• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Heyward for a 2nd and 4th- would you take on this trade?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

“The #Eagles were mentioned as a “potential landing spot” for #Steelers DL Cameron Heyward by
@BleacherReport
. Kristopher Knox of Bleacher Report says a trade for Heyward would consist of a 2025 second and 2026 fourth round pick. #FlyEaglesFly

I personally wouldn’t due to the lack of proven depth at the position.

Not that two picks for an aging player coming off injury isn’t attractive.

What say you would you accept that trade?

mixed feelings here.

I would love to have his money back on the table.

He still has game and makes things happen.

He's a leader in the locker room.

He is done in two years.

Tough call, but if we think we can make a legit run at the Lombardi this year, no trade. If not, trade.

Cam could be the anomaly, and play three more productive years. I think the odds are against him being a full time disrupter. In the 4 D-line set, he may extend some playing life.

The front office is set to have Cam finish his career here, so I doubt very much it will ever happen.

I’d take the trade though, and with Wiedl involved should be able to find a legitimate replacement in the draft.

Make no mistake that this is one of those very tough decisions that the entire team, players and coaches, watch very close. We, as fans, look short of ramifications of these type of decisions as we aren’t near the day to day interaction. Sometimes what’s best for the team may be different than what many fans think.

Salute the nation

Cam could be the anomaly, and play three more productive years. I think the odds are against him being a full time disrupter. In the 4 D-line set, he may extend some playing life.

The front office is set to have Cam finish his career here, so I doubt very much it will ever happen.

I’d take the trade though, and with Wiedl involved should be able to find a legitimate replacement in the draft.

Make no mistake that this is one of those very tough decisions that the entire team, players and coaches, watch very close. We, as fans, look short of ramifications of these type of decisions as we aren’t near the day to day interaction. Sometimes what’s best for the team may be different than what many fans think.

Salute the nation
Not hard at all. Heyward isn't in the realm of other great Steelers. He is a notch or two below. Winning in the post season is where Heyward falls short with many of our other greats. If a team is willing to give all that up for Heyward and his salary..... the Steelers should jump on it.

Look at who the Steelers have drafted in the second round over the past four years: Pat Freiermuth, George Pickens, Joey Porter Jr., Keeanu Benton, Zach Frazier. Those are all good foundational pieces to build around and it doesn't even factor in some of the solid players they've grabbed in the 4th.

There is a place for veterans, but it is also a young man's game and it's better to get rid of a veteran a year too early rather than a year too late. No way is he on the trade market, but I'd probably take the deal.

Look at who the Steelers have drafted in the second round over the past four years: Pat Freiermuth, George Pickens, Joey Porter Jr., Keeanu Benton, Zach Frazier. Those are all good foundational pieces to build around and it doesn't even factor in some of the solid players they've grabbed in the 4th.

There is a place for veterans, but it is also a young man's game and it's better to get rid of a veteran a year too early rather than a year too late. No way is he on the trade market, but I'd probably take the deal.

Pat Freiermuth has been average. (Creed Humphrey has been exceptional), hopefully in Author Smith’s O’, he will light it up.

I hear yaz 448, the younguns are going to pan out big time, thaqt’s my hope.

Salute the nation

Pat Freiermuth has been average. (Creed Humphrey has been exceptional), hopefully in Author Smith’s O’, he will light it up.

I hear yaz 448, the younguns are going to pan out big time, thaqt’s my hope.

Salute the nation
I thought he was pretty good his first two years before taking a step back last season. I think he can establish himself in that 8-12 range of tight ends and has the perfect opportunity to in Smith's offense, as you mentioned. Without a WR2 in this lineup, Freiermuth should see a ton of targets.

I thought he was pretty good his first two years before taking a step back last season. I think he can establish himself in that 8-12 range of tight ends and has the perfect opportunity to in Smith's offense, as you mentioned. Without a WR2 in this lineup, Freiermuth should see a ton of targets.
I believe he was the first TE ever to have at least 60 receptions in his first 2 seasons. Last season he did take a step back though.

Even though the offer would be great for the Steelers, there's zero depth at Dline and that would make the trade impossible
Meh. It isn't like when Heyward is much depth himself. Against the run we are porous with or without him. At $16 mill this season maybe he can step up his game. Fingers crossed. I won't be holding my breath though.

Hopefully he screenshots this and uses it at motivation. Can Heyward push us to the SB!!!??????

I kind of view Freiermuth the same way I view Pickens in that I feel both are exceptionally talented, but it's hard to gauge exactly what caliber of player they are due to the inconsistent QB play and questionable systems they've had to deal with to this point.

Not many TEs have the agility to make cuts and run routes like Freiermuth can.

Travis Kelce and Tyreek Hill were not exactly stars until they got to play with Mahomes.

Creed Humphries definitely would have been the better pick in hindsight, but that might be due to things beyond Freiermuth's control.

Last edited:
Meh. It isn't like when Heyward is much depth himself. Against the run we are porous with or without him. At $16 mill this season maybe he can step up his game. Fingers crossed. I won't be holding my breath though.

Hopefully he screenshots this and uses it at motivation. Can Heyward push us to the SB!!!??????

I thought the Steelers' run defense made noticeable improvement toward the end of the season when Heyward got healthier, but his pass rush really dropped off.

He had only 2 sacks and 3 QB hits in 11 games last year. It was naive to think he would continue playing at an All pro level into his mid-30s, and it could very well be a sharp decline from here.

He could surprise by having one more great season in him, but it is not something in which a team should have enough confidence to trade a second round pick, especially if they're expected to take on all his salary.

I kind of view Freiermuth the same way I view Pickens in that I feel both are exceptionally talented, but it's hard to gauge exactly what caliber of player they are due to the inconsistent QB play and questionable systems they've had to deal with to this point.

Not many TEs have the agility to make cuts and run routes like Freiermuth can.

Travis Kelce and Tyreek Hill were not exactly stars until they got to play with Mahomes.

Creed Humphries definitely would have been the better pick hindsight, but that might be due to things beyond Freiermuth's control.
My problem with Muth is the multiple concussions...

I thought the Steelers' run defense made noticeable improvement toward the end of the season when Heyward got healthier, but his pass rush really dropped off.

He had only 2 sacks and 3 QB hits in 11 games last year. It was naive to think he would continue playing at an All pro level into his mid-30s, and it could very well be a sharp decline from here.

He could surprise by having one more great season in him, but it is not something in which a team should have enough confidence to trade a second round pick, especially if they're expected to take on all his salary.

Don’t sell short, but the rise of Benton had big impact on that run “D”.

Salute the nation

Not unless it was what Cam wanted.

You would be basically punting on the DL this season barring miraculous jumps by the young guys...
Think so? He basically didn't play last year or played ineffective. They made playoffs with least production from Qb and two gaping holes on the offensive line. This team makes playoffs and is either one and done or gets to divisional round with or without Cam.

Think so? He basically didn't play last year or played ineffective. They made playoffs with least production from Qb and two gaping holes on the offensive line. This team makes playoffs and is either one and done or gets to divisional round with or without Cam.
He was injured last year. came back early and worked his way into playing shape. No one knows how this year will go, but hopefully he is back. A healthy Cam makes any team better