• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Maybe we don't draft a running back at all

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers made an incredibly underrated signing at the tail end of last season: RB Kerrith Whyte.

They were shuffling so many players in-and-out to deal with injuries, we hardly noticed.

But it seems Whyte may be exactly what the doctor ordered, to round-out our running back group.

The Steelers may look at their depth chart right now, and say, hey, with Connor, Snell, Samuels and Whyte, we have a little bit of everything. Why burn a draft pick on a RB? With this group, they have a combination of power, pass-catching, speed, kick return ability. They have backs for early downs, backs for passing downs, backs for short yardage.

Why go all-in and try to get a single, 3-down RB who dominates carries and playing time, like they had with Bell? With the way injuries have played out, they may be much better off using multiple players in specific roles.

This isn't fantasy football. Who cares which players gets the most carries, yards, receptions or touchdowns? Can the Steelers get their running game going again, and make it an effective part of their gameplan? That is all that matters. With Connor/Snell on early downs, Samuels/Whyte on passing downs, this group may be most effective in wearing down defenses by a thousand cuts.

9544134.jpg

The Bears should have kept Kerrith Whyte
https://dawindycity.com/2019/12/10/chicago-bears-wrong-decision-kerrith-whyte/

The Chicago Bears appear to have made the wrong decision in letting Kerrith Whyte walk.

The Chicago Bears made a puzzling decision a few weeks ago when they allowed the Pittsburgh Steelers to swoop in and sign Kerrith Whyte off their practice squad. The Steelers, who know how to identify talented running backs (Le’veon Bell and James Connor) set their sights on Whyte, whom they added as a result of some injuries to Connor and 2019 draft pick, Benny Snell.

Instead of finding a way to elevate Whyte to their own 53-man roster, the Bears allowed the talented, and dynamic running back to walk out the door. Instead, the Bears chose to keep Ryan Nall, whom they’ve scantly used, on the active roster.

In doing so, they allowed a 5-foot-10, 200+ pound running back with 4.4 speed and explosive return abilities to get plucked from right under their nose. Had they lost him in favor of a more skilled player, or at least one who contributed regularly to the team, it would have been a little easier of a pill to swallow.

But they didn’t. As I mentioned, Nall hasn’t played much at all, nor has a guy like Bradley Sowell, who would have also been a candidate to cut instead of Whyte.

Whyte on the other hand has made the most of his albeit limited action in three games. In his first game against the Cincinnati Bengals, he ran the ball six times for 43 yards (7.17 yards per attempt). He also had a kickoff return for 16 yards.

The following week against the Cleveland Browns, his rushing attempts dropped to three for 10 yards, but he returned three kicks for 72 yards. Finally, there was this past Sunday’s game against the Arizona Cardinals. He ran the ball five times for 41 yards (8.20 yards per attempt), caught a pass for nine yards, and returned two kicks for 24 yards.

In those three games, he’s rushed the ball a total of 14 times for 94 yards (6.7 yards per carry). Every time he touches the ball he’s a threat to bust it open for a huge gain. He’s an electric player and people are starting to take notice.

<samp class="EmbedCode-container"><code class="EmbedCode-code"><blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Kerrith Whyte had 6 touches for 50 yards yesterday. Showing excellent burst and breaking tackles. No reason in the world he shouldn’t be getting more touches, way more dynamic than Samuels or Snell</p>— Jon Ledyard (@LedyardNFLDraft) <a href="https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/status/1204037179183452160?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 9, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> </code></samp>

That is, of course, except the Bears who didn’t notice what they had in front of them. And what they had was not only a dynamic player but potentially a very cost-effective replacement for Cordarrelle Patterson (if he doesn’t come back next season) and/or even Tarik Cohen (if the Bears decide not to bring him back the following year).

The Bears got a steal in the seventh round when they drafted Whyte (someone we documented before the draft), but had him stolen away from an organization that knows how to utilize someone with his talents. And now Bears fans will have to watch him flourish on another team, which is as frustrating as it gets.

