• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mock it - nfldraftcountdown

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
January 9, 2023

17. Peter Skoronski, LT, Northwestern
32. Jack Campbell LB/Iowa
48. Emmanuel Forbes CB/Mississippi State
80. Keanu Benton DL/Wisconsin
118. Israel Abanikanda RB/Pittsburgh
193. Demarco Hellams S/Alabama
234. Aidan O'Connell QB/Purdue

My Mock:
17. Joey Porter Jr. CB/Penn State
32. Anton Harrison OT/Oklahoma
58. Gervon Dexter DL/Florida
80. Will Mcdonald EDGE/Iowa State
118. Luke Wypler C/Ohio State
193. Jeremy Banks LB/Tennessee
234. Ronnie Hickman S/Ohio State

Sup I love Skoronski at 17 but not sure he’ll be there. I’m thinking he’s gone way before that.
Peezy’s kid at 17 too! Not sure he’s going to be there at 17.
I’d be good with either player but lean more toward Skoronski at LT then we could move Big Dan Moore to RT and move on from Chucks.

IF Skoronski is there at 17, it would be one of the times I would rejoice at the Steelers "pick runner" sprinting to the podium the second we were on the clock.

Thankfully I have zero to do with the Steelers draft.
I change my mind every day.
Today I am thinking 1st round best OT available.
Then get Cyrus torrence in the 2nd. This guy is beast

Thankfully I have zero to do with the Steelers draft.
I change my mind every day.
Today I am thinking 1st round best OT available.
Then get Cyrus torrence in the 2nd. This guy is beast
That’s my thinking 1st pick OL for Pickett, 2nd pick OL for Harris/Warren

No way the Steelers should pass on Ringo. Know how Quentin Johnson was tearing college CB's a new *******? He went up against Ringo quite a bit aaaaaand ... 1 catch, 3 yards.

17. Kelee Ringo CB/Georgia
32. Jaelyn Duncan OT/Maryland
48. Siaki Ika DL/Baylor
80. Tommy Eichenberg LB/Ohio State
118. Mazi Smith DL/Michigan
193. Dontayvion Wicks WR/Virginia
234. Mekhi Gardner CB/LSU

Ringo! Duncan has the balance and movement of a 250 lb. guy and handles speed rush really well. He is very likely a solid LT, at worst an excellent RT. Ika AND Smith?!? Holy ****, yes! Eichenberg an interesting guy. Plays well at times but gets locked up by blockers. He needs technique help but I suspect he runs well at combine and does not last to 80. Wicks is one of the unfortunate victims of that nutcase who shot a bunch of Virginia football players. If that doesn't happen, I think he is a top-100 guy no doubt. Gardner has the tools (get it?) and is a good pick this late.

CB? Check
DL? Check and check
LT? Check
ILB? Check
WR? Check

17. Paris Johnson- Athletic LT Ohio State
32. BJ Ojulari EDGE/LSU
48. Siaki Ika DL/Baylor
80. Nathaniel Dell WR Houston
118 Mazi Smith. DL Michigan
193 Jayden Reed WR Michigan State
234. Stetson Bennett QB/Georgia

I resigned Sutton and Kaz and Edmunds in free agency and brought in an ILBer to compete with resigned Spillane.

17. Paris Johnson- Athletic LT Ohio State
32. BJ Ojulari EDGE/LSU
48. Siaki Ika DL/Baylor
80. Nathaniel Dell WR Houston
118 Mazi Smith. DL Michigan
193 Jayden Reed WR Michigan State
234. Stetson Bennett QB/Georgia

I resigned Sutton and Kaz and Edmunds in free agency and brought in an ILBer to compete with resigned Spillane.

Addresses LT, edge rusher, DL x 2, solid slot receiver in Dell. Nice. Also, I think Reed is underrated. He is pretty big, runs well, and has superb hands. Bennett to answer the back-up QB question. Okay, I'm sold. Means the Steelers probably cut or trade Trubisky and get some extra cap room. (3rd string QB's are usually scrubs and UDFA's, apart from Hall of Famer Rudolph of course.)

