• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial Thoughts on the Atlanta game

The Tomlin ultra conservative method has proven to be serviceable in the regular season as they face a parity filled league and his style can consistently get to that 6th-7th best in AFC range

The problem is there is virtually zero margin for error which does not work in a win or go home scenario playing against the better teams in the league as the parity has been weeded out to the cream of the crop. Usually the margin of error bites him the first chance it gets in the playoffs, but is almost impossible to play perfectly conservative 4 games in a row vs these better teams

So he’s got a mold that bakes perfectly formed above average regular season cookies (10-7, 9-8) that get very stale very quickly come playoff time (0-1)

It's just a carbon copy of recent years when we've avoided the middle of the field like the plague with a risk averse HC who wants to shorten games and win 19-17 every week if possible.

Complete transparency here, not a fan of Tomlin's vision of offense and the ceiling of this team as a perpetual "alive for the final playoff spot in Week 18 every year."

Nothing will change with Shades at the helm. They will avoid the middle of the field at all costs because Tomlin believes that's where the Ints happen with tipped balls or jumping routes.

He wants to play it this way every week and it's incredibly boring from an entertainment standpoint not to mention pretty much zero playoff run aspirations with this philosophy.

He produced similar records when he had a QB and offense that could score points.

He's basically "Mediocre Mike," regardless of the strategy involved.
He’s definitely mediocre

The defense wasn’t as stout or as deep when Ben was being paid so more points scored and more given up

He’s always been conservative AF

Ben just had a way of tuning him out and doing what he wanted, **** he’d draw up his own plays

Lately the master controller has gotten so conservative he doesn’t even allow audibles

It’s the evolution of conservative mediocrity we’re witnessing

NHALSSBWHCMTCOYGOAT

No major surprises. Pussywillow Wilson rather be making movies than playing football. But he came cheap, so that and the Rooney Rule is all this organization seems to care about these days. Mission accomplished.

Smith may be a slight upgrade over the loser that we had last year, but I wouldn’t count on any post season play with this offense.

Justin Faileds played it safe. Not surprised that we didn’t find the end zone. A slight upgrade over crybaby Pickett, but we don’t have a coaching staff that is capable of building him up. Refer to paragraph 1 if you need reminded where our priorities lie.

Tomlin appears to be the same clueless, poor play calling numb-nuts that he’s been for the past 18 years. Thanks Art for that extension. No really. Thanks.

Another moron move extending Old Man Hayward. “He can be a mentor in the locker room”. Yeah .. sure.

Boz looked good. Watts looked good. I don’t have high hopes, but at least we won’t finish 0-17 this season.
it is Old man Heyward you ******** troll

He’s definitely mediocre

The defense wasn’t as stout or as deep when Ben was being paid so more points scored and more given up

He’s always been conservative AF

Ben just had a way of tuning him out and doing what he wanted, **** he’d draw up his own plays

Lately the master controller has gotten so conservative he doesn’t even allow audibles

It’s the evolution of conservative mediocrity we’re witnessing

NHALSSBWHCMTCOYGOAT

And the conservative approach has "worked" to the extent it has in recent years largely because of a generational-level edge defender in Watt disrupting offenses all game every game.

Their record without Watt is quite telling.

Offense still sputtering need more TDs than FGs but the OL was giving Fields a lot of time to pass

Damn Boz can kick though - Thank God for him - who knew he could punt also

Defense could be really good - Wilson is going to be a player

Watt continues to get mugged

Fields played better than I expected once they started to open it up a little

Pickens had some big plays but nearly ****** up at the end of the 1st half

going for it quick late in the4th was not smart, I can see why they did it but you have to go up 8 there

Watt closing it out with a sack was perfect

OL is going to be a strength, soon. Need to get Broderick in his right place.

Few years ago, I read a small blurb about BOZ bragging about beating the punter(of the time) in free kicking.

Fields appears to be mentored here way better than when he was in Chigago, hope he continues his arrow up journey.

Watt who, he couldn’t even win DPOY last year…………………..

Good observations Coolie, thanks for all your great ones along the way………. The HUMOR too…….

Salute the nation

Geez I hope that Parsely Harvin isn't a Steeler tomorrow.

I think we have a second punter on the PS, just a speculation……………….

Salute the nation

The nightmare punting from last season is giving me heartburn...avg punt 11 yards

It's just a carbon copy of recent years when we've avoided the middle of the field like the plague with a risk averse HC who wants to shorten games and win 19-17 every week if possible.

Complete transparency here, not a fan of Tomlin's vision of offense and the ceiling of this team as a perpetual "alive for the final playoff spot in Week 18 every year."

Nothing will change with Shades at the helm. They will avoid the middle of the field at all costs because Tomlin believes that's where the Ints happen with tipped balls or jumping routes.

