• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

I am liking the Steelers draft in 2023 so far.

I provided plenty of my likes prior to the draft. No need to beat my chest after the fact.

You barely watch college football if at all. The time you tried to break down tape your agenda roadblocked your viewpoint.

Again you are the worst self proclaimed draftnik in the history of. What makes your opinions the worst is after people point out where your thinking is flawed you still trot out the same bullshit over and over and over again.

You are more concerned with your ****** opinions than seeing why the Steelers drafted said player.

So now I gone from never watched college football to I watch some? What's next? My ability as a " Draftnick " is good. Do you want to see my stuff on draft day and compare that to the Steelers?! I thought so but the offer stands.

I'm actually going to give Coach a pass on this one.
We get on him when he spouts opinions off without giving any indication of what led him to form those opinions. In this post, he states what he would have done and why. Can't get on him for doing what we've told him he needs to do for years.
Like Litos, I disagree with some of his grades for value. But, overall, I've seen other opinion posts that were worse work than what he's done here.
He is an attention *****. I am not giving him a pass for being the same ol douchebag.

Dude, The QB I liked was off the board in round four an we picked up a good punter in Branded Mann in free agency pre draft. Pay attention! I took no's one report.

My review was mostly positive besides a TE who has been injured and not very productive in college. I felt we could have done better in round three. Now can you list who you would have taken, or do your lack the stones and acumen to say so after all these years? It is one or the other because board knows you love to comment on my posts and I have asked you this question before.

For the fifteen time I watch college football!

There are no BUSTS this year in round 1-3 as I called the before they played down 1. Remember Burns, that CB who never played for us, and Bush? And Davis and K. Green? As they say it is can be found in the archives of this forum and they are time stamped.

I have to put my trust in you guys that watch college football. I don't, so I don't know squat about these players.
This draft appears to be an A+. If you're happy, I'm happy!

So now I gone from never watched college football to I watch some? What's next? My ability as a " Draftnick " is good. Do you want to see my stuff on draft day and compare that to the Steelers?! I thought so but the offer stands.
I don't think you watch any but I was thinking maybe you watched 2 minutes of a game somewhere a long the line.

No you are now and forever will be a horrific draftnik that is lazy and ignorant in his approach. That hasn't changed.

Coach - now that it is over, and we have our left tackle for the foreseeable future. would you really have taken BR at 14. knowing we lose out on an elite LT?

Coach - now that it is over, and we have our left tackle for the foreseeable future. would you really have taken BR at 14. knowing we lose out on an elite LT?
You know the answer to that question.

I have to put my trust in you guys that watch college football. I don't, so I don't know squat about these players.
This draft appears to be an A+. If you're happy, I'm happy!
Don't lump him in with guys that actually watch college football. Don't do them that injustice.

Washington was a ******* steal. I'm actually giddy about Jones,Washington and Pickens blocking on running plays. All of them will put people on their *****.

That opens up everything and moves them back toward being physically dominant.

You obviously didn't watch much Georgia football.

Here is my annual who I would have taken thread. If you care to play along, and don't live in a glass house and throw stones, you are welcome to add in who you would have taken. The rules are you can only take a player on the board in a given round. No trades. You can only pick where the Steelers actually select in a given round.

I like the Khan and Wedil team. Upon request I can show you a sample of previous drafts years.

Having said that here is who I would have taken.

Round one.

Steelers selected OT Broderick Jones
I would have taken the same player
Grade for need in the round A
Grade for value B+

Jones is a big tackle , with long arms and big hands. He did not give up sack last year. He is excellent vs. the pass, and has upside vs the run. He worked out well at the combine running a sub 5.0 40 and offers good lateral agility and flexibility on film. His punch and hand placement vs the run needs a little work. The Steelers have not drafted a tackle in round one since the 1990's. I project he will start as a rookie. He's only 21.

