• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

My take on Shazier

• Thread starter Thread starter Idioteque
  • Start date Start date
I liked what the Eagles did. They only had 6 picks this year and they need a lot. Traded back, got an extra 3rd and I think M. Smith is a very underrated prospect that should be very good at getting sacks in the NFL. He really looks the part for an OLB/pass rusher.

I will bet you money he turns out better than Jarvis Jones.

Maybe and yes big need, but he would have (should have I know cant say 100%) been there at their 2nd round pick.

Maybe and yes big need, but he would have (should have I know cant say 100%) been there at their 2nd round pick.

I doubt he would have been available at pick#54, but that's me.

And M. Smith isn't nearly as much of a 1st round reach as J. James, D. Buchanon, J. Ward or D. Easley. And even Jason Varrett (in my opinion) who I think is just too undersized to be a 1st rounder. He's a slot corner and that seems a bit high to me. Just my opinion, but I had all 5 of those guys ranked behind Marcus Smith.

I have been picking Shazier for some time in my mock the mock drafts. For me there were five potential special defensive players in this draft and Shazier was the last left on the board. I heard the BS that he is an OLB only but his style fits perfect for a Mack backer. The one thing this says to me is the Steelers have little hope for Spence making the team.

Spence can play special teams.

Since when does who Jerry Jones want make it a good pick?

Not sure I think old Jerry has been drafting that well lately.

I thought Zack Martin was a pretty good rebound pick for them after just missing Shazier. Their draft was pretty miserable last year, though.

In my opinion, what I strongly would have done is trade back.

And the clear partner was Miami at #19. They desperately needed O-line and only one more round 1 quality O-lineman was left (Martin). Based on all the other trade ups in the 1st round, it was an easy #19 pick + #81 pick for our #15 pick (that's a 1st and a 3rd).

Let Miami get Martin. Let Dallas get Shazier.

To me it then comes down to either another trade down (which was possible) or pick Roby or Lee.

In a deep draft like this, we possibly could have turned our #15 pick into 2 more 3rd round picks PLUS Roby or Lee. Tell me that's not really logically a better course of action. That's especially true with how decent we've been with 3rd round picks lately.

That's a New England thing to do however, trading back and accumulating more lottery tickets in a very deep draft. Nope. We run to the podium again.

Stuff like this bothers me. Not seeing the forest from the trees. Missing opportunities to increase our chances of finding quality players. Falling too in love with certain players and picks and not realizing there is inherent risk in all of them (Shazier included).

Jerry Jones took sick when we drafted Shazier. Dallas was absolutely gonna draft him. Reports are out that Shazier was on the phone with the Cowboys when the Steelers drafted him..

And what a pure joy it was when I heard that, really made my night. :cool:

In my opinion, what I strongly would have done is trade back.

And the clear partner was Miami at #19. They desperately needed O-line and only one more round 1 quality O-lineman was left (Martin). Based on all the other trade ups in the 1st round, it was an easy #19 pick + #81 pick for our #15 pick (that's a 1st and a 3rd).

Let Miami get Martin. Let Dallas get Shazier.

To me it then comes down to either another trade down (which was possible) or pick Roby or Lee.

In a deep draft like this, we possibly could have turned our #15 pick into 2 more 3rd round picks PLUS Roby or Lee. Tell me that's not really logically a better course of action. That's especially true with how decent we've been with 3rd round picks lately.

That's a New England thing to do however, trading back and accumulating more lottery tickets in a very deep draft. Nope. We run to the podium again.

Stuff like this bothers me. Not seeing the forest from the trees. Missing opportunities to increase our chances of finding quality players. Falling too in love with certain players and picks and not realizing there is inherent risk in all of them (Shazier included).

Booooooooooooooooo! Sorry you don't get to invent trade down scenarios. You have no idea what Miami was willing to do, if anything. Put your name on who the Steelers should have picked at #15.

The one thing this says to me is the Steelers have little hope for Spence making the team.

Anything they get from Spence is a bonus. If Spence is healthy enough to play in a preseason game, that's a bonus. That's the mindset the Steelers have (and need to have) when it comes to a guy who was injured so severely that Keith Butler said it would be a "miracle" if he ever played again.

I've been reading this board for a helluva long time. The only opinion I give two ***** about is Dobs. He liked the pick. I'm happy.

Patrick Willis is 6'1" 240. NaVorro Bowman is 6' 242. This is their NFL playing weight. Shazier is coming out of college at 6'1" 237 and he's a better athlete.

