• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kenny Pickett through the first 4 games

Exactly great fit both ways… that made up for Lance, who just refused to play within the system
Great point on Lance. He was a tough evaluation given so little playing time in college. When it came to QB DNA, he had all the physical attributes you could ask for, but as you said he didn't operate within the 49ers system.

WTH with the debating about QBs?

IF I'm racing your Porsche, or your Camaro, or your beat-up POS in MY golf cart...WTF difference does it make who is faster?

Steelers have had a golf cart offense for YEARS (even before Canada) so we aren't evaluating anyone fairly, IMO.

From Rudy to Mitch to KP, they all might be better than most, we just may never find out!

At least we know the truth now about the KP to GP TD pass. KP called the audible for the play and the audible for the protection. They implemented/allowed it during practice and KP used it to perfection. About damn time they let him audible.

At least we know the truth now about the KP to GP TD pass. KP called the audible for the play and the audible for the protection. They implemented/allowed it during practice and KP used it to perfection. About damn time they let him audible.
Still not 100 percent sure Canada okay,'d it. His reaction remains odd.

All of those other QBs have a better OL than Kenny. I'd say that two of them have better WRs. Of those two, one has a better receiving TE also. They also all have a better OC than Kenny.
I'm not too happy with Kenny's production/regression myself. But, this is a case where stats don't tell the whole story.
Objective vs subjective. Howell is on pace to break the NFL single season sack record with nearly 100 and 29 already. Broderick Jones has started his career off second all time with his pff rating at LT. I don't know how you can say we don't have weapons with Pickens, A-Rob, CA3, Heyward, Freiermuth, DJ, Warren.

I am just posting the factual numbers. Opinions don't trump stats. Sorry.

Outside of Purdy being an outlier, the 2022 draft class is demonstrating why they were so lowly rated. Then again, I don't think this year's class was all that good either, but physical freak of nature (Richardson) and huge arm (Levis) pushed a couple of mid rounders way up the draft board.
2022 was not a good QB year and 2023 besides Stroud wasn't either. Stroud was my only QB rated as a first round pick the last two seasons.
Purdy isn't doing this with every team in the league. As you said, he landed in the perfect situation and it doesn't matter if he's a system QB because he is excellent in that system. Not every QB could go out to San Francisco and be as productive as he is.
Well, Jimmy G and Trey Lance definitely couldn't do what he has done. People make every excuse in the book for why Pickett isn't doing well and then make every excuse in the book why Purdy is. I will tell you this. I read an article that some inside the Steelers organization wanted Purdy in 2022 in the 6th round. If the Steelers drafted Purdy over Chris Oladokun and Purdy got a start in this offense he would do light years better than Pickett. His accuracy is elite, his pocket presence is of a veteran, and his escapability while keeping his eyes down field, and disseminate information quickly is very Drew Brees-esque.
Exactly great fit both ways… that made up for Lance, who just refused to play within the system
Trey refused to play in the system? So he just said, "No, Kyle! I refuse to run your offense!" Or more likely he tried to run the offense, and read the defense, and find the soft spots in the zone, and identify the single coverages and just couldn't do it as effectively as Purdy.

Objective vs subjective. Howell is on pace to break the NFL single season sack record with nearly 100 and 29 already. Broderick Jones has started his career off second all time with his pff rating at LT. I don't know how you can say we don't have weapons with Pickens, A-Rob, CA3, Heyward, Freiermuth, DJ, Warren.

WE HAVE THE MEATS!, err weapons.

So do we pin the blame for the Pittsburgh Arby's poor offense more on the offensive line or more on coaching?

Your choice if it was up to you...fire the o-line or fire the coaching. Pick one.

Still not 100 percent sure Canada okay,'d it. His reaction remains odd.
It was an audible. Apparently, they put it in during practice in anticipation of using it during the game. At least that's what it sounded like KP said. KP called the audible for the play and the protection on the play. Canaduh may not have expected him to do it but he used the audible and executed it to perfection. There should be more of it moving forward especially with DJ coming back and opening things up a bit more. DJ will be back in a game or two to get 8 to 10 targets per game and GP will still get his targets but more from the big play side of things.

