• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Hate for Najee?

I don’t hate nor dislike Najee Harris. He appears to be a great young man, good football player and team first kind of guy.
However as I’ve said in previous posts, never ever would have used a first round pick on him.
Team would have been much better served drafting a perennial pro bowl center Creed Humphrey but the pick of Najee has Tomlin’s fingerprints all over it like so many other questionable high round picks.
You simply must concentrate on building the trenches first with top quality players. RBs can come later in the draft as we’ve seen with success with other teams namely KC with Pacheco a seventh round pick.
Something Tomlin has failed to see over multiple drafts until Omar and Andy started driving.
I see your logic, but would like to point out that we could have had Najee AND Creed. Instead, we went with Muth, whom we likely could have had in the third.

I can’t speak for 448 but when I say that about a player at Latrobe it isn’t about just not signing an autograph. Lot of players have fan interaction without signing. Every once and awhile players just give off vibes with negative attitudes. You can come across those types in your casual interaction with people. You might just think that person is having a bad day. But Plax had a lot of bad days. Hampton seemed to have a tude more often than not. Heyward got on Jarvis and that send out a red flag for me. I try not to again lock into one day but over time you can see these players and get a feel for them. Like James Conner and Ryan Clark always seemed to be in good spirits and interacted well. No shocker really because some of the players are great people and some are simply tools. No different than anywhere else.

With more fans at training camp it is harder to get a feel for players and you don’t get to talk to them as much as times past. But if you go to Latrobe enough you can still get a feel for how players come across.

GREAT post slash, thanks for this and all the other great ones along the way.

Such as in life, but also in the job…… these guys are just human despite the pedestals some seem to put them on. they take that entitlement and let it go to their heads.

Some are grounded and respectful, but some are not………. Same as in Life.

Salute the nation

I see your logic, but would like to point out that we could have had Najee AND Creed. Instead, we went with Muth, whom we likely could have had in the third.

This and add in the GREEN experiment and you have a “bad taste” burned into many a mouths.

Salute the nation

The news now is saying they are looking at an extension for Najee. I'd like to see Najee and Warren get extensions (Warren in another year) for a few years. That 1-2 punch is tough to beat and now they may have a good to very good OL to run behind.

I can’t speak for 448 but when I say that about a player at Latrobe it isn’t about just not signing an autograph. Lot of players have fan interaction without signing. Every once and awhile players just give off vibes with negative attitudes. You can come across those types in your casual interaction with people. You might just think that person is having a bad day. But Plax had a lot of bad days. Hampton seemed to have a tude more often than not. Heyward got on Jarvis and that send out a red flag for me. I try not to again lock into one day but over time you can see these players and get a feel for them. Like James Conner and Ryan Clark always seemed to be in good spirits and interacted well. No shocker really because some of the players are great people and some are simply tools. No different than anywhere else.

With more fans at training camp it is harder to get a feel for players and you don’t get to talk to them as much as times past. But if you go to Latrobe enough you can still get a feel for how players come across.
My kid got his autograph at training camp last year. Seemed like a good egg.

AB was the best at signing autographs during his time here. He loved to be the center of attention.

The news now is saying they are looking at an extension for Najee. I'd like to see Najee and Warren get extensions (Warren in another year) for a few years. That 1-2 punch is tough to beat and now they may have a good to very good OL to run behind.
I sure hope so. Both should be fairly compensated. Just got to figure out what that is.

All 1st rounders are about a 50/50 chance to be a starter......Harris is one of 9 players to rush for 1000 plus yards in his first 3 seasons. Name these game changer 1st round Players you refer to. Few and far I am guessing. Anyways... Every year we have 32 1st rounders so it should be an easy task for you I would think. No?
You're right, few and far and the reason not to use a 1st unless they're something special. In this century only McCaffrey, Peterson, Lynch and Jackson really come to mind. Take out the handful of "game changers" over the last 25 years and I believe 1st rd backs have averaged around 5000 yards rushing for their career. Hopefully Najee has a long and productive career, but so far he hasn't proven to be a back that can take over a game. That's what they needed when they spent a 1st on him.

I've been on five Steelers cruises, so I know how wide the range of attitudes from players can be, even in a festive, non-professional atmosphere. Najee just doesn't seem like a "tool" candidate to me. He came from nothing, and appears to be thankful for his current position in life. That's why I was curious.

The word "hate" is an often-overused word. It is also a very POWERFULL word that shouldn't be used lightly.

I think most here disapprove of the draft position he was taken and the player we missed on, twice.

Salute the nation

I've been on five Steelers cruises, so I know how wide the range of attitudes from players can be, even in a festive, non-professional atmosphere. Najee just doesn't seem like a "tool" candidate to me. He came from nothing, and appears to be thankful for his current position in life. That's why I was curious.
I was just talking in general,I don’t know enough about Najee. What I have heard about him has been positive reports as far as off the field news….

I like Harris i think he gets alot of unjustified hate. Alot of his numbers were top 10 in the league which was surprising. Things like yards after contact, 20yrd runs, etc etc...... The line / playcalling didn't do him much favors. Hopefully that changes this year. Warren / Harris is a very good tandem.

My kid got his autograph at training camp last year. Seemed like a good egg.

AB was the best at signing autographs during his time here. He loved to be the center of attention.
True I thought the same about AB. I did see his attitude change though from his rookie season. He would actually hang out in areas. I thought his behavior changes impacted the team more than the fans , until later the fans tired of his negative team moments.