Round Two A

Steelers select CB Joey Porter jr
I would have taken, Same player
Grade for need B
Grade for value in the round A

Porter is an extremely long corner who can run well and swat down passes. But he is poor at intercepting them. Last year he had 11 pass breakups in 10 starts! A decent press style corner ( we lack them ) that should be good in short coverage and defend the side line very well. But his hands might draw more flags than I care for. A good CB 2 who should not be matched vs. the very quick or very fast, but has shut down ability vs. most WR's.

Round two B.

Steelers select DT Keeanu Benton
Who I would have taken, same player
Grade for need A
Grade for value in the round B+

Benton impressed me at the senior bowl and can be a good DT / NT. He should strat for us, and play DT / NT in 4-3, and the nickel. He offers a good two gap defense, which is something the defense sorely needs. His motor is good. He is tough to move and strong. Rotated off the field in obvious passing downs. He adds usual toughness.

Round three

Steeler select Washington
Who I would have take S Battle
Grade for need C
Grade for value in the round B

Now this pick did not make much sense to me. We don't need a TE. This player wasn't productive in college. And he was a medical red flag. He is a tall TE, a big target, and has decent speed. Okay but there were better and more productive players on the board and our depth at TE is fine. I would have taken Battle. A player who offers some coverage ( with size ) and play the run well and is smart.

Round four

Steelers select Herbig
Who I would have taken CB Blue Kelly
Grade for need B
Grade for value B

Herbig is a solid pick. A bit undersized, but he worked fairly well and had 11 sacks last year. In 11 games. Good production as a bitzer / attacker, but he leaves a lot to be desired as a run defender, He should add to special teams. His film is impressive.

I would have opted for CB Blue Kelly, a corner who had 13 pass break ups at two intercpetions in 11 starts. He can't be matched vs a #1 WR , but will shine when matched vs a 3,4 or 5.

Round seven A

Steelers select CB Cory Trice
Who I would have taken QB Bagent
Grade for value C
Frade for need C

Trice is a very tall and big corner. Not a bad pick but I would have opted for QB Bagent who absolutely set division II on fire throwing for 4,500+ yards at 70% completion and 41 td's last year. Such a man deserves a look.

Round seven B
Steelers select G Anderson
Who I would have taken LB Thomas
Grade for need C
Grade for value C

The fascination with Maryland players continues. I would have selected LB Drake Thomas who was a team captain and all over the field. He made 101 tackles, 19 for loss with 7.5 sacks, also breaking up four passes in 13 start last year. Yes he is short, but fine for special teams, and offers leadership, smars, toughness.

Overall I am very pleased with this draft and for a chage my picks are very simlar to the Steelers.
and here is my annual merge your attention ***** thread with your other attention ***** thread

no one gives a **** who you would have taken

I can’t believe the Steelers got Washington when they did. I would have liked Branch over Porter but I’m kinda biased against Porter. I was talking to a guy who’s son played football with my son and we both felt like Porter wasn’t all that great as a high school player. Really good, but not dominant, not a man among boys type that you would expect as a high NFL draft pick.

and here is my annual merge your attention ***** thread with your other attention ***** thread

I thinj that should be a stand alone post why merge?

I can’t believe the Steelers got Washington when they did. I would have liked Branch over Porter but I’m kinda biased against Porter. I was talking to a guy who’s son played football with my son and we both felt like Porter wasn’t all that great as a high school player. Really good, but not dominant, not a man among boys type that you would expect as a high NFL draft pick.
Regarding Washington, I know reports of medical concerns came out, but I do wonder if he dropped because he's primarily a blocking tight end and is pretty raw as a receiver. A lot of the guy ahead of him are primarily receiving threats and that is what most teams prefer. Either way, he was the type of tight end the Steelers needed and they got him in the perfect spot in the draft.

Here is my annual who I would have taken thread. If you care to play along, and don't live in a glass house and throw stones, you are welcome to add in who you would have taken. The rules are you can only take a player on the board in a given round. No trades. You can only pick where the Steelers actually select in a given round.