Last edited:
NFL Draft Sleeper: Kerrith Whyte Jr.
https://dawindycity.com/2019/02/27/chicago-bears-nfl-draft-sleeper-kerrith-whyte/2/

Draft profile

Whyte, a redshirt junior, teamed up with Devin Singletary, who we’ve previously profiled, to form an incredibly potent and versatile backfield last season for Florida Atlantic. Led by head coach Lane Kiffin, Whyte flourished despite splitting time with Singletary.

On just 134 rushing attempts last season, Whyte toted the ball for an eye-popping 866 yards, which was good for 6.5 yards per carry. He also found the end zone eight times on the ground. As a pass catcher out of the backfield, he caught 10 passes for 160 yards (16 yards per catch) and two touchdowns.

In other words, when Whyte gets the ball, he makes the most of it, as evidenced by his average yards per carry and catch. Although he stands just 5-foot-10 and weighs 200 pounds, he has fantastic contact balance. In fact, he had the most yards after contact per rushing attempt (3.92) of any running back in college football last season for a total of 522 yards after contact.

<samp class="EmbedCode-container"><code class="EmbedCode-code"><blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Owls are making their comeback!<br><br>An interception leads to a Kerrith Whyte TD to give <a href="https://twitter.com/FAU_Football?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@FAU_Football</a> a 21-20 lead. <a href="https://t.co/RzYY72j7Dj">pic.twitter.com/RzYY72j7Dj</a></p>— CBS Sports Network (@CBSSportsNet) <a href="https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNet/status/1063277521217540096?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 16, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> </code></samp>

He’s a very elusive back with very good lateral quickness and speed, which he believes will pop at FAU’s Pro Day in March. Talking to Whyte, he’s an incredibly humble and hard-working player who leans on his faith in all situations. Whyte has come a long way — from not having a single Division1 offer to being on the verge of fulfilling a lifelong dream.

No doubt his versatility will help him achieve that dream of playing in the NFL, as he would not only provide a spark in the backfield but is extremely dangerous as a kick returner, averaging 28.7 yards per return.

The video above shows just how explosive he can be when he gets the ball in space, whether it’s on a kickoff or out of the backfield. As a player who offers a lot of versatility and would fill at least two needs for the Bears, he would be the ideal replacement for Mizzell next season. We talked about his fit with the Bears, among other topics, when we sat down recently to discuss his journey.

And btw, I would think the Steelers have already moved Whyte ahead of Samuels on the depth chart. And I think Snell with push Connor big-time in his second go-around. If Connor doesn't show up 100% healthy and ready to go, is hampered in any way heading into the season, I see this backfield being Snell/Whyte moving forward.

I'm not saying the Steelers won't - or shouldn't - be drafting a top RB. I'm just suggesting they may be in better shape at the position than we realize, and may have uncovered a diamond in the rough in Kerrith Whyte.

They wont "draft" a RB, but they will bring in one or two UDFA RB'S.

I think depth wise there is a lot to like. The biggest problem is JC's inability to stay healthy. Also Jaysam looked like he declined, but he has training camp to bounce back. There is enough questions there to invest in a RB if the right one is there in 2 or 3/4.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

I liked Whyte. I said it during the season when he was getting touches immediately after being put on the team. He has to be in the mix for a roster spot and touches. Dude is fast. He is also a good returner.

OUR coaching staff needs to realize that wheels do fall off and be smart about how they use each one. You have to mix it up so as the "D" can't tee off on Personel VS Play called. A lot of us fans call for players to improve over the off-season, Randy Fitchner, being a coach, needs to be one of them.

