• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is QB2 Dwayne Haskins’ Job to Lose?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
With the Wednesday morning news of Dwayne Haskins getting the start in the final preseason game against the Carolina Panthers, this raised some eyebrows across Steeler Nation. Pittsburgh Steelers head coach, Mike Tomlin has been adamant about several things throughout the preseason, two of which being that he is not ready to set a final depth chart at any position and every player needs to prove themselves for each roster spot. With that said however, we’ve seen Mason Rudolph take the bulk of the first team snaps in the preseason games, leaving Haskins with the second and third teams. With the offseason extension of Rudolph’s contract paired with him taking the large share of first and second team reps, it was almost as if coach Tomlin saw the second-string quarterback job as Rudolph’s to lose. But with one last week of preseason game preparation and the final wave of cuts looming, who has the upper hand to secure the second quarterback spot? Let’s get into it.

We know there is a multitude of different ways coaches, general managers, and analysts rate and gauge players. Whether if it is numbers, leadership, football acumen, or otherwise, there are so many different variables that play into player comparisons. For sake of argument, let’s look at some basic numbers from the preseason thus far. First, we have Rudolph. In the past three games, Rudolph completed a total of 27 passes of 36 attempts (equating to a 75% completion rate) for 299 total yards (average of 11.07 yards per completion) with no touchdowns nor interceptions. Haskins completed 28 passes of 42 attempts (equating to a 67% completion rate) for 271 yards (average of 9.6 yards per completion) with a touchdown and no interceptions. These numbers tell us that Rudolph is much more efficient in his passes compared to Haskins, but Haskins can get the ball across the goal line. On paper head-to-head, I consider Rudolph and Haskins to be almost equal in production with a slight edge to Haskins. I think coaches would settle for a 67% completion rate over 75% if it leads to touchdowns. However, the quarterback is responsible for leading the team of 11 players down the field. So what about other scoring opportunities?

The only way to win football games is to score more points than the opponent. If the offense can’t score, there is no way of winning, regardless of how good the defense is (look at the 2019 season). Therefore, let’s look at what score totals Rudolph and Haskins have posted. In the span of the last three games when Rudolph was in the game, a total of 9 points were scored. These came in the form of three field goals; no touchdowns to account for. Haskins on the other hand was able to post 36 points when he was on the field. This statistic comes back to what I just mentioned, in that although Haskins has a lower completion percentage and lower yards-per-pass average, his offense is productive on the field.

A final assessment fans rely on most is the eye test. When we watch Rudolph on the field, we tend to see poor pocket awareness, poor judgement on throws, and limited mobility. Just think back to that third-and-short play against the Detroit Lions. Rudolph bypassed an easy completion underneath for a first down in favor of a deep 50/50 ball to JuJu Smith-Schuster that resulted in an incompletion and a field goal attempt. Meanwhile in the fourth quarter on a third-and-five play, Haskins was able to escape the pocket and make a 10-yard run for a first down. Although the eye test is the most basic (and maybe amateur) assessment, it is still very effective, and I give Haskins the edge in that test.

Looking at what we’ve seen in preseason play so far, I like Haskins as the Ben Roethlisberger back-up. Compared to Rudolph, I feel more comfortable seeing Haskins in command of the offense. Who knows, looking into the not-so-distant future, we may see Haskins rise to QB1.

Who do you think wins the QB2 spot? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Literally tge Qb 2 position is already set… You could hear the gears melting in Ponis head on the fan when Brooke Pryor told him she felt Haskins was still trying to make tge squad over Dobbs… lol

The mental gymnastics the Fan hosts have been doing to convince themselves Haskins ever had a shot of being QB 2 was magnificent , especially today

so Haskins got a couple of mop up drives in the most critical preseason game three against the scrubs and will start the scrub only game while both Rudolph and Ben sit for protection, but somehow his performance against the guys who mostly wont be on an nfl squad in a week is going to magically leapfrog him over Rudolph

Literally tge Qb 2 position is already set… You could hear the gears melting in Ponis head on the fan when Brooke Pryor told him she felt Haskins was still trying to make tge squad over Dobbs… lol

The mental gymnastics the Fan hosts have been doing to convince themselves Haskins ever had a shot of being QB 2 was magnificent , especially today

so Haskins got a couple of mop up drives in the most critical preseason game three against the scrubs and will start the scrub only game while both Rudolph and Ben sit for protection, but somehow his performance against the guys who mostly wont be on an nfl squad in a week is going to magically leapfrog him over Rudolph
My understanding is that Carolina will be playing their starters at the beginning of the game, so he'll be facing a top-level defense while having backup running backs, receivers, and o-line (although I hope they at least let the o-line starters have a couple of series together).

Haskins no matter how well he has or hasn't played isn't the right guy right now for in game backup duties using a game plan meant for Ben. With a week to prepare as the starter you could make a possible argument for him to get a start if Ben were down and Mason struggled.

This is satire, right?

Don't you have to have the JOB first before you can lose it ???

Haskins has never had the job and will be the #3 if he makes the roster. I think he does but like I said he will be the #3 and not dress on game day (unless he doesn't count against the 53 which I think that rule has changed).

