• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

LIVE UP TO THE MINUTE DRAFT THREAD

More than likely will battle Chuke’s for TRT spot. Moore had beaten him out his rookie season at both tackle positions.

Salute the nation
I'm an old guy, and maybe my memory serves me wrong. But, as I recall, Moore had trouble on the right side with his hand placement and footwork. So, when it became apparent that Banner was a definite no go, they decided to put Chuks at RT since he had played there the previous season (after Banner's injury in game 1). They also decided that Moore would play LT because he was "comfortable" there; having been a LT only in college. The idea was that they wouldn't weaken two positions at one time.

Thought..
Do we exchange or trade away our 5th round pick to move up in 2nd round to get BOTH Joey Porter Jr AND Brian Branch ?
We don't have a 5.
We cam in not having one, and we didn't pick one up.

I can’t grasp giving up #32 just to take lesser talent later in the draft if you have a hard target on the board. The only Steeler players of even small significance they have drafted in the 5th or later round in the last ten years are: James, Allen, Beachum, McCullers and Samuels. Let’s be honest, they are just guys and nothing special. Throwing away #32 and 49 for later picks is crazy.

I can’t grasp giving up #32 just to take lesser talent later in the draft if you have a hard target on the board. The only Steeler players of even small significance they have drafted in the 5th or later round in the last ten years are: James, Allen, Beachum, McCullers and Samuels. Let’s be honest, they are just guys and nothing special. Throwing away #32 and 49 for later picks is crazy.
I'm with you on 32 and take Branch, at 49 I'd wait to see what the board looks like.

We don't have a 5.
We cam in not having one, and we didn't pick one up.
You are right we don’t have a 5th — my bad—but let’s say our 2 - 7th rd picks and our later 2nd round pick to move up to a higher 2nd pick to get both Porter and Branch

I'm an old guy, and maybe my memory serves me wrong. But, as I recall, Moore had trouble on the right side with his hand placement and footwork. So, when it became apparent that Banner was a definite no go, they decided to put Chuks at RT since he had played there the previous season (after Banner's injury in game 1). They also decided that Moore would play LT because he was "comfortable" there; having been a LT only in college. The idea was that they wouldn't weaken two positions at one time.
Not sure about all of it but I do specifically remember (even read articles in the PG) that Chuks was horrible at LT. He had been trying for 3.5 years at that point and still couldn't put it together so Moore going to LT was an easy choice even as a rookie. That's why I keep saying when people talk about moving Chuks back to LT, that would be a bad move as he has no upside while Moore still does at LT. I would hope Moore can figure it out as a RT so we can get rid of an average, at best, Chuks at RT. I would even hope Moore starts working on his RT footwork now so he can compete for the job even this season and make Chuks the swing tackle.

That's my line of thinking. I'd go with the higher probability of getting two really good/great players in round 2 vs a much lesser probability of getting said players in later rounds.

I really hope they go DL then CB or TE who is good at run blocking.

OK, since I have no influence on this what so ever, let me propose a hypothetical. Making the trade with the Raiders who I assume would want Levis.
The Raiders give us 100 or 109 as compensation. They also have 70, but doubt they go for that, but they are the Raiders, so who knows.

Cardinals - JP2
Lions - Mayer
Colts - Cam Smith
Rams - Torrence
Seahawks - Adebawore

At 38 that still leaves Branch, Washington, Ringo, Hyatt, Sanders, JMS. This will be interesting

If the Steelers do trade out of 32, it could be WR that a team trades up for. This WR class is not great.

Look at the teams drafting just after the Steelers. They can use a WR and maybe trade up a few slots to make sure they get their guy.

Arizona - word is they are trading Hopkins.
Detroit - Jameson Williams suspended. Maybe they go Levi’s?
Indy - they drafted the QB. Colts have a bunch of #2 WR. They need a deep threat.
Rams - can use a lot of things. Probably won’t trade up because they don’t have enough draft capital.
Seattle. Maybe they want to trade up for TE?

Raiders - with Jimmy G at QB, maybe they want Levi’s to develop. McDaniels is the guy who drafted Tebow. Can also use #2 WR and a TE because they lost both Waller and Moreau. In the Chiefs division, they desperately need DBs. If they have Porter or Branch graded high, they may trade up.

