• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial thoughts on Preseason Game one

I think its impossible to judge. Too many variables here. But if gun to your head make a choice btw. Vastly improved or more of the same.......... and if it is that extention is going to look like a mighty big joke. But I'm sure Rich Eisen will say fire Mike T. Are you kidding me!

As I sit here about to rewatch the game MONEY and TECHNOLOGY cross my mind.

Why???

Almost every sport has some sort of "instant replay". When there is a questionable call or play - why can the NFL not invoke "headquarters is looking at this" and straighten out the outcome of the play???

It's not going to slow the game down so I don't know why the onus is on each team/HC to challenge these plays???

Just something to think about...

After 1 Pre-Season Game ???

BRO...
No, not after one preseason game. More like after the last 13 seasons since the last SB appearance.
It’s an organization that’s firmly entrenched in the middle and is stuck.
This organization with a franchise QB in Ben, receivers like AB and Bryant, RB like Bell, solid OL sprinkled with pro bowlers simply could never unleash hell under Tomlin.
One AFCCG with really good rosters and they got blown out to boot.
The owner thinks he has a top HC and thinks he keeps them in the thick of things. The problem is this guy IS the issue.
Look at last nights game as an example. Van Jefferson was clearly in bounds on the pass from Fields but Tomlin doesn’t challenge. He killed the momentum right there.
He simply cannot do that when the season starts playing the rough schedule that we have. Those mistakes cannot be tolerated any longer.
I just know what to expect and I’d like to be wrong but it starts with the HC.

As I sit here about to rewatch the game MONEY and TECHNOLOGY cross my mind.

Why???

Almost every sport has some sort of "instant replay". When there is a questionable call or play - why can the NFL not invoke "headquarters is looking at this" and straighten out the outcome of the play???

It's not going to slow the game down so I don't know why the onus is on each team/HC to challenge these plays???

Just something to think about...
An average fan can overturn obvious calls in about 10-15 seconds with use of replays. Do this without having an official look at a screen the size of a phone on the sideline and without the ridiculously long commercial breaks.

I realize it’s the first pre season game but man the mistakes on ST for example are glaring.
Muffed punt fumbled, fair catch on a punt with plenty of space to run, block in the back on KO return, poor KO and punt coverage. That’s all on Bubbles who should have been fired years ago and he’s a Tomlin hire.
Non challenge by Tomlin on a clear lay that should have been challenged and would have been overturned.
Team just looked sloppy and unprepared. A trademark of Tomlin.
Why was Herbig the starting center?
Idk, I keep telling myself it was just the first preseason game but I can’t help but see the same crap as always from a Tomlin team.

With Broderick Jones being in only his second year, I'm not sure I like the idea of multiple rookies starting on the line in the beginning of the season.

They also just need to put Jones on one side and leave him there. Constantly moving him around cannot be good for his development.

Outside of Pickens and Najee, the first team offense did not look particularly good, but it was the first practice game in a new scheme without the likely QB1 playing.

Fields looked OK, but didn't really show anything to make one think he needs to be playing over Wilson.

I realize it’s the first pre season game but man the mistakes on ST for example are glaring.
Muffed punt fumbled, fair catch on a punt with plenty of space to run, block in the back on KO return, poor KO and punt coverage. That’s all on Bubbles who should have been fired years ago and he’s a Tomlin hire.
I would've brought in an XFL special teams coach as an assistant to help navigate the new kickoff rules.

With Broderick Jones being in only his second year, I'm not sure I like the idea of multiple rookies starting on the line in the beginning of the season.

They also just need to put Jones on one side and leave him there. Constantly moving him around cannot be good for his development.

Outside of Pickens and Najee, the first team offense did not look particularly good, but it was the first practice game in a new scheme without the likely QB1 playing.

Fields looked OK, but didn't really show anything to make one think he needs to be playing over Wilson.
The rookies on the OL is a bit of an issue. Do we really want Herbig playing center? If not, insert Frazier into the lineup. We both talked about screwing around with Jones playing multiple spots. Rather than treat him like a backup swing tackle, treat him like your future at LT and start him there. That puts a hole at RT, which Dan Moore has basically said he can't play. Next in line is Fautanu. Two rookies and a first-year starter at LT. Take your lumps with the young guys or keep the underachieving vets in the lineup. Either way it will take half a season to start to jell.

An average fan can overturn obvious calls in about 10-15 seconds with use of replays. Do this without having an official look at a screen the size of a phone on the sideline and without the ridiculously long commercial breaks.
But that is the NFL's point in the delay, not the call on the play.

