• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Justice Kennedy to step down

Uhm, care to answer the question? That decision was brought by Mitch McConnell, surely he'll choose the same path this time around. What's fair is fair for the benefit of American voters. This is still a democracy, is it not?

Based on precedent set by the Dems. They just don't like it when their own tactics get used against them.

But it rarely happens because most Repubs are weak willed. Just say mean things about them and they cave and "compromise".

How many Rep nominated SC candidates have the Dems blocked and the Reps withdrew for a compromise candidate? Quite a few. How many have the Reps blocked? I can't think of any. Kagan wasn't even a judge at any level. Not even a practicing attorney. Reps still approved her.

This is why Trump has Dems so crazy. He doesn't play their game. He doesn't stay on their leash.

36254912_10104212415921945_34510831022505984_n.jpg

Trey Gowdy, come on down.

Stop. Just. Stop. Is this really where we are? Jeanine Pirro? I know her husband is well connected to Donald Trump. He has also been jailed for tax evasion, false tax returns and bribes. No thanks.

party pooper.jpg

I gotta admit, though. It wouldn't surprise me one bit. She has at least as much experience as Elena Kagan.

Stop. Just. Stop. Is this really where we are? Jeanine Pirro? I know her husband is well connected to Donald Trump. He has also been jailed for tax evasion, false tax returns and bribes. No thanks.
Those traits alone will push her to the top of the list for the Trump regime.

Flake: I Won't Hold Up SCOTUS Pick In Order To Force Tariff Vote

Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) said Wednesday that he would not hold up President Donald Trump’s nominee to fill retiring Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy’s seat as leverage in his push to get a vote on the President’s tariffs.

“There are lots of folks out there who assume because I’ve not been in line with lots of the President’s policies, and certainly haven’t condoned his behavior, that I should oppose everything, every one of the President’s nominees or whatever,” Flake told the Arizona Republic. “I’ve never taken that position.”

“I certainly wasn’t anticipating a Supreme Court vacancy, but it’s unaffected,” he added.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livew...-up-scotus-pick-in-order-to-force-tariff-vote

RTS1LUG2-770x433.jpg

Here are top potential Supreme Court nominees to replace Justice Kennedy

Brett Kavanaugh, former Kennedy clerk

180628091954-judge-brett-kavanaugh-file-exlarge-169.jpg

Kavanaugh was a late add to Trump's list of potential nominees, but many believe the 53-year-old judge who sits on the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit might be the favorite.

He was born in Washington, DC, and served in the George W. Bush administration. He also served as a lawyer for Kenneth W. Starr during the investigation concerning President Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky.

Amy Coney Barrett, former Notre Dame professor

180628102446-02-amy-coney-barrett-exlarge-169.jpg

A former clerk to Scalia, Barrett was Trump's pick for a seat on the 7th US Circuit Court of Appeals. Born in 1972, she served as a professor of law at her alma mater, Notre Dame.

During her confirmation hearing, she had a contentious exchange with Senate Judiciary Committee ranking member Sen. Dianne Feinstein, a California Democrat, who asked her about past writings concerning faith and the law. At one point, Feinstein asked Barrett if the "dogma lives loudly in her." Supporters of Barrett suggested Feinstein was attempting to apply a religious litmus test to the nominee.

Raymond Kethledge, former Kennedy clerk

180628114124-raymond-kethledge-exlarge-169.jpg

Kethledge, 51, is a former clerk to Kennedy who currently sits on the 6th Circuit. He served for one year as counsel to Ford Motor Co. and is a native of Michigan.

Amul Thapar, McConnell favorite

180628092211-judge-amul-thapar-file-exlarge-169.jpg

Thapar, 49, was handpicked by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell to serve as the US attorney for the Eastern District of Kentucky. In 2006, he went on to a seat on the US District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky.

Trump nominated Thapar to the 6th US Circuit Court of Appeals in 2017. He was born in Michigan and served in government as well as private practice. In 2007, Thapar was the first American of South Asian descent to be named to an Article III federal judgeship.

Thomas Hardiman, runner-up for Gorsuch seat

180628092331-judge-thomas-hardiman-file-exlarge-169.jpg

Hardiman, who serves on the 3rd US Circuit Court of Appeals, has a personal story that appeals to the President. The 52-year-old judge was the first in his family to graduate from college, and for a time he drove a cab. Born in Massachusetts, he attended the University of Notre Dame as an undergrad and then went to Georgetown University Law Center.

Sources said he was the runner-up for the Gorsuch seat.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/27/politics/trump-supreme-court-names/index.html

Likely Hardiman, as he was second in line for the seat Gorsuch took. Can't imagine Trump's opinion of him changed.

I want Mike Lee but I doubt Trump selects him. I would not want anyone who clerked for Kennedy. I don't want to risk another surprise like Souter. I'm good with Hardiman.

36340414_10216767848849274_273789609475833856_n.jpg

I want Mike Lee but I doubt Trump selects him. I would not want anyone who clerked for Kennedy.

You know who clerked for Kennedy? Neil Gorsuch. I don't know if who they clerked under is as important as their record or their adherence to upholding the constitution.

Likely Hardiman, as he was second in line for the seat Gorsuch took. Can't imagine Trump's opinion of him changed.

A Boston Mass guy? I dunno about Harduman. What is his record?

A more sure thing would be Cavanaugh who worked with Bush and went after Clinton with Ken Starr. He sounds more conservative to me. A sure thing

Expect the Dems to do everything they can to block this, so why not pick the sure thing since whomever Trump picks will be their public enemy #2, behind Trump himself

It's fun to watch the Democrats right now. They literally can not do ANYTHING to stop this before fall. Nothing.

It's not a matter of if, but when the nominee gets confirmed. And it's going to happen much quicker than all the liberals and media are going to like (so queue the meltdown, sky-is-falling, doomsday narrative).

The Dems absolutely need this to drag out to the midterms....the concept that they might be able to block an appointment absolutely can mobilize votes for them....