He wants to play it this way every week and it's incredibly boring from an entertainment standpoint not to mention pretty much zero playoff run aspirations with this philosophy.

Are you saying you like Christmas better than GroundHog day ????

Salute the nation

I will say this ... offenses around the NFL are struggling today. Defenses are just ahead of the curve so far.
Yeah, I was scanning around looking at all of the scores and statistics and most looked like trash.

Even that overhyped first round draft pick for the Bears had a whole 93 yards passing on 14 completions no touchdowns, no picks, 2 sacks and a 55.7 rating.

Statistically our guy Fields was twice as good and had a 91.9 rating.

Not sure what most of you are watching to not see an improvement.
We ran several play action passes
We had designed runs for fields
We attempted to use Harris in the passing game
We managed to get 3 points at the end of the half when I thought a kneel down was coming
The oline was solid
We had 6 scoring drives and I think only one 3 and out
Only a few bad play calls, but every team has those
TEs caught 5 balls
The offense was not great, but there were many schematic improvements and we had several prolonged drives. This was also with our 2nd string QB and injuries on the Oline. I certainly do not like Tomlin and the team may regress, but I think this game was a breath of fresh air compared to the Canada era. I was also not able to predict the plays like the canda era. I almost always knew what was coming w/ Canada.

I was very concerned about this Atlanta game last week but they did what they had to do.
They can most likely get away with this super conservative offensive gameplan against lesser opponents but when they play the better teams the offense will have to be opened up.
They have to start using the middle of the field and I must admit it, some of you guys were right, we need a number two receiver. Van Jefferson was invisible today! Hopefully Roman Wilson will be a nice contributor which think he will be.

More thoughts after the game settled

think the Oline is going to be solid sooner than I anticipated.Frazier was quiet and that has to be a good thing. Perhaps they should look at McCormick a little closer.

Curious about that one wide open TD for Atlanta who was supposed to be in coverage.

Hopefully Roman Wilson is capable because we need WRs that can get open.

Thought they waited a little long to spell Najee with Warren.

I agree with Cope about the DJ trade tilting in our favor.

Last edited:
More thoughts after the game settled

I think the Oline is going to be solid sooner than I anticipated.

Curious about that one wide open TD for Atlanta who was supposed to be in coverage.
I think Bishop expected help over the top so im guessing either Bishop had the coverage wrong or somone else blew their assignment

Not sure what most of you are watching to not see an improvement.
We ran several play action passes
We had designed runs for fields
We attempted to use Harris in the passing game
We managed to get 3 points at the end of the half when I thought a kneel down was coming
The oline was solid
We had 6 scoring drives and I think only one 3 and out
Only a few bad play calls, but every team has those
TEs caught 5 balls
The offense was not great, but there were many schematic improvements and we had several prolonged drives. This was also with our 2nd string QB and injuries on the Oline. I certainly do not like Tomlin and the team may regress, but I think this game was a breath of fresh air compared to the Canada era. I was also not able to predict the plays like the canda era. I almost always knew what was coming w/ Canada.
We have a new OC and playbook. We only had 5 starters back today from opening day last season. Considering all the new parts on offense I thought there was a lot to be optimistic about for game 1.

We have a new OC and playbook. We only had 5 starters back today from opening day last season. Considering all the new parts on offense I thought there was a lot to be optimistic about for game 1.
really only 5? wow

QB- Fields looks mid. Inaccurate and missed some big plays.

RB- Najee is a big powerful guy but he’s complimentary not a feature. Hope Warren is healthier next week. They seemed to really limit his snaps.

TE- Muth had a few decent catches but feel he was limited by QB play.

WR- George had 6-85 (was actually more but refs). Everyone else had 2-8. Now there was a huge play to CA3 (pretty sure it was him) that Fields completely missed. But still. We need something from our other receivers.

OL- Frazier had a couple bad snaps early but got his 💩 together. Probably nerves. Line played decent enough especially considering how bad they played in the preseason.

DL- played above par. Adams played exceptionally well.

ILB- Payton Wilson looked awesome. Expect big things from him. Queen did not stand out but first game but it’s early.

OLB- Watt was robbed a few times by the zebras but got the walk off sack which was fitting. Highsmith had some decent pressure today. Herbig got in the game but didn’t make his pressing known.

CB- We got the better DJ out of the panthers trade. Beanie is mid. JPJ is head and shoulders above the rest.

S- Elliott was a nice surprise. So far best defensive signing we had this year. Fitz was around the ball but we need splash plays from our super stars.

All in all our defense is top 3 if not 1 in the NFL. Our QB and WR after Pickens is concerning. Biggest problem is still Tomlin. People will get on Smith soon but why does all these offenses look the same since we fired I mean Arians “retired?” It’s because we are running Tomlins offense.

I just did not know that. that is huge. TY. that has to be some kind of Steeler record.
Probably a similar player turnover during the early Noll years but I doubt anything like it since.