• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is Sam Howell In the Second Round More Valuable Than Kenny Pickett In the First?

Howell is a backup quarter in the NFL thats it and that’s all just as Rudy is don’t draft him unless you want a backup

With three guys already on the OL, I think they need to fix this area in free agency and go DL or take one of the very talented CBs. I'd even consider WR in the first.

I continue to ask and have yet to get an answer, who are these exciting QBs next year beyond Young and Stroud? The Steelers aren't getting either of those guys, so who are we getting? The rest of the crop seems very lackluster.
Agreed. The more I have thought about the OL 'issues' - I truly think we have the moolah to fix that in free agency.

What we DON'T HAVE is a #1 WR or a stud blue chip interior DL. Those are the two targets I'd be fixated on. We do not do very well selecting DB's so...find a good one in FA as well...

He is going to be mayfield 2.0…. Brees murray and wilson are on an extremely short list of small qbs that were successful. The vast majority under or around 6’ struggle to make reads. Nothing I saw from Howell this year makes me think he is anything but a waste of a pick…

We should go oline in the first, then BPA between ILB, WR, and DL with the next three picks… draft a qb next year… don’t waste it on this meh crop

He's not Mayfield 2.0. He has a better arm, and is a better runner Much more of a solid build. Upside to fill as a passer. Can't be a worse leader. I'm not saying he will be great but good enough to win games if the talent around his is solid, I think so. Cap friendly for 4-5 years. better than Rudolph for sure. A free agent will cost too much like Wentz will cost too much. I'd love to have him in round two.

I keep hearing everyone say that Pickett gets down graded because he is 24 and only put it all together this year. Who cares, he progressed every year and topped out after a full college career, what more do you want? I look at his extra time as though he did a year in the minors, where he learned and got better. What does it matter if he starts @ 24 or a draft choice @ 22 and then a year or two learning on the bench?

His tools are a late first rounder, and yes he only well on year. Will be over drafted due to a weak qb class.

I don't think none of the rookies are ready to start the cost to trade up with the jets is a 1, 2,3 TO PICK 9 Above the Commanders who probably want to go QB, With our needs I would not give 20, rnd 3 all from this draft, 20, next years 3rd and following years 4th n 6th.
After an impressive SR Bowl Willis is bottom and 1.
I wouldn't mind Matt Corrall, great arm, and mobility over 600 yds a 6 TD rushing. Light frame like Baker Lamar but I see him as a QB that can settle staying in the pocket unlike Lamar, who wants to just run like the young Vick and not want to adapt to the Philly Vick who became a dual-threat legit QB.
Al tough Desmond Ridder had a poor SR Bowl I would not rule him out, another great athlete, prototype frame 6"4 220 and has the big arm and mobility just like Kap after sitting and learning the playbook in a year or 1.5 years should be able to start.
Given MT and M Canada saying they want a mobile QB we can rule out Carson Strong and a vet like Foles and focus on FA QB like trading for Jimmy or signing Mariota , Tyrod

I don't think none of the rookies are ready to start the cost to trade up with the jets is a 1, 2,3 TO PICK 9 Above the Commanders who probably want to go QB, With our needs I would not give 20, rnd 3 all from this draft, 20, next years 3rd and following years 4th n 6th.
After an impressive SR Bowl Willis is bottom and 1.
I wouldn't mind Matt Corrall, great arm, and mobility over 600 yds a 6 TD rushing. Light frame like Baker Lamar but I see him as a QB that can settle staying in the pocket unlike Lamar, who wants to just run like the young Vick and not want to adapt to the Philly Vick who became a dual-threat legit QB.
Al tough Desmond Ridder had a poor SR Bowl I would not rule him out, another great athlete, prototype frame 6"4 220 and has the big arm and mobility just like Kap after sitting and learning the playbook in a year or 1.5 years should be able to start.
Given MT and M Canada saying they want a mobile QB we can rule out Carson Strong and a vet like Foles and focus on FA QB like trading for Jimmy or signing Mariota , Tyrod

I think Willls stats at Liberty a weak non power conference SUCKED and he not ready to play. Rawer than raw he is. His brand of offense is not sustainable. He's not Lamar Jackson as a passer and that's saying something. He did play a game a SEC bottom level team which has by far his best competition. The results was 3 interceptions. And he takes lots of sacks for a " mobile " Qb. No feel for the QB position at all. Where are his big plays as a passer? Tomlin of course loves him.

He's not Mayfield 2.0. He has a better arm, and is a better runner Much more of a solid build. Upside to fill as a passer. Can't be a worse leader. I'm not saying he will be great but good enough to win games if the talent around his is solid, I think so. Cap friendly for 4-5 years. better than Rudolph for sure. A free agent will cost too much like Wentz will cost too much. I'd love to have him in round two.
Oh chyt!!! I'll play!!!

Prove it. Prove that Howell isn't Baker Mayfield 2.0. Again, I'm a college football junkie - watched Howell the last two seasons - 99.9% of the analysts/scouts will tell you that Howell is a clone of Mayfield.

So, prove them wrong...

