• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Michael Vick can not lead this team...

madtacker

Reaction score
One was in catch-up / desperation mode against the cheaters. The other one, Wheaton and DHB both looked like they stopped on the play. Neither made an effort to go get it. The look on Ben's face was as if they were not on the same page. Neither of those interceptions (to me) were boneheaded. At least not bone headed on Ben's part. But that's just my take.

Catch up / desperation mode? They just cut it to a seven point lead got Brady off the field and there was seven min left in the game.

That was a stupid decision by Ben and he has those moments from time to time. Yesterday was another bad decision.
The ball on the fifty and rams were about ready to fold up if we drive it down the field score at again.

This is where the Steelers or Ben seem to go wrong. They protect the ball be patient and go down and score a Td the defeat and put a team
Away early. Instead they bail out the rams by throwing a bad interception at a key time.
So instead of finishing a team early they waste it and end up dominating the first half and go into half time with a
9 -3 lead. Or be up 10-0. Whatever.
Then you let the opposing team go into the half feeling lucky and still in the game. Now your in a dog fight relying on
Your defense to keep you from losing.

That being said Ben is a great qb. He just makes some bad decisions that make you scratch your head.
Brett Farve type player. With the weapons he has now if he just stays patient and cerebral this offense can't be stopped.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Vick doesn't know this offense. What he needs to know are these three things:

1: Get the ball to AB
2: Check down to Bell when all else fails
3: Heath over the middle will be there

For the rest of us, pray he doesn't go down and we have Landry Jones as our starting QB.

The short week hurts us preparing a QB who would normally not see the field. The longer week after this helps him a lot going into San Diego.

Vader

Reaction score
Catch up / desperation mode? They just cut it to a seven point lead got Brady off the field and there was seven min left in the game.

What? The pats**** scored with 9:20 left in the game to make it 28-14. At no time was Ben on the field with 7 minutes left within 7 points of the pats****.

FAB802

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm honestly a little surprised that this thread wasn't worse than it is considering the circumstances. Other than the dense who think Tebow, or any number of other stiffs would be better options it hasn't been that bad. I wasn't a fan of the signing because for me the things that made Michael Vick a real threat are gone at his advanced age. He isn't running all over teams like his playoff run in Atlanta.

The defensive front seven we saw yesterday is as good as there is in the game. We won't see anyone close to that again. The Rats are 0-3 people. Yes, it's a division game, but no Suggs, Ngata, Ray Ray, Reed and the list goes on. They are ******* awful, and they have no real playmakers offensively either. This is the perfect time to get them on a short week with Vick in there if it has to happen. He doesn't have to be even close to Ben, because he isn't capable of it anyways. The line will be better, they need to throw some on first down and give the offense a chance. If it's run, run, pass they might as well not suit up.

Ben could have been out for the year, he's not. The Bungles look real good, if we can find a way to beat them in this run and not let them run away from us we have a shot at the division still. This team is capable of beating any of those teams in front of them if they take care of the ball and the defense doesn't fall apart. The only team I think can just put a beating on us is Arizona. Time will tell.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm honestly a little surprised that this thread wasn't worse than it is considering the circumstances. Other than the dense who think Tebow, or any number of other stiffs would be better options it hasn't been that bad. I wasn't a fan of the signing because for me the things that made Michael Vick a real threat are gone at his advanced age. He isn't running all over teams like his playoff run in Atlanta.

The defensive front seven we saw yesterday is as good as there is in the game. We won't see anyone close to that again. The Rats are 0-3 people. Yes, it's a division game, but no Suggs, Ngata, Ray Ray, Reed and the list goes on. They are ******* awful, and they have no real playmakers offensively either. This is the perfect time to get them on a short week with Vick in there if it has to happen. He doesn't have to be even close to Ben, because he isn't capable of it anyways. The line will be better, they need to throw some on first down and give the offense a chance. If it's run, run, pass they might as well not suit up.