WE HAVE THE MEATS!, err weapons.

So do we pin the blame for the Pittsburgh Arby's poor offense more on the offensive line or more on coaching?

Your choice if it was up to you...fire the o-line or fire the coaching. Pick one.
Canada is really nothing worse or better than Haley or Fichtner. All love the short plays. Everyone had their useless infatuation with a certain play. Canada and his jet sweep, Fichtner and his bubble screen, and Haley and his midget back wheel route. The real difference has been execution. Ben in 2018 was 36 and still pretty spry. In 2019 he messed up his arm and was never the same. He was probably 75% of the QB he was in his prime. That was still good enough to put up decent numbers but he wasn't ever going to lead the NFL in passing yards again. An elite QB can put a team on their back. I would not consider Purdy elite as of now but who knows in 2 years where he is rated. He could be the next Drew Brees. A guy like Mahomes or Allen can take a team and just carry them and that has been proven. What did Reid do before Mahomes? He was a very good coach but now people are calling him the best ever. Well, he was good with a good QB like McNabb. He is elite with an elite QB like Mahomes. Look at Belicheat. He was the greatest coach in history when he had Brady. Brady leaves and turns the bucs into a super bowl winner and Belicheat just got beat like a redheaded step child in back to back weeks.

I guess what I am saying is I have not seen anything that indicates KP will be a Mahomes or Allen. We will see in a year or two because I don't think the Steelers won't give him every opportunity to develop.

I am just posting the factual numbers. Opinions don't trump stats. Sorry.

2022 was not a good QB year and 2023 besides Stroud wasn't either. Stroud was my only QB rated as a first round pick the last two seasons.

Well, Jimmy G and Trey Lance definitely couldn't do what he has done. People make every excuse in the book for why Pickett isn't doing well and then make every excuse in the book why Purdy is. I will tell you this. I read an article that some inside the Steelers organization wanted Purdy in 2022 in the 6th round. If the Steelers drafted Purdy over Chris Oladokun and Purdy got a start in this offense he would do light years better than Pickett. His accuracy is elite, his pocket presence is of a veteran, and his escapability while keeping his eyes down field, and disseminate information quickly is very Drew Brees-esque.

Trey refused to play in the system? So he just said, "No, Kyle! I refuse to run your offense!" Or more likely he tried to run the offense, and read the defense, and find the soft spots in the zone, and identify the single coverages and just couldn't do it as effectively as Purdy.
Stats again do not tell the whole story. Being on pace to set a sack record could happen for alot of reasons. The QB could be holding the ball too long, WR are not open, The QB is indecisive, the Oline is bad etc etc. By just looking at sacks you not determine what oline is better. Pickett does not take many sacks because he throws 5yrd passes and gets rid of the bank quick. If Pickett held onto the ball longer you would see more sacks.
Also people really downplay Jimmy Gs stats. He is 41-19 as a starter and was ranked very high in several categories. Not to take away what Purdy has done, but if you put Jimmy G on this 49ers team i bet they would have similar stats. As for Lance he has not looked good and i thought it was ridiculous that SF drafted him where they did given Lances lack of exp.
We certainly have a lot of weapons but they are not being used. If it wasn't for Pickens and back shoulder throws imagine what the O would have looked like. The coaches are certainly not getting the best out of our players

Yeah well most QBs won't be Mahomes or Allen. Muth hasn't been on the field much this season to consider him a weapon. Pickens is the only proven healthy weapon and like Pickett he is learning on the job.

"Factual" numbers again don't tell the whole story. They are stats backed up by Ford's opinion nothing more.

5 comebacks wins in 15 starts gets dismissed by Ford because it doesn't fit his Rudy is great Kenny sucks agenda.

Yeah Canada is worse than Haley or Fich. Good luck trying to convince anyone otherwise.

