• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kenny Pickett through the first 4 games

Just sucks that now it appears that two other AFC teams have found their franchise QB's (CJ and Levis).

Meanwhile, Pitt homers try to convince everyone that KP needs 8 years before we can properly evaluate his play.

My question to the group- "What teams would swap QB's with us right now?"
Hopefully, Pickett is a late bloomer. I still believe we need to give him until next year. I don't believe Canada returns so at least that excuse can be figured out. His ceiling is a moving target but currently he is projecting to be a game manager starter or high end backup. If I were to guess, and I am emphasizing guess, I would say his careers ends up looking a lot like Teddy Bridgewater.

Levis has had 2 starts? I would not anoint him yet. He looks the part, but teams will adapt. CJ has been pretty impressive especially with ball security for a rookie. There are a few teams that would give Pickett a shot and to flip your question around. Do you really think any of the young QBs mentioned would look good in the Steeler offense To me the jury is still out on Pickett until we see a scheme that fully utilizes all parts of the field consistently. Pickett has been $$ in the 4th so i don't know what changes? The year we won the SB Ben did the same thing. Offense was garbage for 3 quarters and we had to pull it off at the end.

Levis has had 2 starts? I would not anoint him yet. He looks the part, but teams will adapt. CJ has been pretty impressive especially with ball security for a rookie. There are a few teams that would give Pickett a shot and to flip your question around. Do you really think any of the young QBs mentioned would look good in the Steeler offense To me the jury is still out on Pickett until we see a scheme that fully utilizes all parts of the field consistently. Pickett has been $$ in the 4th so i don't know what changes? The year we won the SB Ben did the same thing. Offense was garbage for 3 quarters and we had to pull it off at the end.

I totally agree that its way too early to say Levis is anything at this point. But Franchise QB's typically flash something early in their career, and he certainly did his first game. I would also say that he looked like the better QB last Thurs (or at least comparable at worst).

Re: Young QB's
I think the only young QB's that would look worse here are Purdy and Ridder.
  • CJ would probably put up 40 points a game with our WR. He is already doing more with less.
  • With Levis' arm talent, we would actually be able to utilize Austin (i.e. not underthrow him), and the middle of the field.
  • Bryce Young has a MUCH WORSE line and WR-corp, yet his numbers are comparable to Pickett (while being 4 years younger).
  • Howell- again doing much more with much less. Although you can argue that he has Bienemy.

Just sucks that now it appears that two other AFC teams have found their franchise QB's (CJ and Levis).

Meanwhile, Pitt homers try to convince everyone that KP needs 8 years before we can properly evaluate his play.

My question to the group- "What teams would swap QB's with us right now?"
What teams would swap OCs with us right now? I am sure your QB answer would be somewhat similar. Difference being Kenny has had a short time in comparison to Canada to show he belongs.

I totally agree that its way too early to say Levis is anything at this point. But Franchise QB's typically flash something early in their career, and he certainly did his first game. I would also say that he looked like the better QB last Thurs (or at least comparable at worst).

Re: Young QB's
I think the only young QB's that would look worse here are Purdy and Ridder.
  • CJ would probably put up 40 points a game with our WR. He is already doing more with less.
  • With Levis' arm talent, we would actually be able to utilize Austin (i.e. not underthrow him), and the middle of the field.
  • Bryce Young has a MUCH WORSE line and WR-corp, yet his numbers are comparable to Pickett (while being 4 years younger).
  • Howell- again doing much more with much less. Although you can argue that he has Bienemy.
I dont think any QB is putting up 40 in this offense. I do think that CJ would do the best here, but he also has good young WRs and an offense that utilizes them. Levis's arm talent would be wasted here. He may not have underthrown Austin, but Pickett w/ good ribs may not have underthrown him either. Also that is not a high % pass in general so not necessarily an easy throw for anyone. Carolina is a bad team so it is hard to judge Young. I have not watched him play and I would be curious to see if his numbers came in garbage time or not. I would not say Howell has much more than us. They have 2 good WRs, a pretty good young RB, a very solid TE and like you said a much better OC. To me what seperates Pickett is the 4th quarter. I think the stat was in 2 yrs he is the 2nd highest rated QB in the league only behind Mahomes and has 6/7 game winning drives. You can not get much better than that, and he just needs to get to the point where we dont need the 4th quarter drives to win.