You're right, few and far and the reason not to use a 1st unless they're something special. In this century only McCaffrey, Peterson, Lynch and Jackson really come to mind. Take out the handful of "game changers" over the last 25 years and I believe 1st rd backs have averaged around 5000 yards rushing for their career. Hopefully Najee has a long and productive career, but so far he hasn't proven to be a back that can take over a game. That's what they needed when they spent a 1st on him.
So in the first round the only time you pick a RB is if they are a game changer? What about the other positions? QB? OLBer? Again. ALL first rounders have a 50% wash out rate. While we didn't pick up Harris' 5th year option I still see that we could sign him to a 2nd contract. Where we picked him ...mid 20s wasn't a bad spot at all.

So in the first round the only time you pick a RB is if they are a game changer? What about the other positions? QB? OLBer? Again. ALL first rounders have a 50% wash out rate. While we didn't pick up Harris' 5th year option I still see that we could sign him to a 2nd contract. Where we picked him ...mid 20s wasn't a bad spot at all.
To your point, if he were to make it to being a free agent next year, he would be swooped up in a second.

Like what? Not signing an autograph or something?

And I'm also not sure what you mean when you say that Najee only runs hard "when the media is on him." I find that rather hard to believe.

This is a pretty good summary. I don't care about the autographs, but just give some kids a quick wave after practice when they're cheering for you rather than not even look at them. It really doesn't take much to make a kids day rather than flat out ignore them.

I firmly believe Harris runs harder when he has a chip on his shoulder. More often than not he just looks like a guy out there. Face some criticism from the media and he runs like the guy I thought we drafted and can put the offense on his back.

Yes, their average careers are too short and quality backs can be had in the lower rounds and as UDFA. It actually kind of applies to all skill positions in the first. The conversation was about Najee, not QBs or OLBs, but I would venture a guess that RBs and QBs washout at a higher rate than LBs and O/D lineman. Najee has been solid and dependable and it will be extremely disappointing if they don't work out a reasonable extension. Too many of this teams first rounders haven't seen a second contract as of late.

I have been a huge Najee hater. That said i hope he kills it this year. Get him angry, with enough space to get up to speed downhill he can push the pile, we saw it more than ever, at times, last season. I think him and Warren look much improved this year. Jaylen has been nothing but a pass protecting, pass catching, hardnosed fireplug who plays more like the 240 lb back than Najee. That samoan power is just different. No way Najee deserves to be paid more than Warren at contract time. Not a chance.

I have been a huge Najee hater. That said i hope he kills it this year. Get him angry, with enough space to get up to speed downhill he can push the pile, we saw it more than ever, at times, last season. I think him and Warren look much improved this year. Jaylen has been nothing but a pass protecting, pass catching, hardnosed fireplug who plays more like the 240 lb back than Najee. That samoan power is just different. No way Najee deserves to be paid more than Warren at contract time. Not a chance.
Harris has [proven he can be the workhorse for a team. Warren has not. I hope they keep both for several more years.

To your point, if he were to make it to being a free agent next year, he would be swooped up in a second.
Not at his "self-value" where it is. He thinks he's one of the best
The entire draft was an apocalyptic FAIL, in so many ways. Thanks Colbert and Shades.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/draft.htm

Not at his "self-value" where it is. He thinks he's one of the best

The entire draft was an apocalyptic FAIL, in so many ways. Thanks Colbert and Shades.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/draft.htm
How do you know what his self value is? How do you know what he thinks? Have I missed something he said regarding those issues? Perhaps I did, so I am legitimately asking.

But the second statement...apocalyptic? Really? The got a RB who has gone for over a 1000 in 3 straight years. They got a TE who has caught over 150 passes and 11 tds in 3 years. They got Moore in the 4th who has played a lot of solid snaps for them. Is he great? By no means, but for a 4th not bad. Yeah, the Green thing was a disaster. I woulda preferred Creed Humphrey. It happens. But I would not call that draft apocalyptic.

How do you know what his self value is? How do you know what he thinks? Have I missed something he said regarding those issues? Perhaps I did, so I am legitimately asking.

But the second statement...apocalyptic? Really? The got a RB who has gone for over a 1000 in 3 straight years. They got a TE who has caught over 150 passes and 11 tds in 3 years. They got Moore in the 4th who has played a lot of solid snaps for them. Is he great? By no means, but for a 4th not bad. Yeah, the Green thing was a disaster. I woulda preferred Creed Humphrey. It happens. But I would not call that draft apocalyptic.
and technically it isnt over as the traded Green for a 2025 6th round pick. maybe they find the next AB. (before crazy)

A Henry is worth taking in the 1st; they thought they were getting a Henry, they sure as sh-- did not. Henry has speed, Najee has almost none, huge difference and the front office never considered that. They didn't think a no 40-time should raise red flags. Stupid on their part. Do you think Najee slow @ss will ever get a 5.4 ypc for a season? Not a prayer.

A Henry is worth taking in the 1st; they thought they were getting a Henry, they sure as sh-- did not. Henry has speed, Najee has almost none, huge difference and the front office never considered that. They didn't think a no 40-time should raise red flags. Stupid on their part. Do you think Najee slow @ss will ever get a 5.4 ypc for a season? Not a prayer.
He has not run behind a NFL caliber line yet.

I know you know this because you have bitched about how bad Moore, Green and the line that "shades" by himself put together.

Harris is the guy that continuously got 1000 yards+ behind that horrible line.