• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial thoughts on Preseason Game one

I won't pin the two fumbles entirely on Fields. I also don't think he gave any signs of being a different guy than he's been his whole career. Something just doesn't look right. It looks like the game is too fast for him once the ball is snapped. Doesn't look like he sees the field very well. Kyle Allen missed some throws but he looked more poised and confident running the offense. Not giving up on Fields but he didn't show us much. Wilson definitely didn't lose any sleep if he watched the same Fields as the rest of us.
Looked like a half lost Tomlin squad at times. Danny smith sucks. We may have upgraded at RB 3, too soon to say but Edwards did some nice work in limited action. Showed good vision against the scrubs anyway.
Fields just can't read NFL defenses and react to them quickly enough. He showed that for three years in Chicago and he is no different now. I'm fine with him as the backup, but any team with him as a starter is going to be extremely limited on offense.

I think the botched snaps were on Herbig. I assume that because he had the same problem when he played center earlier in his career. He is a good backup who could step in and be a solid starter at guard, but the Steelers are in big trouble if he is their center.

Team looked like it was in mid-season Tomlin form.

How other teams can look prepared and ready to go and this team always looks like they had a wet dart in white shorts is so confusing.

But Tomlin uses spin words and word salad he should work for the Government.
Tomlin for president “never a losing season”

Our OL Coach is pure warmed over garbage.

Jones (been mishandled from day one) should be LT, Zach at C, Troy at RT, from day one.

Many are saying this OL will be great by mid-season may want to rethink that statement, due to OL coaching.

If Muncheck was still here, This OL would truly be a force to recon with and get even better as the season progressed.,

Don’t get me started on the Bubbles ______________________________, enough said !!!!

Salute the nation
If Munch were here they wouldn’t require as much investment in the OL. Having to bring in finished products to even have a chance of being competent is a less than desirable situation the coaching has put them in. So they spend and then still find a way to mismanage/misuse players…it hurts to watch the repeated lunacy.

Really miss Munch and his ability to work magic with minimal investments

If Munch were here they wouldn’t require as much investment in the OL. Having to bring in finished products to even have a chance of being competent is a less than desirable situation the coaching has put them in. So they spend and then still find a way to mismanage/misuse players…it hurts to watch the repeated lunacy.

Really miss Munch and his ability to work magic with minimal investments
While I agree, and miss Munch as well, the truth is that his unit, while here, was scattered with first/second round picks, aside from Big Al.

And if Herbig doesn't start what is the point of him being with the starting unit for all the preparation. Further more with the new kickoff rules why not let Bos kickoff. Under no circumstances let him try to tackle. Just figure the **** out. See it's the simple stuff like that Shades will never get. Much like not even really looking at a review that should have been challenged. He has control of the ball and they run up for the next play. That drive was important for Fields and they just **** it away.

And if Herbig doesn't start what is the point of him being with the starting unit for all the preparation. Further more with the new kickoff rules why not let Bos kickoff. Under no circumstances let him try to tackle. Just figure the **** out. See it's the simple stuff like that Shades will never get. Much like not even really looking at a review that should have been challenged. He has control of the ball and they run up for the next play. That drive was important for Fields and they just **** it away.
Why was it important for Fields? He's a fourth-year pro and it is the first preseason game. He got all the work they wanted him to get. He was okay, not great.

Regarding what is going on at center, how dare Tomlin make Frazier earn the job!? What was he thinking?!

My guess is that Frazier will be getting more 1st team reps each week going forward. They saw Herbig’s liabilities yesterday in game situations, they might not come out and admit they were wrong, but they know they are.

My guess is that Frazier will be getting more 1st team reps each week going forward. They saw Herbig’s liabilities yesterday in game situations, they might not come out and admit they were wrong, but they know they are.
Has it been confirmed that the exchange issues were on Herbig?

The rookies on the OL is a bit of an issue. Do we really want Herbig playing center? If not, insert Frazier into the lineup. We both talked about screwing around with Jones playing multiple spots. Rather than treat him like a backup swing tackle, treat him like your future at LT and start him there. That puts a hole at RT, which Dan Moore has basically said he can't play. Next in line is Fautanu. Two rookies and a first-year starter at LT. Take your lumps with the young guys or keep the underachieving vets in the lineup. Either way it will take half a season to start to jell.
Tomlin absolutely hates starting rookies in game one. Last year I predicted Jones wouldn't start and although most disagreed with me it turned out correct. If Tomlin had his druthers he'd have our OL first game consist of Moore and Jones at the Tackles (I think Jones at RT and Moore at LT) and Herbig at C. I think Herbig is so substandard ( he couldn't even displace Cole last year) that he'll have no choice but to start Frazier. Last night only proved that.

Our Guards are locked in with Seumalu and Daniels barring injury.

Tomlin absolutely hates starting rookies in game one. Last year I predicted Jones wouldn't start and although most disagreed with me it turned out correct. If Tomlin had his druthers he'd have our OL first game consist of Moore and Jones at the Tackles (I think Jones at RT and Moore at LT) and Herbig at C. I think Herbig is so substandard ( he couldn't even displace Cole last year) that he'll have no choice but to start Frazier. Last night only proved that.

Our Guards are locked in with Seumalu and Daniels barring injury.
I doubt that is what he “wants”. Otherwise he wouldn’t be already giving Troy first team reps at RT and getting Jones LT work early. I think he wants the young in there IF they are ready.