No way the Steelers should pass on Ringo. Know how Quentin Johnson was tearing college CB's a new *******? He went up against Ringo quite a bit aaaaaand ... 1 catch, 3 yards.

48. Siaki Ika DL/Baylor

Ringo! Duncan has the balance and movement of a 250 lb. guy and handles speed rush really well. He is very likely a solid LT, at worst an excellent RT. Ika AND Smith?!? Holy ****, yes! Eichenberg an interesting guy. Plays well at times but gets locked up by blockers. He needs technique help but I suspect he runs well at combine and does not last to 80. Wicks is one of the unfortunate victims of that nutcase who shot a bunch of Virginia football players. If that doesn't happen, I think he is a top-100 guy no doubt. Gardner has the tools (get it?) and is a good pick this late.

CB? Check
DL? Check and check
LT? Check
ILB? Check
WR? Check
Love your first three picks. Duncan is LEGIT.

I didn't like how that 3rd round fell to us. I'm digging supes mock

#17- Brian Branch DB Alabama
I just got done watching some tape and so far he is the best player in this draft on my board. Hands Down. He might be the best tackler I have seen coming out of college football. He is a wrecking ball at the LOS. He regularly sniffs out bubble screens and misdirection to make tackles for loss. And has a great ability to blitz and get pressure on the QB. But he also is no slouch in pass coverage. He routinely adjusts to his receiver and looks for the ball when the receiver does and defects some really hard to defend passes. Not a ton of interceptions but I believe he has the ability to make more plays on the ball as he gains comfortability in his pass coverage. I see some TP qualities in him. NFL Comparison Troy Polamalu.

#32- Siaki Ika NT Baylor
Heavy and active hands which allow him to use his surprisingly good lateral movement skills to get across the offensive line and penetrate. He also can hold the point of attack and in the run game and take on and or split double teams. My only real gripe is even though he is disruptive he does make as many plays as I would like to see. He does an outstanding job of breaking up the play design and making the QB improvise but there's many examples of him just not finishing the play and taking the QB down himself. And a few times because of that the QB or RB is able to make a positive play. But overall he definitely makes his presence known. NFL Comparison Vita Vea.

#48- Blake Breeland OT BYU
Again, watching some tape the other day and I am really starting to like Breeland. Is a massive dude and has very quick feet, long arms, and very good at knowing his blocking assignments. Not going to bull people over in the run game but he will get to the second level and seal a running lane. He can take match elite speed. He doesn't do the best with a hard bull rush and needs a little more sand in his pants as sometimes after his initial pop the DL will win the second battle. Bottom line is he played 2600+ snaps and gave up 1 sack in College. NFL Comparison Jared Veldheer.

#80- Tommy Eichenberg ILB OSU
He reminds me of Robert Spillane with about a step and a half better speed. He is very instinctual consistently sniffing out screens and misdirection. He also does any awesome job hiding himself and then exploding through a hole the running back is trying to shoot and end up with a loss or a very small gain. In the passing game he is best in zone where he can read the QB's eyes and set himself up to either break a pass up or intercept a poorly thrown ball. NFL Comparison Paul Posluszny

#118- Parker Washington WR Penn State
Good YAC receiver with very reliable hands. He seems to play up to his level of competition having his best game vs a very good Ohio State secondary who could not stop him. Adjusts well to poorly throw balls. Natural hands catcher. Doesn't create as much separation as a guy with his speed and agility should. NFL Comparison Golden Tate.

#193- Thomas Incoom Edge Central Michigan
We all saw what happened to the defense when we couldn't get pressure on the QB. Incoom has 27.5 tfl and 16 sacks over the last two seasons. He has a real good first step and bend to go along with a relentless motor. Just as good versus the run as he is pass rush. The level of competition is an obvious concern but he played consistently throughout the season regardless of opponent. NFL Comparison Maxx Crosby.

#234- Isaiah McGuire DL Missouri
Ika should do nicely in the middle helping to free up Heyward but so far Leal and Loudermilk have no done a lot. Both have flashed a little but we are in need of one end now and likely another in a season or two. McGuire can play both sides and as a SEC DL has 28 tfl and 16.5 sacks over the last two years. He is very strong with long arms and he uses them to shed defenders to make tackles. He also has a good first step that gets offensive lineman off guard. He needs to gain a little weigh at 6-4 275lbs but has the frame to do so. NFL Comparison Brett Keisel.

