• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is Sam Howell In the Second Round More Valuable Than Kenny Pickett In the First?

I agree. That’s why I’m personally not pushing up QB’s on my big board to fill a need. I wouldn’t doubt 2-3 quarterbacks go in round one but I pray we aren’t taking one. If we trade back and pick up a few more picks and could still land Pickett or Howell late first or early second I’d be ok with it. Use the extra picks to fill holes and help surround Pickett or Howell with some talent. But yes, if we stay at #20 OL, DL, CB, WR and perhaps S and LB are all bigger needs.
Like i said before… ill root for anyone we draft, and there are a few of the qbs i think might have a chance of being something…. But nothing surefire and it would really make me much happier if we just waited until someone way better is available

Cole Kelley plays at Southeastern Louisiana and is 6-6 245lbs. He threw for 5,124 yards 44/10 but albeit against not the greatest competition. He’s the epitome of boom or bust. His ceiling is high because of his physical physique and gaudy stat line. But the odds of him translating from SE Louisiana to the NFL are slim to none.

Our situation might actually be ideal if we sign a vet and let Rudolph battle it out for the starting position. Maybe a season or two on the PS then another one or two as backup might season him enough to compete in a handful of years. But if you throw him in as a starter year one he’s going to be ate alive and ruin any possibilities of developing him.
Sixth and seventh rounders are built for boom or bust projects… the problem with low round qbs is that nobody gives them any real shot… even if he turns out to be great, people will be begging them to replace him every year

Sixth and seventh rounders are built for boom or bust projects… the problem with low round qbs is that nobody gives them any real shot… even if he turns out to be great, people will be begging them to replace him every year
The patience of your average NFL fan in 2022 is about as long as a tiktok video. Everyone thinks these kids should walk out of college and be pro bowlers. Mason Rudolph is a prime example of this. He has progressed every year but no one is giving him a chance. I mean imagine if the packers would have given up on Rodgers while he sat in the wings waiting for Favre to be finished. Not saying Rudolph will be Rodgers just saying at least Rodgers got a shot.

We will get the negative out of the way his blocking isn't a strong suit. But this guy has an elite gear and is athletic. He is a capable route runner. I think you can develop him as a wall off type blocker. His contested catches will be quick breaks and leaving you in his dust. But his bread and butter on Sundays will be making teams sweat taking the top off coverage like no other WR on the roster. A Claypool - Williams duo could be lethal.

Thanks slash and with our WR room a little short I can see the alure of this guy. It will come down to what they do in FA add ons. If we could get a OL & ILB then there would be room in the 1st / 2nd / 3rd but stud "Trenchwarfare" needs addressed as well. Can't go into this season similar to last or we will be watching groundhog day all over again.

Some think if Tuitt returns all is well yet don't want to face how long it will be for him to get into football shape and timing. I look at Tuit as being depth until proven otherwise thus the need at DL as part of the "trench warfare" need.

Thanks again

Salute the nation

I just finished my RB report. Obviously, RB isn’t the biggest need but with Ballage a FA, McFarland a bust, and Snell in the final year of his contract it might be prudent to draft a backup/3rd down back.

Can he catch / high point / combat / & block on any given play ? If he is our 1st round pick he had better be complete WR and no project but YES immeadiate starter.

berm / slash, what say ye to this ?

Salute the nation
Williams can do all of that. There are plenty of games on YouTube you can watch from last year that justify my beliefs...

I just finished my RB report. Obviously, RB isn’t the biggest need but with Ballage a FA, McFarland a bust, and Snell in the final year of his contract it might be prudent to draft a backup/3rd down back.
The RB I want and pray we target - James Cook from GA...

Williams can do all of that. There are plenty of games on YouTube you can watch from last year that justify my beliefs...

Your word is good with me !!!

The RB I want and pray we target - James Cook from GA...

Was that the RB from the National Champion Bulldogs? (just essing with yaz)

Salute the nation

He's more valuable in the 2nd than Pickett in the 1st if, and only if, he ends up being a better QB than Pickett. When you're looking for your next franchise QB, it doesn't really matter what round you get him in as long as he lives up to the part. We got a "1st rounder" in the 3rd round with Rudolph but he hasn't lived up to that billing. More often than not, your franchise-type QB's will come in the 1st round. We are drafting for a starting QB, not a backup so if you don't feel very confident Howell will be a significant starter for years to come in the NFL, then you don't draft him in the 2nd. We still have way too many needs than to waste a premium pick on a backup QB. You get your backups in the later rounds.

I’d say Mason looks an awful lot like/ on par with several of the top rated QBs coming out. I’d roll with Mason/Haskins this year and address QB next year with what in all likelihood will be an early pick.

I just don’t see much of an upgrade between Mason and Pickett, Coral, Ridder, Howell and the rest of the slappys coming out.

I’d say Mason looks an awful lot like/ on par with several of the top rated QBs coming out. I’d roll with Mason/Haskins this year and address QB next year with what in all likelihood will be an early pick.

I just don’t see much of an upgrade between Mason and Pickett, Coral, Ridder, Howell and the rest of the slappys coming out.
Amen. Topseed is gonna crucify you for this🤣🤣🤣

It’s a pretty sad indictment of the whole QB class the way Malik Willis has shot up draft boards. He may have a rocket of an arm and wheels taboot but a QB needs to be able to go through progressions and possess accuracy as well to be able to ascend to the top in the NFL.

