• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial thoughts after the game

Canaduh needs to figure out how to use his RB's. Najee runs hard and is looking for contact. Warren has that one-cut burst. I think they should go back to a basic power-blocking scheme as they did either last year or the year before and it worked. The run game was much better. Najee is trying to get everyone fired up with his power runs and trash talk. Like GP, he needs to watch so he doesn't get that 15-yard flag. I thought he was going to get one a couple of times yesterday. Find a way to get a dozen or so runs and passes to these 2 in the first half. With a power-blocking scheme, I think they can gain enough yards and loosen up the D especially for later in the games.

I am still shocked they refuse to look at Washington in the receiving game. I saw him open on an early play and they had KP looking elsewhere and it went incomplete.

I was glossing over Kenny's completion percentage and noticed he had his best of the season. DJ being back helped. Perhaps that week off to look at things helped him as well.

From a team perspective they should really glue into that second half and see what things helped them play better. I have said all along this team has talent just wasn't putting the players in the best position to succeed. I still believe that is ongoing. On both sides of the ball.

What that W does other than really enjoying it (still am) is show that this team is capable of more. They have to be willing to mix up their coaching philosophy/schematics. Still need to get their rookies involved more.

I REALLY hate our run defense. Every Joe Blow off the practice squad runs on them.
Well, only having two down linemen coupled with two edges that are rushing the QB pretty much every play is not a recipe for good run defense. If they would go to a base 4-3 or even 3-4 they would have far more success stopping the run.

I’m a bit confused as to why we have no offense until late in games when we’re down or being threatened. It sure would be nice if that offense appeared in the first quarter sometimes.
I think a decent amount is living in their fears conservative game planning/ play calling.

I also think Canada has no feel for the game, and then when the fourth quarter comes they are in despiration mode where opening things up either works or doesn't.

I’m a bit confused as to why we have no offense until late in games when we’re down or being threatened. It sure would be nice if that offense appeared in the first quarter sometimes.
Tomlin, likes "Marty Ball" the same way Cowher did until he got Ben. That's probably part of the reason that Canada has been given every chance to succeed. Tomlin likes his very basic approach to offense (No matter that today's NFL requires more).

I would have sworn Pickens was celebrating a catch today before the play was even over. I was almost hoping the Rams would take the ball from him just to teach him a lesson, but expecting him to learn from something like that might be too much to expect.
I saw this too. He stuck out the ball with his right hand to celebrate before the play was over.

DK on Sports said that Chuks was killing people yesterday, I think that it is an interior line upgrade that needs to be made. Maybe you kick one of the three OT's to guard and start Daniels at center.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Mason Cole was getting pushed back into Pickett on several instances. I think Chuks might do alright at guard but a tackle he is not.

During the week last week I listened to Matt Williamson talk about the fact that offenses as a whole are down around the NFL. One of his theories is that there aren't many good offensive lines. Offensive lines lack top athletes. The best athletes at that size are going to defensive line. Which is why I don't understand the Steelers continuing to start Dan Moore...and I like and admire the kid for his toughness. But he isn't the athlete that Broderick Jones is. I'm just not getting the coaching staff on that one, among a lot of other things.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Mason Cole was getting pushed back into Pickett on several instances. I think Chuks might do alright at guard but a tackle he is not.
Interesting take. Chuks at Guard would be one of the more athletic BIG Guards in the league

The no fun league needs to relax the taunting rules

Maybe scale back to no celebration “over a fallen player”

signing “sssh”, while stupid as AF under the current rules, is pretty weak for grown men to draw a flag
I am conflicted on this rule. In this instance I knew it was two former teammates having a bit of fun. I didn’t think it deserved it.

But in the long run,I get it. Like it or not it’s a sportsmanship rule. Millions of kids watch the game,and play the game.
They’re trying to set an example. I can just imagine what some of these clowns would do without the rule.

I mean,maybe I’m a bit old school..... I hate the constant celebrations,no matter what. Make a hit after the guy gets 15 yards on you...celebrate. Score a td when you are down 30 and have played like **** all game....celebrate. The whole team running into the end zone after a turnover or td,lying down for a fake picture drives me nuts.
Flip the ball to the ref and go get congratulated on the sidelines with your teammates.
Remember Mike Mitchell screaming his head off every time he touched somebody? Drove me nuts.
It’s an intense,emotional hard hitting game. Nothing wrong with enthusiasm.
But for so many it’s Me,me,me. Look at me! What a world we live in.

During the week last week I listened to Matt Williamson talk about the fact that offenses as a whole are down around the NFL. One of his theories is that there aren't many good offensive lines. Offensive lines lack top athletes. The best athletes at that size are going to defensive line. Which is why I don't understand the Steelers continuing to start Dan Moore...and I like and admire the kid for his toughness. But he isn't the athlete that Broderick Jones is. I'm just not getting the coaching staff on that one, among a lot of other things.
I am telling you within the next few seasons a couple high profie QBs are going to get hurt badly and the NFL is going to openly allow offensive holding… they pretty much ignore everything but the most egregious stuff now anyway … sacks are up too high..

I'm still confused about the DJ taunting sequence. I thought dead ball fouls were enforced after the result of the play, so how did it offset the PI? Shouldn't it have been 1st and 10, 15 yards from the PI spot?

Yes.

I am still shocked they refuse to look at Washington in the receiving game. I saw him open on an early play and they had KP looking elsewhere and it went incomplete.

Yep. I know the play you are talking about. Washington is too big to be covered by a safety, and too fast to be covered by a linebacker.