The problem with this team is not player related no matter how many stats you put up.
Offense has been at or near the bottom of every offensive category for three years with three different QB’s including a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

I dont think any QB is putting up 40 in this offense. I do think that CJ would do the best here, but he also has good young WRs and an offense that utilizes them. Levis's arm talent would be wasted here. He may not have underthrown Austin, but Pickett w/ good ribs may not have underthrown him either. Also that is not a high % pass in general so not necessarily an easy throw for anyone. Carolina is a bad team so it is hard to judge Young. I have not watched him play and I would be curious to see if his numbers came in garbage time or not. I would not say Howell has much more than us. They have 2 good WRs, a pretty good young RB, a very solid TE and like you said a much better OC. To me what seperates Pickett is the 4th quarter. I think the stat was in 2 yrs he is the 2nd highest rated QB in the league only behind Mahomes and has 6/7 game winning drives. You can not get much better than that, and he just needs to get to the point where we dont need the 4th quarter drives to win.

To put up 40, you’d have to take risks. O’Canada’a scheme is “anti-risk”, so highly doubt we get 40 anytime soon.

Your reasoning is solid. I do think Pickett is a little weak in the arm, his arm doesn’t seem to be able to utilize CA3 to his full ability. The scheme could also be relevant in that as well.

Salute the nation

Offense has been at or near the bottom of every offensive category for three years with three different QB’s including a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

Coincidentally, Matt O’Canada has been here about that same length of time—————

I’m pretty sure Coach Tomlin has his hands all over things as well. Two lesser minds don’t necessarily equate to one stronger mind.

Salute the nation

I totally agree that its way too early to say Levis is anything at this point.
You agree that it's way too early for you to say Levis is anything, but you just said that "it appears" that the Titans have found a franchise quarterback.

It appears that you're contradicting yourself.

To put up 40, you’d have to take risks. O’Canada’a scheme is “anti-risk”, so highly doubt we get 40 anytime soon.

Your reasoning is solid. I do think Pickett is a little weak in the arm, his arm doesn’t seem to be able to utilize CA3 to his full ability. The scheme could also be relevant in that as well.

Salute the nation
The “Scheme” is ALL Mike Tomlin, Canada is just charged with trying to make it work, and doing very poorly at that.
You don’t have the number of come from behind wins as Ben and KP do, UNLESS, the “scheme” puts you in the hole in the first place.

I wouldn’t want to be “judged” playing under MT, unless you have HOF skills to overcome the coaching deficiencies that have been exhibited over the last 15+ years.

What teams would swap OCs with us right now? I am sure your QB answer would be somewhat similar. Difference being Kenny has had a short time in comparison to Canada to show he belongs.
Are you asserting we have both the 32nd best coordinator AND the 32nd best starting QB?

Definitely won’t argue that, the math seems to support the argument

Their may be one or two bottom feeder scrub QBs playing currently due to injury that KP would be considered an upgrade over but I’m really struggling to find a worse OC

Are you asserting we have both the 32nd best coordinator AND the 32nd best starting QB?

Definitely won’t argue that, the math seems to support the argument

Their may be one or two bottom feeder scrub QBs playing currently due to injury that KP would be considered an upgrade over but I’m really struggling to find a worse OC
Don't know where each one ranks but I would imagine it isn't high. Kenny can still rise. Not sure about Canada.

The “Scheme” is ALL Mike Tomlin, Canada is just charged with trying to make it work, and doing very poorly at that.
You don’t have the number of come from behind wins as Ben and KP do, UNLESS, the “scheme” puts you in the hole in the first place.

I wouldn’t want to be “judged” playing under MT, unless you have HOF skills to overcome the coaching deficiencies that have been exhibited over the last 15+ years.

Excellent post MT-Forged, thank you and for all the great ones along the way.

Careers of very good athletes have been wasted here. Ben should have gotten at least 2 more SBs. they had the talented players, but not enough coaching to get over the hump. Today’s team is in that quail-drum as well.

I’ve said for years, that the STEELERS had arguably the most overall talented teams in the NFL, but Coaching did the least possible with them.

Salute the nation

The Steelers have now gone 56 games 3.5 years without generating 400 yards of TOTAL OFFENSE. Stephen A. Smith on First Take.

You agree that it's way too early for you to say Levis is anything, but you just said that "it appears" that the Titans have found a franchise quarterback.

It appears that you're contradicting yourself.

Not at all.

Sure, its a bit too early to start getting Levis fitted for a gold jacket, but to quote MT, "His arrow is pointing up".

