• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kenny Pickett Year 2....EXPECTATIONS....

Chicoman

Reaction score
Well Kenny Pickett's first year is in the books and his stats last season were

13 Games 7-6 Record 245 completions, 389 pass attempts comp 62.98% for 2,404 yds passing. 7 TD's, 9 INT's, QBR 76.7, Yards Per Attempt 6.18

Going into year 2 we even hear Mike Tomlin saying he expects alot from Pickett.....I think the expectations might be a little bit too much for Kenny Pickett but in his 2nd year realistically what do you expect from Kenny statwise to consider his second season a success?

I honestly think if we see him throw for 3,600 yards 22 TD's and less than 10 INT's 66% completion, with a QBR in the mid-high 80's and a YPA in the 7.2 range I'd consider it a big leap from him for season 2 and a big success.

Post your thoughts below....

Much like the first season, the second season will be a question about how much Canada hamstrings him. I think Pickett will continue to develop, as he did last year, but I hope this year the offensive play calling helps his improvement vs him needing to improve in spite of the play calling.

anything less than winning #7 will be a disapointment

don't care what the stats are if the team is winning
While that should always be the Ultimate Team Goal but I'm talking about Kenny Pickett's progression as a QB from a statistical standpoint. What are your expectations and how do you think he'll perform this season?

It depends if that OC of ours trots out the same bullshit predictable offense we've been running for years.

I actually expect we will run the ball down people's throats and it will open the pass up big time.

That OL needs to take a step up into being good to very good as well.

Honestly,I just want everyone to stay healthy and the starters be in game condition by the start of the season. I hate seeing all kinds of pulled muscles every year right out of the gates.

I think Kenny will do great and I hope he has the luxury of a solid running game. That helps everything and everyone.

3400-3500 yards
16-18 TDs
8-10 INTs
65-66%
20 sacks
350 rushing yards
3-4 rushing TDs

I expect Kenny to heed my advice:

c3dffe6a-6c7f-4bf6-9f70-b2258f5c45db_text.gif

Lets aim for 3200 passing yards and 22 Tds. That would be excellent for a guy in a run first offense….

I expect a big leap but Canaduh and even Tomlin are the keys. The middle of the field, audibles, and even the hurry-up offense all should be part of KP's arsenal. If not, they will be very predictable and middling as they have been the 2 years under Canaduh. I know they want to run the ball but teams are going to stack the box to start the season until KP, with Canaduh's play calling, proves they can throw downfield and stretch the D. They need to score points. If they decide to run early and often, don't score points, they will put KP in bad situations and will end up losing more games than they probably should.

While that should always be the Ultimate Team Goal but I'm talking about Kenny Pickett's progression as a QB from a statistical standpoint. What are your expectations and how do you think he'll perform this season?
Just win baby. Whatever that takes. I would think he wants a 3 to 1 TD ratio to point Kenny in the right direction. So maybe 21TDs and 3 Ints with 4 rushing TDs. 3000 yards passing probably is a good area to be at...and reasonable expectation in a Canada run offense.

Besides Kenny leading the team to the playoffs, I want him to keep those Ints down. He did well cleaning them up late.

Last edited:
I don't know about stats. Kenny was ranked 26th. If his ranking is 18 I'd say great effort.

If we play Tomlin small ball as expected, we will be playing from behind in 2nd half of games. Tomlin is afraid to throw. We likely lose games like that.

I don't know about stats. Kenny was ranked 26th. If his ranking is 18 I'd say great effort.

If we play Tomlin small ball as expected, we will be playing from behind in 2nd half of games. Tomlin is afraid to throw. We likely lose games like that.
Hoping they loosen the reins just a little. The kid has football smarts, let him show it.

Hoping they loosen the reins just a little. The kid has football smarts, let him show it.

BEN ROETHISBERGER had football smarts too, they handcuffed him as well. It wasn’t until week 5 that O’Canada allowed audibles for him…..

What has changed? O’Canadfa will take this league by storm in his 3rd year.

ZonaBurgh, you and I both know O’Canada is the biggest factor to this season’s success.

I fully agree with your post and thank you for all the great ones along the way.

Saljute the nation

Canada uses shifting, motion, trickery, and other tactics he learned when coaching college. He hasn't tricked anyone in the NFL yet. Suddenly his strategy will work? No. We will see the same offense we saw last year. Low scoring offense. Mike Tomlin football.

Well Kenny Pickett's first year is in the books and his stats last season were

13 Games 7-6 Record 245 completions, 389 pass attempts comp 62.98% for 2,404 yds passing. 7 TD's, 9 INT's, QBR 76.7, Yards Per Attempt 6.18

Going into year 2 we even hear Mike Tomlin saying he expects alot from Pickett.....I think the expectations might be a little bit too much for Kenny Pickett but in his 2nd year realistically what do you expect from Kenny statwise to consider his second season a success?

I honestly think if we see him throw for 3,600 yards 22 TD's and less than 10 INT's 66% completion, with a QBR in the mid-high 80's and a YPA in the 7.2 range I'd consider it a big leap from him for season 2 and a big success.

Post your thoughts below....

Oh boy.

A few predictions.

