• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial thoughts after the game

Sit George??? Sit DJ??? Are you trying to lose games???
You saw what we won with AB and Bell right? Zip. Natha. Nil. Imagine if we had reigned them in from day one. Maybe a stern lecture by Tomlin is all it takes to straighten out Pickens. I sure hope so, but if it becomes a common thing by him or anyone else then you take action by sitting them for the first drive. Perhaps quarter. Nip it in the butt early. One would think Tomlin should have learned from prior players to take control of the issue now before it is too late. Just my opinion.

Well, only having two down linemen coupled with two edges that are rushing the QB pretty much every play is not a recipe for good run defense. If they would go to a base 4-3 or even 3-4 they would have far more success stopping the run.
Put the 3-4 out there, like Coach LeBeau and you get killed w/ 5 wide all day and die but 1000 cuts...

You saw what we won with AB and Bell right? Zip. Natha. Nil. Imagine if we had reigned them in from day one. Maybe a stern lecture by Tomlin is all it takes to straighten out Pickens. I sure hope so, but if it becomes a common thing by him or anyone else then you take action by sitting them for the first drive. Perhaps quarter. Nip it in the butt early. One would think Tomlin should have learned from prior players to take control of the issue now before it is too late. Just my opinion.
There is sooooo much that you're missing when complaining "why" we didn't win w/ AB and Bell. Shazier - career cut short. AB - too many hits to the dome. Wasted rookie draft picks. We lost Coach Munchak to the Titans. The list can go on and on and on...

Sit George??? Sit DJ??? Are you trying to lose games???
Yeah, that won't work if we wanna win. They do need to behave themselves though if they don't want 15 yd penalties after a big gain. I don't know what the answer is....these are very young, suddenly-rich millionaires. At that age, they're gonna act like that.

Meanwhile, my wife goes to Kroger with coupons for the weekly haul. Not that we have to, but because that's what middle class people do to save a buck for a vacation next summer.

The TD runs by Warren and even more so Harris showed good scheme. I'm thinking the Harris TD was an audible and it completely caught the defense by surprise.

Could be. Kenny ran from shotgun to under center and had the snap with about 0.5 seconds on the play clock, run left, very big hole and Harris has an easy TD.

There is sooooo much that you're missing when complaining "why" we didn't win w/ AB and Bell. Shazier - career cut short. AB - too many hits to the dome. Wasted rookie draft picks. We lost Coach Munchak to the Titans. The list can go on and on and on...
LOL...Yeah. OK. You mean like stuff that happens to every other team in the league? Injuries....losing coaches injuries? That stuff stopped us? Not the me-first culture that was created by the players we had? No....couldn't be. Nope. Not that. It was the other stuff you said. Had to be.

I was thinking...if you want to cut down the taunting, reduce the time clock between plays to 30 seconds and raise the delay of game penalty to 10 yards. That way they just don't have time to play dick, dick games between snaps and the penalty is more severe. To me this is better than selectively enforcing taunting.

I remain kinda frustrated about the Moore vs Jones discussion. Moore was a 5th (hey folks, 5TH round pick) who has played left since his rookie year. Who else does that regularly from the 5th? No one. The issue is NOT Jones vs Moore. Jones should be starting, PERIOD. The person losing their spot should not be Moore, it should be Chucks. Moore to right, Jones at left, Chucks being an overpaid being warming person. Tell me why this is wrong.
You are not wrong...except for your emphatic assurance that Dan Moore was drafted in the fifth round.

I just read Chris Boswell had a 69 PFF grade against the Rams. Perfect on extra points and nailing a 53-yard field goal only gets a 69 grade for a kicker? Were the kicks not straight down the middle enough or something?

I agree. I think trying him at G is the way to go. He has a big cap hit going into the final year of his contract. I'd seriously be looking at other options with him or cutting him unless someone is willing to trade for him.
He sure will have a market, don't know how much but probably a 5th or hopefully a 4th

You're right because the coaches aren't allowed to be on the field to hold DJ/Pickens' hands to make sure they don't do stupid **** at the absolute worst time possible.
If you go back and watch the replay, Tomlin was actually on the field -- literally holding DJ's hand a second before that penalty took place.