I like the Khan and Wedil team. Upon request I can show you a sample of previous drafts years.

Having said that here is who I would have taken.

Round one.

Steelers selected OT Broderick Jones
I would have taken the same player
Grade for need in the round A
Grade for value B+

Jones is a big tackle , with long arms and big hands. He did not give up sack last year. He is excellent vs. the pass, and has upside vs the run. He worked out well at the combine running a sub 5.0 40 and offers good lateral agility and flexibility on film. His punch and hand placement vs the run needs a little work. The Steelers have not drafted a tackle in round one since the 1990's. I project he will start as a rookie. He's only 21.

Round Two A

Steelers select CB Joey Porter jr
I would have taken, Same player
Grade for need B
Grade for value in the round A

Porter is an extremely long corner who can run well and swat down passes. But he is poor at intercepting them. Last year he had 11 pass breakups in 10 starts! A decent press style corner ( we lack them ) that should be good in short coverage and defend the side line very well. But his hands might draw more flags than I care for. A good CB 2 who should not be matched vs. the very quick or very fast, but has shut down ability vs. most WR's.

Round two B.

Steelers select DT Keeanu Benton
Who I would have taken, same player
Grade for need A
Grade for value in the round B+

Benton impressed me at the senior bowl and can be a good DT / NT. He should strat for us, and play DT / NT in 4-3, and the nickel. He offers a good two gap defense, which is something the defense sorely needs. His motor is good. He is tough to move and strong. Rotated off the field in obvious passing downs. He adds usual toughness.

Round three

Grade for need C

Now this pick did not make much sense to me. We don't need a TE. This player wasn't productive in college. And he was a medical red flag. He is a tall TE, a big target, and has decent speed. Okay but there were better and more productive players on the board and our depth at TE is fine. I would have taken Battle. A player who offers some coverage ( with size ) and play the run well and is smart.

Round four

Steelers select Herbig
Who I would have taken CB Blue Kelly
Grade for need B
Grade for value B

Herbig is a solid pick. A bit undersized, but he worked fairly well and had 11 sacks last year. In 11 games. Good production as a bitzer / attacker, but he leaves a lot to be desired as a run defender, He should add to special teams. His film is impressive.

I would have opted for CB Blue Kelly, a corner who had 13 pass break ups at two intercpetions in 11 starts. He can't be matched vs a #1 WR , but will shine when matched vs a 3,4 or 5.

Round seven A

Steelers select CB Cory Trice
Who I would have taken QB Bagent
Grade for value C
Frade for need C

Trice is a very tall and big corner. Not a bad pick but I would have opted for QB Bagent who absolutely set division II on fire throwing for 4,500+ yards at 70% completion and 41 td's last year. Such a man deserves a look.

Round seven B
Steelers select G Anderson
Who I would have taken LB Thomas
Grade for need C
Grade for value C

The fascination with Maryland players continues. I would have selected LB Drake Thomas who was a team captain and all over the field. He made 101 tackles, 19 for loss with 7.5 sacks, also breaking up four passes in 13 start last year. Yes he is short, but fine for special teams, and offers leadership, smars, toughness.

Overall I am very pleased with this draft and for a chage my picks are very simlar to the Steelers.
CAW! CAW! CAW!

I can play this game a thousand times better. My post ‘74 draft “who would I have taken” selections ended up being with four HOF’s.

The players you mentioned who were not taken are listed here for all to see, and we will watch them as well.

Dude, The QB I liked was off the board in round four an we picked up a good punter in Branded Mann in free agency pre draft. Pay attention! I took no's one report.

My review was mostly positive besides a TE who has been injured and not very productive in college. I felt we could have done better in round three. Now can you list who you would have taken, or do your lack the stones and acumen to say so after all these years? It is one or the other because board knows you love to comment on my posts and I have asked you this question before.

For the fifteen time I watch college football!