His tools are a late first rounder, and yes he only well on year. Will be over drafted due to a weak qb class.
You are an early round tool, what a coinkidink. 😁

Johnny come lately welcome to what has been said good and plenty around here. I can't wait for your next cloud of smoke.

Agreed. The more I have thought about the OL 'issues' - I truly think we have the moolah to fix that in free agency.

What we DON'T HAVE is a #1 WR or a stud blue chip interior DL. Those are the two targets I'd be fixated on. We do not do very well selecting DB's so...find a good one in FA as well...

Jordan Davis it is then!!!!!

I highly doubt Davis falls to 1.20---but if he does---GET HIM!!!

Homer hat off but I'm serious, if Jameson Williams is there at 1.20 (and I'm the Steelers FO) we'd all streak to the podium with his card.
Because that injury is the only reason he would be available at 1.20. Not the same injury but similar to how Heath fell. His sports injury caused his slide.

Either of the players mentioned is an upgrade. That is really what they need to focus on.

Let free agency solve some of the problems so they don't have to reach in the draft.

I highly doubt Davis falls to 1.20---but if he does---GET HIM!!!

Homer hat off but I'm serious, if Jameson Williams is there at 1.20 (and I'm the Steelers FO) we'd all streak to the podium with his card.

Berm, don’t know if you saw Mcshays 2.0, but he had Jameson going 27 to TB. Is he a receiver really worthy of OUR first pick? Asking for a friend 😉

Yes, bruh, yes...

Interesting. I never thought of WR being a top option for us this year. He must be amazing. I don’t watch a lot of college football so that’s a name I’m gonna start watching out for as we go through the pre draft process.

Interesting. I never thought of WR being a top option for us this year. He must be amazing. I don’t watch a lot of college football so that’s a name I’m gonna start watching out for as we go through the pre draft process.
He would be our Mach 5 a real demon on wheels.

I just did some reading and realized he’s the kid who got hurt in the championship game. That explains why he’s available in the back end of that mock. Will he be available to play come September?

I just did some reading and realized he’s the kid who got hurt in the championship game. That explains why he’s available in the back end of that mock. Will he be available to play come September?
That is a million dollar question.

Yes, bruh, yes...

Can he catch / high point / combat / & block on any given play ? If he is our 1st round pick he had better be complete WR and no project but YES immeadiate starter.

berm / slash, what say ye to this ?

Salute the nation

Colbert going back to his detroit days is one best GMs drafting receivers. ya he's had few clinkers but he's damn good and one of the best. And im sure no one has to tell him how good Jameson Williams is either. With his size and speed he is perfect for the modern game. he's a burner but physical enough to beat man to man and take it all the way. He's also he's a total zone killer like the other bama Boyz. he's a fast Cooper Kupp. He played for and was fought over by to of the best programs in college, bama and Ohio State. Colbert knows taking a qb saddling the team with a dud wasting a pick won't do much for his legacy. Just maybe Williams misfortune could be our fortune with his injury dropping him down just far enough for Colbert to nab him. Would be a great to end his time with Steelers drafting a HOF receiver. When you put on the black and gold any thing is possible. Go Steelers!

He is going to be mayfield 2.0…. Brees murray and wilson are on an extremely short list of small qbs that were successful. The vast majority under or around 6’ struggle to make reads. Nothing I saw from Howell this year makes me think he is anything but a waste of a pick…

We should go oline in the first, then BPA between ILB, WR, and DL with the next three picks… draft a qb next year… don’t waste it on this meh crop
I agree. That’s why I’m personally not pushing up QB’s on my big board to fill a need. I wouldn’t doubt 2-3 quarterbacks go in round one but I pray we aren’t taking one. If we trade back and pick up a few more picks and could still land Pickett or Howell late first or early second I’d be ok with it. Use the extra picks to fill holes and help surround Pickett or Howell with some talent. But yes, if we stay at #20 OL, DL, CB, WR and perhaps S and LB are all bigger needs.

Damn!!! When your high/low end ranges from Big Ben to Jamarcus Russell that’s a large grey area! 🤣
Cole Kelley plays at Southeastern Louisiana and is 6-6 245lbs. He threw for 5,124 yards 44/10 but albeit against not the greatest competition. He’s the epitome of boom or bust. His ceiling is high because of his physical physique and gaudy stat line. But the odds of him translating from SE Louisiana to the NFL are slim to none.

Our situation might actually be ideal if we sign a vet and let Rudolph battle it out for the starting position. Maybe a season or two on the PS then another one or two as backup might season him enough to compete in a handful of years. But if you throw him in as a starter year one he’s going to be ate alive and ruin any possibilities of developing him.

Can he catch / high point / combat / & block on any given play ? If he is our 1st round pick he had better be complete WR and no project but YES immediate starter.

berm / slash, what say ye to this ?

Salute the nation
We will get the negative out of the way his blocking isn't a strong suit. But this guy has an elite gear and is athletic. He is a capable route runner. I think you can develop him as a wall off type blocker. His contested catches will be quick breaks and leaving you in his dust. But his bread and butter on Sundays will be making teams sweat taking the top off coverage like no other WR on the roster. A Claypool - Williams duo could be lethal.