Carolina - they need weapons. They signed Theilen and DJ Chark but can use another target. Frank Reich used 2 TE in Philly. They have Hayden Hurst as a solid TE but he’s not a great threat. Luke Musgrave may interest them to pair with Hurst.

Saints. They need a pass rusher And they are starting to get scarce. Can also use a TE because they currently have a WR playing TE. Mayer or Washington could be of huge interest.

Tennessee. It’s Tannehill s last year and it appears they think Willis is a bust. Do the trade up for Levis? They also have a big need at WR.
According to multiple sources, Steelers have four SERIOUS offers from teams interested in the #32, but the compensation would have to be extravagant to pass on the available talent.

who says the Steelers have to trade way back? Maybe you start by trading with Az for a 6th rounder and only move back 1 spot. Then maybe you trade back again from 2 to 5 or so and gain a 4 or 5.

I just don’t see Porter being as good as all the hype. He’s still living on daddy’s name IMO.

Penn State hasn’t exactly player power house teams every year and I think Branch or even Mayer would help this team more right now.

OK, since I have no influence on this what so ever, let me propose a hypothetical. Making the trade with the Raiders who I assume would want Levis.
The Raiders give us 100 or 109 as compensation. They also have 70, but doubt they go for that, but they are the Raiders, so who knows.

Cardinals - JP2
Lions - Mayer
Colts - Cam Smith
Rams - Torrence
Seahawks - Adebawore

At 38 that still leaves Branch, Washington, Ringo, Hyatt, Sanders, JMS. This will be interesting
#32 for #38 and #109 is just about even on the chart. But with a QB talent like Levis falling this far, the Steelers are in a great position, holding all the cards. I'd be surprised if they would take #100 as a part of this deal, but should they somehow wrangle #70 from the Raiders, that would be impressive.

#32 for #38 and #109 is just about even on the chart. But with a QB talent like Levis falling this far, the Steelers are in a great position, holding all the cards. I'd be surprised if they would take #100 as a part of this deal, but should they somehow wrangle #70 from the Raiders, that would be impressive.
I wouldn’t do it for less than 109 and 70

They have 3 more picks before 81, then 2 scrub picks next week. See what it takes with the 7th to get another pick before the end of round 3.

Not sure about all of it but I do specifically remember (even read articles in the PG) that Chuks was horrible at LT. He had been trying for 3.5 years at that point and still couldn't put it together so Moore going to LT was an easy choice even as a rookie. That's why I keep saying when people talk about moving Chuks back to LT, that would be a bad move as he has no upside while Moore still does at LT. I would hope Moore can figure it out as a RT so we can get rid of an average, at best, Chuks at RT. I would even hope Moore starts working on his RT footwork now so he can compete for the job even this season and make Chuks the swing tackle.
Chucks stinks! If they could trade Chucks and Dotson For fifth and sixth round picks I'd be all over it.

I wouldn’t do it for less than 109 and 70
That's a 42% positive expected value for the Steelers. Even #70 alone is unrealistic at +29%.

Chucks stinks! If they could trade Chucks and Dotson For fifth and sixth round picks I'd be all over it.
I wouldn't trade Chukes. First Jones is a rookie and there is not another vet I am comfy filling in if need be. @G there is great depth, @T not so much.

Last edited:

Game experience depth, Dotson would be the realistic one to try and trade. I highly doubt you get a 4th, or even a 5th for Dotson. Cheaper to keep him as depth also.

Salute the nation

By the way you guys.....watching the draft on TV whether it was ABC/ESPN or the draft network was quite painful after awhile. My son texted and told me to watch the Pat McAfee draft show on YouTube. I rewatched the Steelers trade and pick along with other drafts this morning. J.J Watt was on during the Steelers pick. Watch it. It was ******* hilarious.
Tons of insight,stories,football talk. Not blaring music and the Jonas brothers. I will definitely be watching this for round two. Give it a shot.

By the way you guys.....watching the draft on TV whether it was ABC/ESPN or the draft network was quite painful after awhile. My son texted and told me to watch the Pat McAfee draft show on YouTube. I rewatched the Steelers trade and pick along with other drafts this morning. J.J Watt was on during the Steelers pick. Watch it. It was ******* hilarious.
Tons of insight,stories,football talk. Not blaring music and the Jonas brothers. I will definitely be watching this for round two. Give it a shot.
The place to be is in the SteelerNation YouTube channel, the draft show hosted by Stryker, the artist formerly known as Cope