• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

My Draft Horse

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I'm declaring my draft horse very early this year. A few things to share about it. I'm certainly not a guru. I watch limited college football. My son knows the players better than I do. I listen to others mostly and consider need, fit, availability when the Steelers draft and immediate impact. That said I'm four for the last five if you consider Claypool their first pick. My miss was Vander Esche who probably got slightly overdrafted and left the Steelers panicking and taking Edmunds.
This year's pick: Jordan Davis Georgia. He checks all of the boxes I use. Need: Obvious. Fit: day one starter and his ability to play multiple techs means he is not a one down guy or someone you have to scramble to rotate in sub packages. Immediate impact: see above. Availability: most mocks have him right in the 20 area.
I got sold on Davis in the national championship game. Bama refused to try any inside power. That's the number one Inside power team in my eyes and they refused to try. That's all I need to know. He will completely fix last years run debacle because you aren't getting edge vs. Watt or Highsmith. He will resurrect Devin Bush's career.
I was having beers with some football coach buddies and my main mentor said well he isn't doing that in the NFL. No but he owns his gap. He also forces double against a front that already has two guys you better consider doubling. Lastly he is explosive enough to collapse the pocket.
I strongly believe in up the middle. If you are strong up the middle tailback, QB, centre, Nose, Mack, safety you are a good football team. I don't believe there is a QB, I think the can get centre elsewhere, I think they want to try to save their current Mack and they have safety.
So there it is. Jordan Davis will look very good in XXXL Black and Gold.

Last edited:
While I agree with you, does Tomlin see it that way? I just do not understand his seeming reluctance to have a true nose tackle. "Well, he will see limited snaps because of sub packages." Well, screw that. Play him in those sub packages. It isn't like the sub packages as presently constituted are setting the world on fire.

I'm hoping maybe the hiring of Flores will change some of the thinking. Belechick always liked the big nose, maybe that has rubbed off on Flores. I didn't pay much attention o how Flores constituted his line in Miami, though.

To me it comes down to whether the nose can truly move or not. Davis can move. I mean he is ****** massive so he isn't gonna play 8 straight snaps. But I see absolutely no reason he cannot play first and second and then you may sub him on 3rd if it's 5 or more. There are a hell of a lot if first and second downs in a game. Third and one would be a problem too. You gonna run dive at him or Heyward?

To be clear I don't think the days when they set the Steelers defense like Hampton NT, Smith DE, Keisel DE are comming back. So anyone who is playing NT really has to be able to play multiple techs. But looking at this kid's power and agility I don't see anyway you could do anything but double him unless you are running something very fast to the other side.

To me it comes down to whether the nose can truly move or not. Davis can move. I mean he is ****** massive so he isn't gonna play 8 straight snaps. But I see absolutely no reason he cannot play first and second and then you may sub him on 3rd if it's 5 or more. There are a hell of a lot if first and second downs in a game. Third and one would be a problem too. You gonna run dive at him or Heyward?
I am not convinced you would have to sub him in. I tell him on third and long collapse the pocket go full steam ahead. Unless you want an extra CB there. Other than that he is on the field a lot.

Anywho I have draft horses.

Ekwonu
Linderbaum
Williams
Davis

If they are off the board then I trade down.

I am not convinced you would have to sub him in. I tell him on third and long collapse the pocket go full steam ahead. Unless you want an extra CB there. Other than that he is on the field a lot.
And beyond that him crashing his 340 self into the weak A gap will open lanes for blitz.

As some have said about Davis, he's not a 3-down player. He comes out on passing downs. With Tuitt allegedly coming back, and Alualu also, selecting Davis might not be the best choice for our 1st rounder. I also wonder if Adams could do better next season. It seemed our run defense was a lot better once we got him from the Texans.

Though a DL of Heyward, Davis and Tuitt would be pretty bad-***. Then rotate in Alualu, Wormley and Adams.

maybe that helps BusT.

or we get the DT from UConn later?

As some have said about Davis, he's not a 3-down player. He comes out on passing downs. With Tuitt allegedly coming back, and Alualu also, selecting Davis might not be the best choice for our 1st rounder. I also wonder if Adams could do better next season. It seemed our run defense was a lot better once we got him from the Texans.

Though a DL of Heyward, Davis and Tuitt would be pretty bad-***. Then rotate in Alualu, Wormley and Adams.

maybe that helps BusT.

