• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is LB James Harrison next to be added into the “Steelers Wing” in Canton, Ohio?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Franco Harris first coined the term “Steelers Wing” during his Hall of Fame induction speech in 1990 and it turned out to be even more prophetic than he imagined. Since the induction of Joe Greene, no team can rival the magnitude of players, coaches, and contributors who have played a major role in Pittsburgh Steelers lore who have joined the hallowed ranks of NFL legends now immortalized in Canton.

The question to Steeler Nation of who will be next has been buzzing and, in this installment, we will examine the status of former Steelers linebacker, James Harrison.

Harrison will have his first year of eligibility in 2023 and it will unquestionably spark debate. Harrison was a late bloomer who wasn’t on the NFL radar until 2007 – but when he finally made an impact, it was special, and his presence helped a dominant defense to emerge as an all-time great defense.

Argument #1: All-Time Great Defense

The Steelers defense finished in the top-10 rankings for 13 consecutive years from 2000-2012 and 6x were the #1 overall defense in the NFL. Compare that stretch to the other “great” defenses of the era:

• The 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers – 9 years (1996-2005) and 3 Hall of Famers
  • The 1985 Chicago Bears – 6 years (1983-1988) and 3 Hall of Famers
  • The 2000 Baltimore Ravens – 3 years (1999-2001) and 2 Hall of Famers

The Steelers defense was the strength of a unit that dominated consistently longer and reached 3 Super Bowls in 6 years, winning 2. Based on history, defensive units that achieved high levels of success and won championships have seen 2-3 players represented.

Argument #2: Harrison’s Impact

When Harrison was inserted as a starter to replace the departing Joey Porter, an already great defense became unquestionably the best in the NFL. Over the ensuing 6 years, the Steelers defense would finish #1 overall 4 times (2007, 2008, 2011, 2012) and #2 overall in 2010, not to mention 2 times reaching the Super Bowl.

Harrison was more than just a great player on a great defense. He was named to 5 consecutive Pro Bowls and earned All-Pro honors 4x, including twice being named 1st team All-Pro. But if you need any further evidence, just look at the game that propelled Harrison to national recognition and earned him the nickname “Mr. Monday Night.” In a 38-7 destruction of the Ravens, he had 9 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 1 interception and 1 fumble recovery.

Harrison was a master in the art of the strip sack, as over his 6-year run as starting ROLB, he accumulated 60 sacks and forced 29 fumbles – consider that Ray Lewis forced only 19 fumbles during his whole career. He was a throwback to another time and era, as he was the most intimidating and physical LB in the NFL.

Argument #3: 2008 Defensive Player of the Year

The 2008 Pittsburgh Steelers defense was the best of the 2000’s Steelers and on par with any in NFL history. They finished #1 overall and #1 in sacks, passing defense, scoring defense and just barely missed the complete sweep by finishing #2 in rushing defense. This was vs. the toughest schedule in the NFL and with the lowest rated scoring offense – #22 – of any Super Bowl Champion.

Harrison was more deserving of 2008 MVP honors than Peyton Manning but won Defensive Player of the Year. Harrison was the most dominant player in the NFL that season with 16 sacks, forcing 7 fumbles, 101 tackles and 19 tackles for loss in only 15 games – sitting out the season finale. Even then, the numbers don’t tell the whole story as Harrison directly impacted the outcome of 3 games – a strip sack fumble returned for TD vs. the Ravens, a sack that sealed the game vs. Jacksonville Jaguars, and a safety vs. the San Diego Chargers that was the point difference in the 11-10 win.