Ben could have been out for the year, he's not. The Bungles look real good, if we can find a way to beat them in this run and not let them run away from us we have a shot at the division still. This team is capable of beating any of those teams in front of them if they take care of the ball and the defense doesn't fall apart. The only team I think can just put a beating on us is Arizona. Time will tell.

~~~Standing ovation required~~~

papillon

Reaction score
Less than that.. Teams are mandatory off the day after a game and typically don't practice the day before a game. It's going to be a tough game no doubt.

By "off", does that mean that can't do anything or just no hitting. I have to believe that Vick and Haley spent the plane ride and a few hours last night when they returned going through the playbook and determining what portions of the offense that Vick will be comfortable with, what portions will be okay and what portions they need to avoid. Then today, if there's no hitting they need to get to film, get his wristband started, go through the audibles (which I'm sure will be limited), go over protections, and go over the scope of the reads they will want him to make. Half the field should be it, the Steeler weapons are very good and Vick will need to rely on them to get open and be available for him.

The offensive line needs to play a clean game, zero penalties, limit the mental mistakes and keep the offense in manageable situations. Any down and long is a bad situation for the offense, so they need to avoid negative plays and penalties. Remind Vick over and over that throwing one into the seats is a good thing once he's outside the tackles and nothing is opening up, sacks are bad, grounding is bad and TOs are crazy bad, use the seats to your advantage if you have to. Berry has been killing it, a punt is going to be a positive play for this team come Thursday night.

The short week really sucks right now.

Papillon

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm hoping we can break even with Vick. That would be a big "win".

papillon

Reaction score
By "off", does that mean that can't do anything or just no hitting. I have to believe that Vick and Haley spent the plane ride and a few hours last night when they returned going through the playbook and determining what portions of the offense that Vick will be comfortable with, what portions will be okay and what portions they need to avoid. Then today, if there's no hitting they need to get to film, get his wristband started, go through the audibles (which I'm sure will be limited), go over protections, and go over the scope of the reads they will want him to make. Half the field should be it, the Steeler weapons are very good and Vick will need to rely on them to get open and be available for him.

The offensive line needs to play a clean game, zero penalties, limit the mental mistakes and keep the offense in manageable situations. Any down and long is a bad situation for the offense, so they need to avoid negative plays and penalties. Remind Vick over and over that throwing one into the seats is a good thing once he's outside the tackles and nothing is opening up, sacks are bad, grounding is bad and TOs are crazy bad, use the seats to your advantage if you have to. Berry has been killing it, a punt is going to be a positive play for this team come Thursday night.

The short week really sucks right now.

Papillon

3 char

Last edited:

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm hoping we can break even with Vick. That would be a big "win".

This is my mind set as well. Tough road games at SD & KC mixed in there though. The Raiders are playing well and you never really know what you'll get with the Stains. Would be good to keep stacking W's this week and have the long work week leading into at SD for MNF. Hard to say when Ben comes back. Would be nice if he had Pouncey out there to shore up the middle of the line when he does get back.

Vader

Reaction score

Seriously what a joke. They talk about his time with Philly but have no mention of his most previous experience with the Jets where he fumbled as many times as he had TDs. They scorn those who would make snap judgements but are ok with making their own judgement that Vick is going to be fine because "I'll defer to the proven judgment of Coach Tomlin and his staff in this matter." Just say that instead of writing an article about the horrible Steeler fans that don't want a 35 year old running QB who was a dog torturer in Pittsburgh. BTW what are Tomlin and his staffs judgement in this area? Where have they taken a 35 year old running QB and done **** with them? And before anybody mentions Batch, he was with the team when Tomlin took over and he wasn't a running 35 year old QB. Hell for that matter what good have they done finding a backup from anywhere?

Steelz

Reaction score
I think only Steeler fans would even mention Tebow at this point, even else knows he's not a real quarterback or even a NFL player.. Damn that playoff game..