There are no BUSTS this year in round 1-3 as I called the before they played down 1. Remember Burns, that CB who never played for us, and Bush? And Davis and K. Green? As they say it is can be found in the archives of this forum and they are time stamped.
TE has been injured? Not productive? Washington was an inline TE for the Bulldogs, a blocking TE, you freaking moron. He was occasionally used as a pass catcher, and he played in 23 games the last two years. 15 last yea….when was he injured?

You remember Burns but can’t remember Senquez Golson a second round pick? Never missed a game until he became a pro with a LisFranc injury. A death kneel for skill position players.

Yep, your claim to fame punter prediction, YOUR ONLY prediction, is there in the archives, as well as all the BS predictions “look at me“ comments…..including the the Polamalu will be a bust becaise his head is too big dandy.
Good questions.

1. Broderick I think will be a good starting LT. He was a B+ value because we had to trade a 4th round pick to get him. But I think he is worth it.

2. I believe we will see more 2 TE sets when we score a lot of points..whenver that happens. This TE is a project. There were better players on the board, and Battle was a guy I liked on film. And the need was there.

3 .Trice is a corner who can play safety and Anderson is a guard who can play C. That worked out well for us recently ( Kendrick Greene ) in round three didn't it? I felt there were better players on the board in round seven. This was a deep draft. I picked a QB and LB instead, both were ultra productive players!
A consensus top 15 tackle who could be a cornerstone on the line for a decade….all for a 4th rounder (which we ended up getting another)?

Dumbass, Washington is a move TE now…his primary role, if he becomes a prolific catcher in the red zone…that’s a bonus. He’s not a project.

Ever hear of Carnell Lake? Dirt Dawson, Jeff Hartings, even you should know Mike Webster. All were drafted from other positions, including all three OL were guards coming out of college then switching to C.

More diarrhea of the mouth from you…..and yes the QB and LB we will be on the watch for. Much more impactful positions than punter.
I'm actually going to give Coach a pass on this one.
We get on him when he spouts opinions off without giving any indication of what led him to form those opinions. In this post, he states what he would have done and why. Can't get on him for doing what we've told him he needs to do for years.
Like Litos, I disagree with some of his grades for value. But, overall, I've seen other opinion posts that were worse work than what he's done here.
No Buckeye, he hasn’t done what everyone else does, opine their pick BEFORE the draft, and THEN commenting. Diagraming why he is choosing BEFOREHAND means some independent research or thought went into it. Coach doesn’t do that. His intent is narcissistic and attention seeking. On top of that he is critical of others who call him out on it….even when he admits he doesn’t WATCH GAMES.

I thinj that should be a stand alone post why merge?
Because that’s what Coach wants. He‘s probably never paid for a yearly subscription on Justin’s site but wants all the attention he can get starting multiple threads by freeloading. Probably because he has to afford his luxurious sedan, which is still second rate to Drink’s S10.

Round three

Grade for need C

Everything you say about Darnell Washington is not true. I moved to North Georgia a little less than two years ago so we get EVERY Georgia game. I noticed Washington when he was destroying an Oregon DE. I thought to self, "Self, wow that OT can block but he is so lean. Going to pay more attention to him."

Three plays later, he catches a contested pass and turns it into a 30-yard gain. Say to self, "Self, that guy is a TE. Ho-lee ****, dude is amazing."

Now this pick did not make much sense to me. We don't need a TE.

Really? Didn't Freiermuth miss time due to concussions? Don't the Steelers need a legit plan B at TE if Muth is dinged again? Don't teams try to draft BPA and avoid drafting for need, i.e., "Troy Edwards Scenario"? Don't the Steelers play 12 offense 35% of the time?

Yes, yes, yes and yes. You are just wrong here dude. If Muth is out with another concussion, do you seriously believe the team is okay with Gentry as the starting TE?

Now do the same with Darnell Washington.

This player wasn't productive in college.

