• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial thoughts on Preseason Game one

Tomlin absolutely hates starting rookies in game one. Last year I predicted Jones wouldn't start and although most disagreed with me it turned out correct. If Tomlin had his druthers he'd have our OL first game consist of Moore and Jones at the Tackles (I think Jones at RT and Moore at LT) and Herbig at C. I think Herbig is so substandard ( he couldn't even displace Cole last year) that he'll have no choice but to start Frazier. Last night only proved that.

Our Guards are locked in with Seumalu and Daniels barring injury.

It’s nice having McCormick knocking on the door, just in case. McCormick is coming into a perfect situation of being able to sit behind a couple very good pro’s.

Salute the nation

No, not after one preseason game. More like after the last 13 seasons since the last SB appearance.
It’s an organization that’s firmly entrenched in the middle and is stuck.
This organization with a franchise QB in Ben, receivers like AB and Bryant, RB like Bell, solid OL sprinkled with pro bowlers simply could never unleash hell under Tomlin.
One AFCCG with really good rosters and they got blown out to boot.
The owner thinks he has a top HC and thinks he keeps them in the thick of things. The problem is this guy IS the issue.
Look at last nights game as an example. Van Jefferson was clearly in bounds on the pass from Fields but Tomlin doesn’t challenge. He killed the momentum right there.
He simply cannot do that when the season starts playing the rough schedule that we have. Those mistakes cannot be tolerated any longer.
I just know what to expect and I’d like to be wrong but it starts with the HC.
I mentioned Tomlin’s typical failure to challenge a play in the game thread, but it’s doubtful the success of the season is going to be determined by instant replay challenges or the overall play in the first preseason game. Like it or not, we’re stuck with Tomlin and his shortcomings.

I mentioned Tomlin’s typical failure to challenge a play in the game thread, but it’s doubtful the success of the season is going to be determined by instant replay challenges or the overall play in the first preseason game. Like it or not, we’re stuck with Tomlin and his shortcomings.
Serenity Prayer.

Winning in the preseason hasn't gotten us anywhere except complacency. I will gladly take some ugly in these games to force harder wok in practice now.

Fully agree and the rookies need this time / snaps to work their trade in to useable game snaps.

I still think Jones LT / Zack C / Troy RT is a very real possibility come game 1.

Salute the nation

Fully agree and the rookies need this time / snaps to work their trade in to useable game snaps.
First game really didn’t mean that much to me As far as criticism Or praise. I did think Fields should have played the whole first half. Moving forward I consider Fields and Wilson rookies. Along with our OC. I really hope they each play a full half. Both remaining games. They both need the reps,and if we get a slow start out of the gate,we’re hooped. I always thought Ben should have played more in preseason as well. Of course I get the injury risk. Though I think reps in the preseason prepare you better for instinctively avoiding injury in the real season.

I still think Jones LT / Zack C / Troy RT is a very real possibility come game 1.

Salute the nation
Fautanu didn't play real well and has a knee injury. Unfortunately, that puts him behind the 8-ball for starting game 1.

First game really didn’t mean that much to me As far as criticism Or praise. I did think Fields should have played the whole first half. Moving forward I consider Fields and Wilson rookies. Along with our OC. I really hope they each play a full half. Both remaining games. They both need the reps,and if we get a slow start out of the gate,we’re hooped. I always thought Ben should have played more in preseason as well. Of course I get the injury risk. Though I think reps in the preseason prepare you better for instinctively avoiding injury in the real season.

I think a lot the same way.

I also think Coach Tomlin plays a little much musical chair, on the OL unit. I get the trying to find the “fit”, but they don’t seem to get enough of their position snaps that is takes a ways into the regular season before they become a unit.

Salute the nation

Fautanu didn't play real well and has a knee injury. Unfortunately, that puts him behind the 8-ball for starting game 1.

Yep, barring injury of course. But that is why Fantanu needs snaps, to get better. I know hw is injured and hopefully is ready soon.

Keeping Jones at RT and Moore at LT isn’t a winning combination.

Salute the nation

Regardless, his units were well coached and he got the players to elevate.

Our current OL coach———— not so much.

Salute the nationb
There in lays the difference I was pointing out

If a guy arrives needing coaching now, may as well write him off as far as doing anything in Pit

Even the guys that come in good require to actually be put in the right situations and play to their skills which has also is in question lately

I know the offensive line play has been offensive for awhile now and if Najee had any guts he’d have fixed all those holes in it years ago 🤣

I think Troy will be fine as run blocker I think his pass blocking will take some time . But the talent is definitely there.