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
I just hope we don't go too conservative. We are not going to beat the Rats with 12 points. We are still going to have to put the ball in the air some.

Steelz

Reaction score
By "off", does that mean that can't do anything or just no hitting.

Yeah I think I read somewhere that its mandatory in the players agreement to have the next day after a game off, I think the day before a game its typically just walk thru (not sure if mandatory no hitting that day but coaches use this day to keep players fresh) So really on this short week the players only have 1 day to fully practice (tuesday).

Last edited:

Xc944

Reaction score
Seriously what a joke. They talk about his time with Philly but have no mention of his most previous experience with the Jets where he fumbled as many times as he had TDs. They scorn those who would make snap judgements but are ok with making their own judgement that Vick is going to be fine because "I'll defer to the proven judgment of Coach Tomlin and his staff in this matter." Just say that instead of writing an article about the horrible Steeler fans that don't want a 35 year old running QB who was a dog torturer in Pittsburgh. BTW what are Tomlin and his staffs judgement in this area? Where have they taken a 35 year old running QB and done **** with them? And before anybody mentions Batch, he was with the team when Tomlin took over and he wasn't a running 35 year old QB. Hell for that matter what good have they done finding a backup from anywhere?

for the record they are clueless in this article. 2010 with the eagles he had 11 fumbles, 2011 he had 10 fumbles, 2012 he had 11 fumbles . in those years he played 10, 12 and 13 games. absolute joke of a article

Xc944

Reaction score
FUMBLES
Year Team G FUM Lost FF Rec Rec Yds Yds TD OOB Sfty TB
2015 Pittsburgh Steelers 2 1 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- 0 0 0
2014 New York Jets 10 5 2 0 2 -- 0 -- -- 0 0 0
2013 Philadelphia Eagles 7 4 2 0 2 -- 0 -- -- 1 0 0
2012 Philadelphia Eagles 10 11 5 0 3 -- 0 -- -- 0 0 0
2011 Philadelphia Eagles 13 10 4 0 4 -- 0 -- -- 1 0 0
2010 Philadelphia Eagles 12 11 3 -- 4 -- 0 -- -- 0 0 0
2009 Philadelphia Eagles 12 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
2006 Atlanta Falcons 16 9 3 -- 2 1 0 4 0 1 0 0
2005 Atlanta Falcons 15 11 5 0 -- -- -- -- -- 0 0 0
2004 Atlanta Falcons 15 16 7 0 4 -- 0 -- -- 0 0 0
2003 Atlanta Falcons 5 4 1 -- 1 -- 0 -- -- 0 0 0
2002 Atlanta Falcons 15 9 6 -- 1 -- 0 -- -- 0 0 0
2001 Atlanta Falcons 8 6 5 -- -- -- -- -- -- 0 0 0
TOTAL 140 97 43 0 23 1 0 4 0 3 0 0

papillon

Reaction score
Yeah I think I read somewhere that its mandatory in the players agreement to have the next day after a game off, I think the day before a game its typically just walk thru (not sure if mandatory no hitting that day but coaches use this day to keep players fresh) So really on this short week the players only have 1 day to fully practice (tuesday).

I guess I still have the question about film and playbook study on the off day. As long as they aren't on the field, can they still get together and go over the playbook, study game film, work on communicating plays in from the sideline, constructing the wristband with the plays, etc.?

Papillon

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score

I'm 99% sure they always have meetings and watch film on Mondays.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm 99% sure they always have meetings and watch film on Mondays.

They usually do film on Mondays and meetings, day off Tuesday (although players usually will come lift) and then formal practice W-F and walk through/meetings Saturday.

Ghost of Frenchy Fuqua

Reaction score
After sleeping on it, I'm for starting Jones, not Vick.

It's time to see what they've got in Jones. We all know it probably isn't much. But he got plenty of work in the preseason. So let's see if it helped.

And if he struggles, you go to Vick.

Cowher named Jim Miller the starter one season, then pulled him after the first half of the opener. So no big deal if Tomlin gives Jones the hook.

BTW: I think the Steelers will finally get serious about the backup QB spot. They've been way too blase about it the past couple of seasons,

Last edited:

steelrzgirl

Forefather
Reaction score
Vick cannot read a defense and go through progressions quickly and teams will just blitz his old *** off. He was unprepared for the game today just like he admitted he was last year for the Jets, season is done if he has to play more than 2 games.
Look, Im not a fan of the man who Vick is, but he's here. In his defense, on this particular topic, he is not the only one who has taken the field uprepared. This has been my ***** about Tomlin's regime for awhile. Reference unleashing hell.

steelrzgirl

Forefather
Reaction score
Less than that.. Teams are mandatory off the day after a game and typically don't practice the day before a game. It's going to be a tough game no doubt.
Texans reported to practice today. BOB doesnt give them Monday off.