Salute the nation

I think depth wise there is a lot to like. The biggest problem is JC's inability to stay healthy. Also Jaysam looked like he declined, but he has training camp to bounce back. There is enough questions there to invest in a RB if the right one is there in 2 or 3/4.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

Yep, I agree Slash. Enough questions to invest in a RB if right one there in 2,3 or 4.
I’m thinking if he’s there Dobbins in round 2 who I think they can build offense around and possibly move more towards a run oriented offense.
Of course now that makes for a crowed BF so someone has to go. I agree with Tibs on Wythe and like what he brings with his speed so he’s not going anywhere, and Benny in his limited play did well enough that I expect a better season two.
Maybe that opens the possibility of a trade of James Connor who becomes a FA after this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Yep, I agree Slash. Enough questions to invest in a RB if right one there in 2,3 or 4.
I’m thinking if he’s there Dobbins in round 2 who I think they can build offense around and possibly move more towards a run oriented offense.
Of course now that makes for a crowed BF so someone has to go. I agree with Tibs on Wythe and like what he brings with his speed so he’s not going anywhere, and Benny in his limited play did well enough that I expect a better season two.
Maybe that opens the possibility of a trade of James Connor who becomes a FA after this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

If someone has to go I think I would like to keep JC if possible. I would trade or axe Jaysam.

But that is probably based more on the person than the player. Not that Conner isn't a solid try hard run your *** over type player.

I just want the kid to succeed and with us if feasible....

Whyte is the only RB on the roster with unkown upside, Snell could improve, but you can't learn speed. We know exactly who the other guys are by now, and they are subpar.

I've been a proponent of drafting one of the top RBs with our 2nd rounder. Mostly because I want us to add speed and playmaking ability at the position. I really liked what I saw out of K. Whyte last year when they put him in. My concern is that Tomlin et.al. seem to prefer a "bell cow" back in the Bell mold mixing in other guys occasionally on third down or just to give the main RB a rest. Thus, if you're gonna use one guy most of the time - I would prefer him to be faster than our current stable of Connor and Snell. If they give Whyte more touches, I'm on board with staying the course with our current guys and going elsewhere in the draft. Speed may not kill in the NFL but it sure scares the hell out of defenses.

keep the running backs and get a healthy fullback. Tomlin does not seem to allow one running back to play enough to see what they can do.

to me you can pretty much go process of elimination on the first pick.
Dline- Full but ageing (possible)
Linebackers- Lost two one inside one outside and have a starter on the Tag (high probable)
Corners- ( full, but aging) possible)
Safeties- Two young starters. No way.
TE- Two starters (older and injury but....doubtful)
Oline- Is where they really need to invest for the long term, but they are in a win now mode. (probable)
QB- They traded the first round. Someone they see as a first rounder would have to drop, but they have that in Rudolph now. (in the situation..... doubtful)
RB- They don't have a true three down guy and your highest millage is a three year guy who has only played about 70 percent of the games. (I think doubtful)
They will take whoever can have the most impact on the field now. To me they need an inside linebacker of some athleticism. I know they have used their first pick on a defender forever, but I don't see that changing. They showed interest at Tanner Muse at Clemson pro day. My pick is in if he is available.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to see Snell bulk up a little more and see what he can do when they put him behind our FB. I'd love to see us get back to dominating the line of scrimmage again and use Ben's passing ability to keep defenses honest, with the occasional bomb down field. Could be a very interesting and balanced offense to watch this year.

keep the running backs and get a healthy fullback. Tomlin does not seem to allow one running back to play enough to see what they can do.

Um, we seemed to have accomplished that a few days ago.

And as far as Tomlin not allowing "one RB to play enough to see what they can do"; You realize your statement is the exact opposite of what he does, right? Tomlin, likes to use one RB to the exclusion of all others if possible (i.e. "till the wheels fall off").

There is no Saquon Barkley falling to us in the 2nd round of this draft but with all the big name FA RBs filling voids on teams in need of backfield talent the chance of seeing a talent like Dobbins, Swift or Taylor falling in this draft are plausible. Will they make it all the way to us who knows. Point here is that one of those 3 names have a far greater potential for me than Conner, Jaysam or Snell. Conner's injury history is a huge concern for me along with him being in the last year of his contract. I was underwhelmed by Snell last year.... he goes down way easier than I expected. Nothing on our current RB corp puts fear in the minds of opposing teams. They all are serviceable guys but nothing special. I like J Whyte and would like to see more of him as he does provide a threat the others don't possess for big plays.
The signing of D Watt excites me ..... but it would excite me more if I knew Jonathon Taylor was hitting that hole for the next 4 years.

