• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial thoughts after the game

we got gashed to often vs the run because of the 2-4-5 we had
DT Adams
DT Larry O
DE Watt
OLB Highsmith
MLB Holcomb
MLB Kwon
Box Minkak from high to low
S Kazee
CB Porter
CB Pat
CB Levi

We need more beef rather than see 4-2-5
DE watt
DT Benton
DT Larry O
DE Leal/Adams
MLB Kwon
LB Highsmith
CB Porter jr
CB Pat
CB Wallace
SS Kazee
S rover Minkah help double or freelance than have to help run

That is funny to me because I did the same thing when I caught my first td pass when I was in the 9th grade in the early 1980s...spun the football. Got the penalty. When I was small and my grandfather would swear at the ballgames on tv and we would ask him why, he would always say..."They say it on tv!" So when my coach is chewing me out for the penalty he asked me why I spun the ball. I said cause they do it on tv.

I ran my *** off the next practice.
Didn't realize people were spinning the ball way back in the 1980s. You were ahead of your time.

Yep. I know the play you are talking about. Washington is too big to be covered by a safety, and too fast to be covered by a linebacker.

You know that old joke about how Dean Smith was the only one who could keep Jordan under 20 points per game? The only ones who can prevent him from getting receptions are Matt Canada and Kenny Pickett.

Well Coach Smith had the Four Corner offense and no shot clock to burn time when the Heels had the lead. It was ran to perfection by Phil Ford in the mid 70’s and Jimmy Black in the early 80’s with Mike. That was a stacked team in Mike’s freshman year.

If they= are really concerned about taunting, they should throw a flag every time a guy makes a first down and does the signal for it. Afterall, isn't that a form of taunting...taunting the entire defense cause you made a first? To me it should be all or nothing.

A penalty call I think they should revisit is the call on Pickens for the block early in the game. It is still football, isn't it? He made contact with his shoulder and really didn't drive through. In no way, shape or form could that be confused with a Hines Ward block. There has to be a middle ground there.
That’s a plausible fix for taunting, but will the competition committee even move on it, much less any team introducing it (to the ire of the players on that team).

Pickett’s block was illegal as it was a blindside “check” block. Had Pickens just posted up in front of him to slow him down, it would have been same result no penalty. They will call that every time, because of Hines block on Rivers. “Players safety”….yet some clubs still play on turf. Go figure…

Last edited:
Didn't realize people were spinning the ball way back in the 1980s. You were ahead of your time.
Swann would spike it every once and a while. Stallworth not so much. Billy White Shoes Johnson would do a dance. John Jefferson would spike the ball and spin it among other things. It is a little bit of a myth that all the guys in the '70s just handed the ball to the refs after scoring.