• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

It's the debt stupid

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
This has been a fear of mine from the get-go but nobody seems to care. What happens when the bubble does pop ?
Tackling the debt isn't popular, I get that, but not addressing the problem at all is even worse.

Is The ‘Mother of all Bubbles’ About to Pop?
Written by Ron Paul

Even though the federal deficit is already over one trillion dollars (and growing), President Trump and Congress have no interest in cutting spending, especially in an election year. Should he win reelection, President Trump is unlikely to reverse course and champion fiscal restraint. Instead, he will likely take his victory as a sign that the people support big federal budgets and huge deficits. None of the leading Democratic candidates are even pretending to care about the deficit. Instead they are proposing increasing spending by trillions on new government programs.

US consumer debt — which includes credit cards, student loans, auto loans, and mortgages — now totals over 14 trillion dollars. This massive government and private debts put tremendous pressure on the Federal Reserve to keep interest rates low or even to “experiment” with negative rates. But, the Fed can only keep interest rates, which are the price of money, artificially low for so long without serious economic consequences.

According to Michael Pento, the Fed is panicking in an effort to prevent economic trouble much worse than occurred in 2008. “It’s not just QE,” says Pento, “it’s QE on steroids because everybody knows that this QE is permanent just like any banana republic would do, or has done in the past.”

Congress will not cut spending until either a critical mass of Americans demand they do so, or there is a major economic crisis. In the event of a crisis, Congress will try to avoid directly cutting spending, instead letting the Federal Reserve do its dirty work via currency depreciation. This will deepen the crisis and increase support for authoritarian demagogues. The only way to avoid this is for those of us who know the truth to spread the message of, and grow the movement for, peace, free markets, limited government, and sound money.
http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archive...11/is-the-mother-of-all-bubbles-about-to-pop/

DRUS07-16-12-2.png

bfe5bb2a9eb5c0e96b198c472a1a89d5.jpg

I don't think anyone even views it as real money. You cant see it or touch it. Most everyone in America is doing pretty good, so no one cares. Let them eat cake. **** is going to bury us eventually, and even then, no one will address the problem. Everyone will just blame the other side.

I don't think anyone even views it as real money. You cant see it or touch it. Most everyone in America is doing pretty good, so no one cares. Let them eat cake. **** is going to bury us eventually, and even then, no one will address the problem. Everyone will just blame the other side.

We're a consumer society, being programmed through advertising that we can't live without the latest phone, luxury SUV, side by side ATV, a trip to the Galapagos Islands, etc.

The government is no different, offering expensive programs to garner votes.

14 trillion in consumer debt?

Other than a mortgage, I finance nothing, and even that is paid off ASAP. You'd be surprise how much can be saved, and easier your life is, if you're not in debt.
Got to admit though, after all these years, I still can't get the wife on board.

Last edited:
Other than a mortgage, I finance nothing, and even that is paid off ASAP. You'd be surprise how much can be saved, and easier your live is, if you're not in debt.
Got to admit though, after all these years, I still can't get the wife on board.

Exactly. I paid off my house a few months ago. It's great to live debt free.

And Trump is pressuring the Fed to lower interest rates.

And the left want to make everything ******* free. It's funny.

**** aint changing until a constitutional convention and we get a balanced budget ammendment in. They'll never do it themselves. They think your money is theirs. The same goes for term limits.

I guess ill just have to wait until the **** hits the fan.

It’s the universal suffrage stupid.

Even Republican voters vote for the spending:

We have people that aren’t net tax payers in the majority now and they vote for the Gubmint Gibs.

This has been a fear of mine from the get-go but nobody seems to care. What happens when the bubble does pop ?
Tackling the debt isn't popular, I get that, but not addressing the problem at all is even worse.

I have said it for years - this nation has already fallen off the cliff. We just haven't hit bottom yet.
I can't promise that it is a long-term benefit, but there is a reason that I live in rural Wyoming now, and not So Cal anymore. When it hits the fan, I am quite a few steps later in the cycle for concern by the globalist interests.

I can't find a way to feel OK about the government spending history. It's just wrong, and not going to stop until it hits the fan. The DJfan thinks he'll be OK, though.

The Blitz family is 4 years away from being completely debt free. Our plan is to move somewhere into the middle of the nation and live as comfortably as possible. Have never had a credit card not paid off monthly. Hopefully the kid pick up on this as well.

Exactly. I paid off my house a few months ago. It's great to live debt free.

We paid off two, then sold them and are carrying the loan. The first was sold to a family that had EXCELLENT references, but were under a mountain of medical debt due to a child born with HUGE medical issues. They have been the poster child for dependability. Since they have never been able to refinance, we are getting 9% interest on the loan for the past 25 years. The 2nd was a somewhat similar situation. And over the years the buyers have asked us to extend the loan to reduce their payments. Since they had a spotless record, we gladly did it for them. Those extensions will make us almost an ADDITIONAL 85 grand by the end of the loan.