Could be. Kenny ran from shotgun to under center and had the snap with about 0.5 seconds on the play clock, run left, very big hole and Harris has an easy TD.

And everyone was set to the right to power their way in. That was my favorite play of the game.

If you go back and watch the replay, Tomlin was actually on the field -- literally holding DJ's hand a second before that penalty took place.

I am conflicted on this rule. In this instance I knew it was two former teammates having a bit of fun. I didn’t think it deserved it.
Yeah, watching it again, it looks a lot more like good-natured ribbing than it does taunting, from two guys who used to go at each other all the time in practice. But the ref doesn't know that.

Probably the reason they are not starting young Broderick at this time is because a 17 game schedule (plus any playoff games) is almost twice as long as a college season and that tends to take a toll physically and psychologically.
Georgia played in 15 games in 2021 and 2022, my man. The NFL doesn't have a 30-game schedule, last time I checked.

If they= are really concerned about taunting, they should throw a flag every time a guy makes a first down and does the signal for it. Afterall, isn't that a form of taunting...taunting the entire defense cause you made a first? To me it should be all or nothing.

A penalty call I think they should revisit is the call on Pickens for the block early in the game. It is still football, isn't it? He made contact with his shoulder and really didn't drive through. In no way, shape or form could that be confused with a Hines Ward block. There has to be a middle ground there.
They called my son for taunting in a high school game on Friday -- for spinning the ball after a touchdown. Talked to the ref at halftime, and he said there was a memo that circulated the week before, emphasizing taunting penalties. He told me that kids can't even spike the ball anymore after a touchdown. The No Fun League has trickled down to the roots of the sport, and that sucks.

You are not wrong...except for your emphatic assurance that Dan Moore was drafted in the fifth round.

Great post, thanks for the chuckle.!!!!

Salute the nation

They called my son for taunting in a high school game on Friday -- for spinning the ball after a touchdown. Talked to the ref at halftime, and he said there was a memo that circulated the week before, emphasizing taunting penalties. He told me that kids can't even spike the ball anymore after a touchdown. The No Fun League has trickled down to the roots of the sport, and that sucks.
That is funny to me because I did the same thing when I caught my first td pass when I was in the 9th grade in the early 1980s...spun the football. Got the penalty. When I was small and my grandfather would swear at the ballgames on tv and we would ask him why, he would always say..."They say it on tv!" So when my coach is chewing me out for the penalty he asked me why I spun the ball. I said cause they do it on tv.

I ran my *** off the next practice.

the Jones thing makes no sense to me either. I said in another post I was listening to Matt Williamson last week. He gave stats to support that offenses are down around the NFL, not just in Pittsburgh. One of his theories is that there are not that many good Olines. The real athletic guys that big are playing defense, not OL. Well, here the Steelers go and draft a guy who may be an exception to that...a plus athlete that plays OL. And he sits behind a guy that is not that kind of an athlete. And I like Dan Moore. I think he is a tough kid who has hung in there. But Jones should be the guy.

I just read Chris Boswell had a 69 PFF grade against the Rams. Perfect on extra points and nailing a 53-yard field goal only gets a 69 grade for a kicker? Were the kicks not straight down the middle enough or something?
Maybe it was the short kickoff

That's a nickle defense. 3-4 is a base defense that stops/slows down running teams. Problem is your LBs have to ELITE to play it against 3 or more WR sets...
Yeah you will always have a mismatch with a safety or LB against a WR. I think last year we played more nickel than 3-4. Not sure what the stats are this year. We should never play 3-4 with 4+WRs except maybe on goaline

That's a nickle defense. 3-4 is a base defense that stops/slows down running teams. Problem is your LBs have to ELITE to play it against 3 or more WR sets...
2-4 is a Nickel defense too. I'm offering a Nickel option with 3 big uglies up front