• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial thoughts on Preseason Game one

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
meh.....it is the preseason

Fields looked okay
Pickens got up the field quickly on the early completion
CAIII made some nice plays against the scrubs
defense needs to tackle better - how the hell did they let that midget score
Allen looks just like he did at UH before he lost his starting job. Loads of talent, nimble feet, never seemed to really zip the ball in there but had success going down field, then he would do what he did to CAIII....just flat miss him for an easy TD
Ward had some nice runs
Leal made a few plays
Wilson looked good at ILB but did miss a few tackles

The Texans are who I thought they were. A damn good team. Excellent roster and excellent coaching.
Steelers appear to be who I thought they were. A team with lots of question marks.
We shall see how the pre season plays out and how Russ does running the team.

Also at wr
Pickens is 1
Jefferson 2
Austin 3
Wilson, when healthy is 4
And I think Fitzpatrick is the ST coverage guy/5

Im not sure who wr 6is gonna be yet, or if they keep another... maybe Scottie Miller?
Miller looked decent. I would keep him as a 5 with this group, 6th if they brought in a WR.

Speaking of they are as I thought. Needed is:

A vet C
WR
inside corner

Edwards has promise
Frazier will start week 1
Allen throws the ball better than Mitch or KP
P. Wilson needs to slow down on some plays.(hard to do)
I liked Edward’s in limited snaps, give him a tougher matchup next week to be curious.

I thought Fautanu played well after his initial lesson from Hunter. I am hoping the Nate Herbig playing center is over. I thought Frazier looked great. Obvious week one starter. I also like McCormack at Guard. He'll be hard to keep out of the lineup.

I was so looking forward to watching Peyton Wilson. Will not use the word dissapointed. I'd say he had some inconsistency. He had a play on third in coverage Robinson cleaned it up. Gotta make that play. Was washed out at point if attack a couple plays.

-Fields was alright. With so many new pieces on offense, not quite sure why they played so little. I would've loved to get that unit an entire half of football.
-The second team OL was fun to watch with all the young guys, even with the struggles. I hope Frazier overtakes Herbig soon. McCormick did alright for a day 3 pick.
-I hate how the Steelers are managing Broderick Jones. They drafted him to play left tackle, so play him at left tackle. If Dan Moore can't cut it at right tackle, they should've found a veteran right tackle stopgap for Fautanu, plus I read Fautanu hurt his knee (hopefully minor).

-Defense played poor situational football, though it was the backups.
-Wilson at times looked like the best defender on the field, but also missed some plays.

Overall, it was just a sloppy game and it was tough to pick out anything overly impressive or anything truly awful other than the fumbled snaps and Kyle Allen missed TD to Calvin Austin.

On a side note, who was the reporter on the Texans sideline who interviewed DeMeco Ryans at halftime?

a) A sputtering offense,
b) a defense that plays well enough to keep the Steelers within striking distance,
c) God-awful special teams, and
d) stupid in-game decision-making from Tomlin (including a wasted non-challenge that could have resulted in a first down in field goal range, a couple of questionable punting/go-for-it moments, plus wearing sunglasses throughout the first quarter of a game which kicked off at 7pm).

So, essentially my initial thoughts were same old shlt.

a) A sputtering offense,
b) a defense that plays well enough to keep the Steelers within striking distance,
c) God-awful special teams, and
d) stupid in-game decision-making from Tomlin (including a wasted non-challenge that could have resulted in a first down in field goal range, a couple of questionable punting/go-for-it moments, plus wearing sunglasses throughout the first quarter of a game which kicked off at 7pm).

So, essentially my initial thoughts were same old shlt.
As long as Tomlin is at the helm, it will always be the same old shlt. Why fans can’t see or accept that?

-Fields was alright. With so many new pieces on offense, not quite sure why they played so little. I would've loved to get that unit an entire half of football.
-The second team OL was fun to watch with all the young guys, even with the struggles. I hope Frazier overtakes Herbig soon. McCormick did alright for a day 3 pick.
-I hate how the Steelers are managing Broderick Jones. They drafted him to play left tackle, so play him at left tackle. If Dan Moore can't cut it at right tackle, they should've found a veteran right tackle stopgap for Fautanu, plus I read Fautanu hurt his knee (hopefully minor).