48. Siaki Ika DL/Baylor

CB? Check
DL? Check and check
LT? Check
ILB? Check
WR? Check

Meh I’ve seen Duncan listed as a boom or bust guy so much, i don’t think he is a first or high second rounder… athleticism is not the end all be all… most sites have him as the 7th to 10th OT… some list him lower than that. I don’t think he is a bad risk, but I’m not sure at 32 you couldn’t trade down and still easily get him.

The top four are always in some order of Paris Johnson jr, Peter Skoronski, Antwon Harrison, and Brodderick Jones

Johnson is the most athletic but Id be concerned because his handwork is questionable according to a couple sites, and our blocking technique is all about that handwork… he might be there at 17, but honestly I am not sure our staff will value him as high as the drafniks do because of that… if you did teach him the right technique he could be a monster

Skoronski is the best Technique guy.. he is polished, especially in the pass game but he has some length and strength questions that lead some to think he will ultimately end up at guard or center… id be thrilled with taking a flyer on him as a tackle and still ending up with a stud guard…

Jones is the best Runblocking tackle in the first round grade guys. He has some passblocking issues, but overall would be an upgrade on Moore. If you moved moore to guard that left side would be lethal in the run game

Harrison isn’t a great runblocking tackle, but he is smooth as silk in the passblocking game… he is a finesse blocker… that term keeps coming up in his scouting reports… i like my L T to be a passblocker first and foremost, so I am cool with him… Arians would have loved this guy..

In short all of tgese guys have different strengths and weaknesses but I wouldn’t mind any of them

Meh I’ve seen Duncan listed as a boom or bust guy so much, i don’t think he is a first or high second rounder… athleticism is not the end all be all… most sites have him as the 7th to 10th OT… some list him lower than that. I don’t think he is a bad risk, but I’m not sure at 32 you couldn’t trade down and still easily get him.

The top four are always in some order of Paris Johnson jr, Peter Skoronski, Antwon Harrison, and Brodderick Jones

Johnson is the most athletic but Id be concerned because his handwork is questionable according to a couple sites, and our blocking technique is all about that handwork… he might be there at 17, but honestly I am not sure our staff will value him as high as the drafniks do because of that… if you did teach him the right technique he could be a monster

Skoronski is the best Technique guy.. he is polished, especially in the pass game but he has some length and strength questions that lead some to think he will ultimately end up at guard or center… id be thrilled with taking a flyer on him as a tackle and still ending up with a stud guard…

Jones is the best Runblocking tackle in the first round grade guys. He has some passblocking issues, but overall would be an upgrade on Moore. If you moved moore to guard that left side would be lethal in the run game

Harrison isn’t a great runblocking tackle, but he is smooth as silk in the passblocking game… he is a finesse blocker… that term keeps coming up in his scouting reports… i like my L T to be a passblocker first and foremost, so I am cool with him… Arians would have loved this guy..

In short all of tgese guys have different strengths and weaknesses but I wouldn’t mind any of them
excellent break down.

i've been using this as a reference for guys:

excellent break down.

i've been using this as a reference for guys:
I’ve been trying to bounce around… I’ve learned that the best way to get any idea about this stuff is to look through a bunch and hope the consensus is obvious observations that carry over from one to the other

the more I think about it, if there isn't a prospect they really love, that they have as a top 15 in their board, they might trade down. What's the value of that pick? a mid 2nd and a mid 3rd? or am I asking for too much?

the more I think about it, if there isn't a prospect they really love, that they have as a top 15 in their board, they might trade down. What's the value of that pick? a mid 2nd and a mid 3rd? or am I asking for too much?
That is what I would definitely do unless a sure fire home run falls to them… outside of wr, this draft is deep on the other things they need, or at least not worth a top 20 pick… several situations can occur there that warrant a trade down… it would have been way better in that 10-12ish position we would have been in had we not finished as strongly… thats where a qb falls and someone goes nuts… this situation it would be a top ten player displaced by the glut of qbs going to go high who isn’t in our pressing needs… like there may be a lot of edge rushers really highly ranked, and while we do need depth, we don’t need a starter and frankly the position is super deep this year so we definitely shouldn’t be taking one round 1… or a Te… or if a QB falls…