Harrison-TD.jpg

Getty Images

No play was bigger than the 100-yard interception return in Super Bowl XLIII. The Arizona Cardinals were trailing 10-7 with 18 seconds remaining in the half, but had the ball on the Steelers’ 1, appeared poised to tie the score or take the lead. Kurt Warner zipped a quick pass to receiver Anquan Boldin just inside the goal line, but Harrison jumped in front of Boldin and caught it instead. Warner would say that he wasn’t able to see him around his linemen, but Harrison was not supposed to be there in the first place. Dick LeBeau gave his veteran defense the freedom to make changes if they saw the need and Harrison was aware that he had not been able to get near Warner as the savvy QB was getting the ball out too quickly, so he decided to drop into coverage. The heady play by Harrison stopped the Cardinals from scoring, then he ran the length of the field, looking like he was Earl Campbell, swerving in between a sea of players until the Cardinals finally caught up with him just before the goal line. By then, his momentum was just too great and a play that took up all 18 seconds on the clock resulted in a narrow Steelers TD.

Argument #4: Longevity vs. Impact

One of the arguments that will go against Harrison is his lack of longevity – which definitely impacted his career totals. There are certainly players with gaudier statistics. He likely would not have even been a candidate if not for his 2014 “unretirement” which led to surprising productivity late in his career. His career total of 84.5 sacks is low (officially 63rd All-Time) in comparison to other candidates like DeMarcus Ware (138.5) and Terrell Suggs (139). But he is 18th all-time in forced fumbles and 16th all-time in TFL (according to Pro Football Reference).

His numbers are strong, but it won’t be on numbers that he gets in the Hall of Fame, but on the impact he made. There is no question he was an all-time level of greatness when he did peak with an NFL Defensive Player of the Year Award, a franchise sack record, and combine that with the success factor of 2 Super Bowl Championships and playing in 4 Super Bowls overall. It helps his case when considering the precedent set of impact over longevity that with inducting Lynn Swann, Kurt Warner, and Terrell Davis. He has the highlight plays to be remembered by and made a stamp on the game.

Never underestimate the value of the signature play to voters either – and Harrison certainly has that.

Argument #5: A Great Story

Harrison’s story is unique in how he was undrafted but went on to achieve all he did. But to add to the mystique, one should consider just how much he struggled early in his career. He was cut 4 times, but he had the resilience to keep trying despite facing personal doubts. He went from a player that Bill Cowher nearly sent home when he showed up late to his first minicamp, to one who will be nominated for the Hall of Fame. His story is one that is inspiring and one day should be shared for NFL immortality while wearing a gold jacket at the podium in Canton.

Thoughts on James Harrison’s Hall of Fame credentials? Share them below.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

As pissed as I am the way he left, he should be in the HOF. Another point for him is they changed the rules to stop him because the opposing players couldn't. They started allowing close line holding around the neck because the opposing players couldn't block him when he came around the corner. Imagine how many sacks he and now Watt would have if they didn't allow opposing players to hold on every damn play.

From 2007 to 2012 there was not another player more dominant on defense.
Also the owner of the greatest Super Bowl play ever. Even SNL did James Harrison.

James Harrison will be a HOFer. If for some un-knownreason he isn't voted in then there is something deffinately wrong with the voting system. Roger Godell made it his personal goal to sabatoge anything STEELERS once the STEELERS voted unanimously against him and his 1st CBA proposal, the ONLY team to vote against him. Vendetta, yes.

How James Harrison left here should not impact his vote into the HOF, take rayray the knife as an example and James never did anything that serious. The rules / refferees / the rog tc.etc. all took part in curtailing him, slowed but couldn't stop him.

Salute the nation

PS

Bill your writing prowless is showing and it won't be long till some paper / web-site / etc makes a play for your services..... but until then I will enjoy your great and well written articles here at this,....... the GREATEST STEELERS web site in the world.

Thank You SIR

Salute the nation

From 2007 to 2012 there was not another player more dominant on defense.
Also the owner of the greatest Super Bowl play ever. Even SNL did James Harrison.

FREAKING HILLARIOUS,..... liked it then and still like it now.!!

