• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Jason Worilds

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, the only way Worilds gets more than 6m per year on the open market, is if Arizona or Tenn need help at OLB. This "rest of the league thinks" is pretty inaccurate. Maybe outside of Pittsburgh's MEDIA thinks, but you can tell what other teams think about Worilds by how they play against him. Show me a team that doubled him, then show me how many left a TE to block him. Hell, some didn't even plan to block him at all.

It's smart to let him test the market, I don't think anyone is going to overpay for his services. And if he does sign somewhere else, while it leaves us INCREDIBLY thin at OLB, it's not leaving us in a much worse case.

ark steel

Reaction score
IMO, the only way Worilds gets more than 6m per year on the open market, is if Arizona or Tenn need help at OLB. This "rest of the league thinks" is pretty inaccurate. Maybe outside of Pittsburgh's MEDIA thinks, but you can tell what other teams think about Worilds by how they play against him. Show me a team that doubled him, then show me how many left a TE to block him. Hell, some didn't even plan to block him at all.

It's smart to let him test the market, I don't think anyone is going to overpay for his services. And if he does sign somewhere else, while it leaves us INCREDIBLY thin at OLB, it's not leaving us in a much worse case.

But if he is NOT average-at-best, why would AZ or TN take him? They BOTH have coaches that know him from close up and they would still take him AND pay him big money to do so?

ark steel

Reaction score
Regardless of what happens with JW, I think it is a mistake not to resign Moats. I liked the signing when we made it last year and I was happy with his play.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I think we should let Worilds walk. Re-sign Harrison and Moats and maybe, I know crazy talk, maybe sign Woodley to a 1 year deal with incentives.

Supersteeler

Reaction score

I can't remember which media outlet it was that someone posted the other day, but whichever one it was, they had him as the #10 Free Agent available this year. Agree or disagree but somebody is seeing something. One of those somebodies is going to pay him.

EDIT: I just went back and found it. Pro Football Talk Top 100 Free Agents. Worilds was 10 overall and the 2nd ranked OLB behind Houston.

Last edited:

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
But if he is NOT average-at-best, why would AZ or TN take him? They BOTH have coaches that know him from close up and they would still take him AND pay him big money to do so?

Dick LeBeau loves Worilds, and AZ loves anything that used to be a Steeler. Tenn has the money to pay him more and could easily do so to put him out of our reach.

I can't remember which media outlet it was that someone posted the other day, but whichever one it was, they had him as the #10 Free Agent available this year. Agree or disagree but somebody is seeing something. One of those somebodies is going to pay him.

EDIT: I just went back and found it. Pro Football Talk Top 100 Free Agents. Worilds was 10 overall and the 2nd ranked OLB behind Houston.

One site that his him as the #10, several others that have him ranked much much lower. And we aren't talking about player ranks, but FA ranks, and again these are MEDIA rankings, not TEAM GM rankings.

A prime example of my point, in 2012 the top ten free agents according to Sporting News:

1. Peyton Manning
2. Vincent Jackson
3. Mario Williams
4. Matt Flynn
5. Carl Nicks
6. Brandon Carr
7. Marques Colston
8. Cortland Finnegan
9. Michael Bush
10. Carlos Rogers.

Media lists of FA rankings are about as reliable as mock drafts, and some of you here are treating them as gospel, like because of his ranking on a random list it guarantees him top money in FA this year.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Dick LeBeau loves Worilds, and AZ loves anything that used to be a Steeler. Tenn has the money to pay him more and could easily do so to put him out of our reach.

One site that his him as the #10, several others that have him ranked much much lower. And we aren't talking about player ranks, but FA ranks, and again these are MEDIA rankings, not TEAM GM rankings.

A prime example of my point, in 2012 the top ten free agents according to Sporting News:

1. Peyton Manning
2. Vincent Jackson
3. Mario Williams
4. Matt Flynn
5. Carl Nicks
6. Brandon Carr
7. Marques Colston
8. Cortland Finnegan
9. Michael Bush
10. Carlos Rogers.

Media lists of FA rankings are about as reliable as mock drafts, and some of you here are treating them as gospel, like because of his ranking on a random list it guarantees him top money in FA this year.

