• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

JPJ concussion issues, not 1st round material at OC?

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score

Not sure, DK says JPJ too high at 20. Does have concussion history, which as we know from Webster's history, not a good thing for a C. Some say Frazier is the pick for OC in the 2nd round, I'd be OK with that. As long as we don't wait too long and end up with a player who won't be ready week 1. If we went RT in the 1st followed up with Frazier in the 2nd, I'd be fine with that. OL would start to look solid finally. Then go for WR and NT in 3rd or maybe CB. BPA. We shall soon see.

We need to kill this draft, every bit as well as last year. Keep Shades' influence to a minimum.

Frazier in 2nd or our first pick in third?
I’m just not a huge fan of JPJ at 20 overall..

As always i am a fan of trading down if you get close to the pick with multiple options still on the board like there should be... i think there isnt a ton of difference between the 20th and the picks through the 30's for what we want..

As always i am a fan of trading down if you get close to the pick with multiple options still on the board like there should be... i think there isnt a ton of difference between the 20th and the picks through the 30's for what we want..
I am with you. trade back in 1st and still get a starter on oline

I'm for trading down and getting more picks UNLESS a generational talent is available we can't pass up. There are maybe 2 players in this years draft that are that sure and only one OT and one CB maybe.

The problem with picking a OC in the first round is there is nobody close to a guaranteed starter this year WHICH means you don't know if your getting a Billy Price, or a Ryan Kelly with your pick. Price was rated higher than all OC prospects this year by Zierlein (who, IMO, does a decent job of OL evaluations) and Price couldn't get a starting job. Kelly, is a stud though and rated lower. Cesar Ruiz and Cam Erving are two more examples...one turned out good the other not so much.

More picks means the opportunity for more hits, IMO.
Half of the OTs that will be taken in the first round will be just average or worse according to history. Mims and Latham are not sure things either. Why waste a #1 on an average player...get more picks!

This is without considering which OL will work well in a wide/outside-zone scheme too.

Graham Barton MIGHT be worth the pick in the first only because you SHOULD get the best IOL in the draft...maybe not the best OC the first year but he could start at OG and we can push Daniels to OC for his last year. (he played OC in college and some in Chicago too). He was rated as the best "zone IOL" coming out so he has movement skills, more so than our back-up plan of Nate "marshmellow" HerBIG. At $4M/yr. He could be a better fill-in at G until Graham is ready. NO OT is gonna play much this year if we draft at #20, imo. We might be better off getting Patrick Paul (2-3), Goncalves (3-5) or Foster (4-5) as most OTs in this draft have trouble with being "move/Zone" blockers OR are good at it but cannot anchor in pass-pro.

"OC" stands for offensive coordinator where I come from. "C" would suffice for the center position. There is no such thing as a defensive center, so you don't need the "O" for any reason.

And BTW, I love the kid from WVU; he's going to start at C in the NFL for 10+ years.

"OC" stands for offensive coordinator where I come from. "C" would suffice for the center position. There is no such thing as a defensive center, so you don't need the "O" for any reason.

And BTW, I love the kid from WVU; he's going to start at C in the NFL for 10+ years.
Sorry my friend but there IS a DC right? I will correct my nomenclature so as not to offend your delicate sensibilities :ROFLMAO: BTW, I TOO prefer the WVU kid but worry about the outside-zone scheme setting him back...that wrestling background helped many a C but it works better in a phone booth. The possibility of running more stretch/outside zone limits the position to guys that can block/stick on the move. We sucked at zone runs last year but that may be the coaching rather than the players as our Gs and Cs all had experience in wide-zone prior to coming here 🤷‍♀️

I’m trying to remember the last time the Steelers traded down in the first round? I remember they traded down when they took Eric Greene 30+ years ago.

I’m trying to remember the last time the Steelers traded down in the first round? I remember they traded down when they took Eric Greene 30+ years ago.
casey Hampton year?