Salute the nation

Yes Harrison is the second no brainer from that D

there will be more… ill wager that two of Aaron smith, James farrior, or casey Hampton get in when they hit the veterans committee… they were way too good for way too long and those guys were technical masters that were woefully underrated by the press

Hampton because he was a nose tackle

Smith because he was a space eater that wasn’t about stats,

and Farrior because he was stuck in the shadows of Stabby RayRay…

Yes Harrison is the second no brainer from that D

there will be more… ill wager that two of Aaron smith, James farrior, or casey Hampton get in when they hit the veterans committee… they were way too good for way too long and those guys were technical masters that were woefully underrated by the press

Hampton because he was a nose tackle

Smith because he was a space eater that wasn’t about stats,

and Farrior because he was stuck in the shadows of Stabby RayRay…
Don’t know about that. They aren’t even getting much support now, LC was at least a finalist 2x when panel voted on him.

Harrison should absolutely be in. He was one of the most feared and dominant defenders over a five year stretch and achieved all this while really not getting a chance to start during the prime of his career. I always think a big part of being in the Hall of Fame is whether or not you can tell the story of a successful team or the NFL with or without the player. James Harrison was not only a fixture on a very good Steelers team during his career in Pittsburgh, he was one of the faces of the NFL during this time as well. When you watch the highlight tapes from Harrison's era, he is an essential figure of defensive football and deserves the honor.

Harrison should absolutely be in. He was one of the most feared and dominant defenders over a five year stretch and achieved all this while really not getting a chance to start during the prime of his career. I always think a big part of being in the Hall of Fame is whether or not you can tell the story of a successful team or the NFL with or without the player. James Harrison was not only a fixture on a very good Steelers team during his career in Pittsburgh, he was one of the faces of the NFL during this time as well. When you watch the highlight tapes from Harrison's era, he is an essential figure of defensive football and deserves the honor.
GREAT anology on the "tell the story" part of your post. I like it and may use that from time to time, thank you.

EDIT: The rest of your post is pretty good as well.

Salute the nation

With hindsight—Harrison would have been upgrade over Haggans going back to 2005. He started 4 games 1 in 04/3 in 05 and had 4 sacks, a TD and an INT (when leaped over Tomlinson).

Harrison’s problem was how he struggled to “get it” and Cowher really did consider sending him home right away.

When he got a chance again in 2004–he took over 1000 flash cards to help him learn the defense & didn’t bring tv to training camp. The hard work paid off for him to get the chance

Easy pick for HOF or he should be. One of my favorite players ever. Could have played in any era. The refs had to ignore a lot of holding on him in games. A LOT!He would easily have the NFL season sack record if not for that and busted up a lot of quarterbacks in the process.

Amazing success story, amazing plays that impacted the game, Defensive Player Of The Year, 2 Time Superbowl Champion.

Still want L.C. Greenwood in before him.

they day he signed with the Pats, I burned the 2 jerseys I had of 92. I probably should have waited a few months to let things settle down.

yes he is a undrafted hall of famer. get him in.

ps when he gets in, wonder if he goes in as a Steeler

they day he signed with the Pats, I burned the 2 jerseys I had of 92. I probably should have waited a few months to let things settle down.

NFL players don’t go in as a representative of the team.

That being said, the display at the Hall will put greater emphasis or feature players/coaches/contributors based on the accomplishments/tenure with the team.

So Rod Woodson, who said he’d have gone in as a Steeler, is featured as a Steeler but technically represents Baltimore, San Francisco & Oakland.

Similarly Len Dawson was a Steeler, but as he really was a Chiefs legend, he’s not featured like Bradshaw, and so on…

NFL players don’t go in as a representative of the team.

That being said, the display at the Hall will put greater emphasis or feature players/coaches/contributors based on the accomplishments/tenure with the team.

So Rod Woodson, who said he’d have gone in as a Steeler, is featured as a Steeler but technically represents Baltimore, San Francisco & Oakland.

Similarly Len Dawson was a Steeler, but as he really was a Chiefs legend, he’s not featured like Bradshaw, and so on…
lol I know. it is a long standing joke

I once buried a guy wearing a #92 jersey. I was hoping the family wouldn't call and ask to dig him up and take the jersey off when he signed with the Pats******.

He sent 3 Clowns to the locker room. Two of them in the same game.

harr.jpg

Lest we forget.
slammed.gif

Hell yeah he belongs in the Hall.
I hate Clevehole.