• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial Thoughts on the Atlanta game

Winning this game goes a long way to evening out the schedule...
this was the steelers 17th game.. NFC and vs a team nobody else in the division plays. Barring a tie game vs a afc west team that we also end up tied with for playoff position (or strength of victory/schedule stuff)...this game means virtually nothing for tiebreakers...

But is was the 9th road game on the schedule, so now with that as a win, we are even with the other teams home/away tge rest of the way.

Honestly.. these cross conference games should open up the schedule every year... its the least penalizing loss and least rewarding win... its basically a preseason game that counts

If Wilson started this game, i'd be concerned about the conservative playcalls. But when Fields had to start, it makes sense to keep it simple. Atlanta wasn't moving the ball so there was no reason to open things up and invite danger. So for a week 1 with a backup QB, I'm just happy to get a win.

Long term though, this is not enough.

Why only 2 carries for Warren? Najee runs hard and Tomlin loves him but giving Najee so much more time than Warren feels like when they kept playing Ziggy Hood over Cam Heyward.

If Fields needs to start next week, they have to install some RPO stuff.

We had 6 scoring drives. Only 2 teams had more the Saints and Bucs. A few teams tied us with 6. Dallas had 7 scores, but one was a punt return. We would have had another if we kicked a FG on 4th and 1. I realize we didn't convert TDs and we need to work on that, but if we keep driving the ball they will come. I'm not sure what you guys expect. We played a very solid clean game.

We had 6 scoring drives. Only 2 teams had more the Saints and Bucs. A few teams tied us with 6. Dallas had 7 scores, but one was a punt return. We would have had another if we kicked a FG on 4th and 1. I realize we didn't convert TDs and we need to work on that, but if we keep driving the ball they will come. I'm not sure what you guys expect. We played a very solid clean game.
I personally only expect to score one more point than whomever. They can get 10 FGs every game and I would be ok with it. Until it caused them to lose because of it. Then my expectations would change.

And the conservative approach has "worked" to the extent it has in recent years largely because of a generational-level edge defender in Watt disrupting offenses all game every game.

Their record without Watt is quite telling.
Watt alone is worth the price of admission
Generational talent

And you’re spot on, the record doesn’t lie.

We have a new OC and playbook. We only had 5 starters back today from opening day last season. Considering all the new parts on offense I thought there was a lot to be optimistic about for game 1.
Looked light years ahead of last year’s week 1 performance

What we saw yesterday was a Tomlin offense firing on all cylinders-already in mid season form

If Wilson started this game, i'd be concerned about the conservative playcalls. But when Fields had to start, it makes sense to keep it simple. Atlanta wasn't moving the ball so there was no reason to open things up and invite danger. So for a week 1 with a backup QB, I'm just happy to get a win.

Long term though, this is not enough.

Why only 2 carries for Warren? Najee runs hard and Tomlin loves him but giving Najee so much more time than Warren feels like when they kept playing Ziggy Hood over Cam Heyward.

If Fields needs to start next week, they have to install some RPO stuff.
It was conservative indeed, I kinda look at it like we know it will be conservative no matter who is back there (the past suggests that) so Fields and his mobility allowed many drives to continue which Russ likely won’t be able to do (sustain drives with his legs within a Tomlin offense). We will soon see, hopefully Russ’ ability to read the field will help compensate and add more splash plays.

Pretty sure they knew Warren wasn’t ready, thus the reduced work load. Hopefully no setbacks from this game, but he was limpy/gimpy after runs and did not look healthy yet. It seemed early they were attempting to get CP some run to see if they were going to need to use Warren or if they could get by without him,

And most definitely RPO if Fields is the starter, or even for his packages if Russ is. A FB or two back set flanking Fields would be nice to see too.

Last edited:
How many teams had more TDs?

Ain’t going to win many games with 18-21 coming from Boz as the game plan.

TDs are essential in a scoring league.

I wish Boz had kicked that FG on the 4th down deep in Atlanta territory so I could tell you ladies to calm down, the offense scored 3 TD's. :D

He’s definitely mediocre

The defense wasn’t as stout or as deep when Ben was being paid so more points scored and more given up

He’s always been conservative AF

Ben just had a way of tuning him out and doing what he wanted, **** he’d draw up his own plays

Lately the master controller has gotten so conservative he doesn’t even allow audibles

It’s the evolution of conservative mediocrity we’re witnessing

NHALSSBWHCMTCOYGOAT
Have we ever seen a modern NFL offense this consciously risk averse to throwing in the middle of the field?

I don't want to see this philosophy rewarded with success. I want them to have to open it up more. Who wants to watch this scared offensive football for 16 more weeks while they try to 16-15 their way to the last playoff spot.

DangeRuss with some play action should open up the middle for a few passes next Sunday.
He must have talked with Tomlin about things like this before signing for $1.......his next payday comes only because of good results, not being 17% better than KFP.