OK then. I'm just saying that someone out there thinks he is in line for a big payday. You're not buying it obviously and that's ok. I guess the proof either way will be how fast and for how much he gets signed.

ark steel

Reaction score
Dick LeBeau loves Worilds

My question is "Why?".

If all these people can see Worilds is below average, why would someone with 50+ years of experience be so in love with the guy or even show any interest in signing him? Because he reads ProFootballTalk to get his information? Especially, if that person has absolute first-hand knowledge of how that player has played his entire career. DL wouldn't just going off of game film, other coaches recommendations or media hype.

It is only speculation that TN would be interested in Worilds at this point, right? Has there been any verification of that?

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
If you are a crappy team and/or you are in a crappy city you'll have to overpay FAs to lure them in

Vader

Reaction score
My question is "Why?".

If all these people can see Worilds is below average, why would someone with 50+ years of experience be so in love with the guy or even show any interest in signing him? Because he reads ProFootballTalk to get his information? Especially, if that person has absolute first-hand knowledge of how that player has played his entire career. DL wouldn't just going off of game film, other coaches recommendations or media hype.

It is only speculation that TN would be interested in Worilds at this point, right? Has there been any verification of that?

Sometimes in football coaches think they can make a guy better than he is. It happens all the time. Why would Tomlin start a horrible player in Scott over Starks? He'd seen Starks win a SB with Cowher and he had seen Scott totally suck in camp. But there he is... Scott getting destroyed on opening day.

ZACKB

Reaction score
They plan to re-sign Morgan. If Graham leaves I could def see the Eagles make a play for him. I still think he is average.

QUOTE=ark steel;108460]My question is "Why?".

It is only speculation that TN would be interested in Worilds at this point, right? Has there been any verification of that?[/QUOTE]

ark steel

Reaction score
Sometimes in football coaches think they can make a guy better than he is. It happens all the time. Why would Tomlin start a horrible player in Scott over Starks? He'd seen Starks win a SB with Cowher and he had seen Scott totally suck in camp. But there he is... Scott getting destroyed on opening day.

I don't disagree with your first statement, to an extent. My quibble would be that DL has significantly more experience than Tomlin and has way more first-hand knowledge of JW than Tomlin had of Starks or Scott.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
OK then. I'm just saying that someone out there thinks he is in line for a big payday. You're not buying it obviously and that's ok. I guess the proof either way will be how fast and for how much he gets signed.

Of course Worilds is going to get a big payday. Anyone who doesn't see that just doesn't know **** about NFL free agency. Worilds check all the boxes...he's still young, he's played enough snaps to be something of a known commodity, he plays a premium position and he is not good enough to earn the franchise tag (or the transition tag for a 2nd time) or for his original team to extend him before he hits the open market. That's the formula.

Of course, the NFL free agency formula also mandates that Worilds will be cut after either 1 season or 2 seasons with his new team. That team will need the cap space so they can make another dumb free agent acquisition and/or that team just hired a new coach who runs a different system that is a poor fit for Worilds.

Vader

Reaction score
I don't disagree with your first statement, to an extent. My quibble would be that DL has significantly more experience than Tomlin and has way more first-hand knowledge of JW than Tomlin had of Starks or Scott.

That doesn't say much for Tomlin. However, it still doesn't take away the fact that familiarity with players is a great motivator to bring them in. How many players from Detroit did Colbert bring in when he first came to Pittsburgh? Some sucked ***. Larry Tharpe anyone?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Unless this belongs in the "How Stupid Is Colbert?" thread, but local sports radio has Colbert hinting around that they will let Worilds test the market and not tag him. In other words, we've called around and don't think anyone will offer him significantly more than we will.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Unless this belongs in the "How Stupid Is Colbert?" thread, but local sports radio has Colbert hinting around that they will let Worilds test the market and not tag him. In other words, we've called around and don't think anyone will offer him significantly more than we will.

Burgandy, my heart tells me to let that happen. I really don't think / want them to tag JASON WORILDS. Test the market, then hopefully he gives us a chance to sign him. If not, we got alternatives.