I'm shocked at the degree of callousness displayed when the debt is mentioned in Washington......especially on the left but both sides are guilty.

Over the past half-century, fiscal rules in the United States have failed to constrain debt, allowing debt to grow at an unsustainable rate. Citizens have some confidence in the ability of their local governments to balance the budget and limit debt, but they have lost confidence in the ability of state and national governments to pursue prudent fiscal policies. In the United States, we have experienced declining dynamic credence capital.

Especially alarming is the virtual absence of serious discussions of debt in Congress and in the presidential elections. In the Democratic debates, some candidates have bought into the myth that pie-in-the-sky spending programs can be financed by printing money or taxing the wealthy.

Keynesian economists seem to have convinced politicians and citizens to stop worrying and learn to love the debt. Perhaps a reality check will help wake up citizens the risk that high levels of debt pose for our future. A pessimistic conclusion is that we must wait until we fall off a fiscal cliff in the next financial crisis before citizens will wake up the risks of high levels of debt. The instability experienced in other highly indebted countries during the recent financial crisis suggests that this is not a risk worth taking.
https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2019/11/fixing_the_debt_a_reality_check.html

341227_F0A740cb.jpg

The Blitz family is 4 years away from being completely debt free. Our plan is to move somewhere into the middle of the nation and live as comfortably as possible. Have never had a credit card not paid off monthly. Hopefully the kid pick up on this as well.

I'm happy for your success Blitz but unfortunately some families are not so lucky. We have a great-nephew that was born with multiple major health issues and his parents will never be in a position to be able to clear their debt monthly let alone anytime in their lifetime. They are getting ready for a new round of operations, transplants and infusions where our whole family will have to tighten up to weather the fiscal storm.

Hey... It's just the cards they were dealt. Some people are just more fortunate than others.

I'm happy for your success Blitz but unfortunately some families are not so lucky. We have a great-nephew that was born with multiple major health issues and his parents will never be in a position to be able to clear their debt monthly let alone anytime in their lifetime. They are getting ready for a new round of operations, transplants and infusions where our whole family will have to tighten up to weather the fiscal storm.

Hey... It's just the cards they were dealt. Some people are just more fortunate than others.

That's where we are at. Mrs. Fan took very ill for four years. She's not 100% yet, but back at work. In the meantime, we spent our early 50s pilling up debt, and having low income. That was after she piled up student loans to get her BA in accounting. We sold darn near everything, and started over. We only have the student loan debt, her car (used) and our house debt now. We're tight, but doing well. Only problem is we are about 400 years away from being debt free.

We've decided to pay off the cars, and pay extra on the house. The student loans can rot for all we care. We'll try to maintain them, but not too worried. We keep hoping that when the US crumbles, no one will be around to take inventory of what we owe, and so we will be debt free. Dead, but debt free.

That's where we are at. Mrs. Fan took very ill for four years. She's not 100% yet, but back at work. In the meantime, we spent our early 50s pilling up debt, and having low income. That was after she piled up student loans to get her BA in accounting. We sold darn near everything, and started over. We only have the student loan debt, her car (used) and our house debt now. We're tight, but doing well. Only problem is we are about 400 years away from being debt free.

We've decided to pay off the cars, and pay extra on the house. The student loans can rot for all we care. We'll try to maintain them, but not too worried. We keep hoping that when the US crumbles, no one will be around to take inventory of what we owe, and so we will be debt free. Dead, but debt free.

Yeah, I hear ya. This young family is behind the eight ball before they even get started and that's without a college education. I'm going to see if I can post this situation and seek more help if possible. Things are at the breaking point right now.

Good luck to you and the family DJ

Be careful with those loans. If they are federal loans they can come after you. Not saying they will but they can. If they are federal they can't be bankrupted either. They can put a lean against your house or garnish your wages.

Yeah, I hear ya. This young family is behind the eight ball before they even get started and that's without a college education. I'm going to see if I can post this situation and seek more help if possible. Things are at the breaking point right now.

Good luck to you and the family DJ

Thanks to Justin, I can share the plight of this young fella.

Any help yinz can give will be rewarded in Heaven.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/robbie039s-heart-fund

Be careful with those loans. If they are federal loans they can come after you. Not saying they will but they can. If they are federal they can't be bankrupted either. They can put a lean against your house or garnish your wages.

We get that. We just have to make decisions based on priorities. They get nickles and dimes from us. Just not the 8 zillion dollars a month that they want.

We get that. We just have to make decisions based on priorities. They get nickles and dimes from us. Just not the 8 zillion dollars a month that they want.

Good move. You might look into a hardship deferral.

The Constitution is flawed, one generation should not be able to pass it's taxes onto the next generation, like is happening now.

The Constitution is flawed, one generation should not be able to pass it's taxes onto the next generation, like is happening now.

It was fine util some one changed it. So stop trying tochange it.

Now there is something we can agree on, there should be a mandatory balanced budget tied to Congressional salaries. Budget overruns come out of political salaries and office expenses. New expenditures only come with reductions to current projects.

6d9eISy.png