• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kenny Pickett Year 2....EXPECTATIONS....

Guaranteed pulling him from the game and Mitch inserted. Pickett would be on the sidelines getting a royal *** chewing in front of his teammates.

ALSO, this isn’t Hollywood, the odds of his “audible” being successful is slim to none. They hav en’t practiced anything for blocking assignments to route tree, to RB assignments…….. It isn’t just switching a play at the line of scrimmage but what also goes into preparedness / communication of that switch.

Salute the nation
I don't believe that it is rocket science to call an audible. This was routinely done for many years by every quarterback. Pickett has been playing football for many years including one year in the NFL. He'll learn what he needs to learn in training camp, he should be more than capable of changing a play when he gets to the LOS.

I"m not quite ready to call him a clutch player

but he did show a lot of improvement

Agreed. I was simply referencing his progression within that season. Should have stated that better. Every season is different. But generally, we often don't see that consistent in-season progression for many rookie QBs. Glad he is putting good work in during the offseason.

I don't believe that it is rocket science to call an audible. This was routinely done for many years by every quarterback. Pickett has been playing football for many years including one year in the NFL. He'll learn what he needs to learn in training camp, he should be more than capable of changing a play when he gets to the LOS.

of course he will be able to call audibles, if they are installed in the game plan. YOU are missing the point, you asked if he just randomly changed the play / audibles, on his own and NOT with the OC giving the OK. That would be unplanned and not instilled in the game plan.

Currently the OC hasn’t install an audible package, the players would be lost………….

That is what my comment was based on…………….

Salute the nation

Take the size 4 kiddy gloves off…

I expect KP to not suck this season

More than 200 yards a game
More than a 41.5 completion % in the RZ
More TDs than picks (at least 2:1)
More than a 9-8 record
More than zero playoff wins

I think those are baseline minimum expectations from him if he is indeed “the guy” and quite realistic for a first overall QB taken in a draft in his 2nd year starting

If he can’t make those basic goals plenty of GOOD QBs in next year’s draft
Take off the small kiddy gloves. Are you making a backhanded compliment? :)

More than 200 yards is the minimum.

2 to 1 Td's to picks for Pickett? Well it depends on if the defense and running game allow him to be a game manger.

Next years QB's draft class is awesome.

IMO. The Steelers need a new QB prospect.

of course he will be able to call audibles, if they are installed in the game plan. YOU are missing the point, you asked if he just randomly changed the play / audibles, on his own and NOT with the OC giving the OK. That would be unplanned and not instilled in the game plan.

Currently the OC hasn’t install an audible package, the players would be lost………….

That is what my comment was based on…………….

Salute the nation
Gotcha, I may have mis-worded my question, of course, the audible packages have to be designed, implemented and practiced but it sounds as if many fans believe that even with the packages created and available Pickett was not allowed to take advantage of them due to a very conservative approach to offense as a rookie quarterback. That is the moment that I'm saying, Pickett has been playing football long enough and even with a short leash if he knows a play is destined to fail, he should just go ahead and use his football acumen (which from what I've heard is very good) and audible out of the play into one he thinks will work. I hate this notion that only the coaches are smart enough to allow a football player to play football.

That's what they said about this year's QB class at this time last year. It ended up being underwhelming. You've got Caleb Williams at the top, then Drake Maye. Who else in next year's class is awesome? I don't see it.

2 to 1 Td's to picks for Pickett? Well it depends on if the defense and running game allow him to be a game manger.

are you giving up on Kenny already?

Pickett already met both of your above requirements in his last 7 starts last year as a rookie (not counting the Ravens game where he was injured on the first series):

133-223
1442 yards
5 TDs
1 INT
6-1 team record

Don't you think he'll be improved in his second NFL season, coming back as the incumbent starter?

It's what we all live for.

I don’t think he has seen my earlier post yet, but I asked him if he could post it here.

I’m not here to make fun of him or anyone else for that matter, about their opinion. Ownership is the hard part.

