• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Life in 2023 Bitchin' Thread

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
This might be more appropriate in another thread, if so, move it, but others have commented about how the economy today has personally affected them, so here goes.

We needed to replace my wife's vehicle because she was involved in an accident just before Christmas, she's fine, her car not so much. I pretty much let her decide what she wanted, her stipulations being not a black exterior (AZ), leather seats (golden retrievers), and a large enough cargo area to fit the armored dog crate. She decided she wanted a Kia Telluride and we went to the local dealer that had 15 of them on the lot. Test drove 4 of them and she picked one trimmed in the mid to upper range, with lots of bells and whistles.

Now the fun part, dealing with the $$$. They wrote up a proposal and showed it to us, when I questioned what the extra 10 grand was the response was dealer adjustment. The explanation was lack of inventory, shortages, they have to do it to keep everyone employed and the dealership open. I said that from a consumers point of view it looks like greed. They brought in a sales manager that told me groceries are up, but you still buy them don't you, gas is up, but you still buy it, don't you. When I responded that wholesale prices have risen requiring stores and gas stations to raise their prices, would you show me the factory invoice that the dealership paid for this car? Is it over MSRP? They wouldn't do that, but said to make a counter offer, so said MSRP. They said no, we got up, and I commented that I hope they could sleep at night, which left the two of them dumbfounded. Drove a few miles further down the road, bought a new Honda Pilot at $200 below MSRP. Still a little pissed at the loan rates, and thinking why couldn't this have happened 3 years ago.

Back in June, I had a similar experience. I was looking to get into a smaller truck, either a Ford Ranger or Chevy Colorado. Went to the local Ford dealer, found the exact truck I wanted. Test drive it, I love it.

Go to make the deal, and there is a $4000 “market adjustment.” We discuss this adjustment and long story short, I told them if they drop the adjustment I’ll put an additional $5k down and we’ll make the deal. Sales manager was like “nope.” Got up and left. Not going to overpay for a vehicle that is going to depreciate 15% the minute it leaves the lot.

Went to a dealer a little further away and found my truck. Exact same truck, just a different color. No markups, got it for about $400 over MSRP. 2022 Ford Ranger XLT with FX4 package. Nice little truck.

Didn’t get a chance to test drive any Colorado’s because no dealerships around here had any.

I had the same issue last year. Sold my 2017 Tacoma with 30k miles to a dealer for $2000 more than I paid for it new, and started looking for a new 2021 Tundra TRD Pro. No one had it in stock, but a few had one or two 'in transit'. Dealer #1 added $7k dealer fee, I said: "I know the market is crazy, but I'm not crazy". I offered $3k over and got denied.
Second dealer agreed to $1000 over MSRP and took my deposit and ordered the vehicle. Three weeks later I get a call to come pick up my deposit because they can not get the truck (likely sold it to someone else for more money).
On the way home from picking up my deposit, I stop at the Toyota dealer closest to my house and talk to a salesperson in the lot who says he has the exact truck I'm looking for en route, could still take 6 months to get. Best he could do is MSRP, no discounts - SOLD!

Three months later I got my truck and love it.

This might be more appropriate in another thread, if so, move it, but others have commented about how the economy today has personally affected them, so here goes.

We needed to replace my wife's vehicle because she was involved in an accident just before Christmas, she's fine, her car not so much. I pretty much let her decide what she wanted, her stipulations being not a black exterior (AZ), leather seats (golden retrievers), and a large enough cargo area to fit the armored dog crate. She decided she wanted a Kia Telluride and we went to the local dealer that had 15 of them on the lot. Test drove 4 of them and she picked one trimmed in the mid to upper range, with lots of bells and whistles.

Now the fun part, dealing with the $$$. They wrote up a proposal and showed it to us, when I questioned what the extra 10 grand was the response was dealer adjustment. The explanation was lack of inventory, shortages, they have to do it to keep everyone employed and the dealership open. I said that from a consumers point of view it looks like greed. They brought in a sales manager that told me groceries are up, but you still buy them don't you, gas is up, but you still buy it, don't you. When I responded that wholesale prices have risen requiring stores and gas stations to raise their prices, would you show me the factory invoice that the dealership paid for this car? Is it over MSRP? They wouldn't do that, but said to make a counter offer, so said MSRP. They said no, we got up, and I commented that I hope they could sleep at night, which left the two of them dumbfounded. Drove a few miles further down the road, bought a new Honda Pilot at $200 below MSRP. Still a little pissed at the loan rates, and thinking why couldn't this have happened 3 years ago.
I had to get a winter car / work driver as the old was died.

6months of looking before I could secure one this past Sept. I wanted to go used but the prices were almost new. **** that. So new it was. No dealer had inventory on lots, many were doing several grand mark ups. Etc.

Finally I found a Toyota dealership who had two coming within two months if I wanted to do a depos. Ran numbers and I questioned some things. He kinda chuckled and was like you want it lower?….put more down. Ahh.

It was what it was. If I wanted a car I had to do it. I’m glad I didn’t pay any markups just a couple hundred in bs “doc fees and ****”.

The only reason I got it was folks were putting depos on builds everywhere and who came in first the took it and dropped the other. These two were previous drops. It was crazy.

My brother in law ordered a high end Ford Explorer last year. They had an agreement on price. Shipment kept getting delayed and it took him almost a year to get it. When it finally came in they tacked on 5 grand to the agreed upon price. They absolutely would not negotiate and told him they had 10 other buyers who would take it if he didn’t want it. Needing a car at this point he sucked it up and paid. The brand new car was in the shop with various electrical issues 3 times in the first 2 months.

It’s insane.

My brother in law ordered a high end Ford Explorer last year. They had an agreement on price. Shipment kept getting delayed and it took him almost a year to get it. When it finally came in they tacked on 5 grand to the agreed upon price. They absolutely would not negotiate and told him they had 10 other buyers who would take it if he didn’t want it. Needing a car at this point he sucked it up and paid. The brand new car was in the shop with various electrical issues 3 times in the first 2 months.

It’s insane.
Does that qualify under the Lemon law? Would they have to buy it back?

Hey this is our fault. We allowed labor unions and the government to run much of our manufacturing capacity overseas.
Industrial capacity is one of those things tht made the USA a superpower and allowed us to win two world wars. We could not build equipment and supply all the allies if we needed to today.

Similar here. Wife totaled her Chrysler Town & Country in a chain reaction crash a couple months ago. We had two greyhounds, down to one now, but we need a minivan. New Chrysler Pacificas were few and far between, used ones scarce and pricey as well. Saw a loaded 2021 Dodge Caravan we liked at a dealer but we couldn't talk price because at that point we didn't know what insurance was going to pay us for our old one. Four days later we find out what we're getting and it was a lot more than we were expecting but by then the van was sold. Went to Enterprise used cars and they had exactly ONE minivan for sale and it wasn't what we wanted. Need leather seats because dog hair. They were able to ship in a red one (she likes red) from Enterprise in Chicago but we had to pay $30k for a 2020 with 70,000 miles. Enterprise guy is like, hey, we can't get new vehicles either so we have to keep them longer. Upside, the vehicle situation made her old one worth more too so we got almost $10k for her old 2014 with 177,000 miles.

Friday before Christmas the weather went to **** so I closed our office. Not so much that I wanted a four day weekend and my truck is 4wd so I could have made it to work but I was thinking that if I wreck it I can't get another one. 4wd is good in snow but the main problem was ice.

Last edited: