• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

It's been said................"The Greatest Play in SB History"

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Article talks about James Harrison's interception return for a TD, in the SB.

It's a VERY good read as it gives some of Arizona's perspective on the game / play.

Article can be found here on the home page steelernation.com

What say Ye my fellow STEELERS fans, is it the greatest play in SB history?

Salute the nation

It's hard for me to decide.
While the Harrison pick 6 was a possible 14 point swing in favor of the Steelers , the Ben/Holmes TD pass in the final minute was the actual game winner.
Could they both be the greatest Steeler SB plays?

What about the Pats interception at the goaline to win the SuperBowl against our new field general?

Just "throwing" it out there ...........like Russell did .. :oops:

While the Harrison pick 6 was a possible 14 point swing in favor of the Steelers , the Ben/Holmes TD pass in the final minute was the actual game winner.
I'm glad both plays benefitted us. Easily the greatest defensive play in Super Bowl history and definitely one of the best offensive plays. For me, Ben's TD pass to Holmes will always be No. 1.

Yeah me too, but after a little thought I'd give it to Harrison. While there have been a lot of great catches in SB history, that 99 yd. return stands out. Those are pretty rare. So rare it's never happened before.

Last edited:
For grins I Googled the top 10 catches in SB history.

Holy cow!
This link gives the Steelers 3 spots among the top 10 catches in SB history....
Santonio #2

This one gives the Steelers 2 spots among the top 10.

Santonio #1 !

So with Harrisons play this means the Steelers could arguably own the top 2 spots among the greatest plays in SB history!

The legacy this team has left is unmatched.

How many greatest plays do the cheating bastages have????? After all aren’t they the greatest team ever ???

How many dynasty players have made the HOF? (Not even close to backing up a true dynasty)

Yes, they definately had “help” from the league / filming / Ernie / deflated footballs and many more…………

I’m only bringing this into the discussion as it shows truely how great the STEELERS really were, HONESTLY.

Salute the nation

The question was greatest in SB history not Steelers history. I would give Harrison the greatest in SB history. He was dead tired towards the end of the run but dogged it out for the td. For Steelers SB history I give it to the Harrison int and td plus Ben/Holmes pass for win. Ben should have been MVP for that SB.

It’s the greatest Super Bowl play of all time and one of the greatest plays (Super Bowl or otherwise) ever. The stakes were huge as the clock had expired. It took (seemingly) forever to play out. I really didn’t think he’d make it but he did

Possibly a close second to the Immaculate reception. The immaculate reception was, well, immaculate, but it wasn’t a 14 point all-or-nothing swing.

Yeah me too, but after a little thought I'd give it to Harrison. While there have been a lot of great catches in SB history, that 99 yd. return stands out. Those are pretty rare. So rare it's never happened before.
I agree. Remember watching the game,was on pins and needles because the whole momentum had changed. Pitt jumped to a 10-0 lead,I thought everything was great and then Arizona started to come back. Scored a TD 10-7 and then Ben throws an interception on Steelers 30 yd line with 2 minutes left in half. Harrison put us up 17-7 with all the momentum rather then them up 14-10 and getting the ball first in the second half.

I can remember 6 plays where I jumped around and acted like an idiot.
One was Troy’s int against Baltimore. Never heard the stadium erupt like that ever. It was incredible.
Two was Jerome Bettis fumble against Indy which almost gave me a heart attack,then the Ben tackle.
Three was the shank. That Indy game had it all.
#4 was the James Harrison pick &rumble. Greatest return in the history of the NFL. All heart.
#5 was The Catch. The best thrown pass & catch for all the marbles in the history of the NFL. Super clutch from Ben and Santonio.

#6…I was just a kid and the Steelers were my team. Franco’s int and TD cemented me to be the diehard Fan I am today.

I agree. Remember watching the game,was on pins and needles because the whole momentum had changed. Pitt jumped to a 10-0 lead,I thought everything was great and then Arizona started to come back. Scored a TD 10-7 and then Ben throws an interception on Steelers 30 yd line with 2 minutes left in half. Harrison put us up 17-7 with all the momentum rather then them up 14-10 and getting the ball first in the second half.

I can remember 6 plays where I jumped around and acted like an idiot.
One was Troy’s int against Baltimore. Never heard the stadium erupt like that ever. It was incredible.
Two was Jerome Bettis fumble against Indy which almost gave me a heart attack,then the Ben tackle.
Three was the shank. That Indy game had it all.
#4 was the James Harrison pick &rumble. Greatest return in the history of the NFL. All heart.
#5 was The Catch. The best thrown pass & catch for all the marbles in the history of the NFL. Super clutch from Ben and Santonio.

#6…I was just a kid and the Steelers were my team. Franco’s int and TD cemented me to be the diehard Fan I am today.
You can also add Jack Lambert body slamming Cliff Harris after Gerela missed a FG in Super Bowl X. 😁 That forever cemented the tone for the franchise.