• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is Mike Tomlin’s Seat Warming?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Mike Tomlin has been the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers since 2007, longer than any other active head coach except Sean Payton of the Saints (2006), and of course, the Evil Genius, Bill Belichick of the Patriots (2000). But his tenure in the Steel City could be coming to an end if his team does not reach the playoffs this season. Is Tomlin truly on the hot seat or is this just a contrived media story to create a buzz in the offseason?

It’s hard to argue with success and that is what Tomlin has brought to the franchise. In the 14 seasons under his charge, the Steelers have never had a losing record, and only on three occasions have they gone .500 for the year.

During that time Pittsburgh has seven AFC North titles, a pair of AFC Conference championship banners, and one Super Bowl trophy in Pittsburgh’s two appearances on the NFL’s grandest stage. That’s a tough act for anyone to follow.

But coaching in the NFL is a, “what have you done for me lately”, kind of business and although last year’s 12-4 record was quite an accomplishment, you will recall that they went 11-0 before fading in the stretch by losing four of their last five contests before getting upset, 48-37, in the wild card round by the Browns. It didn’t feel like a 12-4, division-winning season after the way they ended, and coming into this year, it was evident that Ben Roethlisberger had one last gasp of air before hanging up his cleats.

As things stand after a bitter defeat that saw what would have been a historic rally against the Vikings go up in flames, the Steelers are 6-6-1 with a tough row to hoe in front of them. Those who are inclined to make a wager or two would have found that the NFL odds on the Thursday night showdown in Minnesota had Pittsburgh as 3 ½ point underdogs.

Unfortunately, for Steelers fans, they not only lost the game, 36-28, but failed to cover the point spread for their backers. In fact, Pittsburgh has not done well at the betting windows this season having gone 5-8 ATS (Against The Spread) including their loss to the Vikings.

But their remaining schedule is certainly no picnic. Tomlin will have to prepare his troops for the Titans, Chiefs, Browns, and Ravens. Not exactly a stretch run littered with cupcakes but it is what it is and these final four games could determine Tomlin’s future with the club.

One More Season Left?
Tomlin fits well in Pittsburgh and the franchise has thrived under his leadership. And while it pales in comparison to the two decades of excellence enjoyed in Foxboro, Massachusetts, nothing holds a candle to the dynasty Tom Brady and Belichick created, and nothing ever will. It is, of course, an unfair comparison and an absurd standard to hold Tomlin to but what he has done in Pittsburgh certainly ranks him among the best coaches in the league.

Tomlin also has a great deal of empathy with his players and is young enough at age 49 to bridge the generation gap. He has confessed to keeping up with the younger generation’s interests through questions he asks of his 20-year-old son, Dino, which allows him to be a mentor to many of his charges. And although getting along and having a harmonious locker room leads to building a cohesive unit, that unit has to win much more than they lose if an NFL coach wants to retain his position.
Keeping the players’ respect and attention by knowing when to use the hammer is one of the most important requirements for maintaining law and order in the locker room. After an embarrassing 41-10 Week 12 loss to the Bengals, Tomlin was apparently more than animated during the following week as a date with the Ravens loomed.

Defensive end Chris Wormley stated that Tomlin was loud throughout the week, “We got our butts whooped. Anytime you lose by that much and in that fashion, it’s nice to have someone get on your butt a little bit. A guy like me, I appreciate a coach that takes things seriously. That’s what he did.
“As a player and a man, you understand the situation and understand what he’s trying to accomplish this week, and that’s to beat the Ravens,” Wormley said. “If that means he’s got to fire us up a little bit, especially after Sunday’s loss, that’s what he needs to do.”
The Steelers took heed and defeated the Ravens, 20-19, but then came out flat against the Vikings the following week. Ironically, they could have won the game had they displayed the same intensity in the first half as they did in the second. The Steelers mounted a stunning rally after being down 29-0 but ultimately fell, 36-28.
If Pittsburgh does fall short of the playoffs this year, Tomlin could very well be plying his trade elsewhere next year. He will have no shortage of offers, and landing in Chicago in place of the embroiled Matt Nagy could be chief among those opportunities. We will have to wait and see.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Ugh. This thread is such a tease

Unfortunately, I don't think his seat is even lukewarm or room temperature. It still has a nice chill on it. The Rooney's won't move on from Tomlin until he has totally lost control of everything and the team is one of the worst in the league for a couple years.

Tomlin doesn’t even have a seat.

This is nothing more than click bait. As someone mentioned, the genius known as Art II just gave him a three year extension trough 2024 with an option year. Not going anywhere until he totally runs this in the ground then he will walk away from the mess he created. He’s managed to change the entire culture of the organization and now we’re becoming more and more a joke.

Success in Pittsburgh? I guess if you measure success by division titles. I've never bought a shirt that says "Division Champions" and never will.

All I see from Tomlin is years of underachievement and no end in sight.

When they extended him after last season I lost all hope of this. It would have been such an easy clean break. There is only slightly more chance of him coaching another franchise next season then any one of us.

When they extended him after last season I lost all hope of this. It would have been such an easy clean break. There is only slightly more chance of him coaching another franchise next season then any one of us.
If Tomlin does coach another team, I hope it's one of our arch rivals so he can prove how wrong we are 😁

This is nothing more than click bait. As someone mentioned, the genius known as Art II just gave him a three year extension trough 2024 with an option year. Not going anywhere until he totally runs this in the ground then he will walk away from the mess he created. He’s managed to change the entire culture of the organization and now we’re becoming more and more a joke.

SOFT,....................................... top to bottom and all the inbetween.

Salute the nation

I wonder what next weeks thread is going to be

Titan rush without Henrey.!

Tomlin game plan sucks

Black and Gold Bleeds from coaching

O'h Canada where for art thou

So,....... do you think it will snow tomorrow

Salute the nation

Exactly. I wouldn't have given him an extension unless he got to the Super Bowl.
Unless he decides to retire early, he's not going anywhere until his contract is up.
I'll go so far as to say that Canada and Butler will be back next season.

Unfortunately, I don't think his seat is even lukewarm or room temperature. It still has a nice chill on it. The Rooney's won't move on from Tomlin until he has totally lost control of everything and the team is one of the worst in the league for a couple years.
He already has lost control and his seat is secure. I wish the Rooney's would just move to another city and allow Pittsburgh to start all over again with another expansion team - just leave the name and the trophies. No team would be better than this porta potty fire of a team we have now - not even good enough to call it a dumpster fire. They have maybe 10 players good enough to start on another team. The rest would be bench warmers or practice squad at best.

Exactly. I wouldn't have given him an extension unless he got to the Super Bowl.
Unless he decides to retire early, he's not going anywhere until his contract is up.

Oh definately because after all it takes more than one year to install a new offensive system,..... am I right.????

As for Butler, injuries are the excuse and Coach Tomlin needs a scape goat for next year, barring injuties. !!

I quit putting ultimatums on justifying his staying because HE is staying regardless of performance, ........ until that contract terminates.

Salute the nation

I agree particularly Butler who is the perfect numbnuts fall guy.