• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial thoughts on this **** show

I agreed it was the one decision I would have truly questioned. I would have kicked the FG after Kenny went down. We go up 3 and the game likely goes far differently. Aside from that the mistakes were player issues form my vantage point in the stands.
Tomlin chooses some weird-*** times to not live in his fears.

Tomlin chooses some weird-*** times to not live in his fears.
I was torn at the time. We were sitting right on the goal line at that end and it looked like we should have just ran a sneak. I think we would have scored that way. The call they made was pathetic in the situation as it surprised no one after the personnel changes.

I like the idea, but I doubt anyone is capable of a legal formation.
When Pickett got hurt, I said out loud "Just kick it". I thought it was a no-brainer, given the circumstance.
You are just living in your fears. Tomlin was just trying to prove he wasn’t.

The outcry would have been the same if he had kicked it. Fans would be upset they were only up 3 instead of 7.

Well now two players have come out said they took the Cardinals lightly, Dionte said they took them lightly all week.

Well now two players have come out said they took the Cardinals lightly, Dionte said they took them lightly all week.
I know the head coach is mainly responsible for preparing the team for upcoming opponent

But where ws the leaders on this team all week?

I know the head coach is mainly responsible for preparing the team for upcoming opponent

It's hard to be a leader on a team when the head coach constantly makes excuses for or permits the very behavior that the leaders should be trying to stop. Tomlin stated that Okobi was benched because there was someone that could take his place...and that he did not bench DJ because there was nobody that could take his place. In plain words, as long as you are not replaceable, you can do as you please. What a great mantra to have for a team. In order to have player leaders, you have to have coaching leaders, and that is something we are sorely missing.

It's hard to be a leader on a team when the head coach constantly makes excuses for or permits the very behavior that the leaders should be trying to stop. Tomlin stated that Okobi was benched because there was someone that could take his place...and that he did not bench DJ because there was nobody that could take his place. In plain words, as long as you are not replaceable, you can do as you please. What a great mantra to have for a team. In order to have player leaders, you have to have coaching leaders, and that is something we are sorely missing.
I know this guy... Hes a contractor. General. He cant keep guys. The ones he gets are all either on drugs or were in prision before for something. You know what else? Hes a ******* dumb ***. Hes really pretty stupid himself. Guys dont respect him and dont listen.

I know this guy... Hes a contractor. General. He cant keep guys. The ones he gets are all either on drugs or were in prision before for something. You know what else? Hes a ******* dumb ***. Hes really pretty stupid himself. Guys dont respect him and dont listen.
Yeah but can they pour concrete?!
;)

For added context. Note, Faulker (as the coaches always do), blames it on the execution by the players.

I don't think he did say that. When asked if the Steelers took them lightly he said "....I felt like the whole week, once we got out there something was different" - that suggests their attitude during the week was focused, but then as soon as they were on the field the focus was lost.

PS does anyone else find Steelers players hard to understand in their media interviews? They mumble and their thoughts seem to be a jumbled mess rather than coherent threads. I think I can see the reason they have communication problems on the field.

PS does anyone else find Steelers players hard to understand in their media interviews? They mumble and their thoughts seem to be a jumbled mess rather than coherent threads. I think I can see the reason they have communication problems on the field.
Most of them wont get accepted into N.D, Duke, or Stanford...
Keep that in mind Aussie..

Last edited:
Most of them wont get accepted into N.D, Duke, or Stanford...
Keep that in mind Aussie..
Some wouldn’t be accepted many places if it weren’t for athletics.

I don't follow Ben's Footbahlin, but watched the last one for his take on the Cards game. He seems to think Mitch might do well under the current OC situation and sounds like he has a lot of confidence in him, including a win against the Cheats. He also had comments about Art, the fans' impact on internal decisions, TJ's comment etc.

Roughly the 37:00 - 47:00 mark and I found it interesting. Or at least from a former insider's perspective.

Joe Schobert interview highlights on Steelers. https://steelerstakeaways.com/exclusive-with-former-browns-steelers-2021-linebacker-joe-schobert/

Did anyone in Pittsburgh help show you the ropes when you got there – how so?

My locker was between TJ’s and Derek’s. They were old college teammates so they helped me. The coaching staff was there for such a long time and they had so many veteran players on that team – way more than anywhere else I’d been. It made for good continuity. But it was also less structured because of it. With all of those veteran players, players were expected to be professionals on and off the field and the coaches didn’t take all of their time checking on them every day. They were expected to do everything the right way without all of that governance by the coaches. It could get lax at times but you were expected to do the work. It wasn’t like other places that were more structured – where they’d expect you to be in certain places like the weight room or film room at certain times every day. You were expected to be professionals who could figure that out on your own.

Do you think it was too lax at times?

For Pittsburgh it works because of the veteran players there. They had been there for so long. But if it was a bunch of young guys like we had in Cleveland it would have been a dumpster fire. It was the same defensive scheme for years too so as a defensive player that helped – there wasn’t a lot of re-learning. I think for some of the young guys that got there later it may have been too lax for them, I’m not sure.

To me, this sounds like Tomlin says welp, do your job everyone. I'll see ya later. No structure, no accountability. How does he even know who's putting in work or correcting what people do? This is pretty telling IMO.

Joe Schobert interview highlights on Steelers. https://steelerstakeaways.com/exclusive-with-former-browns-steelers-2021-linebacker-joe-schobert/

Did anyone in Pittsburgh help show you the ropes when you got there – how so?

My locker was between TJ’s and Derek’s. They were old college teammates so they helped me. The coaching staff was there for such a long time and they had so many veteran players on that team – way more than anywhere else I’d been. It made for good continuity. But it was also less structured because of it. With all of those veteran players, players were expected to be professionals on and off the field and the coaches didn’t take all of their time checking on them every day. They were expected to do everything the right way without all of that governance by the coaches. It could get lax at times but you were expected to do the work. It wasn’t like other places that were more structured – where they’d expect you to be in certain places like the weight room or film room at certain times every day. You were expected to be professionals who could figure that out on your own.

Do you think it was too lax at times?

For Pittsburgh it works because of the veteran players there. They had been there for so long. But if it was a bunch of young guys like we had in Cleveland it would have been a dumpster fire. It was the same defensive scheme for years too so as a defensive player that helped – there wasn’t a lot of re-learning. I think for some of the young guys that got there later it may have been too lax for them, I’m not sure.

To me, this sounds like Tomlin says welp, do your job everyone. I'll see ya later. No structure, no accountability. How does he even know who's putting in work or correcting what people do? This is pretty telling IMO.
Another issue with this is the Steelers really don't have any true locker room leaders. I like Cam, TJ, etc., but those guys aren't in the same stratosphere as a Bettis, Farrior, Polamalu, Clark, etc.

I will put money on Hoodie trying to intentionally lose and having not being able to, because we can't execute...

And who are they exactly?

Another issue with this is the Steelers really don't have any true locker room leaders. I like Cam, TJ, etc., but those guys aren't in the same stratosphere as a Bettis, Farrior, Polamalu, Clark, etc.
Nope. They are leaders by example players. Big difference.

Agreed. Cam wants to be that guy but he's just not.

At least he is giving the effort …which shoes he gives a crap..,
Except he has a little of that me first attitude too, he's always on twitter or whatever it is bitching anytime he's not as high on someone's player rankings list as he thinks he should be.