-Defense played poor situational football, though it was the backups.
-Wilson at times looked like the best defender on the field, but also missed some plays.

Overall, it was just a sloppy game and it was tough to pick out anything overly impressive or anything truly awful other than the fumbled snaps and Kyle Allen missed TD to Calvin Austin.

On a side note, who was the reporter on the Texans sideline who interviewed DeMeco Ryans at halftime?
I think if Troy wasn’t banged up they play more Broderick at LT. It is starting to morph into that direction. Speaking of he has a brace on and one report that it appears minor. I just don’t get the pure passer vibe with Fields, I still prefer Wilson and not sure that changes.

Herbig should not be force fed C moving forward it should be the two rookies and look for someone else off the roster. Herbig hasn’t impressed there.

Houston had a game to knock the rust off so I expect a better performance Saturday night. I feel they better address C, WR, and inside corner sooner than later. I have carried those concerns for awhile and that was reinforced from what I witnessed.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to watch Frazier progress.
He better be ready to start in the opener. Herbig is not the answer at center. The bad snaps that led to fumbles are not a new thing for him.

He better be ready to start in the opener. Herbig is not the answer at center. The bad snaps that led to fumbles are not a new thing for him.
They should not put another moment into Herbig as a C. This team needs to stop babying vets and handcuffing rookies. Next game all the starters should get playing time. Get the rust off sooner than later. They need to look into free agency for a vet C, WR, and inside CB. With a sense of urgency. As I like some things they have done I think in some areas the offseason has been below the line.

At C until they find a vet I would be force feeding the two rookies the position. Troy should stay at RT when he is healthy, Broderick at left when Troy is healthy.

I am still seeing the same approach with this team they seem unwilling to make adjustments.

Instead of bubble wrapping preseason get these vets fine tuned and get these rookies coached up.

A long season a tough schedule they seriously should find that sense of urgency.

I think if Troy wasn’t banged up they play more Broderick at LT. It is starting to morph into that direction. Speaking of he has a brace on and one report that it appears minor. I just don’t get the pure passer vibe with Fields, I still prefer Wilson and not sure that changes.

Herbig should not be force fed C moving forward it should be the two rookies and look for someone else off the roster. Herbig hasn’t impressed there.

Houston had a game to knock the rust off so I expect a better performance Saturday night. I feel they better address C, WR, and inside corner sooner than later. I have carried those concerns for awhile and that was reinforced from what I witnessed.
Herbig has a bro on the team so he gets the first several chances to fail…you know the rules

The Texans are who I thought they were. A damn good team. Excellent roster and excellent coaching.
Steelers appear to be who I thought they were. A team with lots of question marks.
We shall see how the pre season plays out and how Russ does running the team.
Good assessment but... this was their 2nd preseason game with the majority of their starters on the field. Us--- not so much.

I liked what I saw overall since it was the first game.

Quez needs walking papers this morning.

Team looked like it was in mid-season Tomlin form.

How other teams can look prepared and ready to go and this team always looks like they had a wet dart in white shorts is so confusing.

But Tomlin uses spin words and word salad he should work for the Government.

Our OL Coach is pure warmed over garbage.

Jones (been mishandled from day one) should be LT, Zach at C, Troy at RT, from day one.

Many are saying this OL will be great by mid-season may want to rethink that statement, due to OL coaching.

If Muncheck was still here, This OL would truly be a force to recon with and get even better as the season progressed.,

Don’t get me started on the Bubbles ______________________________, enough said !!!!

Salute the nation

I won't pin the two fumbles entirely on Fields. I also don't think he gave any signs of being a different guy than he's been his whole career. Something just doesn't look right. It looks like the game is too fast for him once the ball is snapped. Doesn't look like he sees the field very well. Kyle Allen missed some throws but he looked more poised and confident running the offense. Not giving up on Fields but he didn't show us much. Wilson definitely didn't lose any sleep if he watched the same Fields as the rest of us.
Looked like a half lost Tomlin squad at times. Danny smith sucks. We may have upgraded at RB 3, too soon to say but Edwards did some nice work in limited action. Showed good vision against the scrubs anyway.