If the top two Guards/ Centers are off the board and no 1st round talent WR falls to us in the 2nd I am definitely looking for Conner's replacement with a #1 RB if available.
If that tier is not there .... I will wait to the 4th ....... hoping for C. Akers, CEH or Moss to be available
Most of this approach comes available to us because of the recent signings this week that I think are favourable. If Ben comes back reasonably strong, having a guy on this team that can consistently move the chains at RB will help us get back to being an efficient OFF. Pair that with our current DEF and we are a well rounded team.

Basically BPA at 2nd and if that is a RB .....so be it ......... whatever gives the team success especially for the next 3 years

I like White, but he is unproven and that leads me to totally disagree with you....

WE WILL DRAFT A RB...Our biggest area of concern is RB because these guys have NOT proven they can consistently stay on the field AND produce...

There is too much mystery here to stand idle at the draft on a RB.

IMO the OL and lack of QB threat was the biggest problem, not the RBs. Sure, they could use a more talented RB, but if they don't fix the other things, it won't matter much.

Reactions: JMM
I'd feel much better trying to get another receiver in the second round. NFL is still about throwing the football and the more weapons you have in the passing game, the better. With our current stable of backs, adding a top-flight offensive lineman will boost the ground game more than a running back will in the second round. There isn't much value to running backs and the return on investment is small with so few lasting two full contracts.

If someone has to go I think I would like to keep JC if possible. I would trade or axe Jaysam.

But that is probably based more on the person than the player. Not that Conner isn't a solid try hard run your *** over type player.

I just want the kid to succeed and with us if feasible....

I like Conner and think he did really well in his first year with Bell out of the picture. This season is huge for him. I hope he can stay healthy.

If they do land a stud 3down RB in the draft the writing may be on the wall for either him or Jaysam.

That is why I am praying he performs well this year ........ I want him to continue his career if not with us then with some other team.(Pats excluded):yuck:
Ball out young man ........ everyone is watching and rooting for ya

I'd like to see Snell bulk up a little more and see what he can do when they put him behind our FB. .

IMO the last thing Snell needs is more bulk. He already is a 4.6 guy. I think he needs to shed some weight and get a little quicker.

To me they need an inside linebacker of some athleticism. I know they have used their first pick on a defender forever, but I don't see that changing. They showed interest at Tanner Muse at Clemson pro day. My pick is in if he is available.

Agreed. With all our losses and adds this month, the one position that hasn't been addressed adequately IMO is another coverage ILB.

I'd feel much better trying to get another receiver in the second round. NFL is still about throwing the football and the more weapons you have in the passing game, the better. With our current stable of backs, adding a top-flight offensive lineman will boost the ground game more than a running back will in the second round. There isn't much value to running backs and the return on investment is small with so few lasting two full contracts.

I am ok with a WR in the 2nd if they are BPA , but I am hoping that it is a big physical one. I don't necessarily agree that the NFL is still about throwing the ball. There is a large influx of QBs like Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson, Josh Allen, etc. that are more about being mobile than pocket passers. Even Mahomes displays this attribute.
Most of the teams that were successful in this years playoff run relied heavily on the run game.... Tennessee, San Francisco most notably and I think Damien Williams of the Chiefs was the most integral part of the Chiefs run next to Mahomes. Things evolve over time and I think the NFL is pulling away from the dominant throwing era.
The top OT will be long gone in the 1st round but hopefully the top G/C will still be available to us.

QB. OT, Edge and WR seem to be the shiny toys most available in this draft......... so it may push some talent down to us in the 2nd from the other positions

Agreed. With all our losses and adds this month, the one position that hasn't been addressed adequately IMO is another coverage ILB.

Could be they like what they saw out of Ulysees Gilbert III. Even then, they need to add a lil depth/competition for that spot.