Salute the nation

freak

Reaction score
worilds was a tomlin's pick , i read after the draft that he was in love with him in college , (one of the best first step he never saw in a de ) maybe that's why we are still talking about him ...do you remember how many years we kept sylvester (lb draft in later round that was only a special team guy ) ? tomlin say he was his personal choice too (i remember this world ..here it comes my man stevenson sylvester ...)hmmm the fish stinks from the head

SlashSteal

Reaction score
here is my numero uno with Woirlds

in a contract year he was slightly above average at best

knowing players usually stand out in that year, he was forgettable

for a 3/4 OLber that is concerning

for me we have seen his best and I came away unimpressed

I am hoping the Steelers do not overpay two years in a row for less than impressive play

LmJKH9E.png

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
That doesn't say much for Tomlin. However, it still doesn't take away the fact that familiarity with players is a great motivator to bring them in. How many players from Detroit did Colbert bring in when he first came to Pittsburgh? Some sucked ***. Larry Tharpe anyone?

What does it say about Cowher? If bringing in all those Detroit guys was so bad. Cowher let him right?

jdell

Reaction score
Worilds will test the market and be around the McPhee price range(8-9mill/year) and the Steelers will make a play for one of them. That price for them may seem high and it is, but they need to sign a starter in free agency. Moats will more than likely be back for a relatively cheap deal even if Worilds is signed. He could be an average stopgap if need be but will better serve as a top backup. I'm hoping Dupree falls to 22 even if they sign Worilds.

Vader

Reaction score
What does it say about Cowher? If bringing in all those Detroit guys was so bad. Cowher let him right?

I was talking about two different things. Tomlin had first hand knowledge of Starks and Scott. Cowher listened to his personnel guy who had intimate knowledge of Detroit players. I'm not blaming Tomlin for listening to his quasi boss. I'm blaming him for his first hand knowledge of players and his willingness to start a horrible player in Scott over a SB winning OL in Starks.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score

You sir, are forgetting the Constitution of this site. Article II paragraph I subsection 300 states that:

"William Laird Cowher is a football god. No member of Steelernation.com shall in any way disparage his legacy. In any discussion regarding Mike Tomlin, you must point out that Cowher did 'this' or 'that' in a different (read 'better') manner and ignore Cowher's faults (as he had none).

If discussing draft misses, you must point out Tomlin's misses/failures in a disparaging manner and never mention the names Jamain Stephens, Ricardo Colclough, Alonzo Jackson, Scott Shields, Troy Edwards, Anthony Smith, Steve Conley, Paul Wiggins, Jeremy Staat, Chris Conrad, Nathaniel Adibi, Hank Poteat, 'Famous' Amos Zerouway and any other draft choice who, because of their own personal shortcomings (and not poor draft evaluation) did not contribute to the team in the manner in which Coach Cowher anticipated.

Failure to hold Coach Cowher (may his spittle land gently on your cheek) out as the epitome of a Steelers coach in any way will lead to the 'ban hammer'."

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I was talking about two different things. Tomlin had first hand knowledge of Starks and Scott. Cowher listened to his personnel guy who had intimate knowledge of Detroit players. I'm not blaming Tomlin for listening to his quasi boss. I'm blaming him for his first hand knowledge of players and his willingness to start a horrible player in Scott over a SB winning OL in Starks.

You mean like '04, when Cowher started the season with journeyman Maddox when Ben had outplayed him during camp? Or possibly Cowher's decision to force Troy Edwards into the lineup over Hines Ward? Point being "ALL" coaches make these type of mistakes even Lord William Laird Cowher.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Truly think we go committee at LOLB this year. Try to re-sign Moats, move Harrison over so Jarvis can have the year to advance and then draft a 1st or 2nd round pass rusher. We need to address this early in the draft with DBs not so deep this year. We need to go sign a UFA starting DB with this extra cash and I hope that's our play. Sounds like from reports that Troy is coming back for one year. This hurts us in the secondary as Troy became a liability. We will need Troy to play deep and not free-lance as much. Hopefully he splits time with Shamarko so Troy doesn't wear down over the season. We're very close to turning over this roster from the old glory days. We just need the right pieces to turn the corner and get back into the dance.