I think its impossible to judge. Too many variables here. But if gun to your head make a choice btw. Vastly improved or more of the same.......... and if it is that extention is going to look like a mighty big joke. But I'm sure Rich Eisen will say fire Mike T. Are you kidding me!
Rooney imo made a huge mistake with extension.
The team had Tomlin under contract for 24 with the option in 25.
So pick up the option for 25 and you have him for two seasons more and if he doesn’t turn it around by conclusion of 25 season, then you move on.
Now Rooney is committed through the 27 season. Thats not good reasoning to me unless you’re satisfied with mediocre results with the hope this guy will push you over the top.
This organization imo needs a fresh start with younger, more imaginative offensive type coaching.
You’re not winning any longer with just a very good defense. You must put up points to compete with the elite teams.
Guys like the Texans OC Bobby Slowik are the next wave of these types I’m referring to.

And this fanbase will patiently wait for the OL to gel ? When we're 0-8 they start playing better?

Top teams average 27 points per game. We average 18. Tomlin can make up the difference? No chance.

I’m really concerned about this brutal schedule.
The first two games on the road are against teams we should beat but we all know that story.
Atlanta will be a tough game with Cousins at QB and pretty good roster and then to Denver which is always a tough place for us to play.
With all the question marks on this team it could get ugly.

The rookies on the OL is a bit of an issue. Do we really want Herbig playing center? If not, insert Frazier into the lineup. We both talked about screwing around with Jones playing multiple spots. Rather than treat him like a backup swing tackle, treat him like your future at LT and start him there. That puts a hole at RT, which Dan Moore has basically said he can't play. Next in line is Fautanu. Two rookies and a first-year starter at LT. Take your lumps with the young guys or keep the underachieving vets in the lineup. Either way it will take half a season to start to jell.

People expecting the line to be a strength the first month or two of the season are probably going to be disappointed.

They traded up in the first round for Jones to be their franchise LT. It's time they commit to that, unless they have doubts that he can do it.

If Moore is incapable of playing RT and Fautanu misses time, it should be next man up on the depth chart on the right side.

The last thing they can afford to do is prevent Jones from reaching his ceiling by refusing to settle him into a position.

I’m really concerned about this brutal schedule.
The first two games on the road are against teams we should beat but we all know that story.
Atlanta will be a tough game with Cousins at QB and pretty good roster and then to Denver which is always a tough place for us to play.
With all the question marks on this team it could get ugly.

The Falcons' familiarity with Arthur Smith' offense, while the Steelers are trying to get familiar with it themselves, concerns me as much as anything.

Steelers never win in Denver.

I thought the rookie Watts from Texas had a good first impression. He let the ball bounce out of his hands when he dove for a tipped pass and hit the turf. He also looked in position for a pick deep in Texan territory but the pass was tipped again at the line of scrimmage. He was there on run support as well, although he didn't have the same amount of playing time as P. Wilson, he impressed me more.

Elliot also layed some serious wood in run support. McCormick and Fraizer will be quite a force in the middle of the OL.

Laughed my a&& off at Anderson falling backwards on the defensive offsides/push. Trying to get a personal foul, NBA would have Td him up for flopping. Otherwise, he played pretty solid.

Not concerned about Fautanu, give him time. The concern was length and that was on display with the first sack. I think the speed of the game caught him off guard, regardless of reps against TJ and others in camp, game time is another gear.

I thought the rookie Watts from Texas had a good first impression. He let the ball bounce out of his hands when he dove for a tipped pass and hit the turf. He also looked in position for a pick deep in Texan territory but the pass was tipped again at the line of scrimmage. He was there on run support as well, although he didn't have the same amount of playing time as P. Wilson, he impressed me more.

Elliot also layed some serious wood in run support. McCormick and Fraizer will be quite a force in the middle of the OL.

Laughed my a&& off at Anderson falling backwards on the defensive offsides/push. Trying to get a personal foul, NBA would have Td him up for flopping. Otherwise, he played pretty solid.

Not concerned about Fautanu, give him time. The concern was length and that was on display with the first sack. I think the speed of the game caught him off guard, regardless of reps against TJ and others in camp, game time is another gear.
I think after that sack he settled down. The game will come to him

a) A sputtering offense,
b) a defense that plays well enough to keep the Steelers within striking distance,
c) God-awful special teams, and
d) stupid in-game decision-making from Tomlin (including a wasted non-challenge that could have resulted in a first down in field goal range, a couple of questionable punting/go-for-it moments, plus wearing sunglasses throughout the first quarter of a game which kicked off at 7pm).

So, essentially my initial thoughts were same old shlt.
You can't see him blinking with the cool shades on.

Top teams average 27 points per game. We average 18. Tomlin can make up the difference? No chance.
That was last year w/ a horrible OC and horrible QB play until Mason took over. Let's not put the cart in front of the horse yet - we haven't seen the 1s on offense as a whole and the same can be said for the defense...

The Falcons' familiarity with Arthur Smith' offense, while the Steelers are trying to get familiar with it themselves, concerns me as much as anything.

Steelers never win in Denver.
I recall a few great wins in Denver. but to your point, its been trying