This line makes me want to scream. Do you know why he caught "only" 28 balls (but averaged more than 16 YPC)? Because Georgia has the best TE in college in Brock Bowers, who will be a top-10 pick next year. Bowers runs a full route tree, is durable, has amazing hands and demands the ball. If Washington was on Ohio State or Alabama, he catches 50 passes.

But did Washington ***** and whine? No, he simply destroyed DE's and LBers, and caught balls for an average or 16.4 YPC. Maybe you're not aware but that's a lot for a TE.

And he was a medical red flag.

No, he had "knee swelling." He never missed a game due to injury. Teams that passed on him due to medical concerns are going to need a doctor to look after the LBers Washington buries.

He is a tall TE, a big target, and has decent speed.

He is 6'7", 264 lbs. and ran a 4.64. His 10-yard split was 1.57.

Christian Gonzalez' 10-yard split? 1.54.

Washington doesn't have "decent" speed. He has amazing speed for a guy that big.

Okay but there were better and more productive players on the board and our depth at TE is fine. I would have taken Battle. A player who offers some coverage ( with size ) and play the run well and is smart.

We are sure as hell going to see how this pans out. I can hardly wait to see Jordan Battle try to cover Darnell Washington.

Oh, and Battle's 10-yard split? 1.56. Huh. Guess he has "okay" speed? Good thing Washington only outweighs him by 60 lbs. :ROFLMAO:

Regarding Washington, I know reports of medical concerns came out, but I do wonder if he dropped because he's primarily a blocking tight end and is pretty raw as a receiver. A lot of the guy ahead of him are primarily receiving threats and that is what most teams prefer. Either way, he was the type of tight end the Steelers needed and they got him in the perfect spot in the draft.
I know some think he should put on 50lbs and move to tackle. Financially, that might be a good decision for him. I like him as a TE, as in Tackle Eligible. I think he could create a lot of problems for defensive coordinators.

I get the argument for Jordan Battle over Darnell Washington. Battle is a solid prospect from a big-time school and the starting safety alongside Minkah is arguably the weakest starter on the roster right now. The reason I liked the Steelers going offense is they stunk last year. They want to be a power run team and Washington's ability as a blocker will only help in this area. The offense averaged just 18 PPG last year and they need to be much better in 2023. A healthy defense is still pretty good, certainly good enough to make the playoffs.

Herbig's lack of size is a concern, but I think long-term they'll transition him inside and see what he can do with the read and react and how he transitions dropping into coverage. They'll still have the ability to use him on the outside on passing downs. Again, I could see the positional upside of Kelly (and he has bloodlines). Scheme wise, I don't know if he fits with what the Steelers want to do moving forward.

The seventh-round guys are a toss up. That deep in the draft you just hope a prospect has a chance at making the final roster.

He is 6'7", 264 lbs. and ran a 4.64. His 10-yard split was 1.57.

Christian Gonzalez' 10-yard split? 1.54.

Washington doesn't have "decent" speed. He has amazing speed for a guy that big.

We are sure as hell going to see how this pans out. I can hardly wait to see Jordan Battle try to cover Darnell Washington.

Oh, and Battle's 10-yard split? 1.56. Huh. Guess he has "okay" speed? Good thing Washington only outweighs him by 60 lbs. :ROFLMAO:
Washington has a good timed speed, but at times it looks like he's running in quick sand. That's probably more of a product of his stride and height, but I think he has a long way to go to refine his skills as a receiver, which is fine. He was brought in to help the ground game first and over time I think he'll be a solid TE2 receiver. Look at what the Steelers did with Gentry over the few years he was here. He wasn't very good at anything when he started, but they molded him over time and he's a competent TE2 now, likely to move down the depth chart because of what Washington brings.

CAW! CAW! CAW!

I can play this game a thousand times better. My post ‘74 draft “who would I have taken” selections ended up being with four HOF’s.

The players you mentioned who were not taken are listed here for all to see, and we will watch them as well.