You know that old joke about how Dean Smith was the only one who could keep Jordan under 20 points per game? The only ones who can prevent him from getting receptions are Matt Canada and Kenny Pickett.

Sorry to break it to everyone (again)....but Washington is obviously not a good route runner or receiving tight end option.

Great blocking tight end that we spent too high of a draft pick on.....not to mention his knee concerns.
Friermuth is also a huge disappointment and I wouldn't extend him a second contract offer.
Heyward is a gamer...but very limited due to his lack of size/strength liminations playing that position.

Personally, I would love to see Rodney Williams get more PT at tight end moving forward, especially with Muth out.

Probably the reason they are not starting young Broderick at this time is because a 17 game schedule (plus any playoff games) is almost twice as long as a college season and that tends to take a toll physically and psychologically. That plus the cohesion of the unit. You can get by for the first few games of the year using Moore who whilst not elite is more than serviceable. 6 games of the season have gone byhand Jones has seen some action to date. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the starter at LT after week 8.

Interesting take. Chuks at Guard would be one of the more athletic BIG Guards in the league
I agree. I think trying him at G is the way to go. He has a big cap hit going into the final year of his contract. I'd seriously be looking at other options with him or cutting him unless someone is willing to trade for him.

Sorry to break it to everyone (again)....but Washington is obviously not a good route runner or receiving tight end option.

Great blocking tight end that we spent too high of a draft pick on.....not to mention his knee concerns.
Friermuth is also a huge disappointment and I wouldn't extend him a second contract offer.
Heyward is a gamer...but very limited due to his lack of size/strength liminations playing that position.

Personally, I would love to see Rodney Williams get more PT at tight end moving forward, especially with Muth out.
Maybe not the greatest route runner as a rookie but we knew that when he was drafted. He's our best blocking TE and catches anything near him. He caught a bunch of TD's in camp but they haven't tried him since. He had a short catch which he turned into a first down in the last game. He was open on the way play I specifically watched him leave the line but KP was looking elsewhere. He was right in the middle of the field. They aren't even considering throwing to him which is crazy. You won't catch him streaking down the middle of the field but to pick up a first down or a try in the redzone, yes, sir. He'd be tough to bring down and is a huge target.

I think a decent amount is living in their fears conservative game planning/ play calling.

I also think Canada has no feel for the game, and then when the fourth quarter comes they are in despiration mode where opening things up either works or doesn't.
Well put. Maybe my memory is failing, but it seems like this has been going on for a while. A long while - even with Ben. As @oneforthebus indicated, I'd like to get a decent lead if possible and keep it with the D at that point instead of O desperation mode playing catch up late in the game. How about maybe O desperation mode in the 2nd quarter if the 1st didn't go so well? I dunno, just my .02c

Tomlin, likes "Marty Ball" the same way Cowher did until he got Ben. That's probably part of the reason that Canada has been given every chance to succeed. Tomlin likes his very basic approach to offense (No matter that today's NFL requires more).

More reason to find coaching / HC who is in-tune to the modern day NFL. 15 ppg. isn’t going to cut it, it takes a well balanced offense to get wins deep into the playoffs. This proud / historic Franchise should expect more than non-losing seasons. We have the talent.

Salute the nation

Depends. Are we blaming coaching for the Pickens/DJ bullshit? Or was that just players being stupid at the absolute worst time possible?
I think we need to blame what it is…immaturity (on Pickens). He will learn from the vets. As for DJ’s call, well first he acknowledged he shouldn’t have done it, but he and Akhello are tight and had no issues with what he did. The flag was ticky tack as ****, and I’ve players bump and shove each other without flags thrown. There is a NY columnist (Times?) who is saying be prepared for the playoffs because the officials WILL impact game results. Presumably KC/PHI rematch.

More reason to find coaching / HC who is in-tune to the modern day NFL. 15 ppg. isn’t going to cut it, it takes a well balanced offense to get wins deep into the playoffs. This proud / historic Franchise should expect more than non-losing seasons. We have the talent.

Salute the nation

It's hard to play a ball control offense when you can't run the ball..lol. It's the scheme. The need a top tier OL coach and an OC.

What they're doing now is no man's land. That short passing game has run its course and the running scheme is for the most part terrible and has been for damn near 5 years.

You don't have to be like every other pass happy team in the league, but like you said it's balance.

When it gets cold and the weather turns to **** a good running game is your best friend.

The TD runs by Warren and even more so Harris showed good scheme. I'm thinking the Harris TD was an audible and it completely caught the defense by surprise.

Normally the Steelers are as predictable as the sun rising. Which is their biggest damn problem.

I think we need to blame what it is…immaturity (on Pickens). He will learn from the vets. As for DJ’s call, well first he acknowledged he shouldn’t have done it, but he and Akhello are tight and had no issues with what he did. The flag was ticky tack as ****, and I’ve players bump and shove each other without flags thrown. There is a NY columnist (Times?) who is saying be prepared for the playoffs because the officials WILL impact game results. Presumably KC/PHI rematch.
If they= are really concerned about taunting, they should throw a flag every time a guy makes a first down and does the signal for it. Afterall, isn't that a form of taunting...taunting the entire defense cause you made a first? To me it should be all or nothing.

A penalty call I think they should revisit is the call on Pickens for the block early in the game. It is still football, isn't it? He made contact with his shoulder and really didn't drive through. In no way, shape or form could that be confused with a Hines Ward block. There has to be a middle ground there.