• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial Thoughts on bungles game

I'm just glad Warren wasn't afraid of getting hurt and decided to block on the Austin run.

IMO, Rudy looked good BUT it was the Bungles. Being a 3rd string guy, he played with Big Ben balls and didn't have to play conservative (why would he?).

Granted, this is the same Bungles team that gave KP his best game of the year. KP went with what he likes, (over the middle easy reads) and MR went with what he likes, (one-on-one deep strikes...the kid throws catchable rainbows historically). Didn't nail every one but he just didn't play within the HCMT edict. HCMT covered it by saying "he plays aggressive and has a belief in himself", meaning "he doesn't listen to me and does his own thing", IMO.

Rudy definitely did not get a fair opportunity to show what he is capable of BUT I don't think he can keep this up. The Seachickens also suck on D and they can make an average QB look good BUT our simpleton offense has no ingenuity to help QBs. Basic concepts are done for two reasons...QBs who aren't smart enough or Wrs who aren't smart enough to run sophisticated ones. BB was smart, "foottball smart" but right now I wonder IF one or the other can't handle the nuances of a real NFL offense.

Rudy was in a "first read" offense in college so it makes sense that he could outperform w this ***** against a bad defense. Our scheme is a disaster and NO QB will look good against a season of decent NFL defenses. It is what it is, the Seachickens aren't good right now BUT the " former Cleveland Brownies" are better than decent and will make "hay" with us running mirrored routes "outside" and simple, predictable concepts in both the running game and passing game. We simply need a better scheme, NOT a better QB to have an average NFL offense.

I want Hines freaking Ward (who is now available) to coach the Wrs. I want Mike Munch or Stoutland to coach or OL. It starts there. Our OL has regressed (including our 1st round OT, Jones, who has regressed the last 3 weeks) because we have a super-crappy OL coach and philosophy. Then, lets get some coaches who have had some modicum of experience working w a real NFL offense. Give me Munch, Hines and Greg Roman and we could ride high w a running offense. We have the personnel right now, IMO. We could upgrade at Center but we could be dominant w what we already have with the right scheme and coaching. Forget about HCMT, he's not going anywhere. Players want to play for him...use that. Get the right coaches and make him look like the genius he believes himself to be. I don't care.

We need to find out what we have but w this offensive offense, it won't tell us much. Its a Thursday, and I'm scotch drunk, but I feel we have the players...we just don't have the quality of coaches to get anything but the least out of them.