My nephew play o line college ball. He says Frazier is fools gold. Just saying.

I don't expect anyone from this draft to be starting C from day 1. I'd be surprised if they would even make a contribution to the C position this season. If it does happen I'd consider us extremely fortunate.

It's something that needs to be addressed next draft for sure. Hopefully there's some blue chip picks then. The position will be an open wound again this season from the looks of it. I don't want us to reach for something that likely isn't there. I'd much rather us address other needs - we have many.

defintely can see that trade being proposed if Brian Thomas is available at 20.
I think moving back and getting a second second round pick is a worthwhile gambit... that gives us three picks in the area the best concentration of quality guys in the positions we probably are targeting are at... sucks we lose the fourth rounder, but definitely worth it

If yiu can get a good centre in rd 2 get him there even if you have to give up sone late fill to get. Round one is too high for centre anyhow.

If yiu can get a good centre in rd 2 get him there even if you have to give up sone late fill to get. Round one is too high for centre anyhow.
we aint gots no "centre" in merican football. we gots centers. though @Hines57 calls 'em centaurs because he's missing multiple chromosomes.

I don't expect anyone from this draft to be starting C from day 1. I'd be surprised if they would even make a contribution to the C position this season. If it does happen I'd consider us extremely fortunate.

It's something that needs to be addressed next draft for sure. Hopefully there's some blue chip picks then. The position will be an open wound again this season from the looks of it. I don't want us to reach for something that likely isn't there. I'd much rather us address other needs - we have many.

If that's the case, Russell best be practicing touching his toes, shotgun snap.

Salute the nation

Do any of you listen to Williamson and Lolley? They seem to think there is good talent at center later in the draft and we likely look that direction.
The Drive is must listen for me on SNR.

Sorry my friend but there IS a DC right? I will correct my nomenclature so as not to offend your delicate sensibilities :ROFLMAO: BTW, I TOO prefer the WVU kid but worry about the outside-zone scheme setting him back...that wrestling background helped many a C but it works better in a phone booth. The possibility of running more stretch/outside zone limits the position to guys that can block/stick on the move. We sucked at zone runs last year but that may be the coaching rather than the players as our Gs and Cs all had experience in wide-zone prior to coming here 🤷‍♀️
Yeah, there IS a DC...that would be the defensive coordinator. The opposite of the OC. For another example, there are both offensive and defensive tackles -- thus they are abbreviated as OTs and DTs. Or even if they are both on offense, it's RT and LT, used to distinguish what side of the line that they're on. But there's only one center on the field, so everybody knows what "C" stands for. My sensibilities are just that -- sensible.

Your concern about the Steelers' blocking scheme is legitimate, but I think Frazier is versatile enough to adapt. Hopefully we'll get to find out.

Sometimes when we type ***** on these boards, the sense of humor doesn't read the way you want. No "offense" intended topseed.

I think Frazier is a perfect fit IF we run a power/gap scheme. I just think Smith is going to run a scheme where blocking on the move is more of a requirement of the linemen.

I think Beaux Limmer is almost as good as Humphrey was in the SEC but I think a safer bet might be Nourzad who can play in either scheme and certainly can play G as well. He is my sleeper pick if we miss early. We will need Gs in the next two years and picking up late picks is paramount to developing some early replacements.

Graham Barton MIGHT be worth the pick in the first only because you SHOULD get the best IOL in the draft...maybe not the best OC the first year but he could start at OG and we can push Daniels to OC for his last year.
I know Barton is getting a lot of play as our 1st round pick, but does he seem too slender to anyone else besides me? He's listed as 6-5, 313 LBs and looks pretty slim for an IOLman.

I know Barton is getting a lot of play as our 1st round pick, but does he seem too slender to anyone else besides me? He's listed as 6-5, 313 LBs and looks pretty slim for an IOLman.
Well I am pretty happy with his 40 and head size, so there is that. Tell him to eat some extra bacon that’ll help.