I do fear we grab Howell at 20, not sure I can endure that pick and man do I hope this fear is unjustified

It’s a pretty sad indictment of the whole QB class the way Malik Willis has shot up draft boards. He may have a rocket of an arm and wheels taboot but a QB needs to be able to go through progressions and possess accuracy as well to be able to ascend to the top in the NFL.

I do fear we grab Howell at 20, not sure I can endure that pick and man do I hope this fear is unjustified
I'm not big on any of the QBs this year, but I will be able to at least manufacture some hope for a few of the guys

-Willis has a great arm and is a playmakers with his legs. He needs to improve on his progressions, but he can make the big plays down field.
-Pickett is the most pro ready and can make every throw. He still has some happy feet in the pocket, but with good talent around him he'll have you in the playoffs every year.
-Ridder is another experienced player. I see him somewhere between Pickett and Willis. The potential is there, he just needs to tap into it.
-Strong is a statue by comparison to these guys and does not make plays on the run. However, when he has time he has a big arm and is accurate.

I just can't get excited with Corral or Howell at all.

He's not Mayfield 2.0. He has a better arm, and is a better runner Much more of a solid build. Upside to fill as a passer. Can't be a worse leader. I'm not saying he will be great but good enough to win games if the talent around his is solid, I think so. Cap friendly for 4-5 years. better than Rudolph for sure. A free agent will cost too much like Wentz will cost too much. I'd love to have him in round two.
i want nothing to do with him, i just don't see what you're seeing. and given your track record around here, i trust my instincts.

Got to remember your drafting “prospects” I haven’t watched Willis enough but if he has rocket arm and good wheels he’ll draft him develop him Coach him up. I like Williams and would draft Williams cause we NEVER get to draft a blue chip anything… and willams is blue chip! we got Watt cuz the badgers wasted a year trying to make him a tight end. Usually we have to make due with whoever falls out of the top. Williams freak injury may be enough to cause him to tumble to us. That would be sweet cause we need a point of emphasis on the offense with Ben gone and DJ ain’t that.

Got to remember your drafting “prospects” I haven’t watched Willis enough but if he has rocket arm and good wheels he’ll draft him develop him Coach him up. I like Williams and would draft Williams cause we NEVER get to draft a blue chip anything… and willams is blue chip! we got Watt cuz the badgers wasted a year trying to make him a tight end. Usually we have to make due with whoever falls out of the top. Williams freak injury may be enough to cause him to tumble to us. That would be sweet cause we need a point of emphasis on the offense with Ben gone and DJ ain’t that.
I would run to the podium for Williams, though I don't know about not getting blue chippers. Watt's testing numbers were outstanding. Pouncey and DeCastro were at the top of their position groups. Devin Bush was a blue chipper. I'm just concerned because this draft could fall and the top 3 tackles, Linderbaum, top 4 receivers, top 3-4 CBs, top guard, and Jordan Davis could all be gone by 1.20.

Totally recognize they are prospects
Have zero confidence of us “develop him Coach him up” though

We may need to start building like the Rams do, known commodities only

Outside of Munch working with the OL I have seen very little coaching up occurring, and sadly Munch is long gone

Hopefully Flores can bring in a little of this concept

The good news about the draft is it’s deep. Not a ton of elite prospects but if the Steelers did grab a QB in the first they could still get a quality OL in the second and a good wr prospect in the third.

The good news about the draft is it’s deep. Not a ton of elite prospects but if the Steelers did grab a QB in the first they could still get a quality OL in the second and a good wr prospect in the third.
I prefer they do the damnedest to fill all the holes in free agency. Just upgrade upgrade upgrade. Then they can go BPA at the weakest positions like they normally do. Not sure QB brings that value at 20.

That’s the wise plan Slash. If we can set ourselves up for drafting BPA by knocking free agency out of the park it can be about getting value rather than desperately grabbing at needs.

Do you grab a FA to compete with Mason?
If so who’s your top couple ideas?

We have to grab a FA QB we only have 2 on the roster, Dobbs is a FA, and we go into TC with 4.

That Alabama WR looks a lot like AB. We already have a Pro Bowl X WR in DJ, so I'm not sure where he'd fit unless he can play the slot. You usually don't draft slots in the 1st round, but his athleticism will be a mismatch if drafted.

We have to grab a FA QB we only have 2 on the roster, Dobbs is a FA, and we go into TC with 4.

That Alabama WR looks a lot like AB. We already have a Pro Bowl X WR in DJ, so I'm not sure where he'd fit unless he can play the slot. You usually don't draft slots in the 1st round, but his athleticism will be a mismatch if drafted.
Yes agreed....

We could use that type of skill set in the room though

A sleeper with those skill sets is Bo Melton - Rutgers....will be available late.

Although, I would like Dotson in 2nd if he lasts that long..

Last edited:
That’s the wise plan Slash. If we can set ourselves up for drafting BPA by knocking free agency out of the park it can be about getting value rather than desperately grabbing at needs.

Do you grab a FA to compete with Mason?
If so who’s your top couple ideas?
Trubisky and Winston. Not overly in love with either but probably the best of an uninspiring group of UFAs. I think one way or another the team brings in a QB. How bad this offseason looks at QB in the draft and free agency (Unless someone comes available) I really think next season the switch will flip for free agency ( unless a group gets extended) and the draft. (Top heavy)

Also as I mentioned in one thread the desired QB size will be plentiful next draft and with a year more of experience I think there will be some names to add to the top two QBs that I think will go one and two overall.