Cole developed snapping issues last year as well... i still maintain they are asking the C to do to much in their latest blocking scheme...
Pat Meyer aint no Munch... and these guys are normal IOLs, not all pro C... they were absolutely asking Cole to do stuff Pouncey could barely do... probably the same with Herbig
Here is a slow motion clip of the play. Thought it was interesting enough to share.

Unfortunately it puts Jones behind as well as they are going to put him at RT rather than his long-term position of LT.

Kenny did put up better numbers last preseason and the first team O was perfect on TD drives.
He sure did. And he was exalted for it.

What I'm saying is Fields didn't look bad at all, like some people believe.

Is it time yet to consider giving Ryan Tannehill a call as a possible alternative at QB ?

I mean if any coach in the NFL could evaluate a talent comparison between - Fields vs Tannehill I would think Arthur Smith would be the guy.

Honestly, I never understood why Tannehill wasn't brought in instead of Fields to begin with - especially with his past experience with Smith.

I guess that says something.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/nfl-free-agents-best-available-players/

Last edited:
What exactly were you looking for from Fields? The muffed snaps obviously handicapped a couple of drives; they'll get that worked out. The two sacks were not the fault of the quarterback. Fields ended up 5-6 for 67 yards, and his one incompletion should have been challenged. That 20-yard out to Van Jefferson looked just fine to me. When he has time, he gets the ball accurately down the field.

If Kenny had put up those numbers last preseason, guys here would've been all over his dick. In his debut with the Eagles, fittingly, KP threw for 89 yards on 22 passes -- picking up right where he left off with the Steelers at a laughable 4 yards per attempt. Do you miss that shlt?
I wasn't looking for anything. I was hoping he looked different than he did in chicago, which he didn't.

Is it time yet to consider giving Ryan Tannehill a call as a possible alternative at QB ?

I mean if any coach in the NFL could evaluate a talent comparison between - Fields vs Tannehill I would think Arthur Smith would be the guy.

Honestly, I never understood why Tannehill wasn't brought in instead of Fields to begin with - especially with his past experience with Smith.

I guess that says something.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/nfl-free-agents-best-available-players/
I don't think Tannehill would serve any purpose unless either Wilson or Fields missed extended time. Wilson is a better option than Tannehill as a starter and I would rather have Fields as the backup wth the outside chance he could realize some of his potential as a starter. Tannehill has no upside and probably won't win many games if he had to step in for a long-term injury to the starter.

I wasn't looking for anything. I was hoping he looked different than he did in chicago, which he didn't.
Right. Because Fields always had an 83% completion percentage and averaged 11 yards per attempt while he was in Chicago. Makes sense.

I was a little critical of Payton Wilson's performance. While I don't put much stock in PFF I do with film. The all 22 showed really good instincts and intersection of the ball carrier. While I know it wasn't perfect it was pretty damn good. No Devin Bush feet caught in sand. Very little wasted movement.

I was a little critical of Payton Wilson's performance. While I don't put much stock in PFF I do with film. The all 22 showed really good instincts and intersection of the ball carrier. While I know it wasn't perfect it was pretty damn good. No Devin Bush feet caught in sand. Very little wasted movement.
I think we tend to want the here and now with players. Usually they have that two and three year developmental span, we can expect some of those overrun the play type moments with this in mind. But with PW I expect he will learn from his mistakes quickly. Like pretty much everything else he does on the football field. Polamalu had a decent amount of initial WTF moments. Hopefully this class will get over those moments quickly while helping this team win something past regular season games.

I think we tend to want the here and now with players. Usually they have that two and three year developmental span, we can expect some of those overrun the play type moments with this in mind. But with PW I expect he will learn from his mistakes quickly. Like pretty much everything else he does on the football field. Polamalu had a decent amount of initial WTF moments. Hopefully this class will get over those moments quickly while helping this team win something past regular season games.
I watched a break down of his performance. And their opinion aside which was pretty much glowing.......tape doesn't lie. He looked good. They are all pros. The other guy wins sonetimes too. It's the average.

Yeah but Troy had a big head

Fields looked like he improved on things, but still has a ways to go.. Fields is 25 and has played just 3 seasons in the NFL... the list of qbs that took plenty of seasons to figure it out is much longer than the ones that had instant success... hell the Dolphins walked away from Tannehill because he looked like an average QB, he goes to the Titans at 31 and has a pro bowl season... geno Smith, an unequivocal bust at 30, made the pro bowl the past two seasons at 32 and 33...