Salute the nation

Interesting that Laundry Jones the presumed #2 also did not play in the 4th preseason.game a few years ago and then was cut elevating Rudolph to the #2 job. Rudolph is not yet guaranteed the #2 job.

What I'm trying to figure out is why so many people in the Pittsburgh media have such a hard on for Haskins. The guy is a scrub. Rudolph is a scrub. Dobbs is a scrub. Problem is, Ben has come up small in the playoff in recent years, putting up great numbers I guess, but turning the ball over way too many times. Some people would take anything over Ben. But then, some people are stupid. IMHO, the next great Steelers QB isn't on the roster, and may not even be in college yet. Some lean years coming up at that position, I'm afraid. Gonna waste a lot of talent at other positions, unfortunately. Hopefully, Ben has one more great year in him.

What I'm trying to figure out is why so many people in the Pittsburgh media have such a hard on for Haskins. The guy is a scrub. Rudolph is a scrub. Dobbs is a scrub. Problem is, Ben has come up small in the playoff in recent years, putting up great numbers I guess, but turning the ball over way too many times. Some people would take anything over Ben. But then, some people are stupid. IMHO, the next great Steelers QB isn't on the roster, and may not even be in college yet. Some lean years coming up at that position, I'm afraid. Gonna waste a lot of talent at other positions, unfortunately. Hopefully, Ben has one more great year in him.

I'm pretty sure this about sums it up.

I guess we will see in a couple weeks, I personally think he would have gotten at least some #1 reps if this were even slightly a possibility.

Interesting that Laundry Jones the presumed #2 also did not play in the 4th preseason.game a few years ago and then was cut elevating Rudolph to the #2 job. Rudolph is not yet guaranteed the #2 job.
The huge difference there is Rudolph is a 26 year old who counts more against the cap if he gets cut than if they keep him... plus you have to pay another qb on top of that so you lose over a million in cap space... Laundry was a 29 year old that saved almost 2 million by getting cut... he was a pure cap move...

The year Rudolph and Dobbs beat Jones out, Jones barely played at all that preseason... He threw like 13 passes to Mason's 40some... Both Dobbs and Rudolph cost like 700k each and like I said, Jones' contract was structured so cutting him saved them serious cash. you could see it coming from a mile away....

Think QB2 is set
This will however be an opportunity for Haskins surrounded by better talent vs a teams top players

First chance for a decent evaluation is what I’d call it, nothing more

It was never his to lose. He never had it. It's always been Rudolph's spot. Rudolph would have had to fall off a cliff or get injured and Haskins would have had to have an unbelievable camp. He had a good camp but certainly nowhere near enough to think he was going to unseat Rudolph. Ben and Rudolph not playing this week is all anyone needs to know about Haskins current situation. He is being given a chance tonight to win a roster spot for this year and nothing more. Next year, assuming Ben does retire is another story altogether. There probably will be an open competition for QB1 and depending on what happens this year, it could include a 1st round draft pick.

A few days ago Colin Cowherd alluded to Haskins now being the #2.

Well ,..... there you have it. Adam Sheftler says hi

I hear yaz Stewey but some of these talking heads will take a marker out on these non-issue stories to stir the pot so to speak.

If enough **** is thrown against the wall,...... maybe then a kernal will stick.

Salute the nation

Well ,..... there you have it. Adam Sheftler says hi

I hear yaz Stewey but some of these talking heads will take a marker out on these non-issue stories to stir the pot so to speak.

If enough **** is thrown against the wall,...... maybe then a kernal will stick.

Salute the nation

Sounds about right. It was a one liner by him. Made the comment then dropped it, didn't elaborate.

The huge difference there is Rudolph is a 26 year old who counts more against the cap if he gets cut than if they keep him... plus you have to pay another qb on top of that so you lose over a million in cap space... Laundry was a 29 year old that saved almost 2 million by getting cut... he was a pure cap move...

The year Rudolph and Dobbs beat Jones out, Jones barely played at all that preseason... He threw like 13 passes to Mason's 40some... Both Dobbs and Rudolph cost like 700k each and like I said, Jones' contract was structured so cutting him saved them serious cash. you could see it coming from a mile away....
Exactly right. Two totally different situations.

Ben had high praise for both Haskins and Freiermuth.

Which player do yinz think Ben will be wrong about? :unsure::)
I'm hoping he's batting a 1000.

I’ve said it from the start of training camp that if Haskins makes the team, he will be the #3 QB.
Sorry guys, I’m just not impressed with him and don’t believe he’s the eventual starter here. What bothers me the most is his inability to read a defense in what I’ve seen this summer. He’s too quick to just dump it off short rather than progress through his reads. That shows me indecisive decisions and not sure that can be corrected.
Physical skills he has but the mental part I just do not see it.
Maybe he’s maturing and that’s great but he’s not the answer here to eventually replace Ben.

Honestly, I feel this is Haskins opportunity to make the team. There’s no guarantee we keep 3 QB’s and this is likely Haskins opportunity to guarantee himself a paycheck this fall. If he ***** the bed I feel the Steelers might try to stash him on the practice squad.

although Haskins has a lower completion percentage and lower yards-per-pass average, (everything from here on out doesn't matter whatsoever...)

Pretty much the "tale of the tape" right there.