Salute the nation

That's what they said about this year's QB class at this time last year. It ended up being underwhelming. You've got Caleb Williams at the top, then Drake Maye. Who else in next year's class is awesome? I don't see it.
Underwhelming?
Nobody has even played a down yet

Wouldn’t call 3 of the top 4 picks a light QB draft class and the guys like Levis and Hooker were being hyped as being better than last years too prospect, one Kenny Pickett, by many of the “experts”

We’ll see, but next year’s class does look to have about 4-5 guys the “experts” will pimp as well.

Underwhelming?
Nobody has even played a down yet

Wouldn’t call 3 of the top 4 picks a light QB draft class and the guys like Levis and Hooker were being hyped as being better than last years too prospect, one Kenny Pickett, by many of the “experts”

We’ll see, but next year’s class does look to have about 4-5 guys the “experts” will pimp as well.
Just because they were picked high doesn’t mean they were good prospects, IMO. I’m sticking with Young and Stroud at the top with Richardson and Levis being significant projects. After watching college football last year, there’s a huge gap between Williams/Maye and everyone else. In fact, there’s a big gap between Williams and Maye. There will need to be some breakout seasons for someone else to separate from the crowd.

Just because they were picked high doesn’t mean they were good prospects, IMO. I’m sticking with Young and Stroud at the top with Richardson and Levis being significant projects. After watching college football last year, there’s a huge gap between Williams/Maye and everyone else. In fact, there’s a big gap between Williams and Maye. There will need to be some breakout seasons for someone else to separate from the crowd.
I’m not sold on Maye, I definitely see a gap

Will he come back as last year’s first half of season Maye or 2nd half of season Maye?

Just was wondering how 3 of top 4 was underwhelming (personally felt like Stroud and AR taken too high-time will tell)

But as far as draft goes can’t get much more than 3 of top 4

Such a crap shoot the whole draft is…and then ya may just get drafted AND be a great player unfortunately drafted by a Matt Canada led offense

So many variables

I’m not sold on Maye, I definitely see a gap

Will he come back as last year’s first half of season Maye or 2nd half of season Maye?

Just was wondering how 3 of top 4 was underwhelming (personally felt like Stroud and AR taken too high-time will tell)

But as far as draft goes can’t get much more than 3 of top 4

Such a crap shoot the whole draft is…and then ya may just get drafted AND be a great player unfortunately drafted by a Matt Canada led offense

So many variables
I'm not sold on Maye either, but enough have him highly rated I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

What do you consider a deep QB class? In my mind, it's how many QBs can be franchise quarterbacks--QBs who can consistently lead a team to the playoffs and provide a team with a chance at a title. I think you're too hung up on where the players were drafted. We were told for two years how deep the 2023 QB class was and we ended up with two QBs overdrafted. Richardson has a ton of athletic gifts but is a huge project. Levis got drafted so high because they want him to be the next Josh Allen with his arm strength. I think he has too many faults in his game. In fact, I've already seen talk that Tennessee would absolutely draft Caleb Williams if they get the top pick next year.

If you're talking QBs who can make a roster and start, then maybe it's a different story. In that case, a group like 2012 was deep. Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson both developed into franchise QBs. Kirk Cousins is productive but hasn't been a winner in the playoffs. Ryan Tannehill is worse, but a guy you can win with if the team has enough talent. Nick Foles has stuck around and won a title. Case Keenum is a long-time backup.

In my mind, though, guys like Cousins, Tannehill, etc. are a waste of time because they aren't going to get you over the hump. I do have some worry that Pickett will only max out at that level and as much as I like him as a QB, I don't want to see the Steelers as a middling team for a decade. That brings it back to guys like Richardson and Levis getting overdrafted. Arm talent and physical abilities. Teams would rather take a chance on finding the next Mahomes, Allen, Roethlisberger, etc. than get stuck with a Kirk Cousins for 5-8 years.

he isa going to need to learn to call his own plays when matt sends him bougus play like the snell td vs the colts.
I perdection is 3200 yards 26 td 13 intc 11-6.

if the Rams at the deadline are sucking and we are above are right with the rats would be wise to add Donald

no one gives a **** about your opini0n

the best QB went to Arizona

he isa going to need to learn to call his own plays when matt sends him bougus play like the snell td vs the colts.
I perdection is 3200 yards 26 td 13 intc 11-6.