Almost all of the media talking heads have been all over his knob, even after their loss. THIS is the sort of buzz you would hope to have from your potential franchise QB.

The thought occurred that maybe Shades knows his offense and OC aren’t that good so running a low-risk low-reward offense with a decent defense and keep it close at the end is their best shot to win games.
I know, I know, I’m funny as hell.

Ben should have gotten at least 2 more SBs.
I hear this so many times and I respectfully have to disagree on this. I’m sure this won’t be popular. And it’s certainly not all on Ben. Ben had his chances to get more. More than once he put us way, way behind the 8 ball by throwing multiple first half interceptions, some returns for tds others setting up the opponent in easy scoring situations. Forcing us to come from way behind. Taking us out of game plan.
Take away all of the crap he did in the first half of the GB game and we would have won. As it was with a full 2 minutes left to win the game he had a chance to become ultra legendary. Big fail there. Was that all on Tomlin?
Cleveland all on Tomlin? Jacksonville all on Tomlin?

Big Ben was a great QB. He got us there. But for all his great accomplishments, there were also bitter disappointment. It wasn’t all on Tomlin.

Dallas fans lamenting the fact they needed 1 more play. Just 1 more play

Kenny Clutch has has shined brightest in 4th QTR Comebacks & been brilliant when we needed it most.

Kenny Clutch has that Clutch Gene...

6 Fourth Quarter Comebacks, 7 Game-Winning Drives​

RkYearG#DateAgeTmOppResultCmpAttCmp%YdsTDIntRateY/AAY/AAttYdsY/ATDNotes
1202292022-11-1324-160PITNORW 20-10183060.001990079.76.636.638516.381GWD
22022112022-11-2824-175PIT@INDW 24-17202871.431740087.56.216.216325.3304QC / GWD
32022152022-12-2424-201PITLVRW 13-10263966.672441181.66.265.62393.0004QC / GWD
42022162023-01-0124-209PIT@BALW 16-13152755.561681086.76.226.96520.4004QC / GWD
5202352023-10-0825-124PITBALW 17-10183256.252241088.57.007.636-6-1.0004QC / GWD
6202362023-10-2225-138PIT@LARW 24-17172568.002300097.19.209.20800.0014QC / GWD
7202382023-11-0225-149PITTENW 20-16193063.331601088.25.336.001-1-1.0004QC / GWD

Dallas fans lamenting the fact they needed 1 more play. Just 1 more play

Kenny Clutch has has shined brightest in 4th QTR Comebacks & been brilliant when we needed it most.

Kenny Clutch has that Clutch Gene...

6 Fourth Quarter Comebacks, 7 Game-Winning Drives​

1202292022-11-1324-160PITNORW 20-10183060.001990079.76.636.638516.381GWD
22022112022-11-2824-175PIT@INDW 24-17202871.431740087.56.216.216325.3304QC / GWD
32022152022-12-2424-201PITLVRW 13-10263966.672441181.66.265.62393.0004QC / GWD
42022162023-01-0124-209PIT@BALW 16-13152755.561681086.76.226.96520.4004QC / GWD
5202352023-10-0825-124PITBALW 17-10183256.252241088.57.007.636-6-1.0004QC / GWD
6202362023-10-2225-138PIT@LARW 24-17172568.002300097.19.209.20800.0014QC / GWD
7202382023-11-0225-149PITTENW 20-16193063.331601088.25.336.001-1-1.0004QC / GWD
If we are going to soak in the bad we better be able to soak in the good as well.

👍👏

The thought occurred that maybe Shades knows his offense and OC aren’t that good so running a low-risk low-reward offense with a decent defense and keep it close at the end is their best shot to win games.
Shades actually believes that he is smarter than everyone else, and if he just continues doing the same thing it will all work out Fine. If only the players execute properly.

You and I both know that we are watching the greatest coach ever redefine how the game is to be played

The GOAT coach thumbs his nose at this offensive “trend” in the league and is showing the blueprint for the future

Now he’s just showing off how he can screw around for the first 45 minutes and only needs 15 minutes to tap that *** on Sundays

Damn he’s good😎

I think this article is a bit much because they don’t mention Picketts low int ratio since the second half of last season but in terms of getting the ball into the end zone it has some merit. I think the comparison should be directed more towards low risk low reward qbs or game managers.

[URL www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2023/11/kenny-picketts-historically-poor-touchdown-production-puts-him-in-ryan-leaf-company/[/URL]

Says invalid link. Google pickett ryan leaf steelersdepot