If tge right Wr or Cb is there, fine… or if a super stud DT falls , sure take him… or if there is a run of like 3 picks on OTs before then and we want to get one of the guys left… again ok… but otherwise trade down and grab another pick in the lower second or higher third

I’ve been trying to bounce around… I’ve learned that the best way to get any idea about this stuff is to look through a bunch and hope the consensus is obvious observations that carry over from one to the other
Uhuh **** that I need their head size and 40 yard dash time.

That is what I would definitely do unless a sure fire home run falls to them… outside of wr, this draft is deep on the other things they need, or at least not worth a top 20 pick… several situations can occur there that warrant a trade down… it would have been way better in that 10-12ish position we would have been in had we not finished as strongly… thats where a qb falls and someone goes nuts… this situation it would be a top ten player displaced by the glut of qbs going to go high who isn’t in our pressing needs… like there may be a lot of edge rushers really highly ranked, and while we do need depth, we don’t need a starter and frankly the position is super deep this year so we definitely shouldn’t be taking one round 1… or a Te… or if a QB falls…

If tge right Wr or Cb is there, fine… or if a super stud DT falls , sure take him… or if there is a run of like 3 picks on OTs before then and we want to get one of the guys left… again ok… but otherwise trade down and grab another pick in the lower second or higher third
The thing is the only 1st round DT apart of the obvious Carter is Bree, and he has some health concerns right? So who is a 1st round DT to get there?

Maybe. If not, then the quality of the LT prospects starts plummeting. Duncan's balance and footwork are pretty amazing for a guy 6'6", 320 lbs. I am interested to see how he does in Senior Bowl practices and the Senior Bowl.

The thing is the only 1st round DT apart of the obvious Carter is Bree, and he has some health concerns right? So who is a 1st round DT to get there?

Yes. Clemson fans point out that Bresee was good when on the field but he spent way too much time on the sidelines due to injury.

Carter is certainly worth 17 but he will be gone. I think the team needs a NT more than a DE, since Leal and Heyward are solid for the next 2 years. Ika would likely require 32nd pick, 48 at the latest. Mazi Smith is an athletic freak, probably around at 80.

Here's the thing. The Claypool trade brought the team a great pick at 32 so they can fill the needs at CB, LT, NT, ILB and WR all in the 1st 4 rounds. Certain positions (LT, CB) require using early picks to get the elite players needed. Others (ILB, WR, NT) are positions where good players can be found in the 3rd or 4th.

Maybe. If not, then the quality of the LT prospects starts plummeting. Duncan's balance and footwork are pretty amazing for a guy 6'6", 320 lbs. I am interested to see how he does in Senior Bowl practices and the Senior Bowl.

Yes. Clemson fans point out that Bresee was good when on the field but he spent way too much time on the sidelines due to injury.

Carter is certainly worth 17 but he will be gone. I think the team needs a NT more than a DE, since Leal and Heyward are solid for the next 2 years. Ika would likely require 32nd pick, 48 at the latest. Mazi Smith is an athletic freak, probably around at 80.

Here's the thing. The Claypool trade brought the team a great pick at 32 so they can fill the needs at CB, LT, NT, ILB and WR all in the 1st 4 rounds. Certain positions (LT, CB) require using early picks to get the elite players needed. Others (ILB, WR, NT) are positions where good players can be found in the 3rd or 4th.

I also think they need a NT, but they have really devalued that position since Tomlin took over

That's why my question was, what DT is worth getting drafted at 1.32? There's none as Carter isn't falling that much. The only way to get out of the 1st round with a DT is that Carter falls to 1.17 which I don't see happening.

Then if there's no stud blue chip player that fell to 1.32 (WR, S, LT, CB depending on what they got at 1.17) they might trade down, anyone knows the value chart to see what could that 1.32 bring?