• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Joe Flacco

FordFairLane

Reaction score
So Joe has thrown for 311 3/1 (pick was receivers fault) and 254 2/1 and the Browns just put him back on the practice squad. I am surprised after this last game they did this. I understand they can do it three times before having to sign him to the 53 man but this also opens up an opportunity for us or another team to sign him. If I am the GM I IR Kenny and sign Joe.

Hmmm? I read that the Browns named him starter for rest of season...and from what I saw, rightfully so.

Last edited:
Not really disagreeing but Vikings thought they struck gold with Dobbs and benched him this weekend.
Not disagreeing with the premise...but the Vikings OL might just be worse than ours, and the Vikes WR's couldn't catch VD at a ***** house. Hard to evaluate anyone under center for that team.

I don't know what it is, but once a QB has been on another team for a long time, I just can't envision them as a Steeler. Flacco, Rodgers, Russell Wilson, etc. Even Mahomes. That's my problem, but I can't shake it for some reason.

I want our own QB like we had with Ben - which is why I had such high hopes for Kenny.

Not disagreeing with the premise...but the Vikings OL might just be worse than ours, and the Vikes WR's couldn't catch VD at a ***** house. Hard to evaluate anyone under center for that team.
Regardless. Hard to imagine they bench him in this run and sign him to a starter contract next season.

Someone asked who we could sign UFA had we not drafted Kenny and went OL like we should have....well......

If he is on the PS, He is probably one of their two protected guys and we can’t sign him… they probably will wait until ps callups are exasperated after next game to sign him to the 53, this way they don’t cut someone then have an injury cause a shortage at that spot…

If he is protected, nobody can sign him… and even if he wasn’t… he would have to want to leave… he has a better chance at the playoffs with the Browns than the Steelers…

Radio reporting that Bert threw more TD’s in two games than KP has all season.

If he is on the PS, He is probably one of their two protected guys and we can’t sign him… they probably will wait until ps callups are exasperated after next game to sign him to the 53, this way they don’t cut someone then have an injury cause a shortage at that spot…

If he is protected, nobody can sign him… and even if he wasn’t… he would have to want to leave… he has a better chance at the playoffs with the Browns than the Steelers…
he's not on their practice squad; the browns made him starter for the remainder of the season

Seeing Joe Flacco on the Browns is one thing, seeing him on the Steelers would be wild.

Maybe so, but it would give us a better shot And better QB-ing play. 4 games if he didn’t get killed, could be worth a shot but we both know it will never happen.

I just hope they gave poor red nose some reps this bye week……………

Salute the nation

Someone asked who we could sign UFA had we not drafted Kenny and went OL like we should have....well......
that would be me - and you never offered Flacco's name until yesterday at 5:30

Lol apparently according to schefter, both things are true… he said that the Browns named him the starting qb the rest of the season, but he also reverted back to the PS as soon as the next official week started…

He also said that Facco would refuse to sign with any other team…though that would be the most Browns thing ever…

that would be me - and you never offered Flacco's name until yesterday at 5:30
Didn't realize I had to offer a name. Clearly our FO reached when they could have filled the slot much better than they did with a wasted first rounder and then over paying Mitch.

Lol apparently according to schefter, both things are true… he said that the Browns named him the starting qb the rest of the season, but he also reverted back to the PS as soon as the next official week started…

He also said that Facco would refuse to sign with any other team…though that would be the most Browns thing ever…

Really? That's strange. You'd think there be some sort of rule against throwing your listed starting QB on the practice squad like that

Really? That's strange. You'd think there be some sort of rule against throwing your listed starting QB on the practice squad like that
I think it’s all a technicality. He will be officially signed to the active roster this week or next.

The current rule for the PS is that out of the 16 players, you can have up to six veterans with more than 2 years of experience on it.

You can call up 2 players per week to the active list. This can be used on a specific player 3 times per year. After that they must be signed to the active roster to play on Sunday

The rule they put in for covid where you can protect four players per week from being signed is still active… so team’s can’t just steal anyone anymore…

Flacco isn’t really playing for a paycheck.. more the opportunity to start again, so the Browns are utilizing him on the PS for tge first 3 weeks to save a roster spot.

It’s actually pretty smart. This gives them some flexibility until he absolutely has to be signed on to the roster.

So if they would have just signed him straight to the active roster and cut another position, then an injury hit at that position, they would likely have lost a backup already trained in their scheme.

By stalling on signing him, it allows them to keep options open so they have tge best idea of where they stand injury wise when they have to make a move.

Lots of teams, including us, have used starters off the PS.. but i think the Browns using starting QBs off the PS is pretty novel lol… i don’t think the risk that used to be there for doing this is as high as it would be if that protection rule wasn’t in place…