TE has been injured? Not productive? Washington was an inline TE for the Bulldogs, a blocking TE, you freaking moron. He was occasionally used as a pass catcher, and he played in 23 games the last two years. 15 last yea….when was he injured?

You remember Burns but can’t remember Senquez Golson a second round pick? Never missed a game until he became a pro with a LisFranc injury. A death kneel for skill position players.

Yep, your claim to fame punter prediction, YOUR ONLY prediction, is there in the archives, as well as all the BS predictions “look at me“ comments…..including the the Polamalu will be a bust becaise his head is too big dandy.

A consensus top 15 tackle who could be a cornerstone on the line for a decade….all for a 4th rounder (which we ended up getting another)?

Dumbass, Washington is a move TE now…his primary role, if he becomes a prolific catcher in the red zone…that’s a bonus. He’s not a project.

Ever hear of Carnell Lake? Dirt Dawson, Jeff Hartings, even you should know Mike Webster. All were drafted from other positions, including all three OL were guards coming out of college then switching to C.

More diarrhea of the mouth from you…..and yes the QB and LB we will be on the watch for. Much more impactful positions than punter.

No Buckeye, he hasn’t done what everyone else does, opine their pick BEFORE the draft, and THEN commenting. Diagraming why he is choosing BEFOREHAND means some independent research or thought went into it. Coach doesn’t do that. His intent is narcissistic and attention seeking. On top of that he is critical of others who call him out on it….even when he admits he doesn’t WATCH GAMES.

YAWN... Tomlin does not have a lap top of computer screen in the war room nor did he last year. Only you " think " I don't watch college football. I have posted mocks before and every year state who I would have selected right after the draft ends. You don't do this. But I invite you to do so. You sir are lame. Maybe you have a small um, head to house your brain.

Gee, I would not have guessed juding by the view and replies. Not that I count them or post them for you. Did I miss the 5 annual Houston Cougars thread?

I provided plenty of my likes prior to the draft. No need to beat my chest after the fact.

You barely watch college football if at all. The time you tried to break down tape your agenda roadblocked your viewpoint.

Again you are the worst self proclaimed draftnik in the history of. What makes your opinions the worst is after people point out where your thinking is flawed you still trot out the same bullshit over and over and over again.

You are more concerned with your ****** opinions than seeing why the Steelers drafted said player.
You sound like a stalker. Or jilted ex-lover or something. At least make Coach pay some rent if he is going to be in your head 24/7.

As for Coach, yeah I mostly agree. I thought the Steelers had a very good draft this year and I haven’t thought that in a while tbh. I’m actually a big Cory Trice fan though if he can stay healthy, which is very questionable. But for a 7th round pick I’m absolutely picking him. Overall I give the draft an A- Well done to the FO.

I think that should be a stand alone post why merge?
Because he is an attention *****. Besides he should like it, you can find all his drivel in one thread. I don't get some of yinz affection for this mouth foaming breather. He steals **** from other sites and then comes up with head scratching breakdowns of what he read and turns it into his "opinion". In the process knocks the front office and disses the players. Often making up **** in the process.

If you want to watch a clown go to a circus.

Gee, I would not have guessed juding by the view and replies.

If I post something that results in 100 people telling me I am absolutely, 100% wrong, that is not something I would deem favorable, despite the number of "views and replies."

Not that I count them ...

supernatural-confused.gif

You sound like a stalker. Or jilted ex-lover or something. At least make Coach pay some rent if he is going to be in your head 24/7.

As for Coach, yeah I mostly agree. I thought the Steelers had a very good draft this year and I haven’t thought that in a while tbh. I’m actually a big Cory Trice fan though if he can stay healthy, which is very questionable. But for a 7th round pick I’m absolutely picking him. Overall I give the draft an A- Well done to the FO.
Ok troll when I care about your opinion on what I think of cooch I will let you know. He doesn't need to be in my head noob I see his dumb *** **** over and over on this site. Far as I know you are one of his accounts, wouldn't shock me.