• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Levi Wallace Was Deciding on Steelers Offer When He Received a Sign Pointing to Pittsburgh

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers were looking for cornerback help early on in free agency, and they turned their attention to Buffalo Bills cornerback Levi Wallace. Wallace had helped Buffalo beat the Steelers in 2019 with a game sealing interception, and would again end the Steelers come back hopes in 2020 when he’d intercept Ben Roethlisberger.

The Steelers identified Wallace as a potential target early on in their off-season preparation. They chose to let Ahkello Witherspoon and Joe Haden test the market, but Witherspoon ultimately ended up re-signing with the Steelers last week. Haden is still a free agent. But they needed corner help, possibly even an upgrade from the aging Haden, and they felt like Wallace could do everything they needed.

Now the decision wasn’t so easy for Wallace. Buffalo had given Wallace his NFL life by signing him as an undrafted free agent from Alabama. But last season when they could’ve signed him to a longer term deal they chose not to. They actually didn’t even offer him a restricted tender deal. Wallace turned down other teams and chose to go back to Buffalo on a one year contract.

“I was on the fence of either staying with Buffalo or going to Pittsburgh. Ultimately, when my agent called and he was like, ‘You should think about going to Pittsburgh’, I said, Okay, I’ll call you back, let me pray about this.”

It seems like had the Bills even came close to the Steelers offer he wouldn’t of left Buffalo. You can tell in his words that he loved the people, his friends, and the relationship he built there. But that’s when a sign from the Lord pushed him to the Steelers.

“Man, I’m just sitting there, just contemplating,” He told Justin Spears on ‘The Wildcat’ Podcast. And I looked down and, bro, I had black and gold shorts on. I was like, you know what? There it is. The lord must want me to go to Pittsburgh, and I honestly just called my agent back and was like, ‘Man, let’s go, let’s do it.”

Wallace ended up signing basically the same contract that Witherspoon received after him. Both 2-year deals worth 8 million.

“It was a difficult decision for me. I went back and forth with my agent. I think the prayer helped me a lot, but it doesn’t make it any easier. You have real relationships, build real friendships, real brotherhood. It sucks. At the same time, I can’t wait to get to Pittsburgh, and start working there, too. It’s business. Business is business. I look forward to the opportunity to be in Pittsburgh, and create the same relationships and friendships in that city.”

Wallace loves to help out in the community, and the Steelers, and the city of Pittsburgh will give him plenty of opportunity. It’s a good thing for SteelerNation and the Steelers that Wallace put on those black and gold shorts. We look forward to seeing him in a Steelers uniform for the next several years.

Listen to the entire ‘The Wildcat’ Podcast here.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Another good "character" player on our beloved STEELERS. I'll take these kind of players all day and Sunday to boot.!!!

Salute the nation