Canada after a scoring drive as Justin is out there stealing his lunch.

Was that because of his vet savvy though? I clearly remember he didn't have the arm strength anymore and him throwing a lot of short and middle stuff.

Because his OL couldn’t give him enough time consistently. Ben had the fastest release in the nfl, due to that porous OL and O’Canada play calling and telecasting.

I’m sure his arm strength was less than due to age, but he still had game and made all those comeback wins. I’m not going to look up his throwing charts, but something had to be working or we would have been down 7 more games and Coach Tomlin would have lost his GREATEST ever mediocre title.

Salute the nation

" It's his body of work...if you will."

I think you try him. To not do so is insane. That's why he was brought here.... that's why Denver signed him for 245 million because he's not washed like many think. As Arthur Moats has said " When in his entire career has he not shown what he can do?" Or something like that. Even with not playing a full season in Denver he put up 3,000+ yards and 26 touchdowns. Fields was on pace after the Denver game (according to Pro Football Reference) for 11 TDs and something like 1,800 yards. I think you go with the vet instead of on the job training with a guy who is not going to get you anywhere come January. Fields is not ready to take us anywhere meaningful at this point, with Russ there is a possibility. Just my 2 cents.
I can't believe that nobody in four pages has fact-checked this post with simple math. Fields averaged threw for 156 yards against Atlanta and 117 versus Denver. That's an average of 136.5 yards passing per game. So he was on pace for 2321 yards over a full season. Not "something like 1800."

Currently Fields is averaging 207.5 yards per game, which would put him at 3528 for a full season, which would fall squarely into your 3000+ category there. He has 3 passing touchdowns and 3 rushing touchdowns, which would yield exactly the 26 TDs you exalted above.

So...it's "insane" to take him out? OK.

I'm torn... this wont be a popular opinion, but I still dont think Fields is ready...
Nothing I saw today makes me think he isnt just a slightly better version of his Chicago woes...
Coming back from a 17-0 deficit on the road to give his team a chance to win on the final drive is "nothing" to you?
this was his second 300 yard game.. he is 0-2 in them now... it was his 7th game throwing for over 250 yards... he is 2-5 in them..
So what? Ben Roethlisberger only had four 300-yard performances in his first four seasons, and his record in those games was 1-3.
He still has issues with comically bad fumbles...though they are thankfully happening much less often.. and we recover most of them
The comically bad fumble in this game was injurious, no doubt, but it was also initiated by the Steelers somehow being unable to lay a finger on not one but two blitzing defensive players.