1. About 210 yards passing a game or less. Ie, he is a game manger who will need turnovers from the defense and a good running game to function well. He is 1-4 last year when throwing it 32 times or more. KP8 threw it very short most of the time. Easy passes. This inflated his completion % a bit, as did the amazing catches by his receiver Pickens. Red flag

2. He won't last the season without getting knocked out of games and will miss some games due to injury. He has two concussions less than a full season's worth of games. That is alarming for a young player as concussions tend to become easier when you get multiple of them in a short amount of time. He has a special helmet now to help prevent concussions, but the problem remains. That's not the problem, he plays football and was KO'd by light hits. Red flag

3. As a rookie he did not show the arm and lacked the velocity of the 5,6,7,and 8 routes. It's the arm, and it is sub par the standards of NFL starting quarterbacks. Red flag

4. A Qb rating under 85, which is not good these days.

But he was a rookie last year. Yeah -- I know rookies make mistakes and have a lot to learn at quarterback, but I find it alarming that the playbook was dumbed down that much, and alarming he did show me many " wow " moments that would suggest he is a top 14 QB. With the amount of college games played and his age, the conclusion is his " upside " is fuller than say a player who started about half as many college games and is a younger man.

I guarantee you some yinzers or blind homer fans willl compare his rookie year to past players who did not play as many games in college or players that played decades ago. The game has changed a bit since then.

But is he a smart QB, meaning his football IQ is good? I would say no, and point out his wonderlic score of 17 which is very low for a QB. Most modern QB's who score a 17 or less are lousy passers. You may find a QB with a great arm that scored low on the wonderlic from a player that played decades ago. The game changed. Some of those QB's had great arms. Okay, but Pickett does not have a great arm. He does not even have a good arm. Frankly the arm he has shown in the NFL is below average by the standard of NFL starting QB's.

In fact to my detractors and you know who you are, take this open challenge. Can you find me one nfl player who had Kp8's tiny 8.5 inch hands and scored a 17 or below on the wonderlic that amounted to being a good pro QB? I can not. I would not have drafted Pickett in round one, or round two. I think history will show we passed on better QB's.

Last edited:
Oh boy.

A few predictions.

1. About 210 yards passing a game or less. Ie, he is a game manger who will need turnovers from the defense and a good running game to function well. He is 1-4 last year when throwing it 32 times or more. KP8 threw it very short most of the time. Easy passes. This inflated his completion % a bit, as did the amazing catches by his receiver Pickens. Red flag

2. He won't last the season without getting knocked out of games and will miss some games due to injury. He has two concussions less than a full season's worth of games. That is alarming for a young player as concussions tend to become easier when you get multiple of them in a short amount of time. He has a special helmet now to help prevent concussions, but the problem remains. That's not the problem, he plays football and was KO'd by light hits. Red flag

3. As a rookie he did not show the arm and lacked the velocity of the 5,6,7,and 8 routes. It's the arm, and it is sub par the standards of NFL starting quarterbacks. Red flag

But he was a rookie last year. Yeah -- I know rookies make mistakes and have a lot to learn at quarterback, but I find it alarming that the playbook was dumbed down that much, and alarming he did show me many " wow " moments that would suggest he is a top 14 QB. With the amount of college games played and his age, the conclusion is his " upside " is fuller than say a player who started about half as many college games and is a younger man.

I guarantee you some yinzers or blind homer fans willl compare his rookie year to past players who did not play as many games in college or players that played decades ago. The game has changed a bit since then.

But is he a smart QB, meaning his football IQ is good? I would say no, and point out his wonderlic score of 17 which is very low for a QB. Most modern QB's who score a 17 or less are lousy passers. You may find a QB with a great arm that scored low on the wonderlic from a player that played decades ago. The game changed. Some of those QB's had great arms. Okay, but Pickett does not have a great arm. He does not even have a good arm. Frankly the arm he has shown in the NFL is below average by the standard of NFL starting QB's.

In fact to my detractors and you know who you are, take this open challenge. Can you find me one nfl player who had Kp8's tiny 8.5 inch hands and scored a 17 or below on the wonderlic that amounted to being a good pro QB? I can not. I would not have drafted Pickett in round one, or round two. I think history will show we passed on better QB's.
Same ol dumb arse crap. Wonderlic, hands, arm strength blah blah blah. This is a prime example why nobody should ever debate with you. You have been explained over and over again. Knocking your agendas down yet here they are yet again.

You did have the oh boy right though, I thought that exactly after reading your normal jibberish.

Coach, you have a lot of statements here that are opinion and NOT fact. That’s A-ok as this board is based more on opinion, so keep that in perspective………. OPINION

Oh boy.

A few predictions.

Pickett executed what was given to him for the play. Kenny had NO leeway to audible or anything of that nature. He can’t be responsible for his OC’s ineptitude. ALSO, Ben ROETHLISBERGER was a game manager as well, least ways for those who like to label QBs with that label. Patience is good, KP will improve.

Did you watch any games last season, because if you had………. You’d notice KP didn’t have a great deal of OL help until late in the season. This new, high investment OL will be way better than last years. I’d venture to say the go from 24th (last season’s rank) to very near top ten (this season’s final rank). Great increase in protection, coupled with a competent run game will show safety improvement.

OPINION

I still say, did you watch many games last season…………. Kenny ran for his life on watt to many occasions and that definately affects the QBR. I’d lay odds that this season will increase dramatically.

PURE opinion and thanks for sharing them.
Why do you constantly want others to look up you opinions to try and prove them. They are your’s and demand YOU take the time to prove them.

Salute the nation