What we saw yesterday was a Tomlin offense firing on all cylinders-already in mid season form
lol truly a virtuoso midseason performance that could have been conducted by KP as well. Much like the win in LA last year. Yesterday was the ceiling.

The funny thing though is we all know he is downright giddy over yesterday's performance, and it's only going to cause him to double down the rest of the way. He truly believes he has discovered the blueprint with avoiding middle of field at all costs.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was scanning around looking at all of the scores and statistics and most looked like trash.

Even that overhyped first round draft pick for the Bears had a whole 93 yards passing on 14 completions no touchdowns, no picks, 2 sacks and a 55.7 rating.

Statistically our guy Fields was twice as good and had a 91.9 rating.

MaMa cry boy had a 48% completion 14/29 / 93 / 3.2 avg. 55.7

Fields 17 / 23 / 156 / 6.8avg. / 91.9

Like it or not, Fields had a decent outing. I kinda hope he starts next week as well.

Salute the nation

I haven't read the whole thread but...

The MOST IMPRESSIVE thing for me was - not seeing or hearing Dan Moore Jr.'s name because he was sucking. Maybe I'll retract that once I go back and watch the game again.

The refs gave ATL their lone TD - take that score off the board and they only score 3 points.

The MOST IMPRESSIVE thing for me was - not seeing or hearing Dan Moore Jr.'s name because he was sucking. Maybe I'll retract that once I go back and watch the game again.

The refs gave ATL their lone TD - take that score off the board and they only score 3 points.

Moore played fairly well, I don't know how he will grade out, but from what I saw he didn't have anything glaring.

Salute the nation

Last year was sort of an outlier for openers. Tomlin has a pretty great record when he has extra time to prep.
Openers, the week after the bye, monday nights, the week after a wed/thur/ fri/Sat game... he has a winning % significantly higher than his average in all those situations...

And technically that first drive should have ended with a DJ 2.0 pick, but he dropped it... we easily could of shut them out.

On the flip side, their qb hasnt played in like almost a year... so maybe he was rusty and the D isnt quite as good as it showed yesterday.. but then again, maybe it is....

How many teams had more TDs?

Ain’t going to win many games with 18-21 coming from Boz as the game plan.

TDs are essential in a scoring league.
I get what you are saying, but we ate the clock scored and kept the D fresh. If we got the calls we should have we might have got a TD or 2. We over came some huge terrible calls on both sides of the ball. I just don't think it was no where near as bad as people are making it.

All in all our defense is top 3 if not 1 in the NFL. Our QB and WR after Pickens is concerning. Biggest problem is still Tomlin. People will get on Smith soon but why does all these offenses look the same since we fired I mean Arians “retired?” It’s because we are running Tomlins offense.
I don't know how you can be a fan of the Steelers and believe that what we saw yesterday is the same "Tomlin" offense as recent years. The use of play-action passing was demonstrably different.

Last edited:
A couple of positives I haven't seen mentioned:

1) Calvin Austin is a very good punt return man. Seemingly always makes the first guy miss.
2) Putting together sustained drives (albeit just for field goals) helped keep the defense off the field. The offense only had two 3-and-outs the whole day; I can remember several games last year when they had that many or more in the first quarter alone. Unlike in seasons past, the D was fresh and able to dominate in the late stages of the game.

1) Calvin Austin is a very good punt return man. Seemingly always makes the first guy miss.
2) Putting together sustained drives (albeit just for field goals) helped keep the defense off the field. The offense only had two 3-and-outs the whole day; I can remember several games last year when they had that many or more in the first quarter alone. Unlike in seasons past, the D was fresh and able to dominate in the late stages of the game.
Yep Top……..the last few seasons there were whole quarters and almost first halfs when we never got a frigging first down. Calvin actually looked dangerous, like he could pop one any time he touched it.

Another thing I will add. Tomlin had the guys ready to play. There was lots of fire,emotion. And it carried through out the game. That first series from Justin put a little damper on things,but was erased. Remember that ***-kicking first game we got last year by the 49’s…..and my favorite a few years ago when NE smoked us 33-3😡

The play calling by both offense and defense coordinators improved a lot in the second half. Which suggests halftime adjustments. So let’s give some credit to the coaching as well. I’ll try to erase the not going for the FG from my memory.

I get what you are saying, but we ate the clock scored and kept the D fresh. If we got the calls we should have we might have got a TD or 2. We over came some huge terrible calls on both sides of the ball. I just don't think it was no where near as bad as people are making it.
They possessed the ball and had the benefit of an excellent kicker
90% or more credit to the D for the win

Win the turnover battle by 3 and keep em around 20 yards pitching a shutout in the 2nd half

The Steelers got some first downs, sure…but there was almost zero offensive prowess displayed.

That they put up 18 with all that help is pretty damn weak

Justin Fields eyes are far apart.
You’d think he’d have a better panoramic view of the field than most QB’s.

]
IMG-0078.webp

Last edited:

And Austin is fast as shiznit. They need to get him in on the passing game with plays where he has a chance for YAC.