So recap for the agenda driven:

Shaky center play, ****** scheme, the lack of X and O capable, substandard O-line and WRs coaching, a significant trend of not developing players all contribute to Kenny present day. That and happy feet and drifting towards a pass rush.

Nobody on this board or the Nation is giving Kenny a pass, but 99 percent of the people outside of agenda driven Ford can see the mitigating circumstances.

Ford I know you are pretending to ignore but while you continue snowflaking you should think of another subject outside of QB analysis. Why because you aren't good at it...not even a little bit

I don't doubt that the Steelers have the offensive weapons to be successful, that includes KP, and even the o-line may eventually gel, although a first-round center should already be on their '24 draft board.

But statistics are misleading when they continue to attempt punching that square peg through a round hole, schematically speaking.

I don't doubt that the Steelers have the offensive weapons to be successful, that includes KP, and even the o-line may eventually gel, although a first-round center should already be on their '24 draft board.

But statistics are misleading when they continue to attempt punching that square peg through a round hole, schematically speaking.
Stats can be manipulated to support opinions. As the one poster loves to do and try to pass it off as factual.

We still don't know what we have in Kenny. What we do know is he needs to improve as does every other element of the offense.

Eagles they have weapons, Miami they have weapons, 49ers they have weapons.

Steeler have 1 healthy weapon and a bunch of potential. That is it nothing more.

Stats can be manipulated to support opinions. As the one poster loves to do and try to pass it off as factual.

We still don't know what we have in Kenny. What we do know is he needs to improve as does every other element of the offense.

Steeler have 1 healthy weapon and a bunch of potential. That is it nothing more.

I think Kenny is a winner. He's had all of 17 games total as a starter.I think the coaching structure sucks *** to develop him. It's more like you're on your own. The offense itself is ******* awful. I can't find anything I like from blocking schemes to receiver routes. It's been 3 quarterbacks running this shitshow. Ben,Mitch and Kenny.

As it stands there's not a soul on the planet that will make this crap look good. It certainly won't reach elite levels.

It should look better when DJ&Pat come back.

It needs a fresh start. A stud C and another tackle would be great.

None of it matters until you get an OC&DC worth a ****.

I think Kenny is a winner. He's had all of 17 games total as a starter.I think the coaching structure sucks *** to develop him. It's more like you're on your own. The offense itself is ******* awful. I can't find anything I like from blocking schemes to receiver routes. It's been 3 quarterbacks running this shitshow. Ben,Mitch and Kenny.

As it stands there's not a soul on the planet that will make this crap look good. It certainly won't reach elite levels.

It should look better when DJ&Pat come back.

It needs a fresh start. A stud C and another tackle would be great.

None of it matters until you get an OC&DC worth a ****.
Or a head coach XO capable but yes I agree completely.

I agree with everything but the weapons part. We have Pickens who is a beast, Robinson is a solid vet, CAIII a burner, and Warren underneath. We have a giant TE we don't use, and Muth was barely used. Then we have one of the best route runners in DJ when he gets back. There is no excuse for coaches to not find ways to use these guys other than a shaky Oline which should also be correctable.