Shazier is going to be a Mack/WILB, the playmaking, run-and-hit, sideline-to-sideline guy. He is not supposed to be getting blocked; that's the point of the 3-4 and his position. And how awesome will our ILB crossfire blitz be with Shazier/Timmons?

Also, wasn't Farrior playing the Buck at around 220 for at least a few years?

That would all make sense if Timmons wasn't the Mack and making a ton of money. They've wanted Timmons to play Buck but apparently he's been unable to make that switch. Now all of a sudden they're just saying screw it and moving him over. Why all of a sudden is he able to make the switch?

I mean they played a 6th round rookie there last year and gave him the green dot helmet to call the defense instead of Timmons.

And years ago the DL was much better and could keep the LBs clean. Now the ILBs will have to move through trash and may not be up to it.

That would all make sense if Timmons wasn't the Mack and making a ton of money. They've wanted Timmons to play Buck but apparently he's been unable to make that switch. Now all of a sudden they're just saying screw it and moving him over. Why all of a sudden is he able to make the switch?

I mean they played a 6th round rookie there last year and gave him the green dot helmet to call the defense instead of Timmons.

And years ago the DL was much better and could keep the LBs clean. Now the ILBs will have to move through trash and may not be up to it.

Timmons got the green dot during the season.

I thought I had read that Timmons was the one making the calls so I googled it. Scott Brown reported it was Timmons.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/77125/timmons-could-make-first-pro-bowl

On the other hand, BTSC says Timmons was helping Williams make the calls.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/steelers-vs-raiders-news-and-updates-leading-into-week-8/2013/10/26/5030934/steelers-raiders-injury-report-preview-predictions-lawrence-timmons

In any event, it seems that Timmons had more responsibility for play calls last year after Foote went down. So, maybe he's now up to the task (I know ... 7 years later. lol).

Pick out our new starting middle linebacker in this pic. My guess it's the guy on the left...

View attachment 71

And wouldn't have got him because Dallas was going to take him with the next pick. People are upset because they didn't trade down and take "their" guy, yet most wanted them to stay true to the board and pick BPA over need. It seems to me that Colbert/Tomlin basically said that's what they did.

Their guy was one of 19 that they liked at 15 according to Colbert.

Those quotes last night reminded me of Tomlin confidently calling Mike Adams a left Tackle last year during training camp.

So it is written, so it shall be done..........except when it cant.......

Timmons can play the Buck without the responsibility of what traditionally goes with it. Shazier can set the D from the Mack, and Timmons goes back to alerting the formation strength. Maybe this first year they have Timmons in the green dot. Dunno. But Shazier will have that role at some point.

When Foote went down last year, they said Timmons was gonna set it, and Timmons said he had experience at it. Maybe in practice or a preseason series somewhere along the road, but he never had real game experience with it before last year. And while the coaches said Timmons would do it, he didn't. Not initially. They are allowed two radio helmets, but can't have them on the field at the same time. They ended up splitting the duties between Williams and Kion Wilson. Williams set it in base, Wilson in packs, with Timmons assisting. Failed miserably, so they did end up giving the green dot to Timmons. Who also struggled. Fits were blown left and right from the back 2 levels. Brought Troy down quite a bit to settle things down and help Timmons get it set. And that worked ok-not-great, but better than it was.

Really out of sync. Like cracking open a Rolex and replacing the mainspring (Foote) with, I dunno, a sandwich. Just as well glue a toothpick to the face and convert it to a sundial. Glad that's all soon to be behind them.

I think far too much is made of the supposed Green dot/Buck handcuff. Why is it that the Mack can't call the plays?

Timmons can play the Buck without the responsibility of what traditionally goes with it. Shazier can set the D from the Mack, and Timmons goes back to alerting the formation strength. Maybe this first year they have Timmons in the green dot. Dunno. But Shazier will have that role at some point.

When Foote went down last year, they said Timmons was gonna set it, and Timmons said he had experience at it. Maybe in practice or a preseason series somewhere along the road, but he never had real game experience with it before last year. And while the coaches said Timmons would do it, he didn't. Not initially. They are allowed two radio helmets, but can't have them on the field at the same time. They ended up splitting the duties between Williams and Kion Wilson. Williams set it in base, Wilson in packs, with Timmons assisting. Failed miserably, so they did end up giving the green dot to Timmons. Who also struggled. Fits were blown left and right from the back 2 levels. Brought Troy down quite a bit to settle things down and help Timmons get it set. And that worked ok-not-great, but better than it was.

Really out of sync. Like cracking open a Rolex and replacing the mainspring (Foote) with, I dunno, a sandwich. Just as well glue a toothpick to the face and convert it to a sundial. Glad that's all soon to be behind them.

+1