I know this is only preseason but…

iMO If this team loses 3 of the first 5 or 6 games the fans are going to unload on Tomlin. Enough sweet talk.. we need to produce on the field or he needs to get gone.

Every year he gets excuses and it’s getting old doing the same failed things.

I know this is only preseason but…

iMO If this team loses 3 of the first 5 or 6 games the fans are going to unload on Tomlin. Enough sweet talk.. we need to produce on the field or he needs to get gone.

Every year he gets excuses and it’s getting old doing the same failed things.
Losing early with the schedule we have would be a death sentence

I doubt that is what he “wants”. Otherwise he wouldn’t be already giving Troy first team reps at RT and getting Jones LT work early. I think he wants the young in there IF they are ready.
That's what he wants eventually but wait and see what hits the field week one.

Why was it important for Fields? He's a fourth-year pro and it is the first preseason game. He got all the work they wanted him to get. He was okay, not great.

Regarding what is going on at center, how dare Tomlin make Frazier earn the job!? What was he thinking?!
Do you think he was out on a third drive for ***** and giggles. They wanted success. It looked like the team was moving. The receiver makes a great catch. It's clear on the replay he got both feet down. No challenge. How can they not at least get that issue fixed. They basically go tempo and they get blown off the ball and he is sacked when his back foot hits ground to throw. And then the ****** like usual doesn't even acknowledge his own stupidity when he his talking his JV bullshit. I am a JV coach and if I had the ball in that situation.........even if I have to take timeout because it wasn't a catch and I wanted the look. I do. I was literally in a hotel room with a tiny computer screen. I said his feet were in easy challenge. He has a giant high def jumbo tron and a professional in a booth with ultra high def replay. He will never get the feel for challenges and in game decision making. He just never will.

Last edited:
As long as Tomlin is at the helm, it will always be the same old shlt. Why fans can’t see or accept that?
Fans gonna fan, homie. Hope springs eternal.

I won't pin the two fumbles entirely on Fields. I also don't think he gave any signs of being a different guy than he's been his whole career. Something just doesn't look right. It looks like the game is too fast for him once the ball is snapped. Doesn't look like he sees the field very well. Kyle Allen missed some throws but he looked more poised and confident running the offense. Not giving up on Fields but he didn't show us much. Wilson definitely didn't lose any sleep if he watched the same Fields as the rest of us.
What exactly were you looking for from Fields? The muffed snaps obviously handicapped a couple of drives; they'll get that worked out. The two sacks were not the fault of the quarterback. Fields ended up 5-6 for 67 yards, and his one incompletion should have been challenged. That 20-yard out to Van Jefferson looked just fine to me. When he has time, he gets the ball accurately down the field.

If Kenny had put up those numbers last preseason, guys here would've been all over his dick. In his debut with the Eagles, fittingly, KP threw for 89 yards on 22 passes -- picking up right where he left off with the Steelers at a laughable 4 yards per attempt. Do you miss that shlt?

What exactly were you looking for from Fields? The muffed snaps obviously handicapped a couple of drives; they'll get that worked out. The two sacks were not the fault of the quarterback. Fields ended up 5-6 for 67 yards, and his one incompletion should have been challenged. That 20-yard out to Van Jefferson looked just fine to me. When he has time, he gets the ball accurately down the field.

If Kenny had put up those numbers last preseason, guys here would've been all over his dick. In his debut with the Eagles, fittingly, KP threw for 89 yards on 22 passes -- picking up right where he left off with the Steelers at a laughable 4 yards per attempt. Do you miss that shlt?
Kenny did put up better numbers last preseason and the first team O was perfect on TD drives. Wilson needs to get in the field though to get some chemistry going. We can not afford a slow start this year. I also think Fields should be seeing more playing time just to get as many reps as possible. z We have alot of new guys and need to tighten things up

I think I wanted to see some drives completed early. But some of that can be their first game compared to Houston’s second. Some of it is Herbig although some think the blame is two fold.

I would like to see Frazier get the start game 2.

Now here lies the predicament Wilson is now healthy. The season is near. I feel my Fields wants have to take a back seat to getting this team ready for a difficult season with more reps for Wilson and getting the O acclimated to a new OC in the process. You accomplish that with less players rotating and subsequently your starters getting those increased reps.

Has it been confirmed that the exchange issues were on Herbig?
Do you expect the team to come out and admit it? Of course, they won't, but Herbig had this same problem when he played center briefly for the Eagles. He is a guard. The Steelers had no business leaving themselves with Herbig as their only veteran at center.

Do you expect the team to come out and admit it? Of course, they won't, but Herbig had this same problem when he played center briefly for the Eagles. He is a guard. The Steelers had no business leaving themselves with Herbig as their only veteran at center.
Cole developed snapping issues last year as well... i still maintain they are asking the C to do to much in their latest blocking scheme...
Pat Meyer aint no Munch... and these guys are normal IOLs, not all pro C... they were absolutely asking Cole to do stuff Pouncey could barely do... probably the same with Herbig

We are down 2 rookies now. Roman is out for probably a couple more weeks which will kill his chances of seeing much action this year. Hopefully, they don't put him on IR but they could since he's seen little practice. And now, we lost Fautanu. I haven't heard how long but he has an MCL sprain. He also didn't play well.

Last edited:
While I agree, and miss Munch as well, the truth is that his unit, while here, was scattered with first/second round picks, aside from Big Al.

Regardless, his units were well coached and he got the players to elevate.

Our current OL coach———— not so much.

Salute the nationb