Stats again do not tell the whole story. Being on pace to set a sack record could happen for alot of reasons. The QB could be holding the ball too long, WR are not open, The QB is indecisive, the Oline is bad etc etc. By just looking at sacks you not determine what oline is better. Pickett does not take many sacks because he throws 5yrd passes and gets rid of the bank quick. If Pickett held onto the ball longer you would see more sacks.
Also people really downplay Jimmy Gs stats. He is 41-19 as a starter and was ranked very high in several categories. Not to take away what Purdy has done, but if you put Jimmy G on this 49ers team i bet they would have similar stats. As for Lance he has not looked good and i thought it was ridiculous that SF drafted him where they did given Lances lack of exp.
We certainly have a lot of weapons but they are not being used. If it wasn't for Pickens and back shoulder throws imagine what the O would have looked like. The coaches are certainly not getting the best out of our players
They don't but they are something you cannot be subjective on. Kenny Pickett gets the ball out from snap to throw in 2.5 second. Same as Howell. Watching each player my opinion is Howell is keeping his eyes down field looking for the bigger play and not calling the right protection pre-snap. I think Kenny doesn't look down field long enough and gets happy feet but I feel he calls protections actually better than Howell and with that extra experience I am glad he is. But what I do see is Kenny still missing open guys. Accuracy is better this last game so that is a very good and positive sign but there's guys open for Kenny. Here's a good breakdown of film vs the Ravens which is actually a better game for Kenny than a few. As you will see Kenny really had a hard time reading zone. And that is one of the biggest problems QBs have. The problem is I can get that from Trey Lance. Dude started less than 20 college football games. Kenny played in 52. Brock played in 48 college football games and it shows. Sean Clifford played in 51 and I bet you he can read a zone defense. When we drafted Pickett we expected a high floor. And I think that is why Colbert drafted him. He thought he won't need a lot of time develop. But if you look at Purdy, Pickett, and Clifford they all have similar college TD/INT ratios but the one HUGE difference is that Purdy and Clifford were consistent from year to year. Pickett had 42 TDs his senior year. I believe Colbert thought that was a sign Pickett had really put it together and was going to breakout. But in reality that was a very down ACC year and Pickett threw a lot of balls to Jordan Addison.

Here's a good breakdown of the Ravens game. You will see guys open. I don't expect him to be infallible. But if he hits 4 more guys that might be enough to move the chains or extend a drive a time or two and maybe one of those leads to more points.

Nothing wrong with win and loss numbers. But those are team numbers. Mike Kruczek is 6-0 his rookie season. Anyone think that is because of him. Jimmy G would be a good comparative to Kenny in my opinion. I have been saying he reminds me of Marc Bulger. You can win with those type of players. They just won't win a lot of games for you. And if you don't look at anything of that vid look at 9:00. Shows a nice play design by Canada. Ravens sitting on the curl route for the first and he has a double move drawn up. Kenny has the protection and the safety bites hard and Pickens is open for a td. Kenny throws a bad ball. That is a play Howell and Purdy make.

Now Watch Howell. Look at 2:00. He reads the zone and looks off the safety to set up his slot receiver. I can't remember Pickett doing this yet. Also, look at the pressure. Snap to throw is likely just over two second and he has a DT hitting him when he throws that ball. That is a play Pickett is running out of the pocket and missing his receiver.

Look at the third play. It is an incomplete but from Snap to throw Howell has less than 2 seconds. But if you also look at where he is trying to throw he has Dotson for the corner and if he has 2.1 seconds to throw that is a TD.

I honestly suggest watching film breakdown of Purdy, Howell, Pickett and Ridder. I feel Ridder and Pickett are pretty much on the same wave length right now. Purdy is just so quick to disseminate the defense, and Howell just has the arm and intangible aspects you can't teach. Like instinctual ability. All their careers are early but you can see the trajectory. Hopefully, something starts clicking with Kenny and he ends up being that 42 tds Pitt kid we saw his senior year.

I agree with everything but the weapons part. We have Pickens who is a beast, Robinson is a solid vet, CAIII a burner, and Warren underneath. We have a giant TE we don't use, and Muth was barely used. Then we have one of the best route runners in DJ when he gets back. There is no excuse for coaches to not find ways to use these guys other than a shaky Oline which should also be correctable.
It's impossible to assess what weapons we actually have when the gameplan is drawn up with crayons. Tragic comedy when you run Najee up the middle into an 8-man front, not using the middle of the field but throwing 20 yard passes to the sideline for a 5-yard gain. Receivers that are never wide open unlike all of our opponents, and then if they do catch a pass they are tackled immediately. You won't convince me that this is not at least 80% scheme rather than lack of individual talent.