I will be surprised if Tuitt plays another down for the Steelers. Maybe he will be only two downs a lot of the time, but if that sets up third and then you get Watt, Heyward, Loudermilk/ Wormley, Highsmith teeing off on third and long. They simply cannot allow themselves to be run on like last year. A player like Davis really creates a problem. You are not blocking him with one man. So while he may not end up on the sheet a ton wtf are you gonna do with Heyward one on one?

I thought this thread was about draft ******

I think you just threw in the word "draft" to not be so obvious......................

Salute the nation

Anywho I have draft horses.

Ekwonu
Linderbaum
Williams
Davis

If they are off the board then I trade down.

Sorry i' not more up on players but who is Ekwonu, possition / school / your take on him even if to just refresh my memory.

Thanks slash

Salute the nation

I will be surprised if Tuitt plays another down for the Steelers. Maybe he will be only two downs a lot of the time, but if that sets up third and then you get Watt, Heyward, Loudermilk/ Wormley, Highsmith teeing off on third and long. They simply cannot allow themselves to be run on like last year. A player like Davis really creates a problem. You are not blocking him with one man. So while he may not end up on the sheet a ton wtf are you gonna do with Heyward one on one?

I think Tuitt has to be looked at as a depth player until proven otherwise. He isn't going to step right in as if not issing abeat that I can tell yaz.!

If the STEELERS go in thinking Tuitt is the answer then there will be that same lack of PRO-ACTION and their constant RE-ACTION mentality.

Salute the nation

I think Tuitt has to be looked at as a depth player until proven otherwise. He isn't going to step right in as if not issing abeat that I can tell yaz.!

If the STEELERS go in thinking Tuitt is the answer then there will be that same lack of PRO-ACTION and their constant RE-ACTION mentality.

Very much agree here. I think between Tuitt and Alualu you will be fortunate to get the production of one good player.

Salute the nation

maybe that helps BusT.

If he is available in 2 I put that card in quick.

I'm declaring my draft horse very early this year. A few things to share about it. I'm certainly not a guru. I watch limited college football. My son knows the players better than I do. I listen to others mostly and consider need, fit, availability when the Steelers draft and immediate impact. That said I'm four for the last five if you consider Claypool their first pick. My miss was Vander Esche who probably got slightly overdrafted and left the Steelers panicking and taking Edmunds.
This year's pick: Jordan Davis Georgia. He checks all of the boxes I use. Need: Obvious. Fit: day one starter and his ability to play multiple techs means he is not a one down guy or someone you have to scramble to rotate in sub packages. Immediate impact: see above. Availability: most mocks have him right in the 20 area.
I got sold on Davis in the national championship game. Bama refused to try any inside power. That's the number one Inside power team in my eyes and they refused to try. That's all I need to know. He will completely fix last years run debacle because you aren't getting edge vs. Watt or Highsmith. He will resurrect Devin Bush's career.
I was having beers with some football coach buddies and my main mentor said well he isn't doing that in the NFL. No but he owns his gap. He also forces double against a front that already has two guys you better consider doubling. Lastly he is explosive enough to collapse the pocket.
I strongly believe in up the middle. If you are strong up the middle tailback, QB, centre, Nose, Mack, safety you are a good football team. I don't believe there is a QB, I think the can get centre elsewhere, I think they want to try to save their current Mack and they have safety.
Bermuda endorses this and fully agrees. Davis at 1.20.

As a alum of UGA I approve this message

maybe that helps BusT.

I'm not sold on Tuitt coming back and J. Davis can do EVERYTHING that either Tuitt or Alualu can do right now for cheaper.

Imagine what the nickel front can look like w/ Watt-J. Davis-Adams-Highsmith...

To be clear I don't think the days when they set the Steelers defense like Hampton NT, Smith DE, Keisel DE are comming back. So anyone who is playing NT really has to be able to play multiple techs. But looking at this kid's power and agility I don't see anyway you could do anything but double him unless you are running something very fast to the other side.
If Davis draws double teams imagine how much easier it would be for Watt, Heyward and Highsmith to take over.

Heyward and Watt damn near controlled the chiefs offense for a quarter

I'm not sold on Tuitt coming back and J. Davis can do EVERYTHING that either Tuitt or Alualu can do right now for cheaper.

Imagine what the nickel front can look like w/ Watt-J. Davis-Adams-Highsmith...
Why would Adam's be in over Heyward?