if the Rams at the deadline are sucking and we are above are right with the rats would be wise to add Donald

Aaron donald probably doesn’t fit the scheme well enough to warrant spending capital on. Besides, he eats too much cap space for a team that already spends too much on D…

Anyone wanting to bring in Donald doesn’t understand how much that ***** the cap up for YEARS… this year a team would have to open up 13.5 million dollars… next year it would be over 20 million and most is guaranteed… then the contract voids but you still pay two seasons of 8 million guaranteed each …

My Hope:
4,000 yards 25 td 8 int

Realistic:
3,200 yards 18 tds 10 int

Minimum:
3,000 yards 12 tds 10 int

I'm not sold on Maye either, but enough have him highly rated I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

What do you consider a deep QB class? In my mind, it's how many QBs can be franchise quarterbacks--QBs who can consistently lead a team to the playoffs and provide a team with a chance at a title. I think you're too hung up on where the players were drafted. We were told for two years how deep the 2023 QB class was and we ended up with two QBs overdrafted. Richardson has a ton of athletic gifts but is a huge project. Levis got drafted so high because they want him to be the next Josh Allen with his arm strength. I think he has too many faults in his game. In fact, I've already seen talk that Tennessee would absolutely draft Caleb Williams if they get the top pick next year.

If you're talking QBs who can make a roster and start, then maybe it's a different story. In that case, a group like 2012 was deep. Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson both developed into franchise QBs. Kirk Cousins is productive but hasn't been a winner in the playoffs. Ryan Tannehill is worse, but a guy you can win with if the team has enough talent. Nick Foles has stuck around and won a title. Case Keenum is a long-time backup.

In my mind, though, guys like Cousins, Tannehill, etc. are a waste of time because they aren't going to get you over the hump. I do have some worry that Pickett will only max out at that level and as much as I like him as a QB, I don't want to see the Steelers as a middling team for a decade. That brings it back to guys like Richardson and Levis getting overdrafted. Arm talent and physical abilities. Teams would rather take a chance on finding the next Mahomes, Allen, Roethlisberger, etc. than get stuck with a Kirk Cousins for 5-8 years.

The problem is that you really can’t tell after one or two seasons whether the guy is going to be great or not… after two seasons, Marcus Mariota was being hailed as the next franchise QB. He had thrown 45 tds to only 19 picks and had a passer rating over 90. His next six seasons he combined for 47 tds total… he faded into obscurity… people here were hailing Baker Maysfield as a superstar after two years… lamenting that we were doomed because he was in the division…. He is a certified bum now…

Conversely, Drew brees was a mess his first 3 years. People try to blame his injury after week 11 in 2003 as why they draft/traded for Rivers to replace him .. but they had already decided that Brees was a bust. His passer rating when he got hurt was under 70 and he had tossed more picks than tds in his career…

My Hope:
4,000 yards 25 td 8 int

Realistic:
3,200 yards 18 tds 10 int

Minimum:
3,000 yards 12 tds 10 int
Man, that first stat line and the Steelers will be cooking on offense this year. I would love to see it.

The problem is that you really can’t tell after one or two seasons whether the guy is going to be great or not… after two seasons, Marcus Mariota was being hailed as the next franchise QB. He had thrown 45 tds to only 19 picks and had a passer rating over 90. His next six seasons he combined for 47 tds total… he faded into obscurity… people here were hailing Baker Maysfield as a superstar after two years… lamenting that we were doomed because he was in the division…. He is a certified bum now…

Conversely, Drew brees was a mess his first 3 years. People try to blame his injury after week 11 in 2003 as why they draft/traded for Rivers to replace him .. but they had already decided that Brees was a bust. His passer rating when he got hurt was under 70 and he had tossed more picks than tds in his career…
You can't and there are also a lot of dynamics after they enter the league in how guys develop. For instance, is Patrick Mahomes as good if he doesn't have Andy Reid as head coach? What would Kenny Pickett have done last year with Kyle Shanahan rather than Matt Canada running the offense? But it all goes back to calling a QB class deep when in reality, if there are three franchise guys in the entire draft it is an all-time great class. All QB classes are thin, you just hope to get lucky and find a guy who can help win you a championship.