Last edited:
It's impossible to assess what weapons we actually have when the gameplan is drawn up with crayons. Tragic comedy when you run Najee up the middle into an 8-man front, not using the middle of the field but throwing 20 yard passes to the sideline for a 5-yard gain. Receivers that are never wide open like all of our opponents, and then if they do catch a pass they are tackled immediately. You won't convince me that this is not at least 80% scheme rather than lack of individual talent.
Again. Watch the film. There are points left out of the field where Canada draws up a good play vs the defense and Kenny has a clean pocket and either misses the player being open or just misses the throw.

Again. Canada does not run a great offense. It is basic, it is bland, it is vanilla. But if ran properly it would produce more points. Lets just be real and quit blaming the guy for everything when the film shows open receivers and poor execution. There's a lot of blame to go around and just because you donned a Pitt Panther uniform does not mean you should be excluded from the blame.

Again nobody is excluding Kenny from blame. Posters can see just fine they know Kenny leaves plays on the field they don't need to rewatch film. I am sure a lot of new QBs do as they are learning on the job imagine that.

In the mean time all the other factors are included. They don't get excluded because of WRs open here and there. The O-line sucks here and there and so does the routes where the WRs aren't open... they don't get excluded either.

Again it isn't all on Kenny despite the agenda filled every day ramblings .

Ford thinks he is a film watching expert he knows all the plays and who does what wrong in the process. It is all Kenny's fault honest! Fricken ridiculous.

If you know so much you would know Kenny's bad tendencies are college oriented that hasn't been coached out of him combined with not trusting his O-line.

B b but you saw an open wide receiver got damn it Kenny!

Using this logic, it was Ben's fault, it was Mitch's fault and now it's Kenny's fault.
Nevermind 5 people could watch the same film and come away with 5 different opinions. We aren't privy to what initial play is called, if a WR runs a timing route ****** up, and the limited time to throw factor gets factored in as well. Really odd for someone to think Kenny can excel at learning on the job with handicaps and lack of being coached up.

I always remember Green Bays Brett's tendency to throw INTs but one coach got him to limit them. You are fooling yourself if you think coaches don't weigh in heavily in on a QBs development or lack there of.

Using this logic, it was Ben's fault, it was Mitch's fault and now it's Kenny's fault.
Read below.

Canada is really nothing worse or better than Haley or Fichtner. All love the short plays. Everyone had their useless infatuation with a certain play. Canada and his jet sweep, Fichtner and his bubble screen, and Haley and his midget back wheel route. The real difference has been execution. Ben in 2018 was 36 and still pretty spry. In 2019 he messed up his arm and was never the same. He was probably 75% of the QB he was in his prime. That was still good enough to put up decent numbers but he wasn't ever going to lead the NFL in passing yards again. An elite QB can put a team on their back. I would not consider Purdy elite as of now but who knows in 2 years where he is rated. He could be the next Drew Brees. A guy like Mahomes or Allen can take a team and just carry them and that has been proven. What did Reid do before Mahomes? He was a very good coach but now people are calling him the best ever. Well, he was good with a good QB like McNabb. He is elite with an elite QB like Mahomes. Look at Belicheat. He was the greatest coach in history when he had Brady. Brady leaves and turns the bucs into a super bowl winner and Belicheat just got beat like a redheaded step child in back to back weeks.

I guess what I am saying is I have not seen anything that indicates KP will be a Mahomes or Allen. We will see in a year or two because I don't think the Steelers won't give him every opportunity to develop.
A 32 year old Ben Roethlisberger throws for 4,500 yards and 30+ tds in his offense. A 38 year old Roethlisberger throws for 3,800 and 25 tds. Now remember there's 17 games not just 16 anymore.

And I think you bring Patrick Mahomes in here and run this offense he's in that 4500+ 30+ tds.

If you again watch the film Kenny left three or four touchdowns on the field. If he converts two of them no one is talking about Matt Canada. Instead people are literally making up some asinine rumor that Kenny called that touchdown play.

Oh the best QB in the league could come in and do better than a rookie learning on the job? No ****? A ****** regular Albert Einstein.